Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OOC] - Shadows of the CAS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Umidori
Running - 8d6 → [4,1,5,1,6,6,6,2] = (4 Hits)
Climbing - 10d6 → [1,4,1,4,2,3,1,5,3,3] = (1 Hit) *
Infiltration - 12d6 → [6,6,2,1,5,3,5,4,6,1,3,5] = (6 Hits)

So I make it upstairs handily, and I not only maintain my stealthiness, but become even more ghostly.

Unfortunately, I flubbed the climbing roll and assume I either make no progress, or at best only a fraction. Fortunately I didn't glitch, so I'm safe and sound. I'm picturing Nick focusing so hard on not being seen that he misjudges the second handhold and has to cling one-handed for a moment, dangling in a shadow below the roof edge, getting his bearings before trying again.

* The Climbing test I was a bit unsure on, specifically the difficulty modifier for the climbing surface. Looking at the table on SR4A p. 132, and considering the nature of the climb based on the image of the building, I was waffling on what would be appropriate. I ended up going with a "Broken" surface modifier of +0, both because it seemed appropriate given the "handholds" available based on the picture, and because a neutral modifier stays in line with Arcana's prior posted test requirements.

If needed I'll reroll with a greater (or possibly lesser, I guess?) negative difficulty modifier, but since I'm gonna have to roll again to get anywhere anyway, it seems like it hardly matters. biggrin.gif

~Umi
Lobo0705
I know there was the holiday and then the added inconvenience of Invisible Castle going down - but we are starting to slow down a little bit here.

Lobo isn't going to do anything until the car either leaves or someone gets out and starts heading toward the house.

Umidori
I was waiting on confirmation of my climbing uncertainties, but I'll try and get up an IC post describing my ascent as it stands so far. nyahnyah.gif

~Umi
LordArcana
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 4 2013, 02:06 AM) *
I was waiting on confirmation of my climbing uncertainties, but I'll try and get up an IC post describing my ascent as it stands so far. nyahnyah.gif

~Umi

Weird... i must have closed the window before i hit send. I had replied to your rolls yesterday. My mistake sorry.

Yep, basically you run like a cheetah on crack through the house up the stairs to the balcony... you do a great job being careful to stay in shadows but the hand holds are just a bit farther apart than you originally thought. With only one success you are safe and not at risk of falling, but you don't really make much progress in climbing. Basically you are still on the balcony getting yourself ready with safe hand holds. We can gladly treat it as an extended test to see how long it takes you to climb up. Each roll being 1 combat turn and you have a threshold of [5] with 1 success so far. For the story you reach out for the first handhold and realize just enough moisture is pooled from the rain earlier that is making things a little harder. +/-0 for the broken surface and -1 for damp conditions for future tests.
LordArcana
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 3 2013, 03:46 PM) *
I know there was the holiday and then the added inconvenience of Invisible Castle going down - but we are starting to slow down a little bit here.

Lobo isn't going to do anything until the car either leaves or someone gets out and starts heading toward the house.

Yeah i figured the holidays would slow things down a little but i didn't expect this slow. I see Mach_Ten hasn't logged in since Thanksgiving... anyone heard from him at all? Just waiting to see what Artemis is going to do in the car before i proceed with the other strange car moving up.
Lobo0705
I haven't heard anything from Mach_Ten, no.

Hopefully everything is okay with him IRL. In character, Artemis is hopeless devil.gif
LordArcana
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 4 2013, 01:12 PM) *
I haven't heard anything from Mach_Ten, no.

Hopefully everything is okay with him IRL. In character, Artemis is hopeless devil.gif

I sent Mach_Ten a message. I hope everything is alright. I'll give him until middle of tomorrow before i autopilot Artemis through this scene to keep things moving.
Umidori
IC is up! Meant to have it up yesterday, but it's that time of the year. wink.gif

~Umi
LordArcana
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 5 2013, 06:29 AM) *
IC is up! Meant to have it up yesterday, but it's that time of the year. wink.gif

~Umi

beautiful smile.gif
Umidori
I was a little unsure on the odd tense formations, but they seemed to work to me and now I'm getting complimented. Huzzah!

+1 Ego Point(s)

~Umi
LordArcana
I just heard back from Mach_Ten... seems like is going to take a little time off to get real world things in order but should be back around the beginning of the year. He has given the ok to put Artemis on autopilot until he gets back. I will update things on his end in a little while IC so we can get moving again.
Lobo0705
Sounds good - Lobo has been crouching near that window so long his legs are starting to get tired ;0
LordArcana
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 6 2013, 12:30 PM) *
Sounds good - Lobo has been crouching near that window so long his legs are starting to get tired ;0

to pass the time i thought he was doing squats... gotta keep those thighs firm smile.gif
Lobo0705
One never knows when one has to go undercover as a lady - and then it all pays off when you get to wear that high slit dress.
LordArcana
If anyone has any last minute actions for the last couple seconds before the car arrives post them up. I will update IC in the morning for the arrival smile.gif
LordArcana
IC Updated... its getting serious folks... game faces on people. silly.gif
Lobo0705
Not sure why, but I instantly read "At night even" in Snagglepusses voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAf5i4TEA0

Showing my age I guess smile.gif

Quick question - I just want to make sure I'm understanding - they parked in front of the middle apartment, but are they walking up to that apartment or to ours?
LordArcana
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 7 2013, 09:12 AM) *
Not sure why, but I instantly read "At night even" in Snagglepusses voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAf5i4TEA0

Showing my age I guess smile.gif

Quick question - I just want to make sure I'm understanding - they parked in front of the middle apartment, but are they walking up to that apartment or to ours?

their positions are marked on the scene map. From the driver door of their vehicle to where they are now, they could be going to either apartment. They are in the middle of the driveway walking towards the sidewalk.
Lobo0705
Ok - short IC post up - still hasn't really changed what Lobo is doing.

In game terms I'm holding my action to see what they do.
Umidori
Strength 7 + Climbing 1 + Assisted Climbing (Gecko Tape Gloves) 2, -1 Damp Conditions = (9 Dice)

Climbing 2 - 9d6 → [2,4,2,6,6,2,4,3,6] = (3 Hits)
Climbing 3 - 9d6 → [1,1,2,6,2,4,1,2,2] = (1 Hit)
Climbing 4 - 9d6 → [3,2,5,6,6,6,3,6,3] = (5 Hits)

Of course I have to creep slowly to four net hits before hitting the total threshold of five hits in a single final roll. sarcastic.gif

Derp, I forgot the first hit on the first test, I hit the threshold on the third try, making the fourth even more superfluous than it already was. biggrin.gif

~Umi
LordArcana
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 7 2013, 04:10 PM) *
Strength 7 + Climbing 1 + Assisted Climbing (Gecko Tape Gloves) 2, -1 Damp Conditions = (9 Dice)

Climbing 2 - 9d6 → [2,4,2,6,6,2,4,3,6] = (3 Hits)
Climbing 3 - 9d6 → [1,1,2,6,2,4,1,2,2] = (1 Hit)
Climbing 4 - 9d6 → [3,2,5,6,6,6,3,6,3] = (5 Hits)

Of course I have to creep slowly to four net hits before hitting the total threshold of five hits in a single final roll. sarcastic.gif

Derp, I forgot the first hit on the first test, I hit the threshold on the third try, making the fourth even more superfluous than it already was. biggrin.gif

~Umi

With the success of the last roll feel free to make your IC "exciting" with your amazing climbing ability smile.gif
Umidori
Flashbang and collapsible baton readied, Take Aim action on the newcomers, holding action for surprise.

~Umi
LordArcana
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 7 2013, 10:11 PM) *
Flashbang and collapsible baton readied, Take Aim action on the newcomers, holding action for surprise.

~Umi

you have a truly dizzying intellect...
LordArcana
IC updated +3 seconds. I am doing this in small segments to give you an opportunity to act at any point if you wish. If you want to keep holding your current actions just say so in OCC... if you want to change your held action feel free to update it in IC... if you want to take an action let me know in OOC so we can begin with possible surprise.
Lobo0705
Lobo is still holding.
LordArcana
Updated Scene Map
Umidori
QUOTE (LordArcana @ Dec 8 2013, 04:02 AM) *
you have a truly dizzying intellect...

Wait till I get going!

...where was I?

~Umi
Umidori
Alrighty, Nick isn't the sort to think things through properly (although he often overthinks), so I think this is the time to gently lob the flashbang over the edge of the roof at the newcomers' feet.

Rolling for surprise.

Reaction 3 + Intuition 3 + Ambush 6 = 12d6 → [4,5,5,1,2,4,1,4,3,3,1,4] = (2 Hits)

Man, such a subpar roll. frown.gif

So that sets their Surprise threshold to a mere 2. Oh well, I assume they've failed to perceive me so they should only roll their flat Reaction and Intuition I believe? I know that since I saw them coming, they can't actually surprise me, so there's that at least.

If possible, I'd like to cook off the grenade via a delayed action (Simple action to pull the pin when my Initiative hits in the first IP, delay action, Simple Action to drop it at the end of the first IP, it detonates at the start of the second IP). If that's straying unduly far from the rules as written, no big deal, drop it, let them scramble if they aren't surprised, and THEN boom! devil.gif

Speaking of timing...

Initiative - 6d6 → [2,2,1,3,4,4] = (0 Hits)

Wow. The dice gods are cruel! I must attone for my sins! So yeah, total Intiative Score of 6. Wonderful. sarcastic.gif

Rolling for Scatter...

Agility 7 + Throwing Weapons 1 + Specialization (Lobbed) 2 = 10d6 → [1,2,5,6,6,5,3,3,1,5] = (5 Hits)

Huh. So THAT'S where I left all my 6's and 5's.

Scatter Direction and Distance...

1d6 → [3] = (3)
1d6 → [1] = (1)

So the grenade scatters back and to the right a total of 1 - 5 hits = 0m (so not at all), coming to a gentle stop right at their feet! Qapla'!

~Umi
LordArcana
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 8 2013, 06:05 PM) *
Wait till I get going!

...where was I?

~Umi

Australia.

Umidori
Yes! Australia!

And you must have suspected I would have known the K-10's origin, so I clearly cannot choose the soycaf in front of me!

~Umi
Lobo0705
Ok, so as Nick has sent the balloon up, Lobo will join in.

Surprise:

Reaction 5 + Intuition 4 + Ambush 6 = 15 dice=4 hits

15d6.hits(5)=4

He will then put two rounds into the man:

Pistols 14 + Smartlink 2 + Take Aim 2=18d6 - a stupefying 3 hits

18d6.hits(5)=3

And then the 2nd shot without the Aim bonus of 16 dice - again 3 hits

16d6.hits(5)=3

a REALLY unsatisfactory result.

So both hits are 11 DV with a -2 AP

Then for Initiative,

5d6 (including the penalty for Combat Paralysis) = 2 hits, so Initiative of 7 with 2 IP

5d6.hits(5)=2
Lobo0705
Oh, and btw, something that slipped my mind until now - given that Lobo searched the gangers, and he is Mr. Perception - remind me to have a word with someone about how he managed to miss a blinking red transponder wink.gif
Umidori
I thought that was odd, but apparently only someone with proper electronics knowledge would recognize it? And while Lobo has knowledge of Security Tactics and Security Companies, he doesn't have knowledge of Security Design or of Electronics (and you can't default on Hardware).

So yeah, blinking keyfob thing. On the one hand, maybe Lobo's paranoid like all good runners are and he thinks "Blinking whatsit - IT MUST BE A TRACKER DEVICE!". On the other hand, maybe it wasn't blinking when he first searched them? Maybe it was remotely activated when they failed to check in?

As for your joining in the fight, though... I'm running electronics-dead and you don't know where I am or what I'm doing, so I think you need to roll Perception to notice the grenade to even realize I've done anything. Otherwise, what tips you off to act at that exact moment?

And although dice-wise you aren't surprised by my action, you technically act BEFORE me in terms of initiative, so... if anything, you'd surprise ME if you fired before I dropped the 'nade?

~Umi
Lobo0705
Personally I was reacting to the grenade being thrown - if I need a perception test to do so no problem. If I fail the perception check I can DEFINITELY react to the grenade exploding smile.gif
LordArcana
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 8 2013, 08:33 PM) *
Oh, and btw, something that slipped my mind until now - given that Lobo searched the gangers, and he is Mr. Perception - remind me to have a word with someone about how he managed to miss a blinking red transponder wink.gif

It wasn't blinking when you did your search. It only started blinking when it got activated by some nosy guy with the hair poking around in the owners commlink smile.gif
LordArcana
Oh Boy..... here we go smile.gif

Give me a few minutes to get caught up reading and getting things sorted out.

EDIT:

Ok as i see it there are three ways we can go with this.

(1) Lobo's original held action was to react when they approached the apartment (which they currently are) so he can just start shooting when he feels the requirement of his action is met...

(2) or he can make a perception check to see the grenade fall and react on Initiative (5) immediately after the grenade hits the ground but before it goes off...

(3) or he can still make the perception check but wait until the grenade goes off to react.

NPC ACTIONS:

Asian Man's Perception: PERCEPTION: Asian man in sunglasses (9d6.hits(5)=4) 4
Asian Man's Surprise: Surprise (9d6.hits(5)=4) 4
Asian Man's Initiative: Asian Man's Initiative (9d6.hits(5)=3) 12

Cybergoth's Perception: PERCEPTION: Cybergoth (3d6.hits(5)=2) 2
Cybergoth's Surprise: Surprise (6d6.hits(5)=3) 3
Cybergoth's Initiative: Initiative (6d6.hits(5)=2) 8

Artemis Surprise: Surprise (6d6.hits(5)=1) 1
Artemis Initiative: Initiative (6d6.hits(5)=1) 7

Sooo... I need to know if Lobo is going to just open up or wait for the grenade. As soon as i know that i will post up IC to begin the combat scene.

Initiative Order
IP-1
Asian Man (4) – 12
Cybergoth Girl (2) – 8
Lobo (4) – 7
Artemis (1) - 7
Nick (2) - 6

IP-2
Asian Man (4) – 12
Lobo (4) – 7
Lobo0705
I was planning on waiting until they did something that would require action - so it would be #3, I'll wait until the grenade goes off.

Perception check - 11d6

11d6.hits(5)=6

Oh - sure NOW I roll lots of successes rotfl.gif

Btw, my 2 simple actions will be to fire, fire - and with my free action, I'll activate the Flash Pak smile.gif
LordArcana
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 9 2013, 11:42 AM) *
I was planning on waiting until they did something that would require action - so it would be #3, I'll wait until the grenade goes off.

Perception check - 11d6

11d6.hits(5)=6

Oh - sure NOW I roll lots of successes rotfl.gif

Btw, my 2 simple actions will be to fire, fire - and with my free action, I'll activate the Flash Pak smile.gif

Very nice roll! Ok gotcha. Only one last question for you Mr. Lobo. Yo mentioned earlier in IC that you were standing at the sliding door and placed the flash pack and then moved to another window. Are you going to fire through the other window or open it first? It sounds silly but depending on your answer it does potentialy make a small bit of difference smile.gif
Lobo0705
I guess that would depend on the material of the window.

I've been there awhile, does it look like bullet-proof glass?

Should make some sort of knowledge test to see if these would typically be bullet proof?

LordArcana
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 9 2013, 03:18 PM) *
I guess that would depend on the material of the window.

I've been there awhile, does it look like bullet-proof glass?

Should make some sort of knowledge test to see if these would typically be bullet proof?

Doubtful its bulletproof... just regular window glass
Lobo0705
Ok - if that is the case I'll just shoot through it.
LordArcana
With the net hits of the grenade attack both of the two are resisting 10S (6S base and 4S net hits).

Asian Man's Stun Resist: Body(5) + Armor(4) - AP(3) = 6DP (6d6.hits(5)=3) 3

Cybergoth's Stun Resist: Body(2) + Armor(2) - AP(3) = 2DP* (2d6.hits(5)=0) 0
* I don't subscribe to the idea that AP can reduce armor to a negative number nor do I believe it should carry over and lower natural body resist.

Resist 9P (reduced to Stun because of armor) twice for the man.

Resist: Body(5) + Armor(11) - AP(2) = 14DP (14d6.hits(5)=5, 14d6.hits(5)=6) 5 / 6

He takes 4S and 3S

Damage Conclusion:

Asian man: 14S

Cybergoth: 10S
Lobo0705
Btw, for the record, I am completely prepared OOC for this to be some sort of bizarre mixup where these two are meeting up with the three we took in some sort of swinger scene, - hence the girl saying she wants to "play" with them.

Either that, or perhaps she is the pro, and the guy her pimp.

In which case, whoops, our bad.
LordArcana
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 8 2013, 08:30 PM) *
He will then put two rounds into the man:

Pistols 14 + Smartlink 2 + Take Aim 2=18d6 - a stupefying 3 hits

18d6.hits(5)=3

And then the 2nd shot without the Aim bonus of 16 dice - again 3 hits

16d6.hits(5)=3

a REALLY unsatisfactory result.

So both hits are 11 DV with a -2 AP

Perhaps I am just tired and missing something but the damage for the Savalette is 5P (-1AP) which with the Ex-ex brings that to 6P (-2AP)... with net hits of 3 since they are not reacting to your shots is 9P (-2AP). If there is something else I am missing I will correct it later.
Lobo0705
Nope - crap - I was thinking 5e when the DV are higher - totally 9DV with a -2 AP

Sorry!
LordArcana
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 9 2013, 05:04 PM) *
Nope - crap - I was thinking 5e when the DV are higher - totally 9DV with a -2 AP

Sorry!

No problem. I fragged up the resist anyway, forgot to take into account body mods but i doubt a couple dice would have made much of a difference. It all worked out.

That scene was pretty much both IP's of round one so everyone can go ahead and roll a new Initiative>
Umidori
No one is dead, this looks pretty good. With no permanent damage so far, I'm okay with us having just attacked a pair of "innocents" if that ends up being the case*. Nick would have been okay either way, the unscrupulous bugger.

New Initiative

6d6 → [2,4,3,6,6,4] = (2 Hits), total Initiative Value of 8.

* Point of Note - I've not read the Japanese stuff, because Nick doesn't speak Japanese and I don't want to influence my choices as a player unduly.

~Umi
Lobo0705
So my pitiful die-rolling continues smile.gif

Initiative 9
9d6.hits(5)=1

So 1 success yields me a 10 initiative with 2IP

Lobo does speak Japanese, but the GM kept it vague enough that I couldn't be sure whether they were innocent or not. It was one of the reasons I was waiting smile.gif

Umidori
I see by your character sheet you also sprechen sie deutsch!

And technically you don't have English listed (although logically that's your Native language). wink.gif

~Umi
Umidori
I'm actually curious why we're moving to the next round of combat. Based on the reported damage, the man has to be knocked out cold and the woman is just on the verge. Plus there's an unconscious man on top of her, pinning her to the ground. Surely she's not going to try to continue the fight? biggrin.gif

I guess I'll ready my second flashbang and delay my remaining Simple Action until she moves or something, assuming she she doesn't somehow get a higher initiative score than me despite stun modifiers. Nick'd probably wait to see if Lobo tells her to surrender before he gave away his position anyway.

~Umi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012