Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geting Chummer to work on OSX (and possibly Linux)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Yatokya
Since I posted that I got Chummer working in Wine under OSX in the Chummer thread I got a PM from another user asking me for advice setting it up. It turned out to be a pretty detailed answer (I was avoiding work wink.gif ) so I thought I'd repost it here. A similar method should work in Linux but I haven't tested it yet but I might get around to that later. Enjoy and feel free to ask me any questions if anything's unclear!

Did you have to do anything special to set this up? I've got a couple mac using players I need to get this sorted out for. Any advice or cautions? Thanks.

Other then that installing Wine for the first time on a mac takes a long time it's pretty easy, the most important part is to use Dotnet4.0 not Mono as is usually recommended with Wine. Keep in mind that I've far from tested it completely but since build 441 everything I've tried has worked perfect, I can also only confirm that it works with wine version 1.4.1 on Mac OS 10.8.2

Follow this guide to install Wine, this takes a long time, this install version 1.4.1 which is what I use:
http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

- Install Winetricks:
$ sudo port install winetricks

- Install Dotnet4.0, this will fail the first time and will ask you to download a file (from mediafire, don't worry it's safe) and place it in your /Users/$USERNAME/Library/Caches/winetricks/dotnet40 folder. Don't unpack the downloaded file, just place it there as is. Then run the install command again:
$ winetricks dotnet40

- You should now be able to start Chummer from terminal:
$ wine /path/to/Chummer.exe

An alternative solution is to create a stand alone wrapper application for Chummer using Wineskin (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/), it's faster, easier to set up and you should be able to copy it to other computers but I think it may be less stable and I've only got it to work under Mountain Lion (does not work under Snow Leopard, have not tried Leopard or Lion).

- Download Wineskin and open Wineskin Winery
- Download and choose the WS9Wine1.4.1 engine(does not work with WS1.5.21, have not tried any others)
- Update your wrapper version (The current version 2.5.8 works for me).
- Create new blank Wrapper, name it whatever you want but it seems like the wrapper won't work if you change the name afterwards
- I'm unsure if you need to install Gecko when it asks you but I have not tried not installing it so I have no idea.
- Open the created wrapper in finder and choose Advanced
- Go to Tools and choose Winetricks under Utilities.
- Choose update Winetricks down to the left.
- Under dlls choose 'dotnet40' and click Run.
-- There may be a bug that will cause it to fail with a message about not having a declared $DISPLAY variable, if that happens close the window (make sure it quit completely and that you didn't just close at the applications windows, force quit if you have to). Open you wrapper again, if nothing happens right-click (ctrl-click) on the wrapper and choose 'Show package contents' and open 'Wineskin' from the window that opens.
- Once you got winetricks to install dotnet40 properly it will still fail in the same way when installing wine normally and ask you to download a file, place it in your /Users/$USERNAME/Library/Caches/winetricks/dotnet40 folder (don't extract the archive, just place it there as is).
- Run the dotnet40 install again
- Once you got dotnet installed close the winetricks window and click the Install Software in the Wineskin Advanced windows.
- If you haven't already download and extract Chummer (http://www.chummergen.com/downloadchummer.aspx)
- Choose 'Copy a Folder Inside' (or 'Move a folder Inside', it doesn't matter) and choose your Chummer folder.
- Select the Chummer.exe as you executable (there shouldn't be any other choices).
- Close the Wineskin Windows.
- Now when you open the Wineskin wrapper file again Chummer should open!
- if you need to make any changes to the wrapper open the Wineskin app that's inside the wrapper (Show package contents like I described above).

Theoretically you should be able to copy the wrapper to another computer and open it there. Like I said this only seems to work in Mountain Lion (and possibly Lion), I tried opening the wrapper on Snow Leopard but it just crashes at startup, same thing happens if I try and create the wrapper on a computer running Snow Leopard. I've noticed that the wrapper sometimes won't open properly (ie nothing happens) but I might have just not closed it completely previously.

UPDATE: It seems I was a bit off, the Wineskin method only worked on my computer, not because I was running Mountain Lion but because I had libpng14.14 installed on my system. To fix this you need to add libpng14.14 to your wrapper! Unless you have libpng14.14 installed on your system it will crash on your system regardless of OS version.

- Download libpng14.14 here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_...773311660434677
- Extract the zip file.
- Click on your Chummer wrapper and choose 'Show package contents' and navigate to Contents/Frameworks/ and drop the libpng14.14.dylib file in the Frameworks folder
- The wrapper should now function on any Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion system biggrin.gif
Yatokya
Just tried it out on Xubuntu and getting Chummer to work on Linux was a breeze, actually easier then on OSX.

- Install the stable release of Wine, make sure it's version 1.4.1, the command on Ubuntu is:
$ sudo apt-get install wine1.4
(on Arch you need to install wine-stable from AUR to get version 1.4.1)

- Install winetricks if not installed with Wine (appears to be already included with the ubuntu package).

- Only for 64-bit systems:
[ Spoiler ]

- Now you can install dotnet:
$ winetricks dotnet40

- on the first try the install will fail and you will be asked to manually download a file (from mediafire, don't worry it's safe) and place it in ~/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40/ , do that and run the winetricks dotnet40 command again.

- if you haven't already, download Chummer.

- Now you should be able to open Chummer in Wine:
$ wine /path/to/Chummer.exe

You're welcome deckhead!
Nebular
Finally got around to setting up a Linux VM last night and got this working! One small snag I ran into though (since I'm running a 64-bit VM) was that the .wine directory didn't exist yet; it looks like you need to run winetricks once in order to get the .wine directory created, do the 64-bit OS-specific piece, and continue on from there. Neat to see it working in a different OS! biggrin.gif
Yatokya
Actually you can just go ahead and run "WINEARCH=win32 winecfg" directly if you don't have a .wine directory. Moving the .wine directory prior to creating a new wine environment is just to back up any existing .wine configuration while ensuring a .wine directory doesn't exist when running the WINEARCH command.
Grimrod
HI I was wondering if someone could help me get chummer to work in linux.
I have installed wine and dotnet40, the application loads but when I open a .chum files the application crashes, wine is not very forth coming as to why.s

Let me know if you have any ideas what I can do

Thanks
Grimrod
JoelHalpern
I have tried installing this using Wineskin on a Mac running OSX 10.9.5.
I tried getting dotnet40 to install. It gave me an error indicating that it needed ngen. But I could not find any zip file to download providing ngen.
I tried it without installing dotnet40. It seemed to work. But when I look at characters, or generate new characters, the skills page is wrong. It has the correct left hand side for groups, but the rest of the pane is empty.

Any suggestions on how I install this properly (I am happy to redo the Wineskin wrapper creation steps from scratch.

Thank you,
Joel M. Halpern
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012