Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creative magic - New Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thorguild
I was thinking of all the non-shadowrunning Awakened magicians out there and the kind of uses they might put magic to. A quick Excel doodle came up with this:
Base population 1,000,000,000 <----- For every 1 billion possible spellcasters in the world...
Awakened Magicians 0.10% <----- a certain percentage are awakened.
Arcana Inclined 1.00% <----- Of those, a certain percentage have the time, expertise, and luck to get educated in spell design.
Making new spells 1.00% <----- And of those a certain percentage might devote themselves to making non-SR based spells.
100 <----- This is the number per 1 billion population on the planet who do this. I think this a conservative number.

So here's a forum to get creative! What would make someone's life better? Of course a mage on the make could use a lot of existing spells to get a date, like Increase Charisma and Fashion. A geriatric mage would probably have a lot of use for Increase Body. I'm going to make a separate post for those. This post is for totally new magic effects.

What do you think a magical someone might do with their talent? Everyday uses and world-changing effects both desired!

Get creative, people!

Thorguild

PS A bonus point for actually making the spell with the rules.
Stahlseele
catalogue spell, adapt it to sift through your own memory at will to find stuff you know you once knew but can't remember for some reason.
good for people with alzheimers for example.

imbue knowledge.
there is an alter memory spell already, so adapt it to take knowledge from one person to another.
if it's knowledge of how to do something and you keep it sustained for long enough for it to go from short time to long time memory you effectively tought somebody how to do something using a spell.
Thorguild
Anyone want to take a crack at it?
Stahlseele
/me am no good with magic RULES . . especially not with the SR4 side.
Mystweaver
Poltergeist: Instead of having it throw things about, change it to a much gentle and controllable effect (maybe perhaps a rewrite of fling or levitate). With quickening or enchanting this could make a lot of useful items. Effects like a spoon that stirs on its own - brushes that auto clean items (such as the oven/ kitchen sink etc.)

Lightning bolt - Rewrite to "Charge Battery" Could alter it to create sustainable energy while sustained this could recharge batteries - again with quickening or enchanting this could create infinite energy in a range of devices. Greater force = greater discharge.

Flamethrower - Alter it to make some funky ovens, maybe even use it to heat a furnace that in turn generates electricity?

Toxic wave - Rewrite to enable to create a pool of acid (sustained) that would be an effective way to handle garbage disposal (especially considering it evaporates when stopped = environmentally friendly!).

Ice sheet - Rewrite to a small area of effect to flash freeze items with a duration of permanent (i.e items dont instantly defrost when the spell is no longer sustained). Having an item that can flash freeze would be a good solution for any use of dry ice. Also would be good to have spell create a cooling effect for a wide range of uses (such as processor cooling, air conditioning etc).
Blade
I've added many daily-life spells in Style Over Substance (link in sig.).
All spells have been created with the spell creation guidelines from SM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012