Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What firearm wielding warrior do you prefer.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Oct 22 2012, 09:23 AM) *
Have you seen a modern laser battery? Whatever is in a portable version is far more complex then alkaline.

And yet, it is still nothing but a battery. *shrug*
almost normal
And yet, it is still nothing but a Fission engine. *shrug*
FuelDrop
And yet, it's just a zero-point-energy module *shrug*
The Jopp
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 22 2012, 02:32 PM) *
That'd be nice, but it sucks that the spell requires the OR be beat with hits and not just by the Force. All you're doing is recharging after all, not altering its structure.

That's what, a 6+ with a pool of 12+ usually?

Well, all lasers have either [Clip] or [External Source]

I agree that the description of the clips in question is [Special Peak-Discharge Battery Packs] so the OR COULD be higher than 3 but the only special thing might just be the [Peak-Discharge] part.

So you need a regular portable battery with an access port for the guns clip to charge with.

So - OR3
You recharge a battery, not the gun or it's super advanced clip. Problem solved.
Raiden
if your recharging a laser "battery" use the standard battery. IE w.e the OR for a battery is. do not make it over technical, charging a battery is charging a battery, no matter what its being used for
NiL_FisK_Urd
Sure, but magic is not that easy - you need 1 hit with ignite to set a rock on fire, but 2 for gasoline, because gasoline is a "Manufactured Low-Tech Object".
While a normal car battery might be a "Manufactured High-Tech Object", but even a modern laptop/cell phone battery is a "Highly Processed Object".
The Jopp
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Oct 23 2012, 01:45 PM) *
Sure, but magic is not that easy - you need 1 hit with ignite to set a rock on fire, but 2 for gasoline, because gasoline is a "Manufactured Low-Tech Object".
While a normal car battery might be a "Manufactured High-Tech Object", but even a modern laptop/cell phone battery is a "Highly Processed Object".

I would disagree with that analogy.

The problem is that the rules needs to be a bit clearer.

A flammable liquid is not in my eyes a "manufactured object" and should instead go against "Barrier rating" with a bonus to ignite due to it's nature.

The rock would have to be against it's Barrier Rating due to it being, lets face it, a rock. Common sense would have to be used here a bit more.

By that logic WATER would be easier to Ignite than Gasoline and that just smacks of insanity.
NiL_FisK_Urd
Read the Spell, it is on p. 210, SR4A. And yes, water is easier to ignite with that spell - but:

Once the target ignites, it burns normally until it is consumed or extinguished.

It would be extinguished that instant it begins to burn.

PS: MAGIC defiles logic ^^
Stahlseele
Because:
*waves hands*
MAAGIIC! @.@
Raiden
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Oct 23 2012, 07:45 AM) *

its a battery... how is it more processed than other batteries? in that idea if you took a model-T car, it would be easier to manipulate magically then a car today? (bad analogy, but screw it lol) a batter does the same thing, the device its powering may be MUCH more technologically advanced, but a battery is, and always will be, a storage area for electrical/chemical/biological/something else that end in cal.
Raiden
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 23 2012, 08:14 AM) *
By that logic WATER would be easier to Ignite than Gasoline and that just smacks of insanity.

can't help but say this, thus the firewater spell was born!
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 23 2012, 02:34 PM) *
its a battery... how is it more processed than other batteries? in that idea if you took a model-T car, it would be easier to manipulate magically then a car today? (bad analogy, but screw it lol) a batter does the same thing, the device its powering may be MUCH more technologically advanced, but a battery is, and always will be, a storage area for electrical/chemical/biological/something else that end in cal.

Try to build yourself a "Lead–acid battery" - this is fairly easy, and can be done by middle-schoolers. Now try and make the thing that powers your cell phone. And then try and make one with the size of a rifle magazine, that powers a friggin LASER strong enough to kill people with a short blast.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 23 2012, 01:35 PM) *
can't help but say this, thus the firewater spell was born!

*Magic Finger Facepalm*

Seriously, those parts around the magic rules are fucked up when I can more easily burn water than gasoline.

Hey...

My magician will now use a F2 sustaining foci to permanently have a F2 Ignite spell on a piece of raw diamond.

The diamond will burn continously and heat up the water in his steam car but due to it being diamond never burn up.

See - perpetual energy.
Raiden
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Oct 23 2012, 08:44 AM) *
Try to build yourself a "Lead–acid battery" - this is fairly easy, and can be done by middle-schoolers. Now try and make the thing that powers your cell phone. And then try and make one with the size of a rifle magazine, that powers a friggin LASER strong enough to kill people with a short blast.

Common use of the word, "battery" in electrical terms, is limited to an electrochemical device that converts chemical energy into electricity, by a galvanic cell. A galvanic cell is a fairly simple device consisting of two electrodes of different metals or metal compounds (an anode and a cathode) and an electrolyte (usually acid, but some are alkaline) solution. A "Battery" is two or more of those cells in series, although many types of single cells are usually referred to as batteries - such as flashlight batteries.

As noted above, a battery is an electrical storage device. Batteries do not make electricity, they store it, just as a water tank stores water for future use. As chemicals in the battery change, electrical energy is stored or released. In rechargeable batteries this process can be repeated many times. Batteries are not 100% efficient - some energy is lost as heat and chemical reactions when charging and discharging.

this I believe is one of the most common used, useful and simplistic batteries to date.

Its a deep cycle battery, like one that would be used to fire a laser repeatedly until out of charge.
The Jopp
You say Battery I say Battery

One will shock you and the other get someone arrested. grinbig.gif
Raiden
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 23 2012, 09:11 AM) *
You say Battery I say Battery

One will shock you and the other get someone arrested. grinbig.gif

*sees what you did there* lol
StealthSigma
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Oct 23 2012, 09:29 AM) *
PS: MAGIC defiles logic ^^

Defiles or defies? Although I'm not sure the distinction matters. You could say magic defiles logic by defying it.
mowarty
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 22 2012, 08:04 PM) *
And yet, it is still nothing but a battery. *shrug*

I know where your coming from but your thinking that all batteries are a simple as a car batter. some batteries are ever bit as complex and highly processed as a circuit board because well they are circuit boards. Look up Thin-Film Batteries.

http://designs.digikey.com/library/4294959853/4294959856/840
http://www.cymbet.com/design-center/microc...ler-back-up.php
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 23 2012, 04:03 PM) *
Common use of the word, "battery" in electrical terms, is limited to an electrochemical device that converts chemical energy into electricity, by a galvanic cell.

As noted above, a battery is an electrical storage device.

No it's not. It generates electricity by a chemical reaction, rechargeable batteries uses a process that reverts the chemical change when subjected to an electric current.
There's nothing being stored.
As far as I'm aware there's no way to actually store electricity. Which is why modern batteries got such a limited lifespan

I had to doublecheck that since I'm no engineer, still might have gotten it wrong nyahnyah.gif

However on the topics of friggin' lasers!
No matter how you twist or turn it, our definition of battery could never power a 'portable' laser cannon, It's arguing that something that doesn't exist in the realm of science today isn't bloody complex ^^

StealthSigma
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Oct 23 2012, 12:50 PM) *
No it's not. It generates electricity by a chemical reaction, rechargeable batteries uses a process that reverts the chemical change when subjected to an electric current.
As far as I'm aware there's no way to actually store electricity. Which is why modern batteries got such a limited lifespan

I had to doublecheck that since I'm no engineer, still might have gotten it wrong nyahnyah.gif

However on the topics of friggin' lasers!
No matter how you twist or turn it, our definition of battery could never power a 'portable' laser cannon, It's arguing that something that doesn't exist in the realm of science today isn't bloody complex ^^

Batteries store potential energy.

Here's a better example to explain what batteries do.

Let's say you have a solar farm. The energy that isn't used on the grid is used to pump water into a retention pond. At night that water is let out of the pond past water turbines to generate electricity. Now, you're not going to get as much energy as was used to pump the water, but it's a mechanism we use to store excess generated energy for latter usage.

So for batteries, we use energy to create the battery so that a portion of the energy used in creating the battery may be accessed at a later date.
Halinn
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 23 2012, 03:56 PM) *
*Magic Finger Facepalm*

Seriously, those parts around the magic rules are fucked up when I can more easily burn water than gasoline.

Hey...

My magician will now use a F2 sustaining foci to permanently have a F2 Ignite spell on a piece of raw diamond.

The diamond will burn continously and heat up the water in his steam car but due to it being diamond never burn up.

See - perpetual energy.

Diamonds are actually fairly flammable.
Stahlseele
Seeing how they are, basically, just nicer looking coal . .
almost normal
QUOTE (Halinn @ Oct 23 2012, 12:29 PM) *
Diamonds are actually fairly flammable.

I was going to call bullshit until I looked it up. It's actually kind of cool.
Stahlseele
most expensive heating you will ever find . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 23 2012, 12:38 PM) *
most expensive heating you will ever find . .
You know you've hit it big as a Shadowrunner when you heat your squat with diamonds. biggrin.gif
Raiden
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Oct 23 2012, 11:50 AM) *

I use storage device as stating it STORES the capability to create electrical power when the circuit is "closed" and has the ability to "recharge" when the circuit is reversed. the battery itself is NOT complex, merely the items in which the circuit runs through. in a somewhat bad example, your moving forward, then moving back. (but by going back you gain NRG you spent moving forward)
Raiden
QUOTE (almost normal @ Oct 23 2012, 12:32 PM) *
I was going to call bullshit until I looked it up. It's actually kind of cool.

I still call bullshit,it takes INSANE amounts of NRG (or heat) to cause this, and even then it would burn at a painstakingly slow rate.
almost normal
Yes. It isn't going to go up when you slide your hand over a candleflame, but if your house catches fire, your jewelry will be in puddles of gold and your diamonds will be missing.
Raiden
QUOTE (almost normal @ Oct 23 2012, 02:25 PM) *
Yes. It isn't going to go up when you slide your hand over a candleflame, but if your house catches fire, your jewelry will be in puddles of gold and your diamonds will be missing.

actually, from what I read the diamonds would be just fine, from a house fire. (if a little scorched or blackened from ash i should say)
almost normal
I only read one thing, but I declare my one thing to be superior, because.

I'm happy we agree on this.
Raiden
QUOTE (almost normal @ Oct 23 2012, 02:36 PM) *
I only read one thing, but I declare my one thing to be superior, because.

I'm happy we agree on this.

lol I OBJECT SIR, on account of the fact that aliens cannot nor ever will, wear hats.
Andrew
You can store Electricity in a Capacitor but not for long periods as they tend to leak (and the amount is very limited), and you can store Electricity in a Superconductor, however getting a Room temperature superconductor is so far not practical (although a good room temperature Superconductor would be a major breakthrough for a megacorp in Shadowrun) the best seems to be around 138K although there are some so far unverified claims of better
Raiden
back to somewhat of the OP, question about shotguns, are they treated like ARs and the like. OR are they always treated as described with chokes. also, does flechette ammo add the bonuses and penalties overtop of the normal shotgun rules? (ex, medium choke is +0DV, +4AP, with flechette would it be +2DV, +6AP?)
Raiden
and what advanatages does the shotgun have over pistols/ARs/BRs? (if any)
almost normal
Some have houseruled that Stick-n-Shock ammo may only be fired from Shotguns.
Xenefungus
They have the best base Damage value, (until Battle rifles came) which is important for killing spirits and stuff.
Stahlseele
And a BurstFire Shotgun is basically an XL SMG.
Raiden
so.... treat them just like normal SMGs or ARs, with the OPTION of shooting flechette in narrow, medium or wide chokes??>
Halinn
QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 23 2012, 08:58 PM) *
I still call bullshit,it takes INSANE amounts of NRG (or heat) to cause this, and even then it would burn at a painstakingly slow rate.

Diamond ignites at 850 °C-1000 °C in air at standard pressure [wiki]. For comparison, the average temperature of a candle flame is 1000 °C [wiki]. That's not to say that you could just apply a bunsen burner to the Golden Jubilee Diamond and watch it become CO2 instantly, but it does mean that smaller diamonds can go poof in a campfire, and will go poof if your house burns down.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (almost normal @ Oct 22 2012, 06:41 PM) *
And yet, it is still nothing but a Fission engine. *shrug*

Except we are discussing Batteries, not Engines. So, your point is useless to the discussion. smile.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 24 2012, 08:52 AM) *
Except we are discussing Batteries, not Engines. So, your point is useless to the discussion. smile.gif

And there's where you're making your mistake. Why use batteries when you could use a fusion reactor to power your gun? or a fuel cell, or an arc reactor? nyahnyah.gif

More seriously, a laser weapon with integrated capacitor banks and a fuel cell could potentially work, with a 'clip' in the form of a pressurized hydrogen container. It'd only be practical if there were enough fuel-cell cars on the roads that you could refill your canisters from your local gas station, but on the plus side it'd be possible to simply hook it up to any source of hydrogen and keep plugging away... Might be useful out in the sticks where the power grid is nonexistant but you can fill the back of your ute with gas canisters without raising too many eyebrows.

Nah, why bother? A backpack mounted nuclear accelerator is the only power source you'll ever need! smile.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 23 2012, 09:57 PM) *
and what advanatages does the shotgun have over pistols/ARs/BRs? (if any)

As far as the rules go they CAN use the same kind of ammunition as normal guns.

So a shotgun firing Ex-Explosive rounds would be essentially FRAG12 rounds.

http://www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/FRAG%2012.pdf
The Jopp
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 24 2012, 02:18 AM) *
Nah, why bother? A backpack mounted nuclear accelerator is the only power source you'll ever need! smile.gif

Just don't cross the streams... grinbig.gif
FuelDrop
An AVC-7.62 modded for full auto and fitted with a hundred round drum and tripod (plus a shock pad and personalized grip for maximum recoil compensation) is mean. Throw on a suppressor and a smartgun with an enhanced rangefinder and this is a seriously mean piece of hardware for sniping.
Sure, standard sniper rifles pack more punch per bullet, but most sniper rifles can't throw out full auto firepower smile.gif.
If you need to engage multiple targets at once, the Ares HVBR with similar mods can pound the crud out of two victims per pass with long bursts or cut down four lesser foes with a short burst apiece.

Converting either of these bad boys into an assault weapon is as simple as switching the tripod with a Gyro stabilizer, at which point someone somewhere is about to have a very bad day.

Of course, people might notice you trying to hide this under your lined jacket...
Midas
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 20 2012, 12:13 AM) *
My characters tend to take the full Firearms skill group and switch between whatever's appropriate. Lacks the power of specialization, but more than compensates through sheer flexibility.

Yeah, I am a fan of the group skill for the reasons you give.

QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 20 2012, 09:48 PM) *
the SPAS, is a silenced SA combat shotgun. least I think it is lol. (IRL)

I don't think the SPAS gets enough love! A nice option to go with the Raecor Sting (for low-armour social do's), the Predator, the Ingram Smartgun and the sports rifle.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 23 2012, 09:18 PM) *
And there's where you're making your mistake. Why use batteries when you could use a fusion reactor to power your gun? or a fuel cell, or an arc reactor? nyahnyah.gif

Cost. Liability.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 23 2012, 07:18 PM) *

More seriously, a laser weapon with integrated capacitor banks and a fuel cell could potentially work, with a 'clip' in the form of a pressurized hydrogen container. It'd only be practical if there were enough fuel-cell cars on the roads that you could refill your canisters from your local gas station, but on the plus side it'd be possible to simply hook it up to any source of hydrogen and keep plugging away... Might be useful out in the sticks where the power grid is nonexistant but you can fill the back of your ute with gas canisters without raising too many eyebrows.

More seriously. Because the rules say battery. As such, it is OR3. *shrug* smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 24 2012, 02:34 AM) *
An AVC-7.62 modded for full auto and fitted with a hundred round drum and tripod (plus a shock pad and personalized grip for maximum recoil compensation) is mean. Throw on a suppressor and a smartgun with an enhanced rangefinder and this is a seriously mean piece of hardware for sniping.
Sure, standard sniper rifles pack more punch per bullet, but most sniper rifles can't throw out full auto firepower smile.gif.
If you need to engage multiple targets at once, the Ares HVBR with similar mods can pound the crud out of two victims per pass with long bursts or cut down four lesser foes with a short burst apiece.

Converting either of these bad boys into an assault weapon is as simple as switching the tripod with a Gyro stabilizer, at which point someone somewhere is about to have a very bad day.

Of course, people might notice you trying to hide this under your lined jacket...

If you are firing Full Auto, you are NOT sniping. *shrug* smile.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 24 2012, 09:21 PM) *
More seriously. Because the rules say battery. As such, it is OR3. *shrug* smile.gif

i still say such a battery sounds more like highly processed material to me <.<
but i guess that depends on the GM . .
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 24 2012, 02:22 PM) *
If you are firing Full Auto, you are NOT sniping. *shrug* smile.gif

No, but if you have a Dahl, you can snipe in burst mode! nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012