Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancer Resonance Loss
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Godwyn
The exact phrase I am looking at is on p. 250 of the 5th edition rulebook. "Whenever you lose Essence (after character generation), you lose an equal amount of Resonance, rounded up." This is the section that the rules on p. 95 refer you to about how Essence loss may affect you if you are awakened/resonant.

While probably in the errata thread, I can't help but feel this is a potentially good mistake (or well done if the writer did it on purpose, congrats I approve). Many feel Technos lack a certain oomph; would allowing them to cyber up in character gen without a Resonance hit help ameliorate the problems?

To me, I see this as a useful balance trade against magicians not losing magic at magic 0, only max magic of 0, whereas technos lose it all at resonance 0.

Starting with a cerebral booster would be quite nice, and provide that extra boost for a lot of matrix activities. Starting as a human, instead of an elf, allows a techno to have an 8 logic out the gate, with used cerebral booster R2. Then add some used plastic bone lacing for a total investiture of 1.125 Essence, and 53.25 nuyen. The bone lacing can be removed later, it was just the cheapest way to hit past 1 essence that I saw. This gives a potential 1.5 essence hole to install useful things in, including of course, the cerebral booster 3. Perhaps Synaptic booster R1 at some point, to save on a submersion for the 5d6 matrix initiative.

Another option is for an implanted control rig to start, allowing a technomancer rigger from chargen. Which, if they want the submersion for it, can then be removed providing a decent essence hole on its own.
DeathStrobe
I think you've read that wrong.
p250
Your natural Resonance maximum is your Essence rounded down.

So if you get a data jack, .1 essense, your natural max is now 5, since your essence is 5.9 which round downs to 5. The next lie of

Whenever you lose Essence (after char- acter generation), you lose an equal amount of Resonance, rounded up.

means that when you lose essence, that loss rounds up, not that your resonance rounds up.
Godwyn
Yes, but only if your Resonance is equal to your essence. If it is say, a 4, then your Resonance is not affected by the Essence cap until it drops below 4.

Yes, if you start off with 6 Resonance, then taking cyber is an automatic hit. It is not the rounding that is the issue, it is whether or not you lose Resonance per Essence hit. If your actual Resonance is equal to or lower than your Essence cap, the wording in the book implies you are fine.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Oct 18 2013, 01:42 AM) *
Yes, but only if your Resonance is equal to your essence. If it is say, a 4, then your Resonance is not affected by the Essence cap until it drops below 4.

Yes, if you start off with 6 Resonance, then taking cyber is an automatic hit. It is not the rounding that is the issue, it is whether or not you lose Resonance per Essence hit. If your actual Resonance is equal to or lower than your Essence cap, the wording in the book implies you are fine.

On page 94/95 'Cyberware and Bioware' in the Creating a Shadowrunner chapter, it says that any loss of essence results in a loss in magic and resonance, and gives an example. Seems it's the same as it always was. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012