Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hollow Earth Expedition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Jizmack
The game website: http://www.exilegames.com/games/hex.html
And here is a fan-made inspirational video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoax8B0JCts

I have the books on PDF and the rules look a lot like Shadowrun 2E with a fixed target number 4; basically, flipping coins. There are 6 primary attributes, many skills with different specializations, skill dice pools do not add attribute rating, and unskilled rolls default to attributes. Obviously, there is no cyber, matrix, or magic. Technology is 1930's and supernatural forces are highly limited elements of the storyline.

The pulp adventure setting is great, but the real appeal (at least for me) is the archetypes. Instead of your typical RPG game where all the characters have some combat abilities, these characters are mostly non-combatants. Archetypes include Actress (like Ann Darrow in King Kong), Field Biologist, Lost Traveler, Mad Scientist, Missionary, Occultist, Professor, Reporter, etc. Granted, the Big Game Hunter and Rugged Explorer will know how to use firearms, but they are still not likely to be combat trained.
This makes for innovative and challenging campaigns, where the players experience the action and excitement roleplaying their characters, but without the constant combat sequence. The game also includes Style Point, which are gained mostly by roleplaying your character's motivations and flaws, and can be used to boost talents or increase dice pools.

My question is, has anyone played this game (or something very similar to it) and if so, how did you manage running or playing in such a ‘rare-combat’ campaign filled with adventure?

I thank you in advance for your feedback.
Wounded Ronin
If I were on occultist, I would invest in combat training. I figure if I lost my marbles and decided to be like Aleister Crowley, that's exactly what I'd do.
pbangarth
Sounds like it has a bit of the feel of Call of Cthulhu.
nezumi
Except you're expected to survive. I've gotten to play it twice, and both times it was fantastic; very over the top, 'pink mohawk' (or whatever that would be in the 1930s. Pink monocle maybe?) Our last game we were fighting nazis around a moon portal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012