Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run Ideas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
grendel
All I want is a forum to talk about and flesh out ideas for runs. I always click on uns and run ideas but it's always the IC stuff and nothing about run ideas.

So, as requested, here are some of my ideas that worked and some that are still in work. If you run in any of the games that I GM, don't read any further.

This means you, Blitz. smile.gif

One of my goods ones that I ran one a couple of years ago when the group's composition could support it was a series of smuggling adventures which ultimately saw the group shipwrecked on a deserted South Pacific island. The details can be found here.

In there I also mention the Looking Glass campaign that I was thinking of running. That one didn't pan out like I'd hoped it would, so it might need some revision before implementation.

Along those lines, I'm still tossing around the idea of having a team run through something like the Discovery Channel Eco-challenge. The two ways I've thought about doing it are as unofficial bodyguards for a corporate CEO/VP who wants to remain anonymous yet experience the thrill of the race. That seems most likely to succeed since it limits the number of variables and provides a strong motivation (profit) to complete the race.

Alternatively, I've given thought to trying to use the race as some sort of exit cover for a mission. Race teams would be given clearance across national borders and through possibly restricted areas. (corporate, national areas of interest) This would work well if the race were staged in Africa and the mission was to steal diamonds from DeBeers-Omni, possibly something from the Ghoul nation, or even a run into Madagascar. That would be sort of a total immersion run since it would require detailed planning not only of the run to be accomplished, but also of the race-course and the challenges that would have to be overcome in order to successfully complete the exit strategy.

I've run a number of successful smuggling campaigns, the most recent of which featured the rigger in my campaign, an AmerInd who was positive that he could see the 'spirit' of the machine, being used by Deus to smuggle half a dozen of his special children to Denver. The only problem with smuggling campaigns is trying to simulate the long hours spent on the road while keeping everyone engaged. If you've got the right group for it, you could always use time on the road to represent time spent planning the next hit/theft.

One of the things I've got kicking around for my game when I get home is one my players is running a Scottish Troll who uses a claymore. Fat Bastard jokes aside, it's a good character and he even has a passable accent for it. When he first brought the character to me, he said that he wanted the sword to figure in to his character's history, to be special somehow, but that he'd leave the details up to me. Well, Evil GM that I am, I decided to work up something good, something beyond the obvious Highlander or weapon focus bit. I toyed briefly with having the sword be infested by an Imp or possibly being the receptacle of a free spirit's hidden life. What I've settled on, though, is close to what I was trying to avoid while still being cool. In a twist on Highlander, what if it wasn't the swordwielder's that were immortal, but rather the swords themselves? All the same rules apply: break another immortal sword and you absorb its power. There can be only one. Now all I have to do is figure out a subtle way to work all of this into the current campaign.

Comments, suggestions, brainstorms?
lodestar
I always thought one of the best ideas for a run would be to copy the GITS story line, having it seem like a string of unrelated cases or runs where odd coincidences popped up. With an AI or some other entity behind the main plotline. An AI maybe trying to "escape" the matrix and take on a body. With various incidents into various corp projects that might help it in its goals, along with seemingly sidetrack scenes (strategic people go missing, a cyberzombie goes rogue, tracking beserk automated factories, etc.) If it went well, slowly the characters would realize that they're getting in over their heads. Seeing how they react when it dawns on them that they've beeen eing manipulated would be the most interesting part. Add in some conspiracy theories, some terrifying combat, and a climactic battle scene and voila, you have a good story.

Or maybe I'm rambling...
Blitz
QUOTE (grendel)
So, as requested, here are some of my ideas that worked and some that are still in work.  If you run in any of the games that I GM, don't read any further.

This means you, Blitz.  smile.gif

Ah...the taste of temptation.....

Don't worry...I'm a good girl.

*polishes her halo*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012