Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emerging: Tribe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Aria
As part of the ongoing 2072 thread [IC post:here OoC post:here] I am introducing another sub-plot for a fresh group of characters that revolves around two very different urban tribes on the edge of the Puyallup barrens. Characters will use the standard 400BP character gen rules (+2xCha in contacts) but I ask that they be designed with a low power campaign in mind. I don’t want to put any specific restrictions on skill levels or availability of items but want you to consider it.

The two groups are the Mechanicals (a steampunk tribe that live off scavenged tech and make useful things with it for trade at the Crime Mall etc.) and the Fre∑dom Tribe (a mix of technomancer and hacker tribe that provide matrix services to the area, including a bit of pirating software etc.) They coexist in relative harmony with each other but are frequently targeted by some of the more robust thrill gangs in the area that like the look of what they have. PCs could be from either group or attached to them peripherally.

This will be a mix of gang style campaign and more traditional shadowrun activity with the two group leaders (Spindle and Prospero respectively) acting as Johnsons/Fixers when they need something doing.

There will be links to my other Emerging Games and I’m happy to consider PCs from those games crossing over if that’s appropriate.

Post any interest here and any questions you might have and then when you are ready to post a character I would like those in the 2072+ OoC thread linked above. Once we have some interest I will repeat this post in that OoC thread, hopefully updated with answers to any queries that get raised here.
ChromeZephyr
Sounds neat. I'd love to be a part of it, with more interest in the Mechanical side of the street. Are they all tinkers, or is there a division in the group between those who find and those who build?

edit: Also, what are the posting requirements? 1/day, 1/week, etc...
Mickle5125
Welp, since end of days is ending, I shall have to see what I can put together for this game. Street-level doesn't seem like it'd work for the "real" Mal...
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Oct 9 2012, 08:21 PM) *
Sounds neat. I'd love to be a part of it, with more interest in the Mechanical side of the street. Are they all tinkers, or is there a division in the group between those who find and those who build?

edit: Also, what are the posting requirements? 1/day, 1/week, etc...

I haven't finalised any details yet, happy to have player input into how it works. Off the top of my head I did compile a list of possible street names for members of the group for inspiration. Feel free to pinch one or come up with something completely different!
[ Spoiler ]

Posting requirements are fairly fluid in the 2072 thread. One a week would be nice but I'll not hold anyone to that. The more you post the more karma you get though smile.gif (it's 1 karma and 2500 nuyen per two posts in the IC thread)

QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Oct 10 2012, 01:07 AM) *
Welp, since end of days is ending, I shall have to see what I can put together for this game. Street-level doesn't seem like it'd work for the "real" Mal...

I thought you might be able to make an AI with 400BPs that could be sheltering with the Freedom lot?!? If you want to do something else that's fine too but it would be nice to have some continuation...
ChromeZephyr
Well, I'll start working on a character, then. I tend towards the plain and simple, so no wacky builds from me. Not having anything other than SR4 only makes that more obvious. wink.gif

I would think that there's some degree of separation between builders and finders, just because of mindsets. Yes, you'll have the mad-scientist style builders and the methodical, careful scavengers...but those are the exceptions that proves the rule, neh? Plus that lends towards internal politics, which is fun for GMs I've noticed. However you want to run it is fine with me, I was looking more at a scavenger with a mean streak, anyways.
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 10 2012, 06:02 AM) *
I thought you might be able to make an AI with 400BPs that could be sheltering with the Freedom lot?!? If you want to do something else that's fine too but it would be nice to have some continuation...

I'll see what I can do. Maybe Mal can fit in...
faultline
I wanted to post earlier, and state my interest but at the time no character concepts were coming to mind, but I've come up with a few ideas since but wanted to know a bit more of the direction your thinking of going with the 2 tribes so I have a few questions:

1)I'm taking not everyone in the Mechanicals or Fre∑dom tribes are going to be tinkers or hackers, thats just what they are known to specialize in correct?

2)Are you requiring a member of the Mechanicals or Fre∑dom tribes to have some knowledge/skill in the area of expertise of their resptictive tribe or does it not matter?

3)Are the Mechanicals strictly Steampunk, or are there other members who fit more into the Atompunk, Dieselpunk, or Teslapunk derivritaves?

Aria
QUOTE (faultline @ Oct 12 2012, 08:30 AM) *
I wanted to post earlier, and state my interest but at the time no character concepts were coming to mind, but I've come up with a few ideas since but wanted to know a bit more of the direction your thinking of going with the 2 tribes so I have a few questions:

1)I'm taking not everyone in the Mechanicals or Fre∑dom tribes are going to be tinkers or hackers, thats just what they are known to specialize in correct?

2)Are you requiring a member of the Mechanicals or Fre∑dom tribes to have some knowledge/skill in the area of expertise of their resptictive tribe or does it not matter?

3)Are the Mechanicals strictly Steampunk, or are there other members who fit more into the Atompunk, Dieselpunk, or Teslapunk derivritaves?

1) Correct smile.gif

2) Whilst it's fairly likely that they would at least have some related knowledge skills I'm not going to strictly enforce that if it doesn't fit your character concept - it's all collaborative at this stage.

3) I'm happy to consider anything if it makes for a diverse and interesting group, steampunk is a convinient label that sort of fits the image of them I have in mind - they certainly aren't going to be die hard purists, life's too difficult in the barrens as it is!
ChromeZephyr
Do you want to approve a character before it's posted in the OOC area, or just post it and update if changes are requested?
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Oct 12 2012, 09:34 PM) *
Do you want to approve a character before it's posted in the OOC area, or just post it and update if changes are requested?

Characters can go straight into the OoC. Any changes are likely to only be minor smile.gif I try and offer suggestions (provided stuff is RAW or a good reason not to be...)
ChromeZephyr
I've got the crunch figured out for the character, just trying to flesh the fluff out a bit more. Stick figure characters make me sad.
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Oct 16 2012, 04:15 PM) *
I've got the crunch figured out for the character, just trying to flesh the fluff out a bit more. Stick figure characters make me sad.

The more background depth you give me the more I've got to work with, hopefully the richer the game smile.gif
faultline
I'm kinda stuck atm I've been trying to pick which of the multiple concepts I've thought up I want to play more frown.gif

Machine Ghost
Is this intended for previous participants of 2072, or are noobs welcome? I'm new to Dumpshock. Been running on RPoL for a while. I've any idea for an Ork TM dronomancer for the Mechanicals. Heavy into the tech ware. Rigger and general tinker, although with the Daedalus paragon, the tinkering works best for him, not others. Add in a bit of Artisan skill, so the tinkering *looks* good. Since the steampunk look can be pure cosmetic, that negative for the paragon should not apply there. In prelim build, keeping in mind lower level, I'm spreading the points around to more skills. So far nothing higher than rating 2.

Questions: You say 'edge' of Puyallup barrens. Do you have a specific neighborhood rating in mind? I have also started customizing an advanced lifestyle that is basically low, but with various pos/neg qualities. Including roommates, which could be generic, or other PC / NPC characters / gang members if that makes sense.

Would a single Workspace lifestyle quality give enough space for both a hardware and automotive shop?

Would 'used' be allowed for gear purchases, and how much discount? Given the scenario, cash nuyen would be scarce, and scrounging / re-purposing / salvaging would be in. Building the character with Chummer. That allows adjustable used discount for base gear, but apparently not for addons.

How about an external weapon mount AR147 that has steampunk 'pimping' on it when the vehicle is taken somewhere 'public', but that can be replaced by a weapon when needed? With Artisan skill for the steampunk design and build. Wonder how often I could get away with a 'visible' 12F weapon mount, because it is holding 'steampunking' instead of a weapon smile.gif

I like the Sprogget street name for this PC.
Dakka Fiend
And another semi-noob (had another account here years ago, forgot both its name and the mail address I used) chiming in.
Think the Mechanicals could use a mascot? I'm looking at making a kid around 'bout 14, parents either in the can or just not that interested in him, maybe he's a distant cousin to Spindle, something like that.
Does a bit of scrounging, some tinkering, enjoys anything that vents steam, explodes or flies - preferably all at once.
Guess I'll have to give him a ton of Edge. wink.gif
Is it OK if I make him a Conjurer-Aspected Mystic Adept whose spirits look like steampunk contraptions and which he calls clanks?
Aria
QUOTE (faultline @ Oct 17 2012, 04:03 AM) *
I'm kinda stuck atm I've been trying to pick which of the multiple concepts I've thought up I want to play more frown.gif

Well this is one thread that can accommodate a player having multiple characters if you are up for the challenge smile.gif I guess the houserule on that is that you'd only earn karma for your posts as if you had one PC (much like I'm doing with the Balefire inserts you might have seen in the IC)

QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 17 2012, 04:47 AM) *
Is this intended for previous participants of 2072, or are noobs welcome? I'm new to Dumpshock. Been running on RPoL for a while. I've any idea for an Ork TM dronomancer for the Mechanicals. Heavy into the tech ware. Rigger and general tinker, although with the Daedalus paragon, the tinkering works best for him, not others. Add in a bit of Artisan skill, so the tinkering *looks* good. Since the steampunk look can be pure cosmetic, that negative for the paragon should not apply there. In prelim build, keeping in mind lower level, I'm spreading the points around to more skills. So far nothing higher than rating 2.

Questions: You say 'edge' of Puyallup barrens. Do you have a specific neighborhood rating in mind? I have also started customizing an advanced lifestyle that is basically low, but with various pos/neg qualities. Including roommates, which could be generic, or other PC / NPC characters / gang members if that makes sense.

Would a single Workspace lifestyle quality give enough space for both a hardware and automotive shop?

Would 'used' be allowed for gear purchases, and how much discount? Given the scenario, cash nuyen would be scarce, and scrounging / re-purposing / salvaging would be in. Building the character with Chummer. That allows adjustable used discount for base gear, but apparently not for addons.

How about an external weapon mount AR147 that has steampunk 'pimping' on it when the vehicle is taken somewhere 'public', but that can be replaced by a weapon when needed? With Artisan skill for the steampunk design and build. Wonder how often I could get away with a 'visible' 12F weapon mount, because it is holding 'steampunking' instead of a weapon smile.gif

I like the Sprogget street name for this PC.

Any and all are welcome!

I've created a character Cam for one of Thanee's games. He's a mechanical. I've taken dependants 5BP and day job (enforcer) 5BP as a way of simulating his role. Contacts I have Spindle [Rat Shaman & Mechanicals Leader][L:3 C:3],
The Mechanicals [Urban Tribe][L:3 C:2 G:4 ], Fre∑dom [Hacker Tribe][L:1 C:3 G:5 ], purely as an example! I can explain the group breakdowns if you want me to... His lifestyle is: Crash Pad [Comforts:Low Entertainment:Low Necessities:Low Neighbourhood:Low Security:Low] Workplace, Homegrown Farming, Concerned Neighbours, Living by Comittee, 3200¥ / month. Yes to the workplace question...there's lots of it going round for the tribe!

I think we'll keep 'used' for ingame purchases - it just makes my head ache less! Happy for you to buy used vehicles though, you tell me the mark down and I'll tell you how wonky they get ork.gif

Steampunk away smile.gif

I've updated the 2072 map - links in the original OoC thread. The Freedom lot are in what is currently the South Hill Mall, the Mechanicals slightly further east. This is below the 'nicer' Puyallup district and west of the crime mall.

QUOTE (Dakka Fiend @ Oct 17 2012, 12:40 PM) *
And another semi-noob (had another account here years ago, forgot both its name and the mail address I used) chiming in.
Think the Mechanicals could use a mascot? I'm looking at making a kid around 'bout 14, parents either in the can or just not that interested in him, maybe he's a distant cousin to Spindle, something like that.
Does a bit of scrounging, some tinkering, enjoys anything that vents steam, explodes or flies - preferably all at once.
Guess I'll have to give him a ton of Edge. wink.gif
Is it OK if I make him a Conjurer-Aspected Mystic Adept whose spirits look like steampunk contraptions and which he calls clanks?

Go for it! Sounds good to me. Now I really must get back to work so...
Mickle5125
Mal has fairly recently discovered the joys of techy-toys. So he's joined the gangs as a way to gain new puppets. No, he's not messing with the script-kiddies (for now). He's messing with their drones and the like.

Question: does the karma/income from End of Days carry over? or do you just want a new build of Mal?
ChromeZephyr
Character added to the OoC thread.
Mickle5125
Pretty sure THIS is the OOC thread...
Aria
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Oct 18 2012, 03:51 AM) *
Pretty sure THIS is the OOC thread...

Nope, Chrome has it right - this game will be a sub thread of the 2072 game and use that ic and ooc. They are linked at the beginning of this recruitment thread.
Aria
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Oct 17 2012, 10:47 PM) *
Mal has fairly recently discovered the joys of techy-toys. So he's joined the gangs as a way to gain new puppets. No, he's not messing with the script-kiddies (for now). He's messing with their drones and the like.

Question: does the karma/income from End of Days carry over? or do you just want a new build of Mal?

I'm happy for it to carry over but make a note of it in your sheet as the rules are slightly different in the 2072 thread
Nightfalke
I would definitely be interested in joining up. I am working through the crunch and fluff for a Technomancer "Summoner" that would work with the Fre∑dom Tribe. He sees himself as an emissary from the Deep Matrix, and speaker for the sprites.

I should be able to post the character today in the OOC thread, maybe tomorrow (depending on how busy work is... wink.gif )
ChromeZephyr
Should I make an establishing post in the IC thread for Scrapheap, Aria? Or are you going to do that when this sub-plot gets up-and-going?
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Oct 18 2012, 04:31 PM) *
Should I make an establishing post in the IC thread for Scrapheap, Aria? Or are you going to do that when this sub-plot gets up-and-going?

Happy for you to do so, although if you can wait for the end of the week I'll try and post some more established info about each tribe in the OoC...might help?!?

Timeline wise I'm thinking that events for E:T will happen around September
Aria
QUOTE (Nightfalke @ Oct 18 2012, 02:45 PM) *
I would definitely be interested in joining up. I am working through the crunch and fluff for a Technomancer "Summoner" that would work with the Fre∑dom Tribe. He sees himself as an emissary from the Deep Matrix, and speaker for the sprites.

Was hoping at least somebody would want to join these guys smile.gif
Forces In Motion
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 18 2012, 12:10 PM) *
Was hoping at least somebody would want to join these guys smile.gif

I was actually considering making up an E-scapist technomancer for the Fre∑dom Tribe...either an older hacker that was caught in the Matrix during the last Crash, or a teenager that just ran away from home...just trying to decide which concept to use for it. smile.gif Sounds like an interesting story and group to be part of.
Machine Ghost
Questions first, although context for some below:
- What is the typical age range for tribe members? I am gathering from context that this will be quite young.
- I was considering using the Living at Home lifestyle quality, but not sure that would be appropriate for tribe members. Would an Ork family be living in tribal space?
- I am remembering bits of information about urban tribes, but can not seem to find a reference searching through the books on hand. Got any reference pointers?
- how much of the negative lifestyle qualities for the living space carry over to the workspace? The workspace is basically an empty shop, with tools purchased separate from the lifestyle, so I am *hoping* that household gremlins is not going to cut the power to the shop too often. Gremlins fits nicely with the ongoing improvements story. Things that just have not been fixed yet, due to other priorities.
- Analytical Mind RC96 says [also] provides +2 dice pool modifier to any Data Search and Software Tests. Would threading count as a Software Test (Software + Resonance)? Even if not, I assume that can be used as bonus for finding / figuring out how to use scavenged equipment for alternate purposes.

QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 17 2012, 11:33 AM) *
{snip .. snip}
Any and all are welcome!

I've created a character Cam for one of Thanee's games. He's a mechanical. I've taken dependants 5BP and day job (enforcer) 5BP as a way of simulating his role. Contacts I have Spindle [Rat Shaman & Mechanicals Leader][L:3 C:3],
The Mechanicals [Urban Tribe][L:3 C:2 G:4 ], Fre∑dom [Hacker Tribe][L:1 C:3 G:5 ], purely as an example! I can explain the group breakdowns if you want me to... His lifestyle is: Crash Pad [Comforts:Low Entertainment:Low Necessities:Low Neighbourhood:Low Security:Low] Workplace, Homegrown Farming, Concerned Neighbours, Living by Comittee, 3200¥ / month. Yes to the workplace question...there's lots of it going round for the tribe!
Group breakdown appreciated. My initial guess would be [RC124]
Mechanicals: +1 +1 +1 +1
Fre∑dom: +1 +1 +1 +2
But that makes the tribes smaller than I expected.

How does that work in game with both the Mechanicals tribe and tribe leader as contacts?

QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 17 2012, 11:33 AM) *
I think we'll keep 'used' for ingame purchases - it just makes my head ache less! Happy for you to buy used vehicles though, you tell me the mark down and I'll tell you how wonky they get ork.gif

Steampunk away smile.gif
{snip .. snip}

Vehicles [and drones] was actually all I was thinking about for used prices anyway smile.gif

Given the Sprogget interests and skill set, *wonky* is just fine. As long as effort on repairs and upgrades after purchase can negate that. Given the 'scrounging' theme, starting from a totally non-working piece of equipment is valid. Scrounge parts, and creatively re-purpose, repair and upgrade from there. There is likely to always be something sitting in the shop that is not currently usable.

I will ask though about interaction with purchased equipment (with modifications] and Paragon disadvantages. Specifically Daedalus UW150, and the -2 modifier for other users of the equipment. I will at least hope that a straight repair does not incur that cost, so that Sprogget can do some repair work on the side. Customizations [for others] not such a good idea. The 'useful' things he builds to sell at the crime mall could be somewhat 'interesting'.

Cash is going to be very tight for the character build, to keep with the scenario. Looks like I will buy at least one used vehicle, that will not be running very well at creation. It will be in the shop getting repairs and upgrades to start with. My memory says that hardware upgrades cost half the list price when doing the upgrade yourself, but I can not find the reference. Is that correct, and would that apply to vehicles as well?. If so, can I purchasing upgrade parts during character build at half price that are not installed yet? For this scenario, I think I also need to budget for consumables used up during the repair process. How much compared to the discounted purchase price?

Now for the big piece:

Several pieces of this should be in spoiler blocks to make for easier reading. My searches have not found out how to create those yet though frown.gif

Here is a 'design' for a lifestyle that I intend to use with the Sprogget PC. Suggestions appreciated, to help fit to the known location and abilities for the Mechanicals tribe. Potentially this could be the main 'base' for the tribe. Some pieces left vague here, which should make it fairly easy to tweak a bit, how large the tribe is, how spread out they, how big this particular building is, etc.

Start with a industrial facility / warehouse, that has ground floor access to some drive in bays to use for workshop space. My current design is based on a 2 or three story layout, with the top floors converted from office space to apartments and suites. Parts of the lower floor may have been converted as well, but significant workshop space still exists. Could be extended to use below ground space as well, which would make some of the Privacy lifestyle qualifiers a better fit.

I am thinking that when the Tribe first found the site, everything was at the squatter lifestyle level. Over time, and as more of the tribe moved in, significant improvements have been made. Given the general tribal skill set, they are great scroungers, with good [re]building skills to creatively re-purpose things they can get their hands on. Their main 'theme' is tech, but there should be enough overlap to also do the architectural / engineering side of the remodeling. They would have some engineering skill to be able to make 'useful things' to sell at the mall.

The tribe members are still quite individual, so the renovations were not really done to an overall plan. The improvements were rather organic, as one piece of office space at a time was converted to match the desires of the individuals doing the work. With units expanded, subdivided, merged over time. That means that the individual units available today come with a wide range of properties. Just about the only commonality is neighborhood, unless it would be valid to consider the warehouse space big enough to have variation across the building.

Capable residents are expected to contribute to building / infrastructure maintenance and improvements. As well as assistance with security patrols. Would that be enough to take the Day Job character quality?

The concept as it stands seems to be compatible with lifestyle qualities of:

** Positive **
[ Spoiler ]
** Negative **
[ Spoiler ]

Assuming the Mechanicals 'manage' the building, the common qualities I expect would be from:
[ Spoiler ]

From that, the Lifestyle I am building for Sprogget is:
[ Spoiler ]

I considered "Easy-Going Landlord", but figured that since most of the cash outlay ends up going to protection/security, it might not be appropriate.

Sprogget and the lifestyle. For infrastructure renovation and maintenance, he has [will have] access to a tutor sprite with the Proficiency power AR156. I do not see which SR4 skill directly applies to architecture / building construction and remodeling, but as a minimum a tutor sprite with a architecture or engineering professional knowsoft should be a good start. He can also run a sprite to do a shift on matrix security.

Main part of the character build done, but still balancing the last few points and equipment. Still need to write up the character profile information. I have most of it in my head, but need to get it down where I can actually use it.

Edited just to add some spoiler tags, to make overall reading easier.
Dakka Fiend
@Machine Ghost

For spoilers, put things in spoiler tags:
CODE
[spoiler]
spoilered stuff
[/spoiler]

As for age, I don't think there's a problem with you playing a wisened elder, say 25. nyahnyah.gif
Aria
Wow, epic post biggrin.gif

Will try and respond on Monday. Sleep now nyahnyah.gif
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Dakka Fiend @ Oct 20 2012, 02:38 AM) *
@Machine Ghost

For spoilers, put things in spoiler tags:
CODE
[spoiler]
spoilered stuff
[/spoiler]

Obvious when you see it. Just was not in any of the references I found. Thanks
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 20 2012, 04:13 PM) *

Maybe I'll have the rest ready by then, other than adjustments based on the response cool.gif
faultline
Character is in the works. I finally decided to just mix the two concepts I was having trouble deciding between and make the best of it. Character should be up sometime Monday.

BTW Whats would the Loyalty and Connection rating for the Fre∑dom Tribes leader be as a contact for a member of the tribe?

Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 20 2012, 04:13 PM) *

It's Monday where I am {grin}.

Another big post as I flesh out character details, and prepare for some expected in game actions.

Would you like to use the designed [adjusted as needed] converted warehouse IC for other PC/NPC? If so pick a few details to fit the in game environment you would like to start with: physical size [foot print, number of floors, sq meters]; current population; residents mixture [tribe vs outsiders, PC vs NPC]; who the official management is. I'll use any extra information to tweak some character build details, whether you want to include in game or not.

To go with the converted warehouse, I would like to use a Day Job negative quality, specified as working *for* the 'community association' / warehouse 'management'. Job details to vary depending on warehouse details. Sprogget could even act as the 'super'. The general job concept is Mr.FixIt for the converted units. With his own skills plus drones plus sprites, he should be able to cover a lot of territory in areas needed by the management: Security, infrastructure maintenance, upgrades. The question that goes with this, is how much 'value' can be associated with the Day Job, and which Day Job levels are appropriate. Probably no cash, given the back story, but perhaps can trade for lifestyle costs. Given enough here, Sprogget can upgrade to Middle [equivalent] lifestyle, and still stay 'in role'. Saying both that the work is paying for the extras, and that working there means knowing the place well enough to 'find' one of the better units.

Would lifestyle quality bonuses apply to compiled or registered sprites? How about to visitors Sprogget brings home? Feng Shui +3 to technical skills; In Tune +2 to all resonance-based tests when physically at home. If that In Tune carries over to guests, Sprogget is going to end up with a TM GF smile.gif Also the Crash Pad negative quality is going to attract TMs. If applies to sprites, I assume that 'physically at home' means either the home CHN, or the PC bionode when PC is at home.

Does that Feng Shui technical skill bonus apply to threading, which is Software + Resonance?

Can a TM use an autosoft CF [and how]? autosofts are normally only used as 'improvements' to drone pilot programs. They do not run standalone. Can a TM use an autosoft CF to temporarily upgrade the pilot of a node he is subscribed to? I had not thought this was valid, but I noticed when using the Chummer program that it allowed buying autosoft CFs. Could be an error there of course.

This question turned up in a different forum thread, but repeat here: The Proficiency sprite power UW156 has information about using a tutor sprite skillsoft as an instructor or tutorsoft, and as as AR or VR assistant to avoid defaulting when the user does not have the appropriate skill. A detail that is missing, is what effect skillsoft + Proficiency has when the user already has the needed skill. Normal teamwork does not seem quite right, since the dice pool limit [based on user skill level] could be less than the sprite rate / 2 that would be obtained without the skill. No skill plus rating 3 or 4 tutor sprite give equivalent of skill(2), although slow. What to do with skill(1) plus sprite(4)?

Sensitive System is an 'easy' negative quality to take for a TM that is not intending to take any implants anyway. It fits in game, since implants reduce maximum resonance, directly affecting their TM abilities. Their body would 'fight' implants. Reasonable quality to take?

The Daedalus Paragon UW150 negative is for devices built or modified by the TM. That should not apply to direct repairs, to get back to factory spec?. The corresponding advantage is +2 dice to Hardware Tests. Hardware SR4A127 is a skill in the Electronics group, and is for computers and electronic devices. Would the negative carry over to other skills like artisan or automotive mechanic? Those could include nodes and peripheral devices where customization could apply the negative, but normal repairs, and most [non device node related] upgrades should not have problems. Looking for the scope of where he, or people that know him, have discovered that it is not the best idea for him to do work, unless for his personal use. [grin] Maybe some of the converted units in the warehouse with the Household Gremlins lifestyle quality were from something he worked on [/grin]. He should at least be able to use tutor sprites and skillsofts to do plans and verifications for changes [don't take out that wall, you will weaken the support for the roof: there is a good spot to connect to building power just over here, without tripping breakers all the time: this needs to be a bigger pipe, to carry enough water for units down at this end]

For the Day Job, some abilities that fit:
[ Spoiler ]

Aria
Ok, will try and deal with the mamoth posts in order, and add in some spoiler tags to condense things a bit smile.gif My responses in the quoted text should be in red...

I'll work on the "useful info" posts and stick them up in the OoC and try and replicate them here too...

QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 20 2012, 08:37 AM) *
Questions first, although context for some below:
General Queries
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Other
[ Spoiler ]

Lifestyle
[ Spoiler ]

QUOTE (faultline @ Oct 21 2012, 11:10 AM) *
Character is in the works. I finally decided to just mix the two concepts I was having trouble deciding between and make the best of it. Character should be up sometime Monday.

BTW Whats would the Loyalty and Connection rating for the Fre∑dom Tribes leader be as a contact for a member of the tribe?

Prospero has a connection rating of 3, loyalty will be down to you and your back story smile.gif

QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 22 2012, 08:35 AM) *
It's Monday where I am {grin}.
[ Spoiler ]

Phew, end of my lunch break...just made it
Aria
The Useful Info Post is up in the OoC thread. Hopefully that will answer some questions (and possibly raise more). I will update it as things get firmed up.

Just a side note, the 2072 map for Seattle can be added to by anyone with the link so feel free to add your important locations to it, it helps me to visualise where you think things are smile.gif
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 22 2012, 06:46 AM) *
Ok, will try and deal with the mamoth posts in order, and add in some spoiler tags to condense things a bit smile.gif My responses in the quoted text should be in red...
And Machine Ghose will use this color

I'll work on the "useful info" posts and stick them up in the OoC and try and replicate them here too...
Instead of replicating, a simple link should work.
useful info
OoC post 2 containing links

[snip .. snip]

so I am *hoping* that household gremlins is not going to cut the power to the shop too often. Gremlins fits nicely with the ongoing improvements story. Things that just have not been fixed yet, due to other priorities.
If it's fun it'll carry over, what can I say, I have an evil streak sometimes ork.gif
I knew there was a good reason to have fire resistance on that armor. And Insulation for when the power goes out. I guess if I want to get the positive lifestyle qualities in the shop [In Tune], I have to take the negatives too. beret.gif
[snip .. snip]

Group breakdown appreciated. My initial guess would be
[snip .. snip]
Not quite, I was going with +2 size (up to 100 people), +1 district influence, +1 limited magic for the Mechanicals and +2 size, +1 district influence, +2 broad matrix for the Freedom tribe. Note, Freedom have a couple of adepts that use the matrix but they are not sufficiently different to warrant a magic point, at least that was my thinking.
That works. The point of magic for mechanicals fits with my description for the converted warehouse [now complex instead of single building]. A bit of magic from residents for random low level astral patrol. Which could be 'limited' to specific buildings, to make astral security variable across the complex.
[snip .. snip]

My memory says that hardware upgrades cost half the list price when doing the upgrade yourself, but I can not find the reference. Is that correct, and would that apply to vehicles as well?. If so, can I purchasing upgrade parts during character build at half price that are not installed yet? For this scenario, I think I also need to budget for consumables used up during the repair process. How much compared to the discounted purchase price?
Without dredging the books (Arsenal presumably), I'm not sure. I tend to gloss over such things anyway so I'm happy for you to aquire stuff like parts during the game with a minimal amount of fuss - it's what the group does after all. If you haven't got it someone in the group will have, they can let you have it, you can let them have something they need, now or later...
I found / reread read.gif some of the details about equipment modifications. Looks like the lists price IS the parts only price, since the same section (yes Arsenal) also lists the specific skills needed to install the mods. SR4A332 says "Shops and facilities both are stocked with standard spare parts" and "At the gamemaster’s discretion, certain specialized tools or unusual parts may need to be acquired separately". The information I have found does not mention it, but I would *expect* that the 'stock' needs to be refreshed, just like a Medkit SR4A337. Reviewing the kit and shop information though, it looks like I should have a *3rd* shop for Artisan. I'll start with just a kit, saying that at least initially the automotive and hardware shops overlap enough [for steampunk] that a separate shop is not really need. The standard tools can be re-purposed.
Pay it forward works just fine. I'll just have to note that any time the PC is scrounging, that he needs to pick up extra 'interesting' things that he does not currently need, but that others might.

[snip .. snip]

Start with a industrial facility / warehouse, that has ground floor access to some drive in bays to use for workshop space. My current design is based on a 2 or three story layout, with the top floors converted from office space to apartments and suites. Parts of the lower floor may have been converted as well, but significant workshop space still exists. Could be extended to use below ground space as well, which would make some of the Privacy lifestyle qualifiers a better fit.
Sounds good so far...they are probably in a series of industrial buildings. Note the Freedom tribe have the mall to the north of you. The 2072 map is linked in post 2 of the OoC thread...
I noticed that the Scrapheap and Spring links from OoC post 2 containing links are broken, in the Emerging: Tribes block. I have been playing with some Seattle SR4 mapping using Google Earth, but do not know how to publish that for others to see. Now I need to figure out how to do the same in google maps.
[snip .. snip]

Resonance Well [love to stick this on the building management nexus, but Fre∑dom would be seriously wanting to move in, and probably spending all their time trying to protect it smile.gif]
Yeah, leave something for the Freedom lot to play with - they probably have one at the mall
If they do, and Sprogget finds out, he is going to be wangling for VR visiting rights! Just to feel the resonance. For most things, that gives the same bonus as "In Tune", but when away from home, bouncing in there to compile a sprite sounds so good! Maybe for submersion too?
[snip .. snip]

Does that Feng Shui technical skill bonus apply to threading, which is Software + Resonance?
Pretty certain threading is a resonance not a technical skill...more thought needed on that one perhaps...but don't want TMs to be too good
Agree on the 'too good'. Question came up because I noticed that Software is a technical skill, so at that level both bonuses apply. This is still a limited bonus, because both only apply when physically at home. Just makes the prep work [a lot] more powerful. Would make it more practical to use a registered sprite as 'live in' matrix security for the building management node, as part of that Day Job
[snip .. snip]

This question turned up in a different forum thread, but repeat here: The Proficiency sprite power UW156 has information about using a tutor sprite skillsoft as an instructor or tutorsoft, and as as AR or VR assistant to avoid defaulting when the user does not have the appropriate skill. A detail that is missing, is what effect skillsoft + Proficiency has when the user already has the needed skill. Normal teamwork does not seem quite right, since the dice pool limit [based on user skill level] could be less than the sprite rate / 2 that would be obtained without the skill. No skill plus rating 3 or 4 tutor sprite give equivalent of skill(2), although slow. What to do with skill(1) plus sprite(4)?
The karma rules in this thread are a little different from normal. Once you have the karma (by posting) you can spend it how you want when you want, even mid scene. I know it's not completely realistic but given that pbp games are often slooow it seems to work ok.
The question was not about spending karma after instruction tests. It was about using the tutor sprite with skillsoft and proficiency power to assist in a specific task. Say Sprogget has 1 point of Demolitions skill and wants to use a tutor sprite to do a better job of blowing a hole in a wall without taking everything down.
[snip .. snip]

My adjusted view of the lifestyle situation:
Series of [converted] Industrial buildings, probably of various sizes and layouts. Mostly 2 or 3 floors above ground, typically 1 or 2 below ground. For some industrial, there could be a lot more below ground. Units below ground would be good for some of the physical and astral privacy qualifiers. Buildings linked with mix of: underground tunnel, covered walkway, overhead walkway [called plus 15 / plus 30 around here]. Treat the whole complex as a community, with some shared security, but enough variation that individual buildings / units could have different necessities / security ratings. Leaves significant leeway for renovations, to get a real range of lifestyles and lifestyle qualities. Even more than the single large facility I started with, including some extra lifestyle qualities I was rejecting based on the 'design'.

With the tribe being a significant percentage of the residents, at least in some of the buildings, and the pay it back/forward attitude from scrounging tech, the Easy-Going Landlord quality fits again.

Do you envision this to be near 100% tribal 'owned'? Your 'Established Facts' says 20-30 active combatants, approx 100 people total. What sort of non-tribal mix 'belongs' in the living spaces?
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 22 2012, 10:34 AM) *
The Useful Info Post is up in the OoC thread. Hopefully that will answer some questions (and possibly raise more). I will update it as things get firmed up.

Just a side note, the 2072 map for Seattle can be added to by anyone with the link so feel free to add your important locations to it, it helps me to visualize where you think things are smile.gif
Mentioned in another post that I have been doing some playing with adding content to goggle earth. Turns out trivial to take that content and add it to the goggle map. Just need to export each object as kml, then import it to the map. I had to manually break the Puyallup border though, because the shape I had it in 'auto selected' every time I clicked inside it. I moved the existing crime mall marker from 136ave at 122st to 136st at 122ave.

Also, would you like to provide a bit of a color key, to help with consistency?
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 23 2012, 12:05 AM) *
If they do, and Sprogget finds out, he is going to be wangling for VR visiting rights! Just to feel the resonance. For most things, that gives the same bonus as "In Tune", but when away from home, bouncing in there to compile a sprite sounds so good! Maybe for submersion too?
Good job the tribes are friendly isn’t it? smile.gif

The question was not about spending karma after instruction tests. It was about using the tutor sprite with skillsoft and proficiency power to assist in a specific task. Say Sprogget has 1 point of Demolitions skill and wants to use a tutor sprite to do a better job of blowing a hole in a wall without taking everything down.
Let’s look it up if the situation arises. We try and stick to RAW as much as possible so no doubt there’s a reading of that, but it sounds reasonable to me…

My adjusted view of the lifestyle situation:
Series of [converted] Industrial buildings, probably of various sizes and layouts. Mostly 2 or 3 floors above ground, typically 1 or 2 below ground. For some industrial, there could be a lot more below ground. Units below ground would be good for some of the physical and astral privacy qualifiers. Buildings linked with mix of: underground tunnel, covered walkway, overhead walkway [called plus 15 / plus 30 around here]. Treat the whole complex as a community, with some shared security, but enough variation that individual buildings / units could have different necessities / security ratings. Leaves significant leeway for renovations, to get a real range of lifestyles and lifestyle qualities. Even more than the single large facility I started with, including some extra lifestyle qualities I was rejecting based on the 'design'.
Fits with what I had in mind

With the tribe being a significant percentage of the residents, at least in some of the buildings, and the pay it back/forward attitude from scrounging tech, the Easy-Going Landlord quality fits again.
No problem

Do you envision this to be near 100% tribal 'owned'? Your 'Established Facts' says 20-30 active combatants, approx 100 people total. What sort of non-tribal mix 'belongs' in the living spaces?

The Mechanicals have been there a while so I would guess that there are people on the outskirts who don’t want to be part of the tribe but who live there for protection and provide various services to the group. Say an additional 20-30 people. The Freedom lot haven’t been there as long and it’s a single building so that will be closer to 100% (They forced out the thrill gang that lived there which didn’t win them any favours! But that Resonance Well was too appealing biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 23 2012, 08:17 AM) *
Mentioned in another post that I have been doing some playing with adding content to goggle earth. Turns out trivial to take that content and add it to the goggle map. Just need to export each object as kml, then import it to the map. I had to manually break the Puyallup border though, because the shape I had it in 'auto selected' every time I clicked inside it.
Glad you understand all that lol

I moved the existing crime mall marker from 136ave at 122st to 136st at 122ave.

Doh, ah well, I’m not an American if that’s any excuse?

Also, would you like to provide a bit of a color key, to help with consistency?

That would be a good idea, it’s starting to fill up…I’ll have a go at rationalising it if I get a chance.

How about:
Key Locations/Groups: Cyan+black dot
Key Locations/Individuals: Cyan
Run Targets: Red+black dot
Encounters: Red
Runner Pads: Blue+black dot
Contacts Locations: Blue

Can you think of others?
mister__joshua
Hey Aria. I'd be tempted to jump in on this if it looks like being a bit more populated than the Cirlces of Power game. I love the Circles idea though so if that game will be running pretty soon let me know. I could always play both? Though as you know I can sometimes get behind on posts doing that sort of thing
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Oct 23 2012, 03:01 PM) *
Hey Aria. I'd be tempted to jump in on this if it looks like being a bit more populated than the Cirlces of Power game. I love the Circles idea though so if that game will be running pretty soon let me know. I could always play both? Though as you know I can sometimes get behind on posts doing that sort of thing

Go ahead! You are free to play both...I'm hoping we'll get some more interest in the CoP game but if it's in the 2072 thread I'm happy to run it with fewer and more sporadically.
Aria
Thanks to everyone that has put sheets up in the OoC thread already, still room for more smile.gif

Sorry to be a pain but I think I will give you your tribe in contact BPs for free so you have a little more to play with. Seems unfair to make you part of a tribe and make you pay for it smile.gif

Outsiders still need to buy either a single contact in the tribe or the whole tribe.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 23 2012, 11:17 AM) *
Thanks to everyone that has put sheets up in the OoC thread already, still room for more smile.gif

Sorry to be a pain but I think I will give you your tribe in contact BPs for free so you have a little more to play with. Seems unfair to make you part of a tribe and make you pay for it smile.gif

Outsiders still need to buy either a single contact in the tribe or the whole tribe.
Oh Goody biggrin.gif a few more points to put into contacts (at least).

In prep for first IC posts, some timeline information would help.
  • How long have the Mechanicals been at their current location?
  • How long has Fre∑dom ∑ been at their new location?
  • As mentioned in a recent OoC post, what will be the date for the first Emerging: Tribes IC posts?
  • Your group information for the Mechanicals shows 0 matrix resources. Does that mean that they do not have web site / facebook page where members can send information to each other, about scrounging finds or wants?
  • Could the group piggyback on Fre∑dom's resources for that?
Got some characters over in OoC, so I'll move other Emerging: Tribes comments and questions over there.

@Aria, unless you want to keep them here?
Dakka Fiend
Whee, extra points! D

Updated the sheet with these changes:
added Double Jointed, can't believe I forgot about it the first time round
added new contact, Milena, a street hustler working near (with?) the Crime Mall
changed adept powers:
dropped Flexibility from 2 to 1
raised Freefall from 1 to 2, yeah to dropping 4 metres w/o having to soak damage
faultline
My character will be up sometime this week, the plan was to have it up Monday like i posted, but I ran into some computer issue's frown.gif and Charter has been doing some work on the cable lines where live so they've been down most of all day.

Noticed that you mentioned the Fre∑dom Tribe live in one building, so is that going to be a "free" lifestyle or did you want it broken down a specific way on our characters.
Aria
I've moved your questions etc over to the OoC thread...hopefully everything can be contained there now smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012