Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slang for Manriki Gusari
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lilt
OK. My character in a game has a Manriki-Gusari, but the name is a bit of a mouthful and dosen't sound all that threatening to me as an english speaker.

Does anyone have any ideas for a realistic slang term for a Manriki-Gusari in seattle in the year 2063? I know it's probably a rare weapon, but I wouldn't be surprised that with the (highly effective) stats given to the weapon it could have been discovered and populated the shadows.

Right now I'm looking at Ruckus, Ricky, Rick-Gus or Mansari as name bastardisations. Anyone else have ideas? Maybe something that's not a name bastardisation?
Smiley
Riki or 'sari sounds realistic.
BitBasher
How about just "chain". Slannging something thats an unintimidating word people dont understand will lead to yet a different word someone's not going to understand. Shortening it wont change anything.
Lilt
QUOTE (BitBasher)
How about just "chain". Slannging something thats an unintimidating word people dont understand will lead to yet a different word someone's not going to understand. Shortening it wont change anything.

Hmm. Maybe Whip-las? Part Whip-Part Bolas?
FlakJacket
Whirley thing? Granted its not exactly a technical term though. smile.gif
Arethusa
Why do you need it to be intimidating? When you need intimidation, just give them a demonstration. If they value their lives, they'll understand why they should be somewhere else.
broho_pcp
This may not apply to the mang-gus, but I always liked the term "beating-stick."
Kagetenshi
Beating-chain, then. That's what it is, except when you decide to strangle people with it.

On a tangent, depending on what part of town I'm in, I can often disguise my manriki-gusari (or manriki-gusai, depending on who you talk to) as a piece of odd jewelry.

~J
Zazen
I think you should call it the Pain Chain smile.gif
Nikoli
Howabout chump-rope?
Austere Emancipator
I second Zazen. Pain Chain is purrfect.
Kakkaraun
Man-sari...now that...that's friggin' golden. Rare lapse into netspeak: ROFL.

Have a nice day.

smile.gif
Smiley
QUOTE (Kakkaraun)
Man-sari...now that...that's friggin' golden. Rare lapse into netspeak: ROFL.

Have a nice day.

smile.gif

...yeah. Bravo. ohplease.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (Smiley)
QUOTE (Kakkaraun @ Apr 27 2004, 10:39 PM)
Man-sari...now that...that's friggin' golden.  Rare lapse into netspeak: ROFL.

Have a nice day.

smile.gif

...yeah. Bravo. ohplease.gif

You'd get it if you knew what a sari is.
Kakkaraun
CODE

Joke

Smiley's Head

Yes, yes.
Smiley
You mean a garment worn mainly by women of India and Pakistan, made up of a length of cloth with one end wrapped around the waist and the other draped over the shoulder?

Yeah. I got it. Hysterical.
Kakkaraun
Oh, in that case, you just have the sense of humor of an autistic 80-year old with Alzheimer's and AIDs.
Arethusa
Lay off it, Kakkaraun. Your flaming's unnecessary and rather devoid of wit.

That said, Smiley, it may not've been hilarious, but it was cute. Wasn't necessary to flame him over it, in any case.

Now, get back on topic. Manriki gusari?
Smiley
Oh yes, because the concept of a MAN sari should make any NORMAL person douse their drawers with side-splitting laughter.

[edit] Fair enough. Arethusa has a point. Moving on...
Kakkaraun
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Lay off it, Kakkaraun. Your flaming's unnecessary and rather devoid of wit.

Yes. Because his flaming was both necessary, and extremely witty. I mean, a blank-stare smiley face? Not just ANYBODY could click that icon on the left over there! That takes a SHARP MIND.

As for a slang term for...well, anything, it doesn't really matter. Just call it whatever. Not worth fretting over.
Smiley
Don't pout.
Kakkaraun
Yes, because my response was SO different from yours. Could you stop posting 2-word irrelevant replies, now?
Smiley
I could...
Capt. Dave
Pain Chain gets my vote...heh heh heh. Pain Chain.
mfb
gusari, 'sari, sorry. "i said" *thwack* "i'm sorry!" *thwack*
Smiley
I like Pain Chain. I like it a lot.
A Clockwork Lime
Eh? "Pain Chain" sounds like something that would just make me point and laugh. "Oooh, you're pulling out your 'pain chain,' huh? What's next? You're going to pull out your 'gripe pipe' or 'strife knife' too?"

Like BitBasher, I'd just call it a chain and be done with it. As far as the vast majority of humanity would be concerned, that's all it is anyway.
Neon Tiger
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
You're going to pull out your 'gripe pipe' or 'strife knife' too?"

ROTFLMAO! biggrin.gif

Strife Knife = Dikoted Claymore?
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime @ Apr 28 2004, 08:46 AM)
You're going to pull out your 'gripe pipe' or 'strife knife' too?"

ROTFLMAO! biggrin.gif

Strife Knife = Dikoted Claymore?

Rusty Butterknife, actually
Arethusa
Gripe pipe really has a viciously comic tone to it. Little place in a serious game, but it has promise. Pain chain and strife knife are too overstated, really, and don't have the same wit.
Capt. Dave
I picture "pain chain" to be used by a troll ganger or such. Those types aren't known for their razor wit. Same for gripe pipe, etc.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
I picture "pain chain" to be used by a troll ganger or such. Those types aren't known for their razor wit. Same for gripe pipe, etc.

That's a good point. I was thinking of it more in terms of the metagame than anything else.
gfen

Y'know, someone else said "whirly thing," and it got me thinking.

There's an Australian Abororiginal insturment called a bullroarer. It basically consists of a cord with a heavy leaf-shaped air foil on the end of it. You perform with it by swinging the airfoil on the cord in circles above your head, where it produces a sound that's pretty much uniquely its own, a moan run through a flange if you will.

I could imagine, quite easily, the manriki might make a sound very similar to this.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012