Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master of 1000 faces
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
almost normal
Does it change an Aura?

Can you parlay one change to the next? (I.E. Go from a Troll to a human to a dwarf?)

Can you change sex?

Since Metatype can be changed, could you go from a Human to a Nartaki? Or more broadly, change metavariants as well?
Tanegar
...lolwut? Is this a quality? A spell? An adept power? What book is it from?
SpellBinder
I think this is what the OP is asking about:
QUOTE (Spy Games, page 164)
Master of 1000 Faces
Cost:0.5
Prerequisite: Keratin Control, Facial Sculpt, Melanin Control

The Adept using Master of 1000 Faces power can change their physical appearance to any possible metahuman or ethnic trait with a few exceptions such as becoming cyclopic or growing multiple arms. It also allows the adept to change his height by (Magic + initiate grade) x 10 centimeters (minimum height of 1 meter, maximum 3 meters) or weight by (Magic + initiate grade) x 5 kg (minimum weight 60 kilograms, maximum 300 kg) in 24 hours. This change lasts (Magic + initiate grade) days. This transformation is taxing on the body, possibly requiring additional caloric intake (gamemaster discretion on additional costs for the change, such as lifestyle or clothes). The change can be completed faster, but causes 1 box of physical damage for every 2 hours reduced from the minimum 24 hours. If the adept is trying to resemble someone, it requires the Disguise skill and adds an additional +2 modifier to any Disguise Test in addition to the levels of Facial Sculpt.
Since it lists a few things that explicitly cannot be done (like extra arms), and states this in a way as to imply these are a few examples, I'd say gender is one of those things you cannot easily do.

As nartaki have four arms, and this power does explicitly say you cannot grow arms, that's a metatype you cannot fake unless you've already got four arms.

Auras are magical, and there's other metamagic feats that will let you change your aura. This power won't do anything to your aura.

The power does expressly limit your height and weight changes based on your Magic & Initiate Grade. Going from a troll to a dwarf is going to require a Magic + Initiate Grade of about 13 or higher just to reach the height requirements, and a Magic + Initiate Grade of about 48 to get the weight (figuring a 240kg difference from troll to dwarf, based on averages presented in SR4a, page 72). This isn't likely something a street level runner is ever going to be able to do.
almost normal
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Nov 26 2012, 08:02 PM) *
I'd say gender is one of those things you cannot easily do.

It's wierd. I can go either way on that. If I can turn into a troll, surely I could grow a pair of tits? It's oddly silent though.

The power does expressly limit your height and weight changes based on your Magic & Initiate Grade.

Not questioning that part. It's parlaying it that I'm not sure of. I'm a dwarf. I then grow to human size in 24 hours. 2 days later, I want to go to Orc size. Since I'm actually changing my body itself, not just it's projection or some temporary stretching, I don't see why not. As it never refers to a 'base', I'd say it leans that way, I was hoping someone else had more concrete evidence.

The arms thing was capital though, thanks for that.
SpellBinder
If you're going to step up like that, that'd be something to clear with a GM first. Personally I'd say no to it, but I'm sure others would be okay with it. YMMV

As for the gender part, again it depends on the GM. I have no problem with a guy growing out a pair of breasts as part of imitating a woman as men have breasts already. It's the plumbing south of the equator that can be difficult, and a GM could rule that a woman growing a penis and testicles by this power is like anyone growing an arm.
DMiller
As a GM I would allow gender change with the understanding that the opposite gender "plumbing" would be completely non-functional. I don't want to detail what completely means in this context but suffice it to say that soft/dry would be appropriate descriptive words to use. Using the ability to adjust breast size (male or female) would be acceptable within the weight standards already placed on the power. I would also allow a female character to appear pregnant as long as the weight restrictions were still met. Pregnancy would not hold up to medical examination it would only have the physical appearance of pregnancy.

Just my 2¥
-D

*Edit: Be sure to discuss this with your GM as his/her opinion may be different.
Tanegar
Or, to put it in simpler terms, you can replicate appearance, but not function.
DMiller
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Nov 27 2012, 12:05 PM) *
Or, to put it in simpler terms, you can replicate appearance, but not function.

*nod*

That.

-D
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (almost normal @ Nov 26 2012, 06:28 PM) *
It's wierd. I can go either way on that. If I can turn into a troll, surely I could grow a pair of tits? It's oddly silent though.

Not questioning that part. It's parlaying it that I'm not sure of. I'm a dwarf. I then grow to human size in 24 hours. 2 days later, I want to go to Orc size. Since I'm actually changing my body itself, not just it's projection or some temporary stretching, I don't see why not. As it never refers to a 'base', I'd say it leans that way, I was hoping someone else had more concrete evidence.

The arms thing was capital though, thanks for that.

Well, at our table, we are able to change genders (though only a single character has ever taken the power). As for the forms, you do eventually revert back to your base (The power does have a duration), so there is a base form. It just may be a while before you ever see it again, as you gain duration on a change. To be honest, it has never come up in our games. *shrug*
mister__joshua
This is my favourite power ever.

I would certainly expect it to be able to change gender. I don't see that as any bigger change than metatype. The other things have already been answered I think. I'd rule against incremental size changes as it doesn't work logically for me. The limit is based on the actual amount of flesh that you have to shape, so I'd set the limits from the characters listed stats.
Xenefungus
And concerning those limits for weight and height: just say want to be a light and small Troll, then wink.gif
KarmaInferno
Holy crap, I could make my pixie dwarf-sized.

-k
almost normal
Though given the minimum meter size, you couldn't change into another pixie, or even go back to your own shape before the power ends!

I had forgot about that part while I was working today. I briefly considered the awesomeness of running around fly-sized, or better yet, humang-o sized, picking up trees and swimming over seas.
The Dread Polack
Just adding my vote here. As a GM, I would go with allowing the appearance of a gender change. Altering fat and muscle distribution sounds like part of the power, so breast & hips are in.

As for genitals... not sure about that. I am undecided for now. I would probably take a table vote if it came up. While I tend to stay away from sexuality in my games, the question of whether, for instance, a strip search or the right kind of scanner (probably common in 2072- they can already see you naked at airports now) could spot something like that. If we went along with it, I would say it was non-functional, but convincing. An x-ray would still show a female skeleton. You're internal reproductive organs would remain unchanged. Your hormone production wouldn't change, and of course you can't change an XY into an XX of vice versa.

If not, I would say that in the wacky world of SR, it shouldn't be too hard to explain. Body-modification is so ubiquitous in SR that a simple sex-change is just boring now. Most screeners who have no reason to suspect you of anything won't even ask. If the security team at the facility you're trying to break into is on high-alert, then it'll take a simple Con roll to get them off your case and probably feeling a bit embaressed.

Gotta love getting pedantic about stuff like this, don't ya? It's what RPG forums are for biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012