Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix math
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Alpha Blue @ Dec 8 2012, 10:04 PM) *
What is this so? That's awesome! That solves so much. Can someone give me background on this?

Account privileges p 216 of SR4 don't know about SR4A
NiL_FisK_Urd
This was changed to "peripheral devices" in SR4A. See p. 225, Access Accounts

QUOTE (SR4A @ p.225)
Peripheral nodes are simple constructs and only have public and admin access. The hacking threshold increase for admin access does not apply to peripheral nodes.

Using an Admin account for everyday activities is also a huge security risk, because every piece of malware you "collect" runs with authorized admin privileges.
Sengir
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Dec 9 2012, 10:38 AM) *
This was changed to "peripheral devices" in SR4A. See p. 225, Access Accounts

In Unwired already wink.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 4 2012, 06:26 PM) *
b) there's an idea in my head how R. 2 commlinks would no longer be open books without making that R. 4 camera impossible to hack, and I'm not making a gazillion dice rolls to see if it works wink.gif

Here is said idea BTW, now math-tested though never actually played (due to lack of group):

A Node can be switched into "isolation mode", in which the device ignores all attempts to control it from the outside. Any logon attempts and commands (legitimate or spoofed) not coming from a Persona running on the Node fail automatically, though without causing an alarm. A hacker may still circumvent this protection by either Probing or Hacking on the Fly, but his threshold for success is increased by +3 in addition to any other modifiers (for example, hacking for an Admin account on a isolated device adds 9 to the threshold).

Spoofing becomes impossible when the target is running in isolation mode, because there are no legitimate Access IDs to send from.

Drones can in theory use the same mechanism, in practice this is obviously a rather bad idea unless you are sending the drone on a suicide run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012