Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Revisiting System Shock 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
So, I'm playing System Shock 2 again which I got off of gog.com.

Last time, years ago, I played a marine. I thought this time I'd do something different and play a psychic.

I'm several hours in and I think I'm just going to restart the game and go navy this time. Psychics really, really suck.

The powers are difficult to toggle and use, they aren't very powerful, and at the same time they are kind of a resource drain since you invest in leveling them up and in buying psi hypos.

The psychic amplifier takes up a lot of space in your inventory and you can't really discard it if you're trying to rely on psychic powers.

It's becoming such a pain in the ass to play as a psychic that I am through with it. It is amazing how I had such a great time playing the game the first time through as the marine, but it's such a drag playing as a different character class.

Well at least it's not one of those stereotypical RPG situations where the psychic is stupidly overpowered and makes the other character classes obsolete.
Tanegar
Navy is my favorite class. Tech skills are just too useful in SS2, and you really only need one or two combat skills.

Damn, I'd love to see System Shock 3. Or even HD remakes of System Shock 1 and 2.
Quark O'Doom
Piling in on this thread for a first post; SS2 was a great game.

The psychics are really really hard. Managing the psi resource without good hacking skills is very challenging, and some encounters have sufficient enemies that you're likely to have some real trouble. I agree with the recommendations of the others, and strongly recommend you go Navy.
Koekepan
I completed it as psychic, but I invested in some technical skills, and just learned to plot traps and dodge a lot for combat. That and a few basic weaponry skills saw me through.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012