Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
tasti man LH
I own the Intro Box Set, but unfortunately have not gotten around to actually playing the darn thing. That said, when I read through the rules and mechanics, I was very impressed with what I saw. And after doing test rolls with the dice, the dice mechanics are definitely the most simple and intuitive that I've seen, but thankfully not to the point of feeling "dumbed down" (seriously, it makes D&D and SR look like trying to study quantum physics in comparison). Also, the idea of splitting the rulebook into three based on the different core aspects of the Star Wars universe (Edge being for "street level" characters, Age of Rebellion for military/Rebel Alliance campaigns, and Force and Destiny for Jedi) is an interesting one, (not to mention in a way, it solves the "All Jedi or No Jedi" problem).

So for those that have played it, what do you think?

Also, how do you think it stacks up in comparison to the West End and WotC versions?
CanRay
I miss Star Wars D6. frown.gif
toturi
I am not sure what is meant by the All Jedi or No Jedi problem. For the SAGA version, there was the Either Jedi or Droid problem. Force powers in SAGA were impressive enough and Force Sensitivity accessible enough that many characters were Force Sensitive. The only non-Force Sensitives in the group were droids.

Going by just Edge of Empire and Age of Rebellion Beta, I think that the new Star Wars RPG might end up with the same problem. Except this time, it is droids that seem to be the most optimal "race" and you'd choose another race because you'd want to be Force Sensitive. Perhaps final Age of Rebellion or Force and Destiny may change things, but given the direction shown in the first 2 books, I doubt it.
Bigity
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 27 2013, 01:53 PM) *

You and me both brother. I cut my RPG teeth on that game and still think I'd pick it to play over any other game out there, including SR.
Tanegar
You know, I don't think I've ever seen anyone say anything bad about Star Wars D6. Are the books still available? In PDF form, perhaps?
CanRay
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Oct 28 2013, 09:31 AM) *
You know, I don't think I've ever seen anyone say anything bad about Star Wars D6. Are the books still available? In PDF form, perhaps?
No, West End Games lost the license when a shoe store went bankrupt (long story), and it's jumped hands a few times. WEG, even if it were still around in its original form, can't sell these books any longer.

It is a real pity. frown.gif
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 27 2013, 02:53 PM) *

I have most of the core books from the West End games version. Some of the factoids (like star destroyer standard ship compliments) were cool to have. I got the D20 core rule book version but never played it, it did not compare to the West End version.
Bigity
It's got some problems, but it was just fun. And that outweighed everything else.

The 2nd edition revised was really good and fixed some of the issues, like having sliding TNs and such. Jedi could be issues at higher power levels, but that's what the Jedi Code is for, to keep them in line. Also, quite frankly if you let your Jedi get 11D in all three skills in a period where there were like a handful of Jedi in canon, you are kinda causing your own problems.
CanRay
I do want to give the new game a shot, but, as usual, only groups that want me want me to GM.
BishopMcQ
Review by Penny Arcade http://www.penny-arcade.com/2012/12/24/sta...e-of-the-empire
Tanegar
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 28 2013, 04:08 PM) *
I do want to give the new game a shot, but, as usual, only groups that want me want me to GM.

God, tell me about it. I have an idea for an L5R character that I'd love to play, but D&D and Pathfinder have a stranglehold on the RPG scene in my neck of the woods.
tasti man LH
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 28 2013, 01:40 AM) *
I am not sure what is meant by the All Jedi or No Jedi problem. For the SAGA version, there was the Either Jedi or Droid problem. Force powers in SAGA were impressive enough and Force Sensitivity accessible enough that many characters were Force Sensitive. The only non-Force Sensitives in the group were droids.

Well, it's explained in a bit more detail in this here vid(s) by this gentleman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWoFIRxINA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRfrNeBspEE

Basically, pretty similar to the "MagicRun" problems that SR has, except with Jedi.

With the current iteration, I get the impression that since they are trying to make it a viable option to keep the idea of a "street-level" or "military" campaign within Star Wars playable without Jedi, is one way to mitigate the problem.
CanRay
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Oct 28 2013, 05:10 PM) *
God, tell me about it. I have an idea for an L5R character that I'd love to play, but D&D and Pathfinder have a stranglehold on the RPG scene in my neck of the woods.
Even people that know nothing of gaming wanted me to teach them D&D. I'm using 3.5 as those are the books I have.

I'm looking over some old notes I had for a Star Wars campaign during the early days of the Clone Wars, and sigh at how epic it could have been.
White Buffalo
QUOTE (Bigity @ Oct 28 2013, 02:10 PM) *
You and me both brother. I cut my RPG teeth on that game and still think I'd pick it to play over any other game out there, including SR.

Anyone intrested in FFG or D6 Star Wars checkout the WolfCon info in the convention forum, both systems will be run in Chicago over thanksgiving weekend.
Starmage21
I remember having a strong aversion to D6 Star Wars by WEG simply because playing jedi was discouraged.
tasti man LH
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Nov 5 2013, 12:25 PM) *
I remember having a strong aversion to D6 Star Wars by WEG simply because playing jedi was discouraged.

By the game system itself, or the people you played?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Nov 5 2013, 03:24 PM) *
By the game system itself, or the people you played?

The system itself discouraged them more by the setting, which is fine by me. Start using the force too much and have Darth Vader hunting you down.
toturi
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Nov 6 2013, 12:24 PM) *
The system itself discouraged them more by the setting, which is fine by me. Start using the force too much and have Darth Vader hunting you down.

IIRC the setting discouraged obvious Force-use. You can spam using the Force, as long as people did not associate it with Force use, Vader wouldn't be hunting you down. One character was a illusionist con-being, who actually is Force-sensitive, but used the Force to augment his illusions/tricks/cons. Best thing was there was a HRD character who played his "stunt double" in his stage illusions and it was this character that Vader "interviewed".
X-Kalibur
I never felt any draw to playing a Jedi in the D6 system, they gave you so much wonderful stuff to use. My last character was an up and coming Barabel shock boxer.
tasti man LH
Well, unless if you run a campaign specifically where everyone is a Jedi, where by then running into Jedi Hunting Imperial forces would be pretty much a daily occupational hazard.
toturi
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Nov 6 2013, 01:08 PM) *
I never felt any draw to playing a Jedi in the D6 system, they gave you so much wonderful stuff to use. My last character was an up and coming Barabel shock boxer.

Because everything is better with the Force. nyahnyah.gif

I see your Barabel shock boxer and raise you an Advozse unarmed combat Sith Lord - think Akuma from Streetfighter.
CanRay
I have had a ship like this a time or two in Star Wars D6. It couldn't perform like the Falcon, it was just a piece of garbage: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0958.html

Considering my chances of ever playing a game again (I'm always stuck as the GM), however... I may never see this again.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 6 2013, 11:21 AM) *
I have had a ship like this a time or two in Star Wars D6. It couldn't perform like the Falcon, it was just a piece of garbage: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0958.html

Considering my chances of ever playing a game again (I'm always stuck as the GM), however... I may never see this again.

Force it onto the players instead biggrin.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (toturi @ Nov 5 2013, 11:07 PM) *
Because everything is better with the Force. nyahnyah.gif

I see your Barabel shock boxer and raise you an Advozse unarmed combat Sith Lord - think Akuma from Streetfighter.

Reminds me of a particular encounter my transient, Dakkar, had. Thanks to the wild die, I managed to roll a 40 on the most ridiculous thing ever. Off-handedly conning a jedi into believing I could use the force. One of the few times that damnable die ever helped me and wasn't screwing over my rolls.
CanRay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Nov 6 2013, 03:23 PM) *
Force it onto the players instead biggrin.gif
Wish I could, but the Force is weak with this one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012