Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arisia 2013
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
_Pax._
http://2013.arisia.org/

Any other Dumpshockers going to be in attendance? smile.gif Might be fun to try and meet up, if so.

EDIT: Stupid laptop keyboard, I meant to title this Arisia 2013.
_Pax._
Thanks for fixing the typo, F. smile.gif
ravensmuse
You're New England native? Shame I moved out before I found that out!

Arisia's tabletop circuit has kind of died out; the main room for roleplaying is generally small, and generally consists of a lot of pick-up games. I think some of the Story Gamer crowd from Boston plan on running some stuff though.
_Pax._
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 4 2013, 06:45 AM) *
Arisia's tabletop circuit has kind of died out; the main room for roleplaying is generally small, and generally consists of a lot of pick-up games. I think some of the Story Gamer crowd from Boston plan on running some stuff though.

I do know that this year, Arisia is moving the gaming to a bigger space. They've made a particular point of it. (They're also opening up an Electronic Games room, no idea what that will be about ...)

Goign to Arisia used to be something I could do by commuter rail - I lived in lowell, within easy walking distance of the train statio. Fifteen bucks round trip into Boston, including subway and bus fare.

Now, though, I'm at the northeastern corner of CT, and getting to and from is no longer an easy, "i need no man's help" affair. That affects my ability to attend both Arisia (which was only 'meh' to me, as I'm primarily a gamer) AND PAX East (which I've yet to attend, due to a convergence of money and travel difficulties).
ravensmuse
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 4 2013, 01:13 PM) *
I do know that this year, Arisia is moving the gaming to a bigger space. They've made a particular point of it. (They're also opening up an Electronic Games room, no idea what that will be about ...)

Goign to Arisia used to be something I could do by commuter rail - I lived in lowell, within easy walking distance of the train statio. Fifteen bucks round trip into Boston, including subway and bus fare.

Now, though, I'm at the northeastern corner of CT, and getting to and from is no longer an easy, "i need no man's help" affair. That affects my ability to attend both Arisia (which was only 'meh' to me, as I'm primarily a gamer) AND PAX East (which I've yet to attend, due to a convergence of money and travel difficulties).

Ha, I lived a few towns over from Lowell, even. That's funny!

I don't know if they've made a serious effort to improve their gaming "track", as they like to call them. The last couple years I was there it was just really lackluster, as were their retailer space. Basically it had become one big event for the local LARP crews and sci fi nerds - just incredibly bad for roleplaying of all stripes. If they've made an effort to change that, more the power to them.

PAX East, on the other hand, is fun as all hell but you have to be ready to deal with lots and lots of people. Their gaming community is huge (though there's a heavy slant towards D&D, I'll warn you) but fun and energetic and you'll find lots of people willing to try new things. Try poking around the Penny Arcade forums, specifically their Critical Failures (roleplaying) and PAX subsections. It's a good place to start!

Unfortunately, due to lots of other obligations this year, my return to New England won't be in time for this year's PAX. Oh well smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012