Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2075: Stormy Waters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
Imladir
Ok cool smile.gif
For the description anyway, I can't say for the three years old ^^
Mercy
Tanya uses the held action to draw and ready her dart pistol then steps around the corner, hoping that the gunman is nervous enough to miss with his held shot.

Simple Action: Aim
Simple Action: Shoot

Fire Dart Pistol: Shoot Dart Pistol: 19d6t5 5 5 hits
adamu
Just to be clear, there would be no problem using your whip if you were indeed on his side of the doorway with him...it was just the around-the-corner thing that I had to assign penalties to...

Once you get to attack him, take your pick, I don't mind.

But first, as you expected, he is holding an action to shoot you when you come through the door.
And he got four hits.
And burst fire, so you are minus 2 dice on your defense.

If it comes down to a soak, his power is 6, with -4 AP....

Once you survive that we can look at how you do on your attack....
adamu
BORDER CROSSING

DES group:

You guys seem to be conversing right now, so I haven't put any IC up (but I will put something descriptive up in a moment).

But the link shows the immediate area.

Near as I can tell, that yellowish line (I don't know why it is there on the map really) is right where the Seattle-Salish border should be (based on my old old old Seattle book).

So assume there is a wire & sensor-topped wall all along it.

The border here passes through what is basically the small town of Enumclaw, so there is infrastructure and commerce on both sides. The crossing itself is right there on Griffin & Porter, right where the yellow line makes a 90 degree turn. Hopefully you won't have any need to actually cross yourself. DES knows this spot well, and he knows that the border guards aren't set up to mess with anything not involved directly with an actual crossing, nor are they supposed to.
But as you can see, there are a couple of Knight-Errant cruisers just inside the crossing...

There is also a wall all around the block marked Enumclaw Municipal Court - that will be the border station where they do admin work and keep lots of guns and interview suspicious people or whatever.

Kitty-corner to that is the block marked Enumclaw Campus. That is the service area - the building has all sorts of amenities - food, showers, a few rooms, blah blah for the weary trucker or traveller just through the border. Not much security at all, though the whole thing is in clear sight of the border guards and the loitering cops.

That is where Mr-Reattached-Toe says the shipment is supposed to come in and rendezvous with the small army of Seoulpa thugs John blew up.

No sign yet of the sort of truck Rave showed you in her purloined surveillance photos.

You guys can be pretty much anywhere on that map you want to be at this point.
Mercy
I totally misunderstood you. I will go back to plan A, then.

Tanya will slide through the doorway and attack with the whip. Let me get some defense rolls, then update the IC post.

Defense is normally 13d6 so is now 11d6: Dodge: 11d6t5 6 6 hits so defended against the shot.

Then going to the attack with the whip: Whip Attack: 18d6t5 7 DV 12 + net hits AP-8

adamu
QUOTE (Mercy @ Nov 5 2016, 07:15 PM) *
I totally misunderstood you. I will go back to plan A, then.

Tanya will slide through the doorway and attack with the whip. Let me get some defense rolls, then update the IC post.

Defense is normally 13d6 so is now 11d6: Dodge: 11d6t5 6 6 hits so defended against the shot.

Then going to the attack with the whip: Whip Attack: 18d6t5 7 DV 12 + net hits AP-8

Yeah, just PbP fog - that's why even though it slows things down I try to make sure we are on the same page before anything gets finalized.

Okay, so he misses you somehow and you cut him to bits (as I figured would happen, but I have to try).

My turn to toss up an IC...just a few seconds and it'll be up there....
Mercy
I do appreciate you making sure we are seeing things properly. I altered the IC post to reflect the whip attack.
Mercy
Tanya's actions for IP3 are just to finish her walking move and use a simple action to scan with her radar.
Mercy
Looks like the guys need to go back to the Korean thug boss and see if he wants to change his story. Maybe the truck is still on the way.
Mercy
So ready for the next combat turn.

Initiative: Initiative: 13+3d6 22 22 and 3IPs

I can wait to see what Spriggan is doing, or do we push on?
adamu
Well, Spriggan's whole thing was to follow you in for the ensuing combat turn, and that's now done. So assume she's close behind you.

Her spirit has its orders, and will carry on until and unless she changes them.

Anyway, I think all three of you are synced up through the end of the previous turn.

So we carry on with the next, and I think it's pretty save to assume you have the highest initiative, so you can take your first IP, then we'll need to wait to see what Aria wants to do...

Note that if you try either stairway, you may find obstructions...
Mercy
Tanya considers her options and heads to the kitchen, where she is hoping to hear the hiss of gas and or smell it as she uses a simple action to take a third grenade from her other arm.
Raiderj
Hey guys. I won't mince words. Hurricane Matthew fucked me. Hard. I am without the means to roleplay and I am using a friends comp for this post. I am working my ass off to get a new comp but my transportation and ability to keep my job come first. I should be up by christmas. Sorry.
Mercy
@John Although you were not there, I am reminded that there were two KE officers and several building security officers present when the Yaks tried to kill me at the plaza and they did nothing to help. My guess at the time is that they were bribed to look the other way.
Bastard
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Nov 5 2016, 08:41 PM) *
Hey guys. I won't mince words. Hurricane Matthew fucked me. Hard. I am without the means to roleplay and I am using a friends comp for this post. I am working my ass off to get a new comp but my transportation and ability to keep my job come first. I should be up by christmas. Sorry.

That's terrible. Good luck to you with recovering.
Mercy
Indeed, good luck. I was in Charleston, SC, when Hugo came through in 1989. Tore part of my roof off and flooded my house. I was in temp quarters for several months. Power was out for days and we could not even drive anywhere for a week before they opened a road to the nearest town that was not hit so we could buy groceries. And there was not much on those shelves, I can tell you. I can sympathize with your situation and hope that you get back going without too much effort.
Mercy
Hmmmm. I wonder if the gunman that left the house is fleeing or going for help? In any case, I am hoping that we can end this in time to help the other team.
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Nov 6 2016, 03:41 AM) *

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

What does not kill us....

But glad you are still with us in spirit.

As I mentioned earlier, we'll put Vex on the bench for now, but as soon as you let us know you're back to posting we'll work you right back in.
adamu
QUOTE (Mercy @ Nov 7 2016, 01:06 AM) *
Hmmmm. I wonder if the gunman that left the house is fleeing or going for help? In any case, I am hoping that we can end this in time to help the other team.

Before saying what Tanya and Spriggan encounter at the top of the stairs, i'd like to wait to see whether Aria/Spriggan has the spirit carry on with its previous mission parameters or makes any changes....
Mercy
I am OK with that. I do not want to jump too far ahead of Spriggan.
Aria
QUOTE (adamu @ Nov 7 2016, 09:54 PM) *
Before saying what Tanya and Spriggan encounter at the top of the stairs, i'd like to wait to see whether Aria/Spriggan has the spirit carry on with its previous mission parameters or makes any changes....

KILL 'EM ALL Mwuah hah hah! ork.gif
adamu
QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 8 2016, 12:53 PM) *
KILL 'EM ALL Mwuah hah hah! ork.gif

Well, that will simplify things somewhat...
adamu
@Mercy and Aria - okay, pretty much mop up time, now.

No more need for initiative.

I'm sure Tanya will have no problem with the door.

And if you want anyone alive I suppose Spriggan can call her monster off in time to spare one or two...

Not sure what you want to do from here, but as long as you don't conjure yourselves any sort of amazing gifts, you can do what you want.

(Though the police will not be showing up anytime soon.)
Mercy
Yeah, I sort of expected the police to not show up, but I could not count on that. My guess is that the trix wizards were able to convince someone that my call was a hoax or something. I am not sure that Tanya needs any of these fraggers alive. One of her taske will be to go through the house looking for those that were knocked out by the earlier spirit and make sure that they are dead. These scum killed a man she was friends with and tried to kill her. It is too bad that one got away. Maybe he will spread the rumors about that the witches got to the house as well and that is fine with Tanya.
Mercy
OK. I took it to where I hope she can start a fire and explosion. If something goes wrong with that plan, she has another and I can edit the post. If the plan works and there is a satisfying explosion, she will head to the lake to dive in and try to get some of the blood off her in the freezing ass cold water before dressing and leaving to go to their bikes.
Aria
QUOTE (Mercy @ Nov 9 2016, 05:32 AM) *
OK. I took it to where I hope she can start a fire and explosion. If something goes wrong with that plan, she has another and I can edit the post. If the plan works and there is a satisfying explosion, she will head to the lake to dive in and try to get some of the blood off her in the freezing ass cold water before dressing and leaving to go to their bikes.

Spriggan has the fashion and makeover spells...may not need to take a dip?!?
Mercy
Now that would be neat. And very welcome. She is probably covered in blood and viscera and thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening. I wonder if that makes her a psychopath or something?
mister__joshua
@adamu: How big is this service area? Are we talking small petrol station with a Spar attached, or large scale, multiple shops? Would I be able to buy clothes etc here?
mister__joshua
@adamu: How big is this service area? Are we talking small petrol station with a Spar attached, or large scale, multiple shops? Would I be able to buy clothes etc here?
adamu
@Mercy & Aria - there, you finally blew up the house.

Hope the IC provides some explanation - I think maybe you were so focused on the yaks who were fighting for their lives that it may not have occurred that there were five badass deckers fighting for their lives as well - and though you were wise enough to go wifi dark personally, and although all their combat drones had been tasked to the shipment (which the other team won't have to fight now), they did everything they could to manipulate the environment (utilities, local comms, in-house surveillance) in their favor.

Anyway, that is about it for you guys' part of this run. Feel free to IC whatever you like as wrap up.

Once the other team does their thing and we see how that turns out, we can see what the next chapter may bring.
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Nov 9 2016, 03:08 PM) *

It's as big as shown on the map link a few posts above. Assume there's a gas, I mean petrol, station as part of the building, plus lots of food. Not really a need for much else, since as you can see, although it's a "service area", it is hardly in a rural area - the town of Enumclaw straddles the border crossing here, and there is various commerce - you can buy clothes at a variety of places within no more than a block.
Aria
Spellcasting Makeover 12d6t5: 3 [12d6t5=4, 5, 2, 4, 4, 2, 6, 2, 3, 5, 1, 4] should be enough to clean up Lady T without her taking a dip! Pitiful drain roll but probably moot anyway 14d6t5: 2 [14d6t5=3, 1, 1, 3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 4, 1, 4, 5, 3, 1]

Between now and whenever we pick up with whatever the hell is going on in the DES thread (deliberately haven't read it yet!) Spriggan wants to pick up a sustaining focus...that likely to be an issue? Having crap reflexes is a pain in the %$**! but I also need Cha boosted for drain rolls...not that it did much good for the spell above nyahnyah.gif
Mercy
Cool. Thanks for sparing me the dip in the water. We can IC going to get your focus, if you like. Do you have a source?
Aria
QUOTE (Mercy @ Nov 10 2016, 03:37 PM) *
Cool. Thanks for sparing me the dip in the water. We can IC going to get your focus, if you like. Do you have a source?

Got contacts coming out of my ears! The Toymaker is probably the best bet if we have got time for a trip to Cougar Mountain! Adam...?
adamu
@Aria and Mercy -

as I've said, I don't have anything further for your characters in this 'chapter' of the story - but you are free to keep role-playing away to your heart's content, of course!!!
(once the DES side wraps up, I am going to take a month or three off GMing because I want to do a much better job on the next chapter of the story - something really first-rate and polished, and I'll need some time for that - natch the current players all have first dibs on spots).

As for focus availability (and also cyber since Mercy was asking about that)...I am not big on all the dice and so forth in the RAW - that, to me, is all to just bypass role-playing. I do take the base prices and availability ratings as guides...to a certain extent.

You probably both are swimming in money, so not too worried about that.

As for availability, I see it as a useful mechanic for dealing with restricted items or those rare items for which the absolute supply is very limited.

But for anything for which production technology exists and is not regulated, then availability is silly. The market will provide, and the only real 'availability' is set by the market as PRICE.

If a piece of cyber is totally legal like, say, a toxin extractor - no possible threat to anyone, probably popular with rich people - and there are people that want it for low essence, then you can walk into a high-end legal clinic, lay down your money, and get it.
(Having no records of the transaction is another matter, but if that worries you it can be handled through RP)

Same for non-offensive magical items, basically. A sustaining focus would be readily available in a world where every major town has talismonger shops, and the cold-science hermetic tradition being a thing, heck, some mages probably order them online.
Some RP would be nice if you want it nicely aligned with your tradiition.
Plus for magic everything is licensed out of fear of magic among the muggles, so there is that to get around, but again, a bit of extra money or RP should do it.

Illegal things, now, that would involve serious contacts, lots of extra cash (multipliers in book, I think), and maybe even dice/social skills.

As for RPing out a trip to Cougar Mountain (or anywhere), are you asking me if I'm up for it? Hells yeah, sure.
But do the two of you want it to be a collaborative storytelling thing, or do you want a GM involved to run the NPCs and referee results of actions?
Either way okay with me - tell me what you think.
Mercy
Hey, I am ready to continue doing this thread, Tanya needs to do some things to improve her skills and qualities. I can keep posting in the thread until Adamu is ready to start up again.
Aria
Yeah, will dip in and out but don't wait for me...going to prioritise GMing again for a bit smile.gif
adamu
@DES group -

okay, first off - I am seeing occasional posts from Jack, JDragon, and Mr. J....

I know Raider is on hiatus.

Dire and Vegas - still with us...?

Anyway, according to what you've been told by D-Pop, you've got between four and nine minutes before your target arrives. So if you've got anything to do best do it!
Mr. J already has positioned Jan!
By the way, this is Auburn, not the Barrens - walking into shops with a rifle on your back will attract some attention - just sayin' for future reference...
Yeah, those bikers have a lot of weapons - and they are definitely attracting plenty of notice themselves.

Not saying anyone actually bothers you or them...people would leave that to the police...who don't seem to be doing anything....yet...?

Just a heads up on the environment....

I am going to at least give our more active players to do anything they want, and then if we haven't heard from some others I'll likely puppet them (in support capacities) so that we can move forward.
adamu
QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 11 2016, 12:55 PM) *
Yeah, will dip in and out but don't wait for me...going to prioritise GMing again for a bit smile.gif

That's cool.

If you do dip in and need any sort of GM presence for any reason, just let me know....
mister__joshua
QUOTE (adamu @ Nov 11 2016, 09:05 PM) *
@DES group -

okay, first off - I am seeing occasional posts from Jack, JDragon, and Mr. J....

I know Raider is on hiatus.

Dire and Vegas - still with us...?

Anyway, according to what you've been told by D-Pop, you've got between four and nine minutes before your target arrives. So if you've got anything to do best do it!
Mr. J already has positioned Jan!
By the way, this is Auburn, not the Barrens - walking into shops with a rifle on your back will attract some attention - just sayin' for future reference...
Yeah, those bikers have a lot of weapons - and they are definitely attracting plenty of notice themselves.

Not saying anyone actually bothers you or them...people would leave that to the police...who don't seem to be doing anything....yet...?

Just a heads up on the environment....

I am going to at least give our more active players to do anything they want, and then if we haven't heard from some others I'll likely puppet them (in support capacities) so that we can move forward.

Just to clarify as i think you misread it, I put that Jan left his rifle in the back (of the RV), not on his back. For exactly the reason you said nyahnyah.gif
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Nov 12 2016, 01:52 AM) *
Just to clarify as i think you misread it, I put that Jan left his rifle in the back (of the RV), not on his back. For exactly the reason you said nyahnyah.gif

Doh - I thought it said 'on his' when you wrote 'in the'. My bad!
Jack_Spade
Oh, one option I haven't mentioned in the IP that I'd need GM clarification for:

We could call in an emergency somewhere else in Enumclaw to draw the KE away. But that would work only if they are
a) a normal patrol and not border guards
b) KE is actually responsible for this town and not just for specific parts

I'd have to make an untrained knowledge check, so if anyone else knows about KE this would be a good time to volunteer that knowledge wink.gif
adamu
I'll give you the answer since one of your team, Rave, is an actual KE officer, and Vegas may or may not have time to post anytime soon...

These guys are mostly likely tasked to deal with any border-related stuff that gets past the border guards themselves (since they can't leave their post). Like, if someone blows past them and on into the plex, that's what these guys are for.
They would have discretion, of course, to deal with any nearby problems they see.
But if a call at another location went out, these guys at the border would not likely be dispatched there.
adamu
@DES team

Hah! That's Jan all right!

Good - this will be some fun RP for a moment.

We'll see who else chimes in on that idea (not sure where John and Rocky will be on it, but I am quite sure where all three of the 'inactive' players' characters would be...).
JDragon
So I'll get an IC up as soon as I can to cover this, but figured it would be best to get the basics up. Not sure when I'll be able to do the IC and don't want to slow things down.

Rocky will not be down for blowing a hole in the side of the truck for several reasons.
A. He's not going to go with a plan that will very likely injure or kill some of the kids, including possibly Audric.
B. He is hear to save all the kids not just the one someone is getting paid to rescue.

As an alternate idea, why not have John hack one of the local trucks thats sitting here. Just before the target comes though, use it to plow through the bikers. This provides the needed distraction for KE and takes out another large portion of the opposition. The rest of us (maybe John as well) grab the truck and burn runner.

JD
Jack_Spade
I thought about using cars as weapons, but with their low handling compared to the bikes it's pretty unlikely a ramming attack would work

Vegas
Don't have a ton of time (or spare brain power) to post today (maybe not till Monday) but...

If we want to attempt to play Rave's connection to KE... Perhaps call in a "explosives threat" on the specific truck once it clears customs/the border so that perhaps it would be isolated by KE and we could manage to attempt to plant something on it that would trip sensors/dogs/whatever they use to validate the presence of explosives and then force them to open the truck, free ALL the kids and then create a diversion and smuggle Auric away from the scene?

Just a quick thought as to steer Adamu's push forward (or if anyone wants to work in something from Rave) before i have a full and well chance to post.
JDragon
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Nov 12 2016, 01:10 PM) *
I thought about using cars as weapons, but with their low handling compared to the bikes it's pretty unlikely a ramming attack would work

I can understand that, but I'm thinking it going to depend on how aware they are and how much lead time they have to react before it hits. Even if it doesn't injure them it would distract them from the real attack and probably more so than one of us shooting at them.
Jack_Spade
There is a slight misconception about John's abilities: He can change ownership on things pretty easily with a few minutes time, but he isn't a hacker as such (and due to the stupid rules in DT can't actually jump into anything that isn't an anthro drone). So he can take exactly one car and would have to steer it normally, since the auto pilot won't do ramming attacks on its own.

That's why I'd rather use the Korean as an unwitting suicide bomber.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (adamu @ Nov 12 2016, 06:47 PM) *
@DES team

Hah! That's Jan all right!

Good - this will be some fun RP for a moment.

We'll see who else chimes in on that idea (not sure where John and Rocky will be on it, but I am quite sure where all three of the 'inactive' players' characters would be...).

Glad you enjoyed it nyahnyah.gif

@all: I'm open to to any plan, but if it comes down to it and there's a chance to compete the mission Jan'll take it and run with it. He is a bit of a nasty bastard wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012