Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Farcast
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Ancient History
So, today marks the 2/3 way point for my Farcast blog. A new item, location, NPC, etc. for Eclipse Phase every day for 2013. Eight solid months of content, four to go. Lots for everyone.
Sengir
Out of curiosity, how much of that material did you actually have in store before starting the blog?
Ancient History
I started writing entries in October 2012 to build up a bit of cushion, then started posting 31 December 2012.
Sengir
If only I had the opportunity to use it (or any EP material, for that matter)...
Ancient History
http://www.farcastblog.com/2013/11/305-itch.html

Over 300 entries and counting.
Ancient History
Four weeks just flies past, doesn't it? Not too much longer to go now. Things you might have missed include Feather, Corrupted Chrysanthemum, Egotaph, Programmers without Borders, Dragoons, The Maas Gate and Heracles.
Stahlseele
admirable that you can keep churning it out like that and do your unpublishable too O.o
Ancient History
It's down to the final stretch, and the Farcast yearblog will end on 31 December 2013, completing a full year of new Eclipse Phase entries, 366 in total. If you haven't had a chance to read it yet, now's a good time to jump in and see what you've been missing! I'm gonna see how much awesome I can cram into the next few weeks, and any feedback is appreciated.
DMiller
AH,

I've been following your work for darn near a year now. wink.gif

It's AWESOME!

Just wish I had a group to play EP with. *sigh*
Tanegar
QUOTE (DMiller @ Dec 5 2013, 11:18 PM) *
Just wish I had a group to play EP with. *sigh*

W3rd. In my neck of the woods, it's basically D&D/Pathfinder or nothing. I know of one guy running Shadowrun, other than me, but that's it.
Sengir
OK, so we have three people looking for a game in this thread...anyone wants to GM an online game? biggrin.gif
ShadowDragon8685
If someone volunteers, I'm in. Someone finally said enough to get me to read the Eclipse Phase core rulebook, and now I'm mainlining it and wanting a game. nyahnyah.gif
DMiller
Time Zones scattered across the globe may make a game difficult. I've tried running an EP game, but I really don't think I can do the setting justice. I'm not good at intrigue, and that is really what EP is great for.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (DMiller @ Dec 9 2013, 08:48 PM) *
Time Zones scattered across the globe may make a game difficult. I've tried running an EP game, but I really don't think I can do the setting justice. I'm not good at intrigue, and that is really what EP is great for.

That can be a problem, aye. For instance, the Star Wars game I'm currently running begins at 10:30 AM my time to accommodate some players in Germany.
Sengir
Well, PbP games are ansynchronous by definition wink.gif
DMiller
I never really understood the draw of PbP (or how they are really supposed to work) in a PnP game. Our typical game session would easily translate to over 1,000 posts. It takes us usually 4 hours to play a session. In PbP that would be a month or more. Things would never get done. I think I'd rather not play if I was forced into a PbP environment. Video games would be preferable to PbP.
Tanegar
I like PbP. I stutter badly, and it's just easier for me to write than speak. I can go into more detail and generally be much more eloquent.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 15 2013, 09:03 PM) *
I like PbP. I stutter badly, and it's just easier for me to write than speak. I can go into more detail and generally be much more eloquent.

I prefer real-time text based games for similar reasons: IRC, Roll20 - in days gone by I'd use OpenRPG, but it's aching and creaky and aged now, and I never could make MapTools work for a good goddamn.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (DMiller @ Dec 15 2013, 07:34 PM) *
I never really understood the draw of PbP (or how they are really supposed to work) in a PnP game. Our typical game session would easily translate to over 1,000 posts. It takes us usually 4 hours to play a session. In PbP that would be a month or more. Things would never get done. I think I'd rather not play if I was forced into a PbP environment. Video games would be preferable to PbP.

From my (very limited) experience with PbP, it seems that direct back-and-forth conversations do take an achingly long time, but there's far more than ample time to do the sort of thing that's best done alone, or with only a GM. It helps if the GM can be a constant or near-constant lurker in an IRC channel, too; with that, then "solo time" stuff like the hacker doing legwork and other downtime stuff is easy to compile into a big-post.

That's where PbP truly shines - allowing players to big-post prose world- and character-building stuff, like a hugely long description of their doss (or, this being EP, their hab?) and their character (morph(s)?) etcetera. I imagine it would suck heartily in combat, though.
Ancient History
Meanwhile, on Farcast...15 days left!
Stahlseele
so, have an extinction level event planned as the last piece yet? ^^
Ancient History
Oh, did that ages ago: http://www.farcastblog.com/2013/04/103-forbidden-reach.html
Stahlseele
would have been a fitting end is all i'm saying ^^
Lindt
Seriously? I leave Dumpshock for 2 years and I miss an entire YEAR of the one and only AH doing a year of Eclipse Phase content? DAMMIT
Ancient History
Two weeks left. You haven't missed it yet. biggrin.gif
Tanegar
I'm slowly catching up. I love Piotr Benevich in the Blazespiders entry.
ShadowDragon8685
So, I ventured to the EP forums and asked around as regarded GMs looking for players. I've got a newb on the line (he hasn't yet read the corebook,) but who is interested in running an online game, and he asked me if I had anyone else who would be interested.

Here's the thread. His Skype is reporting him as being in Texas, and he professed a preference for play in the evenings, but other than that his schedule seems to be open.

And, against my better judgement, I'm putting this here, in writing, to my fellow Dumpshockers only for now: If we get a goodly-sized group assembled (5-6 players not including the GMm) and he flakes out, I'll step up to the plate and run the motherfragger.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 18 2013, 05:33 AM) *
I'm slowly catching up. I love Piotr Benevich in the Blazespiders entry.

You're the first person to get that one. biggrin.gif
Ancient History
And that's the year.

Thanks for reading! One of the Farcast readers is preparing a spiffy PDF with all the entries properly edited and formatted, but if you just can't wait, I've compiled together a quick & dirty Farcast Ashcan PDF for your enjoyment.
Links:
Scribd, Box.net, GoogleDocs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012