Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Star Citizen
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
faultline
Hey thought I'd throw this up here for anyone who's a big fan of space combat sims, like wing commander, this may be for you.

EDIT: almost forgot the link Star Citizen
Adarael
I'm not gonna lie. I'm way excited, even if I logically think it will not live up to my expectations. I just want Chris Roberts back making games.
CanRay
Chris Roberts has to shut up and take my money! And make his game.
_Pax._
It looks gorgeous, but I'm not sure a PvP-ish flight sim is where I want to go with my gaming dollars. smile.gif
Sid Nitzerglobin
Looks and sounds like it could be very cool (some of the interview stuff sounded a lot like X3 mixed w/ EVE to me) but I'd be worried about them being able to deliver on everything and what sounds like a pretty limited SP campaign.
CanRay
I'm just happy to have a space fighter sim again. I miss them.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 16 2012, 08:56 PM) *
I'm just happy to have a space fighter sim again. I miss them.

I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had playing Freespace online with my roommate. The semi-open PvP aspect of it mixed with AI ships was incredibly fun. If anyone can do this project, it's Chris Roberts.
faultline
they now have a Kickstarter page up Star Citizen Kickstarter

...yet another game I'm going to have to throw a chunk of money at.

Sid Nitzerglobin
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Oct 18 2012, 02:02 PM) *
I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had playing Freespace online with my roommate. The semi-open PvP aspect of it mixed with AI ships was incredibly fun. If anyone can do this project, it's Chris Roberts.

Loved Freespace. The mod tools were almost as fun as the game too, IMO.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (faultline @ Oct 18 2012, 11:24 AM) *
they now have a Kickstarter page up Star Citizen Kickstarter

...yet another game I'm going to have to throw a chunk of money at.

I threw $125 at it. What have I got to lose?
almost normal
It's going to use the Occulus headset too. I'm liable to pick one up should this game actually pan out. I've already got an expensive surround sound headphone setup. I can't tell if I want to get the headset or the gajillion bullshit peripherals Saitek puts out.
Tanegar
I would really like to see somebody make something like Battlecruiser 3000; only, you know, good.
X-Kalibur
I'd love a larger, more engaging (gameplay wise) version of Infinite Space. For a DS game it was superb but they could do so much more with it.
Adarael
I second this wish.
X-Kalibur
I also want someone to do (with Star Citizen level of detail) a Heavy Gear game set during the war between the North and South.
Adarael
Maybe not Star Citizen level of detail, but there IS a new Heavy Gear game being made!

http://www.stompybot.com/
Tanegar
Happy day! There aren't nearly enough mecha games. Here's hoping it doesn't suck.
faultline
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Oct 19 2012, 12:48 PM) *
I'd love a larger, more engaging (gameplay wise) version of Infinite Space. For a DS game it was superb but they could do so much more with it.

Being a fan of the Masters of Orion series I was hoping that Infinate Space would have been beter than it was, I was severely dissapointed when I got to try it out at a friends.
faultline
Wow just checked in at the SC kickstarter page and they're almost at the halfway mark already.

EDIT: and thats not counting the direct funding they've gotten through their website
Falconer
I think I may actually back this one. Anyone have an idea what the difference between digital scout and scout is? They both say the exact same thing!

Though thanks for pointing out they're now on kickstarter... I'm a bit more comfortable with that.
faultline
QUOTE (Falconer @ Oct 19 2012, 09:53 PM) *
I think I may actually back this one. Anyone have an idea what the difference between digital scout and scout is? They both say the exact same thing!

Though thanks for pointing out they're now on kickstarter... I'm a bit more comfortable with that.

SCOUT: A digital copy of the finished game for your PC with your RSI Aurora spaceship ready to fly + 1,000 Galatic Credits + Exclusive access to the Beta + White Citizens Card (physical reward)

DIGITAL SCOUT: A digital copy of the finished game for your PC with your RSI Aurora spaceship ready to fly + 1,000 Galatic Credits + Exclusive access to the Alpha
+ Beta (digital tier, no physical rewards)

there ya go.
Falconer
Just heads up... last day on their kickstarter/online campaign is today.

Kind of surprised they blew through all their goals...
Tanegar
Alas, I must save my money so I can throw it at the Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary Kickstarter when it opens.
taeksosin
Think I'll have to buy in at the $60 mark. I loved Freelancer, this seems like a good way to waste lots of time.
CanRay
Now to wait for the game. frown.gif
X-Kalibur
They actually hit the 5 million mark I believe. Making them highest crowd funded game yet.
Falconer
One thing I don't like is they say it's not pay to win... but now I learned they have some kind of ship insurance for backers. IE: if you pledged for that... you'll never lose that ship. And provided you do it before the game releases you can upgrade your permanently insured ship type if you're already in and backed it at the 30+ level.

When I hear that i think of people who spend for one of the bigger ships like the fighter, the freelancer, or up. then just keep respawning with a top flight fighter/freighter. Since I have no clue how ship unlocks will happen that might just be me taking that info for the worst...
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Falconer @ Nov 18 2012, 09:47 PM) *
One thing I don't like is they say it's not pay to win... but now I learned they have some kind of ship insurance for backers. IE: if you pledged for that... you'll never lose that ship. And provided you do it before the game releases you can upgrade your permanently insured ship type if you're already in and backed it at the 30+ level.

When I hear that i think of people who spend for one of the bigger ships like the fighter, the freelancer, or up. then just keep respawning with a top flight fighter/freighter. Since I have no clue how ship unlocks will happen that might just be me taking that info for the worst...

But they'll be losing any upgrades they've put in to the ship, you'll just always have a base version of that craft.
Falconer
You're misunderstanding the point... lets say I wanted to build a combatant character. In a game like EVE you need a good solid money making skill to keep yourself in ships... or you need to be that good. Some of my friends never understood why I was always flush with ISK. Because I saw combat not as needing to have the absolute best of the best but as a business proposition... so a lot of tech2 with a splash of meta4 here and there as fitting required and cost dictated. I rarely lost ships... but when i did it wasn't a big deal to replace them. With their lifetime insurance only for backers with their unlocks it's an even bigger deal.

If I'm always guaranteed to respawn in a basic outfitted Hornet lets say... lets look at the web page...
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ships-plan/

Aurora:
Hardpoints-
2 x Class 1: Equipped 1 x Behring Fixed M3A Laser Cannon
1 x Class 3: EMPTY

Hornet...
Hardpoints-
2 x Class 1: Equipped 2 x MaxOx NN-13 Neutron Gun
2 x Class 2: Equipped 2 x Klaus & Werner CF-117 Laser Gatling
2 x Class 3: Equipped 4x Talon Devastator (HS) missiles
2 x Class 4: None Equipped

That's significantly better than the little Aurora with a mere 2 basic laser cannon and an empty missile hardpoint.

Now if I'm doing a lot of PvP or combat missions... that's a significant advantage... especially if i restrict to cheap upgrades/armaments enhancements. Because the downside loss is so small... while the upside win is so high starting in a highly combat craft which is permanently insured.

Effectively... $60 gets you spawning in the 300i, $110 in your pick of the Drake(unsure on ship specs), Hornet(above), or Freelancer. That is very much pay to win heavily dependent on the implementation.

That's why the details of this insurance bit are so important and why it goes so close to pay to win which bothers me.

Without knowing much more... that as a baseline is probably good enough to blast most other things out of the water because it is a pure dedicated fighter even with basic armaments and without special upgrades.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Falconer @ Nov 19 2012, 01:11 AM) *
You're misunderstanding the point... lets say I wanted to build a combatant character. In a game like EVE you need a good solid money making skill to keep yourself in ships... or you need to be that good. Some of my friends never understood why I was always flush with ISK. Because I saw combat not as needing to have the absolute best of the best but as a business proposition... so a lot of tech2 with a splash of meta4 here and there as fitting required and cost dictated. I rarely lost ships... but when i did it wasn't a big deal to replace them. With their lifetime insurance only for backers with their unlocks it's an even bigger deal.

If I'm always guaranteed to respawn in a basic outfitted Hornet lets say... lets look at the web page...
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ships-plan/

Aurora:
Hardpoints-
2 x Class 1: Equipped 1 x Behring Fixed M3A Laser Cannon
1 x Class 3: EMPTY

Hornet...
Hardpoints-
2 x Class 1: Equipped 2 x MaxOx NN-13 Neutron Gun
2 x Class 2: Equipped 2 x Klaus & Werner CF-117 Laser Gatling
2 x Class 3: Equipped 4x Talon Devastator (HS) missiles
2 x Class 4: None Equipped

That's significantly better than the little Aurora with a mere 2 basic laser cannon and an empty missile hardpoint.

Now if I'm doing a lot of PvP or combat missions... that's a significant advantage... especially if i restrict to cheap upgrades/armaments enhancements. Because the downside loss is so small... while the upside win is so high starting in a highly combat craft which is permanently insured.

Effectively... $60 gets you spawning in the 300i, $110 in your pick of the Drake(unsure on ship specs), Hornet(above), or Freelancer. That is very much pay to win heavily dependent on the implementation.

That's why the details of this insurance bit are so important and why it goes so close to pay to win which bothers me.

Without knowing much more... that as a baseline is probably good enough to blast most other things out of the water because it is a pure dedicated fighter even with basic armaments and without special upgrades.

Well, we don't yet know that it will be forever insured with those weapons. But we'll see what happens. (I'd also point out that there is mention of using up 4 upgrade slots on it to fit a ball turret (class 4) with additional laser gatlings and neutrons).

Also, 5.47 million. So close to that carrier being flyable in game. That could make for some epic carrier wars.
ShadowDragon8685
I popped in $60 today (with the promise of a refund in the amount of $30 from a friend who really really wanted me to get Star Citizen, heh.)

What can I say? When you describe something as the "BMW of the skies," I have to have it. smile.gif

This should be interesting. Since evidently they're planning to have the insides of the ships fully walk-through, and from some of their other comments, I can't help but wonder if "board the other guy's carrier, jump out and camp their flight deck with a squad of FPS junkies with machine guns and satchel charges" is going to be a nasty, valid strategy.

Hopefully someone thought to stock some security 'mechs or something, heh.
almost normal
If you've given up enough air superiority so as to allow a group of fighters to politely land? You deserve to lose.

Still, I doubt I'll pick this game up at any time. Mr. Roberts message was pretty clear, if you choose to buy the game at retail, fuck you. You should have bought it before.

This guy has quite the ego. I doubt it will last. It's just not a viable retail strategy. You can't tell people that others bought the game for cheaper and are getting more because they found out about it first. It just won't work.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (almost normal @ Nov 20 2012, 07:30 AM) *
If you've given up enough air superiority so as to allow a group of fighters to politely land? You deserve to lose.

Still, I doubt I'll pick this game up at any time. Mr. Roberts message was pretty clear, if you choose to buy the game at retail, fuck you. You should have bought it before.

This guy has quite the ego. I doubt it will last. It's just not a viable retail strategy. You can't tell people that others bought the game for cheaper and are getting more because they found out about it first. It just won't work.

We haven't had a good space sim in about a decade. Freelancer came out in... 2003? And it wasn't AMAZING, just good. This game will sell because if you want a space sim, you won't have any other choice. That's why it hit 6.3M
almost normal
X3 and its sequels offered more then Freelancer.

Didn't like it as much, but it's a current and well made option.
Falconer
Yes as opposed to mechwarrior online with its founders mechs and packages?!
This is different how?!
Mass Effect 2/3 come to mind with pre-order bonuses as well and many other big commercial titles. Dragon age? Assassins Creed 3 now advertising pre-order bonuses?

I pretty much take the same point of view... freelancer 10 years ago wasn't up to this, but it did lay a good foundation. Since then... nothing of note. The big thing with freelancer back then was it overpromised, then underdelivered. It may or may not have been because of microsoft taking it over, we'll never know. But it has 128 player private server capability and a non-dynamic economy. Both of which would be easier to rectify now.

X series I have as well. They're all single player sandbox games with no multiplayer though.

I may take issue with the lifetime insurance. But that's because the playtester in me immediately goes to look for ways it can be abused. And since nothing has been put in stone... or setup... or coded... even in an alpha state so far. That means I lock onto the the worst abuses I can think of. (EVE style suicide ganking with permanently insured vessels). But in-game insurance also might be so cheap that everyone buys it anyhow and it amounts to a drop in the bucket, a nice perk, but not exceptionally valuable in comparison.
almost normal
MWO is free to play. I haven't seen evidence that Star Citizen will be.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Falconer @ Nov 20 2012, 10:10 AM) *
Yes as opposed to mechwarrior online with its founders mechs and packages?!
This is different how?!
Mass Effect 2/3 come to mind with pre-order bonuses as well and many other big commercial titles. Dragon age? Assassins Creed 3 now advertising pre-order bonuses?

I pretty much take the same point of view... freelancer 10 years ago wasn't up to this, but it did lay a good foundation. Since then... nothing of note. The big thing with freelancer back then was it overpromised, then underdelivered. It may or may not have been because of microsoft taking it over, we'll never know. But it has 128 player private server capability and a non-dynamic economy. Both of which would be easier to rectify now.

X series I have as well. They're all single player sandbox games with no multiplayer though.

I may take issue with the lifetime insurance. But that's because the playtester in me immediately goes to look for ways it can be abused. And since nothing has been put in stone... or setup... or coded... even in an alpha state so far. That means I lock onto the the worst abuses I can think of. (EVE style suicide ganking with permanently insured vessels). But in-game insurance also might be so cheap that everyone buys it anyhow and it amounts to a drop in the bucket, a nice perk, but not exceptionally valuable in comparison.

I did some research and the lifetime insurance is only on the hull of the ship. Weapons and upgrades are not included.
Falconer
Xkal... people in the various things have been saying it's the hull and basic fittings of the ship. So I have no clue what your sources are.

But since that's all so prelim... I assume the worst and hope for pleasant surprises.

Even if it isn't though... it still leaves the spam the hull... and load as many one-shot missiles as you can on the hardpoints strategy.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Falconer @ Nov 20 2012, 11:10 AM) *
Xkal... people in the various things have been saying it's the hull and basic fittings of the ship. So I have no clue what your sources are.

But since that's all so prelim... I assume the worst and hope for pleasant surprises.

Even if it isn't though... it still leaves the spam the hull... and load as many one-shot missiles as you can on the hardpoints strategy.

That's not a strategy. My roommate and I had read that it was hull only, didn't mention basic fittings. In fact, to further that, I don't think anyone who spent the money to pledge is going to trolling with their infini-ship. Wrong crowd for those sorts of shenanigans. I will say this though - player ownable carriers will hopefully lead to some awesome cat and mouse fights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012