Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thought you might like this
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Savior
well I am still an avid D&D player and i am always searching for new adventures and Campaigns (please hold the slings and arrows) and during a Google Search i founds this little tidbit of fun.

God Help Us

Hope you find it as "soul saving" as i did ohplease.gif
Frag-o Delux
Covered about a billion times by everyone here. smile.gif
A Clockwork Lime
God bless Chick.
Kakkaraun
Next you're gonna tell me you've never seen Tubgirl or the Every Time You Masturbate... pic.
Shadow
That was a satire right?

Someone please tell me that was a satire and not what someone actually belives.

Anyone?
Ancient History
Ah, I forget how refreshing naivete is. Jack Chick is one of those particularly rabid adherents to the idea that anything outside his narrow area of religious interest is Evil. I betcha he can even pronounce the capital letter.

Say, that reminds me, anyone recall the dubunking of the "Roleplaying Expert" who thought all RPGs were inspired by the Devil and connected with cults?
Kakkaraun
There is a parody-thing very similar to these...religious tracts. It was put out as a REAL tract, at GenCon, a few years ago, by White Wolf. It was about the Terrible Evil of the new White Wolf game Demon: the Something Pretentious (smile.gif). Actually, it was posted here, way back then, and I mentioned that a.) the preacher in the game looked really slick/evil and "Satan-ey" and b.) the whole thing was written in a style remarkably similiar to certain WW artists'.

Really, though, that's damn good advertising.
locomotiveman
The MS3K version of that is much better. I have one good thing to say for chick tho, he hates Pencacola (sp) Bible Institute, but why i cant remember.
Ecclesiastes
QUOTE (Shadow @ Apr 29 2004, 09:20 PM)
That was a satire right?

Anyone?

Unfortunately it isn't. When I found Christ a lot of people at church said things to me about RPGs, but (thankfully) most of them were just wanting to know what it was all about.

Once I explained that its just a game they were rather open to the idea. I explained that it only really becomes a problem when someone takes it all too seriously, which can be said for just about anything (ie: it becomes an Idol).
TinkerGnome
It's worth noting that these things are really, really old and date back to the early days of roleplaying as a hobby. One time I saw a segment from the 700 Club during the 80's (I saw it much later, I believe) which was pure comedy gold. I couldn't help thinking, "Woah, where can I get a DMG bound in human skin? Mine's just got a crappy cardboard cover which is falling off."
Nikoli
LOL
Kagetenshi
Is it me, or does Debbie get saved by William Shatner?

Also, that last image of the bookburning is downright chilling.

~J
Mr. Man

If you think that's crazy, you should check out Chick's views on The Vatican. Now I know what you're thinking: "But Mr. Man, every fundie sect in the US is anti-catholic" The Jack Chick difference is that he takes it to previously unimagined heights of insanity. You may have seen all of his conspiracy theories separately, but I doubt you've ever run into someone who believed them all.
Say, that reminds me, anyone recall the dubunking of the "Roleplaying Expert" who thought all RPGs were inspired by the Devil and connected with cults?

That would be The Pulling Report by Michael Stackpole.
There is a parody-thing very similar to these...religious tracts. It was put out as a REAL tract, at GenCon, a few years ago, by White Wolf.

That would be this thread from the old forums.
The MS3K version of that is much better.

I agree.

Bonus Linkage: The Committee for the Advancement of Role-Playing Games. The archives of their YahooGroup are good reading if you're interested in RPG advocacy.
A Clockwork Lime
Here's a working link to the Demonic Deviltry parody White Wolf put out as advertising.
Lindt
Heh... Pulling. I got a heck of a laugh out of someone who, after asking why I hauled my butt all the way to Indianaplous last yead, said something along the lines of "But isnt that like, devil worship or something?" I send her that link among a few others, including Dumpshocks. A week later she had not only apoiligized, but was laughing about how stupid people are. God isnt the media great?
Now think, what would Pulling think if she took a glance at something like In Nomine, or walked in on a WW vampire larp...
LaughingTiger
Long ago, when I was a preacher, the seminary school I went to had all of Chick's comics in the dorms as reading a materail.

he's a complete and utter loon, and I used to be too. I'm glad I woke up.
Shadow
I consider myself very religious. I pray three or four times a day. I read scriptures every day. I go to church on sundays, I don't cuss, I don't drink, and I don't do drugs. I have been playing D&D and Shadowrun for a long time. I knew there were people who didn't like it, but I never had any idea they were this insane.

Please, do not blame religion for this, blame people. This guy Chic is as whacky as the people he says he's crusading against. Are there people who play D&D and commit crimes. Yes. Now, replace D&D with anything else you can think of and you will get the same answer. I pity these people I really do.
Kakkaraun
Hey Shadow, I'm the opposite of you in every way you mentioned wink.gif.

But, hey, here's the thing: I am blaming this on religion. It might be a misinterpretation of a religion, but if said religion didn't exist, nobody would be able to misinterpret it. The Crusades, witch-burning, and DnD-hatred...none of these would have happened without a certain religion. Not that I don't support everyone's right to /believe/ what they want, I'm just pointing out that this is caused by Christianity.
A Clockwork Lime
Yeah, because religion is the reason people don't like other people. It's not that religion was used as an excuse to hate, it's because religion forced people to hate.

Brilliant observation there.
Kakkaraun
For the third time: effective use of the Straw Man requires subtlety! I'm sure that once you figure that out, you could be a great politician, but...man, just work on the subtlety. At least make me WORK to figure out that you're trying to Straw Man somebody.
Shadow
Clock is being blatantly obvious because it is his brand of sarcasm. smile.gif

The thing is it isn't religion. If you took that away (and some countries have, Russia anyone) people will find something else, or someone else to kill in the name of.

Jesus preached peace. And while he has smitten some peoples in his time, it was for being so incredibly wicked and non repentant it is unimaginable. Anyone who hates, or kills in his name is wrong, flat out. They are using religion as a shield so that they feel better at night. People do it with the flag, religion, money, everything. Big business callously dismisses 30,000 jobs, in some cases extinguishing peoples livelihoods, because they can increase the profit margin %2. And what do they say? Nothing personal, just business. Like that makes it okay.

I am a huge supporter of freedom, of all kinds, so don't think I am trying to change your mind, I just want you to see that is not religion, but people.
Kakkaraun

You're missing your own point. Religion is just one more reason why people do horrid, awful things. In fact, it's one of the main reasons.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shadow @ Apr 30 2004, 10:57 PM)
Jesus

You mean Yeshua of Nazareth? wink.gif

Kudos to all people of true faith, but I'm somewhat cynical about most religious practitioners after having spent six years at a Catholic high school and knowing Christianity (the historical and philosophical parts, at least) better than nearly all of the "Christians" there. Same with the time I spent with the Christian group on the campus of my former college.

~J
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Kakkaraun)
Hey Shadow, I'm the opposite of you in every way you mentioned wink.gif.

Wait... this has been bothering me...

You pray negative three or negative four times a day?
Diesel
Maybe it's just to a negative God.

Shit, I could name a band that.

"Now, live, -God!"

*crowdyeah*

On a more serious note, religion isn't responsible for crazy people doing crazy things. If Jack Chick couldn't use God to denounce your DnD, he'd probably be using his particular brand of political affiliation. And so on. And if you tear down politics, religion, and any other organization that people can hate through and because of, now you've just got a bunch of angry, smelly people hitting each other.
I say let it be, it's fine, Christ has saved more people than he's wasted, I think he's a pretty good guy.

-D
Caine Hazen
no...everytime you masturbate you kill a kitten, which is like sacrificin and animal to the dark powers.....see that's all it means...

I need to get out more
Kakkaraun
Oh. Well, then I'm double-opposite.

biggrin.gif
shadd4d
QUOTE (Shadow @ Apr 30 2004, 06:20 AM)
That was a satire right?

Anyone?

One can only wish. My university distributed some of these to the students; one of the things one has to tolerate when going to Valparaiso University and with religiously affiliated schools in general.

In retrospect, I'm more than a little miffed that my tution dollars subsidized this action.

Don
Kakkaraun
Or, ya know, ANY school. We had an Earth Day celebration (guess what, there were hackey sacks...what a surprise wink.gif) at my campus on...well, Earth Day, and the "Intervarsity Christian Fellowship" turned it into a fucking Christ-Fest. Ugh. And they had this band playing (which was actually good, if you ignored the lyrics, which were, as is the case with almost any Christian band, the same as any pop song, with "baby" changed to "Jesus"), which was audible ALL THE WAY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FREAKIN' CAMPUS. Thanks!

Sorry. Needed to vent about that, I guess.
Panzergeist
Wow, I knew the Catholic church was evil, but I didn't realize they were Satanists! You know what this means? We must guard our childrens souls as well as their anuses!
Fresno Bob
I'm ok with religious people, as long as they're not the kind who wear religious t-shirts, and manage to work God into daily conversation. I mean, I like the Clash a lot, but I'm not talking about them every day.
Fygg Nuuton
roleplaying leads to being on the drugs, which leads to homosexuality, which leads to satanism, which leads to abortion, which leads to PBS.

honestly people, stop smoking your drugs and roleplaying demon worshippers
MooCow
I'm just pointing out that this is caused by Christianity.

This has got to be one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard in my life.

Saying Christianity is to blame for the Crusades is like saying that D&D is responsible for that kid going into the steam tunnels. Or those kids who killed their parents because they thought they were vampires.

Those individuals were wacked, and the fact that they used a RPG as an excuse to do something crazy doesn't mean the RPG is to blame.
Nikoli
As far as I know greed caused the Crusades, not Christianity.
The Knights of St. John convinced the King of Israel that a nearby town had a treasure that was rightfully his, and for a 'nominal' contribution to their coffers they would assist him in recovering it.
Now, up until this violation of treaty, the Jewish, Christian and Muslim people lived in peace in Jerusalem. Everyone had representation before the king.
The Hospitalers(Knights of St. John, known today as the Vatican Army) were defeated ans as punishment of the treaty, the Muslim Sheik that was attacked invaded Jerusalem and conquered it. The Templars were able to get the King out and many innocent people, but they lost a great deal of their forces and lost the Grand Temple in the process.

Of course this is all paraphrased from the History of the Templars, so it may or may not be biased against the Knights of St. John.
MooCow
As far as I know greed caused the Crusades, not Christianity.

Hmmmm.... I'd always heard it going a bit higher up the chain. The Pope convinced all the knights to head off and kill things in the holy lands because they were acuqiring too much secular power. With all the Kings and Knights out of the way, The Church could make some land and power grabs.

Or something like that.

Anyways, you're still right that it's Greed. Christianity was just the window dressing.
Nikoli
Well, the Pope at the time didn't care for the Muslims controlling Jerusalem and killing Christians, so he convinced Richard the Lionhearted to get it back for him. Or so the story goes.
Aristotle
*sigh*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012