Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PbP game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Sponge
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 14 2014, 06:17 PM) *
So, its looks like:

Hawk arrived a year ago. He slowly integrated into the shadow community, have not been a shadowrunner prior to his arrival. Offenbach arrived in town three months ago. He and Hawk met each other recently drinking with Fingers, but have not yet worked together. Two months ago Switch arrived. Switch & Hawk have worked together twice. IO just arrived in town and has neither worked with the others, nor even met any of them at this point.

Perhaps IO and Hawk could have a fixer in common:

Dilafruz “Dee” Meltova [C4] Female Human Fixer
Quote: I know a guy who knows a gal.. Yea, I can make a connection for you.
Uses: Work, equipment, anytime you need a new connection, she knows someone.
Description: Filipino in ancestry, Dee was born and raised in Kalgoorlie-Boulder. A local kid who beat the odds and who rose up from the SINless population, Dee is well connected with locals as well as immigrated natives who work from the shadows.

Works for me. I left that contact pretty open smile.gif
Redjack
I would say we're ready for a GM to get his rent inspection over and kick this shindig off!
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 14 2014, 07:04 PM) *
How about:

Ricky “Fingers” Jackson [C3] Male Human Fence
Quote: Let's talk bottom dollar.
Uses: Buying and selling stolen and illegal weapons, goods or gear.
Description: When he moved to town, Bobby needed someone who good hook him up with that gear that is so vital to a shadowrunner. Fingers could supply that gear. Fingers specializes in weapons, something especially challenging in a community where firearms are illegal. With several relatives working for the Star, Ricky is able to get a heads up on any official inquiries into his business. One evening, several unhappy customers were in the process of hostile negotiations towards a better deal when Bobby rained on their parade. Since then, he and Ricky have been drinking buddies in addition to their business relationship.

Sounds good, I'll update my character sheet for when I post the "official" one in the OOC thread, whenever that goes up.
Lobo0705
Agreed about we are ready for the GM - I suppose we should add the extra knowledge skill ranks?
Redjack
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jan 14 2014, 07:15 PM) *
Agreed about we are ready for the GM - I suppose we should add the extra knowledge skill ranks?
Yea. I'm thinking of another language as part of that. Once he posts in about my languages question, I should be done there. wink.gif
Sponge
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 14 2014, 08:27 PM) *
Yea. I'm thinking of another language as part of that. Once he posts in about my languages question, I should be done there. wink.gif

Yep that was my plan - I had another 2 languages I wanted to get but I had to cut them... now they can come back smile.gif
FuelDrop
Languages: Primarily English, with Japanese as the most prominent secondary. Various Indonesian dialects are also fairly common.

EDIT: Good to see everyone was happy to roll with the extra knowledge skills. Good suggestion, Redjack
Redjack
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 14 2014, 10:05 PM) *
Languages: Primarily English, with Japanese as the most prominent secondary. Various Indonesian dialects are also fairly common.
I see that Bahasa Indonesia is the national language that most speak. Additionally, there are a number of regional dialects.

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 14 2014, 10:05 PM) *
EDIT: Good to see everyone was happy to roll with the extra knowledge skills. Good suggestion, Redjack
I have one other thing I was discussing with FuelDrop: The crazy price increase of fake SINs. For something that is supposed to be burnable, they went from 1k/rating to 2.5k/rating. Thoughts of the group?
Sponge
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 15 2014, 08:46 AM) *
I have one other thing I was discussing with FuelDrop: The crazy price increase of fake SINs. For something that is supposed to be burnable, they went from 1k/rating to 2.5k/rating. Thoughts of the group?

I'm ambivalent. I'm ok with the price as-is, and I think it makes decisions about SINs a little more meaningful (especially "what rating should I buy") but it wouldn't bother me if it was reduced, either.

I expect that (along with all of the other price changes) the change was made in order to make its cost in line with its value to players. Although I tend to dislike that sort of gamist rationale for RPG rules, since there aren't any economic statistics in the fluff that give us an idea of how much stuff costs for the average wageslave, starting character nuyen and payouts for runs are pretty much the only measuring sticks against which to balance gear prices, so they're more or less arbitrary anyway.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Sponge @ Jan 15 2014, 10:34 AM) *
I'm ambivalent. I'm ok with the price as-is, and I think it makes decisions about SINs a little more meaningful (especially "what rating should I buy") but it wouldn't bother me if it was reduced, either.

I expect that (along with all of the other price changes) the change was made in order to make its cost in line with its value to players. Although I tend to dislike that sort of gamist rationale for RPG rules, since there aren't any economic statistics in the fluff that give us an idea of how much stuff costs for the average wageslave, starting character nuyen and payouts for runs are pretty much the only measuring sticks against which to balance gear prices, so they're more or less arbitrary anyway.

Lifestyles give an idea for the basic cost of living. But it's not like the economy of the game makes sense as a whole to begin with. A large portion of it is gamist.

I don't have a problem with the new cost of fake SINs. In a society where everything requires a SIN, law enforcement must spend a lot of effort in making sure they can't be faked easily. Saying they are supposed to be burnable is in itself a gamist argument for lowering cost to begin with btw. And like you said, it makes decisions about SINs more interesting. I can see several character concepts where you would forego buying one entirely. It makes being SINless something significant and painful, as it should be.

This being said, if I'm the only one who likes it this way, then of course we can change it.
Lobo0705
For me personally it makes no difference. From a strictly selfish point of view - it means I can save a few karma that I spent for nuyen - sine my Rating 3 SIN cost as much as the rest of my gear combined.

I don't care either way - in my 5e games I charge my players the full price as it makes the decision to burn a fake SIN (or having a fake SIN burned through a screw up) something that has more impact.
Redjack
Ok. Price of SINs as is.
Redjack
@FuelDrop: What are your thoughts as to when the IC thread will be up?
FuelDrop
Probably saturday/sunday. I'm kind of flat out until then and I want to make the first post suitably epic.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any preferences for the first run? I have a plan in mind, but if you guys want to do a routine datasteal or assassination just to get the feel of the group then drop me a line and I'll organize that first. smile.gif
Sponge
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 16 2014, 03:57 AM) *
Probably saturday/sunday. I'm kind of flat out until then and I want to make the first post suitably epic.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any preferences for the first run? I have a plan in mind, but if you guys want to do a routine datasteal or assassination just to get the feel of the group then drop me a line and I'll organize that first. smile.gif

My impression so far, and maybe I'm wrong, is that this particular group isn't much for wetwork even though it includes a hitman and a sniper wink.gif But sometimes your choices suck, and from a roleplaying perspective that can be interesting too on occasion.
Lobo0705
As a player, I'm open to almost any kind of run.

As a character, Switch would prefer not to take wetwork jobs, but he's got to eat, and he has to keep bailing out his brother.
Chrome Head
I don't have a preference.

My character specializes in wetwork but is actually very versatile. He would take any job that allows him to pay his rent and go out a few times. Note that he wouldn't hurt a lady.
Redjack
A job is a job as long as it doesn't violate Hawk's code of ethics (no killing innocents expect in the case of hit and never a kid). His team seems similarly inclined, so that should work well.
Sponge
Io doesn't have a strictly defined code - but he does have a sense of morality that demands maintaining a positive karmic balance.
FuelDrop
Fantastic! Well I'm working on the details right now. It should be a good chance for everyone to flex their creative muscles as it'll basically be: Here's the objective, here's the advance, make it happen.
FuelDrop
Ok, starting in-character thread and OOC thread, title is 'Runner down under'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012