Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Move-By-Wire 4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Arethusa
Why?

It's so expensive that no one will ever take it. You have to install it as at least alphaware, and it's not even really acceptable until you hit delta. And even then, its effects are easy to achieve with combinations of other ware that don't cost 16 million nuyen and chew through your body. So why does it exist? Even if you have the 16 million to burn, you can outfit 10 or 12 soldiers with the same capability, if not better. It doesn't really do anything that other stuff doesn't already do for far cheaper.
shadd4d
I think it was just a cool idea and useful for those making cyberzombies. True, you can get the increases with a combination of bioware and cyberware, but I think it is useful to give to higher up threats.

I've never actually seen a player take one, I think it's what the designers thought was a good idea at the time.

Don
Zazen
I don't know of anything that mimics the extra-action bonus of MBW4. In addition to its sheer numerical bonuses, it really is the ultimate in speed.
A Clockwork Lime
It's there for cyberzombies and not much else.

With Reaction +8, Initiative +4D6, Quickness +4, and Athletics/Stealth +4, such a cyberzombie *will* be going first unless dealing with an adept with Quick Strike. They're less likely to be surprised and more likely to surprise, too. The fact that they gain an extra action in addition to all of that is an extra perk.

And since it is designed almost exclusively for cyberzombies, the fact that they'll have it as deltagrade means it only takes up 3.5 Essence. That's just slightly more than Wired Reflexes 2 with a Reflex Trigger. That leaves a *lot* of room for other deltagrade implants, so not only will they be mindboggelling fast, but loaded to bear, too.
Arethusa
The extra action is really the only thing you can't practically achieve for far cheaper through other equipment. Even if I had a cyberzombie, I'd be packing him full of far more efficient and effective ware. I'm having trouble seeing its use as anything remotely practical, even if I want an impractical zombie killing machine.
Zazen
The extra-action bonus is two extra actions, really.

And it's just there to be cool.
Arethusa
Cool, maybe, but I'm having trouble rationalizing its existence as anything but a pure prototype system. Down and out runner to corp special warfare project, I can't see anyone who would view this as viable.
Zazen
'bout as viable as a metal tail or an eyeball gun. It's just there so the runners can feel cool when they beat someone with it.
Arethusa
Except that the amounts of money involved in eyeguns and tails are small enough that someone could concievably buy one for a specific use or make a bad decision. When you're shoving 16 million nuyen into a single human being who will be handling high risk situations, you don't get to make a bad decision with that money.
Abstruse
No one reads flavor text, do they? MBW is smooth as silk in motion. WR tend to be jumpy and jerky, while adept IR tend to just move in starts and fits, MBW is totally smooth and graceful. It's like the difference between watching a UFC match and a fight from CTHD. One is effective but not very pretty, the other is just as if not more effective and also beautiful to watch. Poetry in motion as it were.

From a pure number-crunching standpoint, sure you can get almost all the bonuses with other stuff. But why and at what cost? Will you be looking like a walking trash compactor with all the metal sticking out of you? You can't even tell someone has a MBW system by sight alone.

Oh, plus you can pump the MBW up with Synaptic Accellerator bioware to push it up to Rea + 6d6 Init, which is the highest you can get with any combination I believe.

The Abstruse One
Arethusa
I thought Synaptic Accelerator was incompatible? If it's compatible, I could concievably get Reaction + 9d6 with SA2, MBW4, and BR3, which is fairly nice. I don't believe it's supposed to be possible, however.

In any case, the smooth movement is supposed to be disturbingly, inhumanly smooth. Regardless, there's little use for it when what you need is combat effectiveness. In any case, worth pointing out that as pretty and well choreographed as Crouching Tiger was, none of it was remotely effective in a real life situation, and I'm not even counting the absolutely impossible stuff.
Herald of Verjigorm
M&M 30, top paragraph on the right:
This system is not compatible with any other Reaction- or Initiative-enhancing cyber- or bioware.

Arethusa
Well, that seals it. Amusingly, if you take a physad, give him delta MBW4 and Enhanced Reflexes 1 (all he can afford), you get an assounting Reaction + 5d6. Woo.

[edit]

Well, maybe not.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Zazen)

Hey, that could be at least four bullets. Don't discount four bullets.
Herald of Verjigorm
SR3 page 169
...and the increase cannot be combined with technological or other magical increases to Reaction or initiative.
Zazen
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (Zazen)

Hey, that could be at least four bullets. Don't discount four bullets.

I ain't discounting it. I think it's awesome.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Why?

Look at me! Look at me! I'm faster than God, look at me!
Lilt
People with this system will still be 'twitchy' in the sense that they react to stuff before they think about it. They'll just react really smoothly.

Why make the MBW system?
Because it's the drek!

Why install a 16 million nuyen piece of gear into one person?
Because it makes it far less likely that the other 32 million nuyen you spent on the fragger will be damaged!

Why bother when you can just use Bio+Cyber for the same bonus?
Because IIRC Bio+CZs don't mix that well.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Zazen)

Oh, well the way you said it made it sound kind of like "Well, its just two actions..."

Eh.
Abstruse
Crap, sorry. That was 2nd Ed Cybertechnology you could cram a synaptic accellerator in there too, but only at level 1 and only if you paid extra or something. Enhanced Artwinkulation doesn't say it's not incompatable with the MBW though...

The Abstruse One
shadd4d
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ May 1 2004, 08:40 PM)
M&M 30, top paragraph on the right:
This system is not compatible with any other Reaction- or Initiative-enhancing cyber- or bioware.

It's still impatable. It just becomes debatable whether 1) you can still get it installed. If so, then it will only boost skills and the boost is incompatable with the bonuses from the MBW.

Don
A Clockwork Lime
When Shadowrun says "not compatible," it generally means "use whichever one gives the most benefit; they don't 'stack'."
Zazen
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (Zazen)

Oh, well the way you said it made it sound kind of like "Well, its just two actions..."

Nah, I saw two posts that mentioned an "extra action" and I wanted to correct them. I see the confusion, though.

I think MBW4 is cool mainly for the flavor. Some dude investing millions of dollars to short-circuit his brain and drain his soul almost dry is what Shadowrun is all about.
Shadow
Why not? Would be a better question smile.gif

It's cool
It gives sammies something to dream about. "One day I could be that fast".

It insures that no matter how fast your PC's get you can allways bring out the MBW4 CZ.

Did I mention that it is cool? Unlike the eye gun which is stupid IMHO.
A Clockwork Lime
Well, it's cool except for the minor having-to-have-your-brain-cut-out part.
L.D
That's only uncool if you have a brain to start with. wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
Init 41 MBW-4 d00d (MBW) vs Init 43 Wired-3+RE-6 d00d (WRE):
43-WRE
41-MBW
41-MBW
33-WRE
31-MBW
31-MBW
23-WRE
21-MBW
13-WRE
11-MBW
3-WRE
1-MBW

The extra actions are worth it, if you've got craploads of nuyen to spend. In the time most people act 2 times, the MBW-guy acts 4.
Tziluthi
Unfortunately it all falls to pieces when you're shot in the head by the adept uber-sniper with the Barret 121.

GM: "Suddenly, everything turns black. A second later, you hear the suppressed crack of a f**k-off huge sniper's rifle."
A Clockwork Lime
Not at all.

Any combat-oriented cyberzombie worth his gold is going to have a Guardian Angel Nano-Biomonitor at the very least, and most likely a Trauma Damper and Damage Compensators. With a high-end Body score, that combo will knock down most Deadly wounds to a Moderate or even Light wound. Once that happens, the cyberzombie simply dives for cover and then the jig's up.

Assuming the combat was taking place outdoors and/orin the open to begin with.
toturi
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Not at all.

Any combat-oriented cyberzombie worth his gold is going to have a Guardian Angel Nano-Biomonitor at the very least, and most likely a Trauma Damper and Damage Compensators. With a high-end Body score, that combo will knock down most Deadly wounds to a Moderate or even Light wound. Once that happens, the cyberzombie simply dives for cover and then the jig's up.

Assuming the combat was taking place outdoors and/orin the open to begin with.

Damage resistance using Body is done before the Trauma Dampener and other cyber/bio goodies kick in, at best it is a Serious or a bad Moderate.
A Clockwork Lime
I'm aware of that, which is why I specified Wounds not Damage. Body comes into play with the Nano-Biomonitor and Healing Tests.

Trauma Damper automatically drops a Deadly wound to a Serious wound (9 boxes).
Nano-Biomonitor kicks in, rolling 6 dice against a TN of 6 (lowered by a high Body score).
Single success drops it to Moderate (3 boxes).
Damage Compensators 3 allows him to ignore the effects.

Note a complete and total lack of any mention of "Damage Resistance Tests."
RedmondLarry
Let me relate the first player interactions when a table I was GMing encountered MBW:

FX: "Damn, that new guy is quick."
Mo: "Gosh, see how smooth he moves!"
FX: "Frag if he doesn't have MBW!"
Mo: "Gosh, that must be worth millions."
(Both pull weapons and hang back until the MBW guy slaughters the opposition, taking a moderate wound in the process.)
FX: Puts two bursts into the MBW guy.
Mo: Puts an autofire-burst into the MBW guy.
FX and Mo: "Oh man, this is great. All this money to split between us."
(Both characters look at each other.)
FX (reacting faster): Puts two bursts into Mo.

FX to Street Doc: "Doc, can you take some cyberware out of this body? I think it's worth something on the used market.
Doc: Sure, I'll examine the body and tell you what it'd cost.
(Doc leaves)

(Nurse enters 2 minutes later)
Nurse: Here's a soft drink and some cookies while you wait.
FX: Thanks.
(Everything turns black as FX passes out.)

Next time we visited the Doc, he had a bunch of new equipment.
Arethusa
Worth pointing out that a lot of this doesn't hold up when you start factoring in Over Deadly, which most snipers should be dealing out on a regular basis.
A Clockwork Lime
Assuming it's being used. It is an optional rule, not a core one.
booklord
The way I've always played it is that move-by-wire doesn't have the same problem with "reacting before thinking to sudden events" problems that Wired Reflexes has. After all move-by-wire users are described as unnaturally smooth in their movements. This makes it the perfect reflex system for cyber-zombies who aren't known to be quick thinkers anyway.

Given a character with 6 base reaction.

Move by Wire 4 -> 14 + 5d6 -> 31.5 ( with 2 extra actions) -> 6 actions
Wired Reflex 3 + Reac Enhancer 6 -> 18 + 4d6 -> 32 -> 4 actions
Boosted Reflex 3 + Synaptic Acc 2 + Reac Enhancer 6 -> 14 + 5d6 -> 31.5 -> 4 actions

So a maxed out reaction characters are pretty close in average reaction. Of course the wired or boosted character could possibly give themselves a greater edge using the Super-thyroid gland and Adrenaline pump but the line has to be drawn somewhere. The edge has to go then to the move by wire character who benefits from the the 2 extra actions.

Is it worth the drawbacks? Not really.
Is a character likely to get the resources to get this implanted? Not unless he gave a certain jewel to a certain megacorp owning dragon.
Does it make for some truly scary NPCs? You betcha.

-------------------

By the way.....

I'd say that a beta-grade or delta-grade high level move-by-wire system would be
worth very little on the streets.

We're talking about one of the most dangerous cybernetic enhancements when its implanted by highly trained professionals working in state of the art corporate cyber clinics. It'd be suicide to have it implanted second hand by a street doc. He wouldn't even begin to have the skills or resources to implant such a cybernetic device. The people who could implant such a device probably are too high up the food chain to consider working with second hand merchandise anyway. It's only value might be in selling it to a second tier cyberware corporation so they can study it. And you'd need some mighty good contacts to pull that off.
Arethusa
That's using optional liberally. Yeah, it's not core, but the game is just so much sillier and so much more broken without it.
toturi
It is a core rule. There is no OPTIONAL tagged to the Deadlier over Damage rules in my Book.
A Clockwork Lime
Oh good grief.

<just bangs his head repeatedly on the desk>
Arethusa
Oh, cowboy the fuck up already. This childish bullshit has got to go.
toturi
If it was an optional rule, they would specify that it was just like all the other Optionals they have. But they didn't.
RedmondLarry
Sheesh. By canon, Deadlier Over-Damage is not a standard damage rule. Gamemasters can apply the Deadlier Over-Damage rule if they find problems with the standard damage rules. A second form of the rule is also presented, which makes for an even deadlier game. SR3.126

<Bangs head against file cabinet, in time to the thumps coming from Lime's desk.>
toturi
Read it very carefully, not one time is "optional" mentioned in that entire paragraph. Yes, by Canon it is not a standard rule, but it is not an optional rule either.
Kakkaraun
It's an optional rule the way tackling is an optional rule in football. That is to say, idiotic children are the only people who play without it, and the game just ISN'T FRIGGIN RIGHT without it.
Modesitt
Toturi,

QUOTE ("126 BBB")

Deadlier Over-Damage
Ideally, the standard damage rules prevent characters from certain death as a result of single, unexpected attacks and thus improve game play.  However, the standard rules also can create some ridiculous situations.  For example, troll charactesr have such high Body Attributes that they can theoretically survive for a very long time even after taking a shot from a Panther assault cannon square in the head!  To remedy this problem, game masters can apply the Deadlier Over-Damage rule

The bolding is all me. I want you to carefully look at that. Here's how I'm seeing that paragraph.

1. There are standard damage rules.
2. The standard damage rules can result in ridiculous situations.
3. Since many people dislike these situations, they've given you a potential solution right after they describe the standard rules.
4. The Deadlier Over-Damage rule is NOT assumed to always be in use.

They list exactly WHY this solution is not the normal rules. It's to help protect characters from dying from a single lucky shot at the hands of an NPC. I don't know about you, but having characters die because of just one bad roll kind of irritates me. It irritates a lot of people. So they designed the rules in such a way that you can't die in one shot until naval-scale shit starts to get involved. This results in some really ridiculous situations sometimes, but this realism fudging results in improved gameplay for most people over ultra-lethal rules.

Similarily, the reason they don't have the encumbrance rules be the assumed rules is that they suck ass at determining weights, so you aren't actually required to deal with them unless the players are being dumbfucks and doing shit like carrying a couple thousand rounds of HMG ammo with their strength 3 human.
A Clockwork Lime
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Oh, cowboy the fuck up already. This childish bullshit has got to go.

Once people around here learn to comprehend what they read, I might just do that.
Kakkaraun
Someone should heed his own advice.

(Just for yoo: sum won shood heed his own advice.)
Arethusa
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime @ May 2 2004, 01:36 AM)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ May 1 2004, 11:20 PM)
Oh, cowboy the fuck up already.  This childish bullshit has got to go.

Once people around here learn to comprehend what they read, I might just do that.

Look.

Was toturi being some what anal retentive with the wording? Yes. To nitpick over the absolutely specific use of the word optional was a fair bit unnecessary.

Was your little tantrum even remotely called for? No. Display some fucking self control. Your infantile and thoroughly pretentious paroxysms of frustration at even the slightest semblance of provocation are becoming deeply obnoxious and very, very grating. If you cannot concieve of a way to express yourself without being an eminent jackass, consult Modesitt's infinitely more mature approach to the situation. This kind of behavior is absolutely unnecessary.

And, Kakkaraun, just stop. Please.
A Clockwork Lime
I've pointed things out rationally to individuals like toturi and Kakkaraun several times in the past, especially regarding plain English things like this. It's a pointless endeavor. If my frustration annoys you, I apologize. But blatant ignorance like that annoys me every bit as much.
Kakkaraun
But the fun part is when it turns out that you're obviously entirely wrong and you try to run from it! Now, in this case, you're clearly right. But that doesn't excuse your puerility.

Oh, and Arethusa: why does he get a whole eloquent paragraph and I get stuck with one meager, simple sentence? I feel left out frown.gif.
Moonstone Spider
Here's a thought:

Since the Cyberzombie gets the extra action, he can, in FA mode, fire 12 bursts using 2 weapons before anybody else gets an action.

That means if you equip the 12 other guys who can be rigged for the same amount of money using other reaction ehancing cyberware, the Cyberzombie can quite possibly kill every last one of them before any of them gets a shot off. Granted it's a bit unlikely given the modifiers the CZ will have, but still possible. Makes the 12 Wired guys seem obsolete when you think about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012