Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dishonored
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Tanegar
I'm on the third mission (counting the prisonbreak as the first). So far, so good. Fun gameplay, good atmosphere. Yahtzee's right about the pacing, though: having to go back to the rebel hideout between missions kills it. Dishonored would have benefited enormously by ripping off the Arkham City model wholesale.
nezumi
I've also enjoyed it. The low-chaos (or no-kill) playthrough feels TOTALLY different from the kill everything playthrough, which gives it some nice replayability. Frankly, I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Bioshock.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 22 2013, 04:06 PM) *
I've also enjoyed it. The low-chaos (or no-kill) playthrough feels TOTALLY different from the kill everything playthrough, which gives it some nice replayability. Frankly, I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Bioshock.

I just read the requirements for the no-kill playthrough. There's some annoying stuff in it. If an NPC you knock out dies, it ruins it. So rat swam, accidently hit them with a weapon, drop them in water. There goes your no kill. The one thing I did notice is that a lot of the rune and bone charm bonuses are pretty much useless in the no-kill scenario.

At least wolfhounds and rats can be killed.
_Pax._
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Apr 22 2013, 03:40 PM) *
I just read the requirements for the no-kill playthrough. There's some annoying stuff in it. If an NPC you knock out dies, it ruins it. So rat swam, accidently hit them with a weapon, drop them in water. There goes your no kill.

It's worse than that. Sleep-dart a guy at the top of a flight of stairs, and he falls badly? Dead.

The one thing I did notice is that a lot of the rune and bone charm bonuses are pretty much useless in the no-kill scenario.

Hmmm, many, but I would disagree with "a lot".

At least wolfhounds and rats can be killed.

And river krusts.

But not Weepers.
Seriously Mike
The chaos meter is broken. I totally plowed through the first two missions, then played another three carefully (although throwing unconscious Lady Boyle to the rats failed to elicit any reaction from them), then I totally plowed through the Flooded District, then I noticed that depending on how I played the penultimate mission the last one was either low chaos or high chaos.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Apr 22 2013, 04:55 PM) *
It's worse than that. Sleep-dart a guy at the top of a flight of stairs, and he falls badly? Dead.

Essentially, since all NPCs start out conscious, any NPC that is unconscious that is killed dings against your no-kill.

I've had to go back in save time because of stupid deaths that I didn't realize were going to happen. I had a dude stashed in an alley. No rats or anything. I later come back and find a dismembered corpse. Great! Not to mention, I've seen some unconscious bodies disappear after I've stashed them. How can I reasonably be expected to pilfer the shit out of a level if guys are disappearing and rat swarms are popping out of no where to eat unconscious bodies?
nezumi
Rat swarms are based on chaos, or location-specific. Playing through on no-kill, I didn't lose anyone to rat swarms, and never had to worry about it. It was only when I was playing high-chaos that random-spawning rat swarms became an issue. In fact, I never even saw a rat swarm attack a person except the scripted event towards the beginning.

The bodies do disappear after a bit (whether conscious or not). That scared the bejeebus out of me until I realized they don't count against you.

Dropping people such that they die is an issue, and yes, so is shooting people while they're leaning over ledges.

The charms isn't really an issue either. There's like twenty charms, and you can only use six. I was never wanting for charms. I was more upset about how useless powers and weapons are (which is why I played through again).

One issue I hit was changing your weapon quickslots. They don't give you any instructions on this, but I ended up with only deadly weapons available and no sleep darts. Hold down the middle mouse button and you get a wheel with all the weapons, where you can assign slot numbers to them.

One final issue for no-kill ...
[ Spoiler ]

_Pax._
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 23 2013, 11:09 AM) *
Rat swarms are based on chaos, or location-specific. Playing through on no-kill, I didn't lose anyone to rat swarms, and never had to worry about it. It was only when I was playing high-chaos that random-spawning rat swarms became an issue. In fact, I never even saw a rat swarm attack a person except the scripted event towards the beginning.

There are some other scripted rat swarms that you may simply not have encountered. For one example: while infiltrating the Boyles' estate, theres an (abandoned) building where a rat swarm spawns as you go up the stairs. If you manage to avoid them, they go all the way to the first floor - and if you've left unconscious bodies there, out of sight but on the floor? Dead, dead, dead.

Also, you might (on your first time through the game) accidentally release the rat swarm in the pantry of that Doctor's house, the one Slackjaw sends you into. That .... ends messily. biggrin.gif

The bodies do disappear after a bit (whether conscious or not). That scared the bejeebus out of me until I realized they don't count against you.

Yeah, once the computer figures they're in no possible danger, it'll despawn them to free up memory/processing/etc.
nezumi
I think the other part of my problem may be how slowly I move, scouting out how to knock each person out and so on. That results in enough time for the bodies to disappear. My kids hate watching me play in low-chaos because it's so boring for them nyahnyah.gif
_Pax._
HA.

Then, when it comes time for you to play the DLC, The Knife of Dunwall ...? They'll be in tears. Because those maps, are brutally challenging, whether you go High chaos or Low. ESPECIALLY if you try and ghost the level, while being thorough about Runes and Charms. Damn, it was hard upping my game to match the new challenge.

Daud's abilities are pretty frelling awesome, though. Full timestop while holding a Blink .... oh GODS yes ...
Critias
I got several missions in (the core game, no DLC yet), then just kind of petered out. Mrs. Crit liked watching because the game was so cool and creepy and cinematic, and then when she wasn't around I didn't play, and...yeah. Just haven't dusted it off in a while. I need to get back to it, I was having a pretty good time.
_Pax._
I think my favorite part of Dishonored is .... it's very alinear. There's always at least THREE ways into, out of, or through any given area. Usually more. And the developers, when confronted with playtesters doing unusual things that bypassed the known routes ... didn't say "crap we gotta prevent that". Instead, they said "awesome - where else can we make that trick useful?"
Tanegar
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Apr 23 2013, 06:47 AM) *
The chaos meter is broken. I totally plowed through the first two missions, then played another three carefully (although throwing unconscious Lady Boyle to the rats failed to elicit any reaction from them), then I totally plowed through the Flooded District, then I noticed that depending on how I played the penultimate mission the last one was either low chaos or high chaos.

I don't think the chaos mechanic is broken so much as badly designed. Or maybe just poorly thought-through, to the extent that that differs from "poorly designed."

To begin with, its factors are too simplistic. Killing anyone increases the amount of chaos, which makes no sense. Killing City Watchmen and Overseers should increase it, but killing criminals, assassins, and Weepers should reduce the amount of chaos. Killing rat swarms should reduce the amount of chaos a little bit, as you reduce the plague vector.

I also think the effects of the chaos level should be expanded somewhat. There should be more than just two endings, there should be at least four or five along a sliding scale of desirableness. High chaos should make the game easier (logically, fewer guards and lax security would simplify an assassin's work), but lead toward a progressively darker ending. Now the player has a real choice: do you want the easy path here and now, at the cost of damning Dunwall, or will you take the harder road to a bright future? As it stands, the "choice" isn't really a choice. High chaos makes the game harder and gives you the bad ending; why take that path, except on a throwaway playthrough just to see how it goes?
nezumi
Chaos is more of a game-balancing mechanic. Playing high-chaos is easier, so the game reacts by adding more guards and giving you a lesser ending. It's a lot like essence; it makes no sense, but helps keep the game balanced.

Does Knife of Dunwall also have a high/low chaos?
_Pax._
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 26 2013, 06:57 AM) *
Does Knife of Dunwall also have a high/low chaos?

Yes. Though, it's only three missions, so I don't know how much effect it has in a cumulative sense.
Tanegar
So I picked up all the DLC in Steam's summer sale. I'm not sure if I lost my mojo, or if The Knife of Dunwall is just that brutal. In spite of only (deliberately) killing one person in the first mission (Rothwild himself), my mission stats came up with six guards and two civilians killed. I think I know where the guards died, but I cannot, for the very life of me, place the two civilians. The only people outside the plant are Watch officers and butchers, and the only people inside are butchers, Bundry Rothwild and Amelia Ames.
Remnar
I picked up this one in the Steam summer sale, sadly I cannot download it until next month (stupid download limits, in this day and age). Guess SRR will just have to keep me occupied in the mean time (not to worried about that).
CanRay
I rented the game awhile back.

I write for a dystopic future where megacorporations rule the world and "Human Resources" are sometimes labeled as "Foodstuffs"... And not always by Dragons, either!

After this game, I felt like I wrote children's stories!
Remnar
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 26 2013, 11:14 AM) *

I write for a dystopic future where megacorporations rule the world and "Human Resources" are sometimes labeled as "Foodstuffs"... And not always by Dragons, either!

Sounds like I'm going to like the atmosphere then, I like gritty and grimdark (in my games, less so for other media).
CanRay
The game I rented after this? SpecOps: The Line.

Not a good mental place for me to be. nyahnyah.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 26 2013, 05:03 PM) *
The game I rented after this? SpecOps: The Line.

Not a good mental place for me to be. nyahnyah.gif

But it was such an amazing game!
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 26 2013, 08:14 PM) *

Awwwww lookit the cute ickle dwagon is nomming his trolly-bear smile.gif

anyhoo, just about 60% through Dishonored and after a ropey start (not enough fingers for all the controls, I'm an arrow key person not a WASD)
I came back to it after a break and must say, I Love this game! ..

the atmospheric "ministry of truth" style propaganda and PA announcements along with footsteps in a neighbouring corridor that go with the assertion that if I'm spotted I'll be overrun by guards, and the 'Music Box' men ... scary as all hell !
CanRay
Not to mention the creepy heart you carry around with you like a security blanket!
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 31 2013, 04:12 PM) *
Not to mention the creepy heart you carry around with you like a security blanket!

I can't wait for whatever twist is in store for me with the heart. It knows too much...
CanRay
I guessed what the heart was right off. Well, after about four or five statements. It's a little TOO obvious.
Tanegar
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 31 2013, 10:55 PM) *
I can't wait for whatever twist is in store for me with the heart. It knows too much...

There really isn't one; the heart is never referenced in the plot at all. CanRay's right, though, it only takes a tiny bit savvy to figure out what it is.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 31 2013, 11:22 PM) *
There really isn't one; the heart is never referenced in the plot at all. CanRay's right, though, it only takes a tiny bit savvy to figure out what it is.

I'm of two minds on it.
Critias
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 1 2013, 04:06 AM) *
I'm of two minds on it.

How so?

You're not sure what/who the heart is, or you're not sure you approve of it?
Mach_Ten
so, Emily just told me that when she is Empress she will make the world fear her, as I do ! ..

I've been a VERY bad man haven't I ! frown.gif
nezumi
You are indeed an awful person. How many piles of bodies have you left in your wake?? (When my wife played, she ended up going high-chaos, so I went low. I told her all sorts of lies about how nice all of the bad guys were being and how differently the game played. Then I got to the last mission and I didn't have to lie any more.)

Carrie Fisher is listed as a voice actor for the game, but I couldn't ever hear her voice. Anyone have any clues on that?
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 1 2013, 03:31 PM) *
You are indeed an awful person. How many piles of bodies have you left in your wake??

None!! But I dare not touch the floor because of my rabid, plague ridden little vermin chums.

it's become more of a challenge to traverse the city without getting feet on the ground and chewed on by a million rat packs smile.gif

Do I get a lower chaos score for feeling slightly bad about throwing snoring maids and butlers to the rats ?

... I do ! .. I feel really bad about it !

**EDIT**

is there an achievement for killing EVERYONE ! ?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 1 2013, 02:40 AM) *
How so?

You're not sure what/who the heart is, or you're not sure you approve of it?

I'm pretty sure the heart is Jessamine Kaldwin, but given that the Outsider can apparently control time and space to an extent (what with the blink and bend time powers for Corvo and Daud) who knows? Although it seems that Piero is the one who made the heart while dreaming in the Outsider's space.

I just got done with capturing Sokolov last night and I'm trying to determine now if Corvo is actually Emily's father or not.
nezumi
By the by, when you hit the "Return to the Tower" mission, make sure you use that vision power. There's a secret in there which is quite easy to find with the vision, and it really was sweet.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 1 2013, 10:31 AM) *
By the by, when you hit the "Return to the Tower" mission, make sure you use that vision power. There's a secret in there which is quite easy to find with the vision, and it really was sweet.

Sadly, I think I missed what you're talking about. But I've been doing a ghost / no kill playthru (on my first time, because I'm crazy).
Tanegar
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 1 2013, 10:31 AM) *
Carrie Fisher is listed as a voice actor for the game, but I couldn't ever hear her voice. Anyone have any clues on that?

If you kill the propaganda announcer, he's replaced by a woman.
nezumi
For reals? That throw-away? In both of my runs, I don't think I've ever killed him.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 2 2013, 04:03 AM) *
For reals? That throw-away? In both of my runs, I don't think I've ever killed him.

Maybe he had played Spec Ops: The Line recently and just really wanted to kill a radio announcer.
CanRay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 2 2013, 12:10 PM) *
Maybe he had played Spec Ops: The Line recently and just really wanted to kill a radio announcer.
I cried when he died. It was the Mission where the Music Died... nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012