Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low Intensity Operations
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Dak
Low-Intensity Operations is a military term for the deployment and use of troops or assets in situations other than war. Generally these operations are against non-state actors and are given terms like counter-insurgency, anti-subversion, and peacekeeping

I'm interested in trying my hand at running an SR4(20th aniv) game based on the idea of Private Military Contractors and (somewhat) low intensity conflict.

I am looking for 5 players.

These players will collaborate to build characters each of which will have a primary and secondary specialty (for instance, primary- rifleman, secondary- medic). I will be looking for one of the five players to be the team leader. I would like to try to get one magic-heavy character, three infantry types, and one hybrid. I may tweak this some. Characters will all be reasonably balanced, and will use 400 point builds.

Play will be mostly mission oriented, and likely will not have the 'typical' level of shadowrun intrigue and paranoia. Instead it will be rather military focused, with a bit of the flavor of special forces/private contractors.

I'm looking for players who can post with reasonable frequency, are mature, and who have a basic/armchair understanding of PMC warfare.

If interested, please post here or PM me. If I can get enough good candidates together, I'll work on getting the game going.

important note: its fine to post a character idea that you'd like to play. But we will be doing characters from scratch, after discussing who will take which role. If you are only willing to play a certain character or character type, this might not be the game for you.
Slacker
I'm in. Thinking about playing a mystic adept. Mostly focusing on the adept side of things but also having some skill with counterspelling to backup any mage we have.
All4BigGuns
Is it possible to open up 750 karma build under that generation? I do have a Rigger/Medic that might be able to fit, but I've tried swapping it to the other generation method and it just doesn't work. (Normally prefer build point, but I do have a couple characters I tested out on the other and they did come out more fitting).
Dak
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Feb 4 2013, 07:55 PM) *
Is it possible to open up 750 karma build under that generation? I do have a Rigger/Medic that might be able to fit, but I've tried swapping it to the other generation method and it just doesn't work. (Normally prefer build point, but I do have a couple characters I tested out on the other and they did come out more fitting).

I'm open to considering this, but I want to keep things simple. It is my intent that hacking will be downplayed in my game, and I may go the same route for rigging. PM me and convince me that the karma system is superior.
phlapjack77
I'm interested. Still have an opening?

As a character idea, how about an infantry type with a primary focus of rifleman, and a secondary focus on comms and battlefield visibility - EW, tacnet, this kind of thing.

I second using karma gen.
Dak
That's two for Karma, so I'm going to keep that in mind and will likely have people do characters with the karma system.

I like that everyone is coming with some character ideas. Please don't get 100% married to a certain character archetype. We'll be building characters from scratch, and who will cover what roles. I'll provide more information on what roles need covering and which are less important.

Glad to see some enthusiasm for this type of game.
phlapjack77
10-4 smile.gif
Dakka Fiend
I'd be interested too. How does a heavy weapons/demolitions/mechanic-guy sound?
Dak
QUOTE (Dakka Fiend @ Feb 4 2013, 09:21 PM) *
I'd be interested too. How does a heavy weapons/demolitions/mechanic-guy sound?

Sounds like a cool idea! Glad you're interested!
Thanee
This sounds like fun! smile.gif

Color me interested as well.

I already have a character from an earlier military-focused game, Alexa "Lynx" Kerrigan (awakened Scout/Sniper), that might be fitting looking at the above concepts (could "rebuild" her either as a Mage or an Adept, depending on how you would prefer the magic-level to be).

Bye
Thanee
Mach_Ten
I'd be interested in this too,

ex British military here so a fair idea of how things "should" work and also how things generally don't EVER work as you first thought biggrin.gif

one caveat I have only played SR3 .. but I pick stuff up damn quick, if it holds me back .. kick me out for another grunt.

Spot me in for Engineering / Demolitions with an interst in covert ops rather than full frontal assault.

When a situation calls for fully automatic, who said that was bullets when I carry grenades !

"There is NO overkill !"
Aria
I'd be interested! I've got a variety of characters up my sleeve but tend to favour adept infiltrators.

Just a side note, given the nature of pbp games and people dropping in and out you might want to consider ways of the individual players pursuing mission objectives that don't rely on other people posting. I know that's a bit of a stretch sometimes, particularly with 400BP or equivalent characters but the only other merc game I've played pbp collapsed because we had to wait for people.

Would we have access to all books within reason for character gen? Any restrictions on metatype etc?

EDIT: I think karmagen is a good idea for more generalist builds, so a couple of points in leadership or parachuting don't feel like you are squeezing those points too much!

With my comments above in mind I quite fancy the 'one man army' future trooper idea, milspec armour, smart integrated weapons, a couple of drones to run a mini tac net...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012