Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Netrunner
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
silva
So, who else is playing this ?

I never had the opportunity to play the old 90s version, so I got really excited when I heard Fantasy Flight was bringing it back in its Living Card Game model. My copy arrived some days ago and I had 2 games with a friend.

Im finding it really good. I think its the first cardgame I see where the player abilities matter more than the deck composition. Not that deck composition isnt an important factor here - it is - its just that most cardgames Ive seen until now rely too much on this (and luck). Netrunner feels almost like chess in this respect. If you lose a game, its because YOU lost it, not your deck. At least this is my initial impression.

The only down point for me is the art. Its not bad at all, but I prefer the old edition 80s/90s style much more. This new one is too "clean" for my cyberpunk tastes. ( Old version art: click; New version art: click, click, click )

EDIT: nice presentation video here: click

Thanee
There's a reason why it is the #1 on BGGs Customizable Rank.

Great game! smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Seriously Mike
Hmmm, maybe I'll buy it. Hard to decide between an armored vest for photoshoots and this, but since I'm getting a bonus this or next month and there should be some money left after computer upgrade, I'll most probably get it.
Falconer
Yeah I busted out my ancient original netrunner cards and rulebook to show them to some friends before the release.

Now I have to admit to picking up the base and waiting for each expansion as it's coming each month. Now if I could just see more of the LCG night guys not playing Game of Thrones or LotR....

Hard to learn constructed when you're constantly teaching people with starter decks....

Though I disagree on your skill alone bits... I've seen a few games where bad draws and poor luck left little to nothing to be done while flailing to stop things from crashing down around you.
Thanee
He did not say "skill alone", he said "skill is more important than deck construction".

Bye
Thanee
Falconer
I could construct some pretty hellish decks which you would not win with and hand them to you and test that statement.
CanRay
'Nother game I can't afford. frown.gif
silva
Falconer, maybe I have not express myself well.

Take this as my point: of all cardgames Ive played, Netrunner is the one that most emphasizes player skill over deck composition. In my limited experience with it (11 games till now) the player with the better understanding of the games´economy and internal logic has won more, regardless of deck composition. While in past cardgames Ive played (Shadowrun, MtG), the player who wins more is generally the one who builds the better deck.

But the fact that this is based only on the core cards and in so little games played, means this all can change, of course.
Falconer
I'm guessing that's based on the core cards and starter decks...

Once you start slipping into deck construction this changes quite a bit... do you go anarch and splash shaper for faster and better economy? More memory? Stick with grimoire and virus... or do you go with the new identity and build up more emphasis out out of faction breakers and trashing cards.....

With core set only... the game tended to revolve pretty heavily around tag'n'bag I'm informed... get a tag on the runner and kill him with meat damage/scorched earth.... the boosters have had some counters to this now.

Canray:
This is the only card game I actively buy. I got out of collectible card games way back in the 90's I learned off of magic and refused to get into the collectible racket ever again. But I did have and buy netrunner cards as well back then. The rerelease in the FFG's living format is perfect for me... buy the booster get 3 of each of the new cards. (deck limit is 3)... the only thing i don't like is I'm debating picking up a 2nd core box set. Because they didn't print their core sets with 3 of each cards (FFG does this with a lot of their games... the Xwing vs. Tie game... and their other LCG's as well... so the serious players end up buying 2 starters to get a nearly full set of cards). You'd need 3 sets to get 3 of each the singleton cards.
Thanee
QUOTE (Falconer @ Feb 23 2013, 12:36 AM) *
I could construct some pretty hellish decks which you would not win with and hand them to you and test that statement.

That wouldn't test that statement at all. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012