Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cerebral Boosters and Knowledge Skills
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Trigger
So, the text of Cerebral Boosters state that they "increase your Logic attribute by their rating". This is not "they add their rating to your Attribute" like it is stated with say Muscle Toner, so it sounds like they like mean something a little different, directly increasing the attribute instead of modifying it. Does this mean that you can use your Cerebral Boosted Logic attribute to determine your starting free Knowledge skills? I checked the one example in the book with a Cerebral Booster, the Decker archetype, and it was not helpful; the example has a Logic 5(6) and Intuition 4 and 19 points of Knowledge skills, so they either added one too many or one too few, or spent Karma on 1 point of Knowledge's, I can't tell. So, Dumpshock, how do you think it should work?
Jack VII
Off the cuff, I don't think cyber or bio should impact your starting knowledge skills since it would logically depend on when you had the tech installed (i.e. before or after gaining knowledge). Just seems weird.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Trigger @ Jul 19 2013, 10:58 AM) *
So, the text of Cerebral Boosters state that they "increase your Logic attribute by their rating". This is not "they add their rating to your Attribute" like it is stated with say Muscle Toner, so it sounds like they like mean something a little different, directly increasing the attribute instead of modifying it. Does this mean that you can use your Cerebral Boosted Logic attribute to determine your starting free Knowledge skills? I checked the one example in the book with a Cerebral Booster, the Decker archetype, and it was not helpful; the example has a Logic 5(6) and Intuition 4 and 19 points of Knowledge skills, so they either added one too many or one too few, or spent Karma on 1 point of Knowledge's, I can't tell. So, Dumpshock, how do you think it should work?
I don't believe the authors would try to create such a nuanced sentence like you're reading. Unless they specifically add words to say something like "this is different from other augmentations in that it directly increases..." you should use the KISS rule. I think it should be interpreted just like all the other attribute-augmenting augments.
Trigger
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 18 2013, 11:10 PM) *
I don't believe the authors would try to create such a nuanced sentence like you're reading. Unless they specifically add words to say something like "this is different from other augmentations in that it directly increases..." you should use the KISS rule. I think it should be interpreted just like all the other attribute-augmenting augments.

Yeah, you are probably right. I wasn't going to give it as much thought as I have, but then I saw the archetype and it's odd number of knowledge skills and I tried figuring it out more. It is probably just poor editing on the archetypes, like usual.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Trigger @ Jul 18 2013, 09:12 PM) *
It is probably just poor editing on the archetypes, like usual.

Tradition
Jaid
page 95, left column, third paragraph:

"Attributes boosted by cyberware or bioware do
not affect the calculation for things such as points for
Knowledge skills or Contacts."

(short version: no).
Sendaz
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 18 2013, 10:10 PM) *

I think they are trying touse heavily nuanced sentences not to hide stuff but just to sound cooler, unfortunately however what is coming out is vague statements open to interpretation until one of the designers pops up in a forum to say, 'oh yeah we meant this, why don't you understand what we were thinking?'. The recent discussion on recoil is a good case in point.

Thankfully for this one about boosters there was a followup paragraph to clear it up.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 19 2013, 03:28 PM) *
The recent discussion on recoil is a good case in point.
Thanks for reminding me, I need to go read that one.
Isath
QUOTE (Trigger @ Jul 19 2013, 05:12 AM) *
It is probably just poor editing on the archetypes, like usual.

Or one could see it as poor editing of the rules... why would one reduce the amount of knowledge skills in the first place, also... what was so important about it, that it had to be changed last minute?
Jhaiisiin
There were a lot of things changed throughout the playtest process. Some because things didn't work, others because entire systems had to be rewritten. As a result, some things get overlooked or poorly worded. The general guiding principle however was KISS. So if one interpretation of a rule seems needlessly complex, and another fairly simple, generally you should assume the latter.
Abstruse
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 18 2013, 09:47 PM) *
Tradition

I told Randall that he should just keep the "p. XX" references in the book if he wanted to give it that old-school FASA feel, but NOOOO...he HAD to go with the archetype characters that are somehow simultaneously completely and utterly broken, yet also horribly under-optimized.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012