Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixer Ratings in SR5
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
entropysoda
A couple of people in my group think Fixers NEED to have a minimum connection rating of 4. This is based on the table on p.387.

I pointed out a number of the archetypes(p.118,119,125,126) PLUS two examples on p.99 have Fixers of rating 3 connection or less. So it doesn't seem like any minimum level of connection is REQUIRED when taking a Fixer contact. What do u guys think?

This also brings up the greater question: Is there EVER a minimum connection rating REQUIRED (by SR5 book rules) to take a specific contact?
Koekepan
A minimum makes no sense. It all depends on what the fixer is good for.

State-of-the-art full brain replacement with latent magic? High rating.

Three minutes of strolling around the park with a cute girl who doesn't care about you? Rating ... 1. Or 0.5. Whatever.
Umidori
Like so many other things, it's up to the GM - which in theory shouldn't be a problem if you have a reasonable GM, but the persistant lack of good guidelines in the SR rulebooks makes even reasonable GMs susceptible to having wildly different interpretations compared to your own.

~Umi
tasti man LH
Well, one potential storyline for PCs and their fixers: maybe the fixer is an up-and-coming fixer who doesn't quite have a lot of influence yet. With some goodwill and some good runs, maybe its the job of the PC runners to try to bolster the fixer's rep, and thus boost their Connection rating.
NeVeRLiFt
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Oct 26 2013, 03:39 AM) *
Well, one potential storyline for PCs and their fixers: maybe the fixer is an up-and-coming fixer who doesn't quite have a lot of influence yet. With some goodwill and some good runs, maybe its the job of the PC runners to try to bolster the fixer's rep, and thus boost their Connection rating.

This only works depending how often you play and how fast the campaign moves and if the GM plays it out.

I think it's best to go with a higher connection starting out as it's less hassle and pays off when getting gear or better paying runs.
But it also depends on your character and if it fits with the background and what you're going for with said character and how the GM has their campaign planned.
Mantis
The table on pg 387 of SR5 gives some examples of who would have what Connection rating. I agree with the people in your group, entropysoda, that some contacts need a minimum connection rating. The reason is the very low connection ratings aren't useful for much beyond their knowledge skills. They don't hold much or any influence and therefore won't be useful to get you gear or find you jobs. A fixer needs to know people first and foremost and how to get things. He also needs his rep for getting things and knowing the right people to be known among people who will be hiring. He can't really do his thing if his connection is a 1.
In 4th edition the connection rating runs from 1-6 with a street level fence or fixer clocking in at connection 3 and the more skilled/experienced fixers running up from there.
Ask yourself does it make sense that a fixer is as poorly connected as the introvert who never comes out of his house (connection 1)? It really is in your best interest to have well connected fixers as one thing it does is helps ensure the Johnson won't screw you over since the idea is the fixer has already done his due diligence and checked him out before hand to make sure the job and Johnson are legit. He ends up on the hook for screw ups for jobs he arranges.
Nath
So the short answer is simply "Yes, albeit a bad fixer."
shonen_mask

Has anyone ever played in an environment with more than one character to themselves?

Maybe one main, one specialized character to handle certain situations? A contact more or less.....
cryptoknight
Oh I don't know... think about it this way.

"Hey Jimmy, you used to be able to score us some drugs back in the day, you're our fixer"

Jimmy has a connection rating of 2.

I could see this as something that starts as a street level game and grows into globe trotting shadowrunners, with Jimmy the fixer growing along with the party.

Starting

"Hey guys, this is my friend bob, and he's getting roughed up by some biker punks"

A year in. Jimmy has grown his connection rating to 3

"Hey guys, I just got contacted by a member of the mob, his daughter is missing and he needs us to find her"

5 years in... Jimmy has grown his connection rating to 4/5

"Hey guys, I think I just got contacted by an agent of Lofwyr's looking to hire you all to get this magical artifact"

6 years in... Jimmy has capped his connection rating at 6

"So ummm yah... if we make this move, we'll own a 10% stake in Ares"
noonesshowmonkey
I'm wondering how many tests a Connection rating really even gets used in.

I know that Connection rating is added to tests against gear availability... But is there really much else?

In other words, does it really matter?
tasti man LH
QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey @ Oct 29 2013, 07:36 PM) *

I know that Connection rating is added to tests against gear availability... But is there really much else?

Well...a bit more then just that, really.

Connection is used in the DP for having a contact "ask around" for information if they specifically don't have the info the runners are looking for. Then there's how the contact gets a DP bonus based on their Connection rating in Swag tests and Networking tests.

So yeah...it does pay to have friends in high places.
toturi
Does connection still applies to determine if you are able to contact your Contact?
tasti man LH
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 29 2013, 10:02 PM) *
Does connection still applies to determine if you are able to contact your Contact?

It does in an optional rule. The GM rolls 2d6, and if the result equals or exceeds the target contact's Connection rating, then you've successfully got a hold of your Contact.

The book also says that it's still up to the GM if a contact is or isn't available for story purposes.
Godwyn
QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey @ Oct 30 2013, 03:36 AM) *

Having just had to acquire some high end cyberware in a campaign, do not doubt the usefulness of connection rating adding to the contacts rolls for gear. Once you start looking for availability 20+, extra dice help a lot if you don't want to have to pay out the nose, and cyber is expensive to begin with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012