Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rate this PQ
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Strong Will: 4 karma
Through abnormally strong will or strict training you have developed a resistance to mental attacks. You gain +2 dice to resist Mana Illusions and Mental Manipulations, and +2 dice on psychological addiction checks.
Dolanar
for the number of benefits I'd increase the cost a small amount.
thorya
You might want a different name to avoid confusion with the Willpower attribute.

Maybe, Unbending or Resolution or Iron Minded or Mental Defense. Though it's probably not a big deal.

If this was available, I would probably take this on every character which to me says, maybe too powerful. Though somethings you'll need to clarify are: Does this apply to spirit powers? Does this add dice to psychological torture/brain washing?
Jack VII
Has anyone made an attempt to deciper PQ and NQ pricing? I have no clue if the devs just pulled it out of the air or said +2 Dice is a minimum cost of X.

Considering the number of Psychological or Psychological & Physiological Drugs, that feels like a 7 or 8 karma power at chargen. I mean, it would be money for a drug-using combat monster.
ShadowDragon8685
FD's OP said psychological addiction, not chemical addiction.

So it would help you resist, say, simsense addiction, astral projection addiction, etcetera, but not Kamikaze Addiction.

I'd say that you should leave off the addiction resistance and add dice to resisting being mentally influenced normally - things like seduction, intimidation, fast-talking, etcetera.
Jack VII
I also feel like turning this into an ongoing thread. Here's mine:

MagiTech Harmony (4 or 12)

Due to their close work in both the fields of magic and technology, the character has learned to overcome some of the inherent barriers between the two.

4 Points: Divide the penalty for using magical spells in the Health category on low Essence targets by half.
12 Points: As above, but also reduce by one the Object Resistance category of a given object, to a minimum of "Natural Objects"
Jack VII
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 19 2013, 03:57 PM) *
FD's OP said psychological addiction, not chemical addiction.

So it would help you resist, say, simsense addiction, astral projection addiction, etcetera, but not Kamikaze Addiction.

I'd say that you should leave off the addiction resistance and add dice to resisting being mentally influenced normally - things like seduction, intimidation, fast-talking, etcetera.

Drug addictions are defined as Physiological or Psychological. Kamikaze is one of the only Physiological Only Drugs. Almost all of the others are Psycholigcal if not both. If it isn't intended to affect checmical drugs that cause Psychological addictions, a lot more clarifying text is required.
FuelDrop
Based on the feedback I've recieved:

Resolute: 8 karma
Through abnormally strong will or strict training you have developed a resistance to mental influences. You gain +2 dice to resist Mana Illusions and Mental Manipulations, and +2 dice on opposed checks to resist Con. Finally, you gain +2 dice to Logic+Willpower tests to resist critter powers.
Jack VII
Looks good. Even though it is fluff, I would change "mental attacks" to "mental influence" so it better covers Con.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 20 2013, 06:26 AM) *
Looks good. Even though it is fluff, I would change "mental attacks" to "mental influence" so it better covers Con.

Done. smile.gif
Dolanar
Much better cost:benefit ratio
Shemhazai
At this price, starting characters won't be able to get it at chargen along with rating 3 Magic Resistance. (6 + 6 + 6 + 8 = 26)

Would this be available for awakened characters? Then it could stack with Counterspelling, Shielding, and the Spell Resistance adept power.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Sep 21 2013, 07:29 AM) *
Would this be available for awakened characters? Then it could stack with Counterspelling, Shielding, and the Spell Resistance adept power.

I don't see any reason why awakened characters would be unable to train themselves to resist mind control, though since they have more options for defending against all magic it's probably a bit too focused to compete against the more general defenses.

16 karma isn't that much, just pick it up during play.
Slithery D
32 karma during play is a lot.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Sep 21 2013, 09:01 AM) *
32 karma during play is a lot.

but it's 16 karma during play, not 32.
Dolanar
8 during creation, 16 during play
Jack VII
Or take this one instead of Magic Resistance 3 and pick that one up during play for 12 (Based on the example given)
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 21 2013, 09:46 AM) *
Or take this one instead of Magic Resistance 3 and pick that one up during play for 12 (Based on the example given)

12 per point of rating, ie 36 for rating 3.
Jack VII
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 20 2013, 08:48 PM) *
12 per point of rating, ie 36 for rating 3.

You would have already picked up 1 & 2. Based on this premise:

At this price, starting characters won't be able to get it at chargen along with rating 3 Magic Resistance. (6 + 6 + 6 + 8 = 26)
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 21 2013, 09:50 AM) *
You would have already picked up 1 & 2. Based on this premise:

Ok. now the math makes sense.
Jack VII
Sorry, I wasn't clear.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 21 2013, 09:55 AM) *
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

no harm done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012