Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SHODAN lives!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/08/technology/security/shodan/

Read the article...it's kind of hard to describe concisely besides for "scary search engine demonstrates remote access to lots of things that is not properly secured."

I like how it made the news. I take it to mean that finally the main stream media has been forced to reference System Shock. Somehow I have this feeling of exhilarating triumph.
CanRay
Great... The first of the great AIs is this...
Bigity
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 9 2013, 08:54 PM) *
http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/08/technology/security/shodan/

Read the article...it's kind of hard to describe concisely besides for "scary search engine demonstrates remote access to lots of things that is not properly secured."

I like how it made the news. I take it to mean that finally the main stream media has been forced to reference System Shock. Somehow I have this feeling of exhilarating triumph.

Triumph! I wet my pants.

Shodan was that scary
CanRay
Scary only for people that haven't taken courses in computer security.

There's a reason I want to raid Kevin Mitnick's supply of business cards.
Rastus
You know, this reminds me... Remember when SR4 first came out and everyone looked at how literally everything was online and more or less vunerable to hacking? From lights, to snow cone machines, to guns and cyberware; all would have an online presense and could be hacked. Then after seeing this how everyone decided this was pretty damn silly and said it shouldn't be like that at all?

Truth is stranger than fiction, no? Wonder if anybody had the bright idea to connect their pacemaker to the internet.
_Pax._
Good point, Rastus.
CanRay
QUOTE (Rastus @ Apr 10 2013, 12:01 AM) *
Truth is stranger than fiction, no? Wonder if anybody had the bright idea to connect their pacemaker to the internet.
You know you're a gun nut when you read that as, "Peacemaker". nyahnyah.gif
Tanegar
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 10 2013, 01:16 AM) *
You know you're a gun nut when you read that as, "Peacemaker". nyahnyah.gif

OMG, that gives me an awesome idea.

"Sure, I'll put my gun on the side table. Wouldn't want you to feel threatened."
*puts gun on table, aimed at other party*
*negotiations go south*
*pull out commlink, fire gun via teh Intarwebz*
"Looks like you were a victim of..."
*puts on sunglasses*
"...a cyberattack."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Mach_Ten
And Now, another reason to Never fly again .. !

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 10 2013, 06:21 PM) *
"Sure, I'll put my gun on the side table. Wouldn't want you to feel threatened."
*negotiations go south*

Can this not already be done with electronic firing mechanism ? and even a weapon personality, you say the "super secret word" and the gun fires !
_Pax._
Great.

Now the TSA isn't going to let you bring phones, tables, laptops, or the like onto the plane in the first place. frown.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 11 2013, 01:21 AM) *
OMG, that gives me an awesome idea.

*negotiations go south*
"Looks like you were a victim of..."
*puts on sunglasses*
"...a cyberattack."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Horatio Caine much?
_Pax._
Better get the Gecko Grip mod for the gun, though - or the recoil will kick it right off the table.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Apr 11 2013, 07:38 AM) *
Great.

Now the TSA isn't going to let you bring phones, tables, laptops, or the like onto the plane in the first place. frown.gif

I was kind of hoping they'd allow Dungeons and Dragons weaponry like they said they were going to.

I want to board a plane with a trusty gladius.
Iduno
QUOTE (Rastus @ Apr 10 2013, 12:01 AM) *

Not to the internet, exactly. But yes.

Pacemaker: http://boingboing.net/2012/10/18/researche...easibility.html
Diabetic pump: http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/04/researc...thal-doses-giv/

Both situations are unlikely to happen, and would probably require special equipment and software. That's a bit of work for something that won't directly make people money. RFID credit cards and gas cards though? Probably appealing targets.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ElZBI9PufY

Now I'm starting to think of a decker character who knows enough about security to avoid all of the new consumer technology.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012