Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chummer Question: Custom datafiles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Shaidar
I've been trying to use the Custom Datafile functionality to create a new Species/Metavariant (or Metatype whichever will work) for a player of mine to use for a character. The end result I wish to have a species with different min/max attributes than exists currently in the other metatypes/metavariants along with a set of both positive and negative qualities. I've compiled the rough total BP cost from using the Runner's Companion (2nd printing) now I'm trying to get Chummer to have the same information for my player to use your program for character creation.

I started from a copy of the current Metatype datafile and renaming it as directed to custom_metatypes.

Next, I deleted redundant information and began editing an existing Metavariant to have the qualities of the new Metavariant I wished to create. Then I saved the file and opened Chummer. Alas, the new Metavariant did not appear on the pull-down list.

Next, I tried creating my desired species as a new Metatype again starting from a copy of the original datafile and renaming it, editing it as necessary to have the necessary statistics and qualities. Saved, opened Chummer; alas, no new Metatype.

Am I doing something incorrect?
bannockburn
Have you added the custom file in the options for allowed books?
SpellBinder
Do note that the Source & Page tags are required information. If it's something you've added to a custom type, then you'll also have to have that type listed in a Category tag. Without these, the critter won't show up. Obviously if the Source tag doesn't have something that's recognized as a Book in a custom_books.xml file, then it still won't show up. If you do have to add and enable a custom book for the custom metatype, you will need to restart Chummer first before the newly enabled book is actually applied.

Just a few thoughts without actually seeing your XML files.
Shaidar
I didn't know the book thing.

So the metatype shows up now... but, as soon as I select the Metatype I get an error.

Here is the code for my datafile.
[ Spoiler ]

And here is the Code for the Error.
[ Spoiler ]

What am I doing wrong?
SpellBinder
Since you're not using a custom type, you don't actually need the Categories tag like I previously mentioned.

I copied the code to test, and from the error you posted (and I also got) it looked like it was one of the qualities you have required for this metatype. I removed the last one from the XML, as it did not look like an existing quality right away, and the error disappeared.

What you're going to have to do is either create a custom_qualities.XML file for the kender's compulsive kleptomania, or specify the level of danger associated with it, like this:

<quality select="Kleptomania">Poor Self Control (Compulsive - High Danger)</quality>
Shaidar
OK, I've created a custom_qualities file, it validates with the XSD file. Code below.

[ Spoiler ]

No error received.
SpellBinder
Looks good, though if if you really want you can cut the <?xml> and Categories tags (I actually use Notepad.exe for writing/editing XML). Unless you're creating a completely new Category for some custom content, you don't need that part in your custom file. And as long as the quality name is matched in the metatype entry, you're set.
Shaidar
On another topic, I noticed that while you can purchase Dikote as a chemical Chummer does not seem to allow one to modify the piece of gear it is coated on.

Any ideas how to rectify this? I was thinking Custom Weapon Mod and Armor Mod, but the surface area calculations for armor, weapons and ammo could get hairy.

Dikote™ Availability 4 1,000¥ per 100 cm2
Dikote™: This chemical process deposits a layer of diamond on any solid, rigid surface. You can use it to reinforce the structure of buildings, vehicles, and even worn armor, increasing the Armor rating (Ballistic and Impact) by 3. You can even buff up your melee weapon, giving it an additional +1 to its Damage Value and, if it’s an edged weapon, a –2 AP modifier.
The Dikote™ process is sold by surface area, in lots of 100 square centimeter. For reference, a jacket is about 15,000 square centimeter, a full suit of armor is about 22,500 square centimeter, and a long coat is around 27,500 square centimeter (multiply by 0.75 for dwarf sizes and by 1.5 for troll sizes). A katana is 500 square centimeter. It’s a good edge to have on the street, at least until the patent expires and everybody has it.
SpellBinder
Wouldn't be too difficult. Mind I haven't tested either of these myself, yet.
[ Spoiler ]
This covers up to 50,000cm^2 for body armors (should be large enough), and should scale the cost accordingly. I don't figure that as an armor mod this would take more than a single point of capacity, myself. Just change the name and cost multiplier accordingly for trolls & dwarves for their own entries.

And this:
[ Spoiler ]
Has to be listed as a mod as melee weapons aren't allowed accessories. Allows for up to 1,000cm^2, which probably will be enough to cover any typical melee weapon (just up the rating value if you need larger). Just make a copy with an apbonus of 0 and label for blunt weapons, and you're set.

Makes me wonder, now, why this isn't set in the later years. Like around the 2070's...
Shaidar
...at least until the patent expires and everybody has it.

I think this is supposed to lead us to believe that it is already factored into the stats of 2070 gear.

Is there a way to make it so the Edged version will only be selectable when modifying an Edged Weapon?
SpellBinder
Unfortunately no. Chummer doesn't really know one weapon type from another, which is why there's two different Personalized Grip mods.

As for the Dikone, I would like to think so, and have found that others here seem to think the same, but then I see numerous bladed weapons with an AP of - or -1 and I still wonder. More like seems to me that it was completely forgotten about until the 2050 book came out.
bannockburn
It's more likely an issue of "get rid of a thing that's smeared on everything" wink.gif
In-game explanation is "armor production has followed the innovation" or something along these lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012