Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New SR: Missions Home group questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
FateBurn
After spending forever trying to choose a campaign, we took the suggestion of some other players and decided to just pick up the Shadowrun Mission material and play through it. However, there are a few questions that have come up in the group and I was hoping some of you chummers could help me out.

Firstly, we wanted to start out doing the earlier seasons and playing catch up; to see what we missed essentially. However, we noticed right away that Season 2 is like, 24 missions long. Playing once a week that's half a year of gameplay! We may just skip it and start with Season 3, but figured it was worth asking here. If we were to try to play only a handful of missions from Season 2, what would you consider to be the absolute must plays?

Secondly, hacking. Very straight forward question. If there enough matrix stuff that a hacker is even viable? I've entered premade campaigns before, namely in third edition, where my decker felt woefully under utilized.

And finally I just want to note, if you're in the Tennessee area looking for a group around Knoxville hit us up. We are always looking for more experienced players.
forgarn
What edition are you planning on using (3rd, 4th, 5th)?
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (FateBurn @ Jul 21 2013, 12:18 AM) *
And finally I just want to note, if you're in the Tennessee area looking for a group around Knoxville hit us up. We are always looking for more experienced players.

Of course. The one Tennessee game I find and you guys are 4 hours away. Stupid big state. nyahnyah.gif

If you're using SR4 (as the icon says), I'd say go straight for Season 4.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 22 2013, 01:25 PM) *
Of course. The one Tennessee game I find and you guys are 4 hours away. Stupid big state. nyahnyah.gif

If you're using SR4 (as the icon says), I'd say go straight for Season 4.

I wouldn't go that far... Season 3 is a lot of fun. I'd skip Season 2 all together though... my memories of it and running it for my home group are that it just doesn't live up to the writing that Seasons 3 and 4 have, it also is pre-splat books, so most of the NPCs just couldn't stand up to Players with Augmentation, Arsenal, and Runners Companion backing them.

Then again, if the GM wants to do the work of upgrading the opposition, even Y2 could be nice. And as a home game, it certainly can be done.
Ricochet
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jul 22 2013, 02:30 PM) *
I wouldn't go that far... Season 3 is a lot of fun. I'd skip Season 2 all together though... my memories of it and running it for my home group are that it just doesn't live up to the writing that Seasons 3 and 4 have, it also is pre-splat books, so most of the NPCs just couldn't stand up to Players with Augmentation, Arsenal, and Runners Companion backing them.

Then again, if the GM wants to do the work of upgrading the opposition, even Y2 could be nice. And as a home game, it certainly can be done.

Is that what we should expect for season 5 then too? Season 5 is all written without the splat books, so as a result, it will all be subpar to player characters created later?

(NOTE: On the Tennessee thing, I'm in the opposite corner of the state...Memphis.)
FateBurn
Why is everybody so close, yet so far away! Well, if any of you are in the area sometime just bring your Missions character and we'll run a game with you. Just, you know, don't axe murder us or nothing.

So I should just skip season 2 and start with season 3?
Shortstraw
Season 2 is good for pink mohawk characters season 3 is for mirror shades. WARNING: Read the mission reviews here before you run a S2/3 mission they are not well thought out in some cases.
FateBurn
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Jul 25 2013, 02:37 PM) *
Season 2 is good for pink mohawk characters season 3 is for mirror shades. WARNING: Read the mission reviews here before you run a S2/3 mission they are not well thought out in some cases.

Where can I find the mission reviews? Link?
FateBurn
Well, we're starting Sunday with "Everyone's Your Friend". Or should we skip it since it's kind of like a transition game? I also have "Ready, Set, Gogh"
Shortstraw
It's a good introductory mission I would run it. As for the reviews they are on this board you just have to look at pages more than 90 days old.
FateBurn
Thanks for all the help everyone! We've settled on starting with "Everyone's Your Friend" and playing on Sundays and my character is all made up here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=618441 Advice and criticisms welcome. I'm a long time SR player, but new to missions. I really like to idea of getting to play with this character at cons and all, so i'm pretty excited. Now I just got to work on getting my cred up here with some of you folks!
cryptoknight
QUOTE (FateBurn @ Jul 27 2013, 02:45 PM) *
Thanks for all the help everyone? We've settled on starting with "Everyone's Your Friend" and playing on Sundays and my character is all made up here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=618441 Advice and criticisms welcome. I'm a long time SR player, but new to missions. I really like to idea of getting to play with this character at cons and all, so i'm pretty excited. Now I just got to work on getting my cred up here with some of you folks!

Keep in mind with Shadowrun 5 and SRM5 Missions that SR4 characters do not have a transition to SR5. I expect that by the end of 2013 there won't be many SR4 missions from either years 2, 3, or 4. It will all be SR5 at conventions and SRM5 missions.
FateBurn
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 6 2013, 03:59 PM) *
Keep in mind with Shadowrun 5 and SRM5 Missions that SR4 characters do not have a transition to SR5. I expect that by the end of 2013 there won't be many SR4 missions from either years 2, 3, or 4. It will all be SR5 at conventions and SRM5 missions.

We're aware, but mostly we want to see what we missed out on (since we had always run custom games until now) and give a last 6 month campaign send off to Shadowrun 4th. I figure it'll also buy us some time until the errata comes out. I guess also the added benefit of having a Prime character is nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012