Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Awakening After Chargen
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
grid.samurai
What are the rules with awakening post-chargen (through a game event)? I have a player who is going through an unusual event that could lead to an awakening within him, however he is cybered with 5 points of Essence loss. Is this covered in any 4th edition books?
tasti man LH
There's a whole shiny quality associated with it called "Latent Awakening" in Street Magic p.25.

Basically, in the case of your guy, because of his Essence Loss, this would reduce maximum Magic attribute that he would start out with. In this case, his max would only be a measly Magic 1.

At that point, the only way he would be able to bump up his maximum would be through Initiation. And even then, you still have to pay separately in karma to raise their Magic attribute.
grid.samurai
Perfect. Thanks for the reference.
lordpessimism
I recall there being a gene therapy (in Augmentation I think, but my copy is on loan so I can't check) that would allow you to raise your essence if you had an essence hole. It isn't cheap or fast, and you need to uninstall some cyberware before starting treatment, but it is another option.
tasti man LH
Correct, the Revitalization therapy.

Revitalization (Augmentation p.88-89)
Revitalization is a recent breakthrough that repairs Essence loss derived from invasive implantation. Universal Omnitech is trying to keep the mechanism a secret, though geneticists have speculated that the effect is achieved by performing some kind of “genetic feng shui.” The theory is that scientists realign qi from
astral shadows by genetically remodeling DNA to repair damage to the aura or balance to the body’s systems, and thus the patient
regains Essence.
In game terms, revitalization regenerates the Essence “hole” left by the removal of an implant from the body. Revitalization is slow and Essence is restored by recurring gene therapy sessions ata rate of 0.1 Essence per month. Though Essence points lost to implantation, Energy Drain, and addiction may be restored through gene therapy, Magic/Resonance points lost are never returned and reductions to the maximum Magic/Resonance attribute remain in effect.
Revitalization can be performed without permanent hospitalization during the treatment time. Characters have to spend at least 7 days per month in the clinic to continue the treatment. If the character has not attended the clinic for two months the treatment stops and has to be started anew (including the starting costs) to continue the effect. Note that this treatment cannot be attempted if the implant is still present.

...all of it at the low, low price of 75,000 nuyen with an additional 20,000 nuyen per month!

So yeah; make it your runner's long term goal, or their major investment when they retire.
Glyph
Note the "reductions to the maximum Magic/Resonance attribute remain in effect." part. It is a useful procedure, but doesn't help awakened characters.
Jaid
QUOTE (Glyph @ Oct 21 2013, 11:26 PM) *
Note the "reductions to the maximum Magic/Resonance attribute remain in effect." part. It is a useful procedure, but doesn't help awakened characters.

oddly enough, it *would* help a latent awakening, provided you get the treatment before you awaken.

of course, planning that out so perfectly is not exactly easy nyahnyah.gif
tasti man LH
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 21 2013, 10:52 PM) *
oddly enough, it *would* help a latent awakening, provided you get the treatment before you awaken.

of course, planning that out so perfectly is not exactly easy nyahnyah.gif

And if your GM is dick-ish enough, they probably won't let you plan that in the first place.

(I certainly wouldn't biggrin.gif )
Glyph
I would let the player "plan it out" without any dickery from me - why bother, when the player is screwing himself over so badly? Think about it, you are paying to start out with cyberware, then paying to get it removed, then paying to get an Essence-restoring treatment, all so that, well into the campaign, you have a guy with no cyberware and a Magic of 1 - but hey, you can improve it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012