Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dad got into an RPG!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
CanRay
However, he's an NPC and Adventure Hook for the new Deadlands: Noir! Coming soon to a fine PDF-Store near you!!!
Stahlseele
O.o
_Pax._
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 30 2012, 01:36 PM) *
O.o

^^^ That. Very much.
Critias
I'm assuming it's a kickstarter reward or something.
CanRay
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 30 2012, 04:26 PM) *
I'm assuming it's a kickstarter reward or something.
You're right.

"we'll work with you to put your likeness (or a likeness of your choice) in the game as an NPC!"

I found a pic of Dad in his night watchman's cap that made him look like a character from the 1930s-era, and sent it in with a bit of a biography (unedited) of his life in point form. He's become part of an adventure hook now. biggrin.gif
pbangarth
Notwithstanding the info in the topic title, but rather taking into account the special nature of this forum and the participants thereof... does he know?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 30 2012, 08:57 PM) *
Notwithstanding the info in the topic title, but rather taking into account the special nature of this forum and the participants thereof... does he know?

I think he mentioned him being deceased.
Halinn
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Dec 1 2012, 06:02 AM) *

Given that we are discussing Deadlands, I believe that the question stands.
_Pax._
LOL @ Halinn

On a more serious note: CanRay, I think that's awesome, both of you, and of them. Even if your dad wasn't a gamer himself, it's sort of a memorial to him, in a way. A really neat one! smile.gif
Stahlseele
Given who's father we are talking about, i would not put it past him anyway . .
CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 1 2012, 12:57 AM) *
No.
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Dec 1 2012, 01:02 AM) *
I did. He is. And isn't "getting better" even by Deadlands standards, as he's ashes in an urn.
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Dec 1 2012, 11:10 AM) *
On a more serious note: CanRay, I think that's awesome, both of you, and of them. Even if your dad wasn't a gamer himself, it's sort of a memorial to him, in a way. A really neat one! smile.gif
He wasn't, but he supported my gaming through my life. He very much was like a character out of a Noir book, maybe even a non-PI Protagonist, but more likely one of the cast of badasses that the protagonist runs into, or even needs help from. (The adventure hook he's connected to mentions a refusal to pay Mobster Protection Money, and the fact that he's still alive and has his business after a decade or so speaks for itself.).

To be fair, I had the choice of who to put into the game, but as soon as I talked to the author about the person and why I chose him, well... Yeah. They did a damned good job.
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 1 2012, 12:36 PM) *
Given who's father we are talking about, i would not put it past him anyway . .
My Stepfather, but he helped raise me. I very much am the son of my fathers in a lot of ways, while still being myself.

But, no, he's not coming back from the dead. Crematoriums are good to prevent that sort of thing.
Stahlseele
As long as nobody can prove to me that there is no Valhalla from which the dead can watch the earth like some bad sitcom, i don't have to believe you! nyahnyah.gif ^^
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 1 2012, 03:25 PM) *
As long as nobody can prove to me that there is no Valhalla from which the dead can watch the earth like some bad sitcom, i don't have to believe you! nyahnyah.gif ^^
Odin hasn't been thrown to Midgard looking for a new job in this economy after Dad got there, so that's proof enough for me.
Neraph
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 1 2012, 01:25 PM) *

You can't really prove a non-existence - you have to prove the existence of something. Especially considering that what you're talking about concerns the afterlife, the only way to know for sure is to die or to hear from someone who's come back from the dead. I can make some speculations or suggestions, but I don't think that was your point.
Stahlseele
No it wasn't.
Gamer6432
That's awesome. It reminds me of what Gearbox did for Michael John Mamaril.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 30 2012, 11:36 PM) *
You're right.

"we'll work with you to put your likeness (or a likeness of your choice) in the game as an NPC!"

I found a pic of Dad in his night watchman's cap that made him look like a character from the 1930s-era, and sent it in with a bit of a biography (unedited) of his life in point form. He's become part of an adventure hook now. biggrin.gif

So.... you made your dad potentially killable by players?
CanRay
QUOTE (Gamer6432 @ Jan 25 2013, 04:55 AM) *
That's awesome. It reminds me of what Gearbox did for Michael John Mamaril.
Yeah, only not as awesome. Just met the guy in-game. He gave me a rifle and an achievement. I'm going to use that rifle to kill the antagonist in his honor.
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jan 25 2013, 08:07 AM) *
So.... you made your dad potentially killable by players?
No stats, so he can't be killed.

Technically, this makes him as badass as Stone.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 25 2013, 02:51 PM) *
Yeah, only not as awesome. Just met the guy in-game. He gave me a rifle and an achievement. I'm going to use that rifle to kill the antagonist in his honor.No stats, so he can't be killed.

Technically, this makes him as badass as Stone.

So... because he doesn't have stats, you think he's immune to the Lord British Postulate? biggrin.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jan 25 2013, 03:09 PM) *
So... because he doesn't have stats, you think he's immune to the Lord British Postulate? biggrin.gif
I'd like to think so. But the urn in the next room says otherwise.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jan 25 2013, 11:09 AM) *

I always loved dropping the sign on him to kill him in Ultima... 7?
CanRay
Dad is in the game a second time as an optional character portrait in the Deluxe Character Journal! Class act, these Pinnacle Entertainment Group guys!!!
pbangarth
So, you gonna use it for a character of yours?
CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 25 2013, 09:35 PM) *
So, you gonna use it for a character of yours?
*Snort* I'd have to be able to PLAY for that to happen. frown.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 25 2013, 08:39 PM) *

...oh yeah.... sorry.
Stahlseele
Poor CanRay *pat pat*
Well, there's always SRR and SRO ^^
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 26 2013, 09:27 AM) *
Poor CanRay *pat pat*
Well, there's always SRR and SRO ^^
Yeah, I can get Dad into SRR as an NPC as well when I write some missions for that.

And I'll be playing those games. All alone. In the dark.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 25 2013, 09:39 PM) *

You've played that Noir game at that one convention.
CanRay
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Feb 26 2013, 04:32 PM) *
You've played that Noir game at that one convention.
You mean the only game I got to play at GenCon? The one I paid $300 to get in on?
Halinn
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 26 2013, 11:30 PM) *
You mean the only game I got to play at GenCon? The one I paid $300 to get in on?

I also seem to remember a few posts about you being a player in an SR3 game.
CanRay
QUOTE (Halinn @ Feb 26 2013, 10:31 PM) *
I also seem to remember a few posts about you being a player in an SR3 game.
Fell completely apart. frown.gif
Halinn
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 27 2013, 07:49 AM) *
Fell completely apart. frown.gif

frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 26 2013, 06:30 PM) *

Yep. That one!
CanRay
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Feb 27 2013, 02:36 PM) *
Yep. That one!
Yeah, I don't have another $300, and can't get to GenCon this year.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 27 2013, 02:37 PM) *

Well, you can take a page out of the crazy cat lady handbook and GM and play your own game. Just get some cats, dress them up as the players and pretend.
Stahlseele
Hmm, wonder if i'll be able to spot people from Dumpshock in SRO . .
CanRay
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Feb 27 2013, 03:15 PM) *
Well, you can take a page out of the crazy cat lady handbook and GM and play your own game. Just get some cats, dress them up as the players and pretend.
Cat allergies.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 27 2013, 03:40 PM) *
Cat allergies.

Fine. Fine. Get a couple of pet toy dogs and put them in clothes. Dogs are usually a bit better behaved and have less problem with people embarrassing them that way.

If that fails, get some birds of varying species. No need to dress them up and with their wild array of coloration you can pretend they're a group of pink mohawk runners.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 27 2013, 08:40 PM) *
Cat allergies.

there is no end to how much i pity you right now . .
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 1 2012, 01:56 PM) *
No.I did. He is. And isn't "getting better" even by Deadlands standards, as he's ashes in an urn.He wasn't, but he supported my gaming through my life. He very much was like a character out of a Noir book, maybe even a non-PI Protagonist, but more likely one of the cast of badasses that the protagonist runs into, or even needs help from. (The adventure hook he's connected to mentions a refusal to pay Mobster Protection Money, and the fact that he's still alive and has his business after a decade or so speaks for itself.).

To be fair, I had the choice of who to put into the game, but as soon as I talked to the author about the person and why I chose him, well... Yeah. They did a damned good job.My Stepfather, but he helped raise me. I very much am the son of my fathers in a lot of ways, while still being myself.

But, no, he's not coming back from the dead. Crematoriums are good to prevent that sort of thing.

I am deeply moved by this story. It almost makes me want to cry.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 27 2013, 01:37 PM) *

I'm in the Federated States of Micronesia, and time zones and locations prevent me from participating in any RPGs!
Stahlseele
surprising enough that you get internet over there at all O.o
CanRay
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Feb 27 2013, 04:46 PM) *
I am deeply moved by this story. It almost makes me want to cry.
Thanks Wounded Ronin, that's a response I've gotten from a lot of folks.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 27 2013, 07:11 PM) *
Thanks Wounded Ronin, that's a response I've gotten from a lot of folks.

Hey! I'm offering ideas, man! Ideas that you can do and then record video of and post it on YouTube. Then you become a 'net sensation and people will throw money and sex at you.
ChromeZephyr
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Feb 28 2013, 05:33 AM) *
...and people will throw...sex at you.

I'll get the mop. And the bleach. And the hazmat suits.

Fuck it. I'll just go get the flamethrower.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 27 2013, 06:39 PM) *
surprising enough that you get internet over there at all O.o

Lucky I'm on the right island to have a workable connection!
Wounded Ronin
You ever notice how people from a few generations back were so badass? There are incredible stories of toughness, self-reliance, and being principled in the face of adversity.

Maybe as we fall on long-term hard economic times again and things fall apart hard, we'll recover some of that strength of character as individuals and as a society.
Stahlseele
sure, because there will be more wars to be fought then.
CanRay
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Mar 1 2013, 05:24 PM) *
You ever notice how people from a few generations back were so badass? There are incredible stories of toughness, self-reliance, and being principled in the face of adversity.

Maybe as we fall on long-term hard economic times again and things fall apart hard, we'll recover some of that strength of character as individuals and as a society.
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 1 2013, 06:21 PM) *
sure, because there will be more wars to be fought then.
I won't go into the reasons Dad had to be badass, but he was a Truck Driver and a Biker in the '70s and '80s, which, in Canada, meant you had to be badass.

Scary enough, he was proud of my own variety of toughness for some reason. But I'm hardly even a speck on the Badass Scale.
Stahlseele
/me suspects him to have been an ice road trucker
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012