Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disenchanting Foci
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mugzy
On pg 307 of SR5O:

With the Disenchanting skill, a focus can be effectively recycled, as a portion of the freed mana can recharge spent reagents. To break a focus down into reagents and totally destroy it, a magician must have touch contact with it. Breaking down a focus requires an Opposed Disenchanting + Magic [Astral] v. target’s Force (+ owner’s Magic if bonded and if the focus isn’t yours) Test.

Later is describes recycling the focus' power into another enchantment and describes this as taking an hour per force point of the focus. I'm not interested in recycling the power, just in nuking a Focus into slag. It also says that disenchanting also works for alchemical preparations, and in that roll, is a complex action.

The question I have for interpretation, is say I have a Physical Adept who has Disenchanting as a skill, and who has also identified the item as a Focus using Assensing and Astral Perception. Say this Physical Adept is a martial artist who touches the focus using the called shot rules, and rolls to destroy the focus as part of his attack. Would he be able to destroy a Focus in combat? This would be similar to hacking cyberware, but force the disenchanter to be in meatspace with the defender.

Sendaz
Did it mention damage caused by this to the focus or how much 'health' the focus has?

Asking as even in hacking the cyberware they assigned it a health level and the hacking would shut it down once it's damage track was filled from the way they explained this in another thread.
Someone did mention there would be a method for breaking a focus in a similar manner, so I wonder if this is what they were referring to...

So I imagine it may be something similar or there is a time factor they may or may not have listed (missing information?!? never!) for this.

Wonder if Aaron or Crit have anything to shine upon this.

Tanegar
There's already a spell that lets you shut down a focus and force its owner to spend an action to reactivate it. I could see a spell that specifically damages foci. Not sure why you'd want to engage in melee to use it, though.
Aaron
QUOTE (Mugzy @ Jul 7 2013, 05:12 PM) *
The question I have for interpretation, is say I have a Physical Adept who has Disenchanting as a skill, and who has also identified the item as a Focus using Assensing and Astral Perception. Say this Physical Adept is a martial artist who touches the focus using the called shot rules, and rolls to destroy the focus as part of his attack. Would he be able to destroy a Focus in combat?

Only if he can manage to hold onto the focus for a number of hours equal to the Force of the focus. That's how long disenchanting takes.
Stahlseele
Breaking a Focus is as easy as breaking the physical component though.
As soon as the physical component is changed in any kind or way, the focus stops working as such, if i remember correctly.
So if it has some wood on it? break it off or set it on fire.
Aaron
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 7 2013, 06:32 PM) *
There's already a spell that lets you shut down a focus and force its owner to spend an action to reactivate it. I could see a spell that specifically damages foci. Not sure why you'd want to engage in melee to use it, though.

That's true in SR4, but not at the moment in SR5. It makes sense for that kind of functionality to be a spell (in SR4), since there wasn't any other way to do it. There might be such a spell in a future supplement for SR5, but the new edition has more of a "separation of powers," so it wouldn't surprise me if that functionality stayed purely within the realm of Enchantment.
Epicedion
Permanently breaking a focus in combat sounds a little excessive.
Umidori
It already happened in SR4, and I've never heard anyone complain about it. Called shot to a focus, typically resisted with only a few points of Barrier rating, instant waste of karma.

~Umi
BishopMcQ
If you go back to p 307 and look at:
To deactivate an active focus, make an Opposed Disenchanting + Magic [Astral] v. target’s Force + owner’s Magic Test. You can do this from the physical or astral plane, though you must have line of sight to the focus. If you get more successes on the test, the focus deactivates.

That way, it stops working, you shoot them in the face, and take it for yourself.
Sendaz
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 7 2013, 09:29 PM) *
If you go back to p 307 and look at:

That way, it stops working, you shoot them in the face, and take it for yourself.

I like how you think. biggrin.gif
Shemhazai
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 7 2013, 09:29 PM) *

Or just shoot them in the face and take it, unless that focus is somehow preventing that.
Sendaz
New revenue plan for sammies- Geek the Mage, Loot the Body, Have the Face fence the goodies (figure he will have better contacts and bargaining skills)

Rinse and repeat

*shivers*

Great, now I am gonna have to ask for a providence on any focus I buy, as it may have a bit of history.

Those red spots mon? Dat just be splashes of jungle berry juice on it.. now you want it or not?
Elfenlied
Time to start implanting Foci!
Sendaz
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 8 2013, 06:02 AM) *
Time to start implanting Foci!

Heh, and lose essence from the procedure?

Though I did once seriously consider the idea of orichalcum bone lacing for a built in focus...

Plus the deactivation can be done from astral so I suspect it will still light up on the astral and still be vulnerable to shut down at least.
Stahlseele
hmm, surgery for purely cosmetic reasons does not cost essence right?
so simply putting something under your skin should not cost essence either correct?
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 8 2013, 12:07 PM) *
Heh, and lose essence from the procedure?

Though I did once seriously consider the idea of orichalcum bone lacing for a built in focus...

Plus the deactivation can be done from astral so I suspect it will still light up on the astral and still be vulnerable to shut down at least.

Might as well throw in some Cybereyes, Daredrenaline and a Pain Editor while you're at it.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 8 2013, 12:43 PM) *
hmm, surgery for purely cosmetic reasons does not cost essence right?
so simply putting something under your skin should not cost essence either correct?

Isn't one of the IEs (Frosty afaik) a precedent for implanted foci?
Stahlseele
yes and no . . one of her femurs was made into a focus i think . .
and there is always irezumi. tattoo focus. no essence cost either.
Sendaz
Probably not for something minor, but if its just under the skin that's really not offering any added protection from the body. If you wanted it protected from trick shots really need it buried deeper and preferably under the rib cage or shielded by some sort of bone.

Interestingly, some legends speak of mages doing exactly that, slitting the skin to slip gems and other talisman under the skin and then sewing it back up, so there is some history of doing this.

Sendaz
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 8 2013, 06:49 AM) *
Might as well throw in some Cybereyes, Daredrenaline and a Pain Editor while you're at it.
which is why we never went through with it...

Stahlseele
AH had something called the cage of bones i think made up for an older version of SR.
Basically, the magician is flayed open and his ribs are engraved with runes of binding.
Then a Spirit is bound to that. Even in death the Spirit will still be bound to that.
Sendaz
And people wonder why mages don't get invited to parties...

So how was your day?

Oh same old, same old.... Got Flayed and a spirit bound to the ribs. Gotta tell you it itches like mad....
Elfenlied
Well, I'm sure there are foci that fit smuggling/fingertip compartments, so if you're that paranoid or your group likes to play this way, go for it.

I'd probably pack Turn to goo just to drink those delicious Sammy tears when I loot their cyberware.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 8 2013, 08:00 AM) *
I'd probably pack Turn to goo just to drink those delicious Sammy tears when I loot their cyberware.

Save me some of those the next time you go 'shopping'. Could use those for a ritual I got in the works..
Stahlseele
It doesn't work like that, remember?
Turn to goo is hard to cast in the first place.
And then the goo has a barrier rating of the Body Attribute of the Target.
Which is usually high enough on a Samurai to begin with.
And the Barrier Rating gets doubled for attacks against the Barrier without using explosived directly attached to the barrier correct?
Sendaz
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 8 2013, 07:04 AM) *
It doesn't work like that, remember?
Turn to goo is hard to cast in the first place.
And then the goo has a barrier rating of the Body Attribute of the Target.
Which is usually high enough on a Samurai to begin with.
And the Barrier Rating gets doubled for attacks against the Barrier without using explosived directly attached to the barrier correct?

It's double rating except for explosives OR Indirect combat spells which only use the normal armor rating and since its a mage already doing this.....

granted there better and easier targets, but sometimes its style over substance nyahnyah.gif
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jul 8 2013, 03:10 AM) *
Or just shoot them in the face and take it, unless that focus is somehow preventing that.

I was picturing a sustaining focus with Improved Reflexes or Armor (the more common spells I've seen sustained). Without the buffs, mages are much easier to geek.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012