Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner Down Under
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
FuelDrop
The OOC thread for 'Runner Down Under'.
FuelDrop
Please note that the 'Football' teams mentioned in the IC thread are Australian Rules Football teams.
Chrome Head
Offenbach, Hit Man

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet
[ Spoiler ]
FuelDrop
Sorry guys I screwed up: I forgot that State of Origin Rugby is a winter past-time. No idea how that slipped my mind.
I'm going to say they're broadcasting a re-run to cover the plot-hole. Will do better next time.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 17 2014, 09:22 PM) *
Sorry guys I screwed up: I forgot that State of Origin Rugby is a winter past-time. No idea how that slipped my mind.
I'm going to say they're broadcasting a re-run to cover the plot-hole. Will do better next time.

That is completely unacceptable. Totally destroys the verisimilitude. I...I... I can't go on. I think I will need to drop out of the campaign now. wink.gif

Henry "Switch" Yagami - Mage

Character
[ Spoiler ]

Description
[ Spoiler ]

Mannerisms
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]
Sponge
Jacob "Io" March, Technomancer

[ Spoiler ]
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jan 18 2014, 10:27 AM) *
That is completely unacceptable. Totally destroys the verisimilitude. I...I... I can't go on. I think I will need to drop out of the campaign now. wink.gif

Agreed. I've ruined the whole thing. Oh well, good game guys. It was great playing with you.

[ Spoiler ]
Sponge
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 17 2014, 08:52 PM) *
Please note that the 'Football' teams mentioned in the IC thread are Australian Rules Football teams.

The first half of this video (~15 minutes) covers the basics of the game nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtmu-1kMFZw
FuelDrop
You know I just realized that you guys could theoretically just sit on your hands for 5 days, have the Woolworths team win on their own merits, and get paid with a bonus for being so incredibly stealthy...
Chrome Head
I was just assuming that they would be severe underdogs or that some proof of our work would be required. More stuff to find out about smile.gif
Redjack
HAWK: Male Human Sniper/Infiltration Expert/Close Combat

Priorities & Karma
[ Spoiler ]
Private Backstory
[ Spoiler ]
Public Story
[ Spoiler ]
Character Sheet
[ Spoiler ]
Contacts
[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
Couple of points of pbp etiquette. Usually in the IC thread, signatures are not posted (check box down below turns that off, by post) and names are usually bolded, in order to be clear that it is a proper name. Of course, it is your game, so just let me know.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 18 2014, 12:43 PM) *
Couple of points of pbp etiquette. Usually in the IC thread, signatures are not posted (check box down below turns that off, by post) and names are usually bolded, in order to be clear that it is a proper name. Of course, it is your game, so just let me know.

Sounds like good rules to follow. thanks for the tips smile.gif
Chrome Head
Rolling for starting resources
3d6=11
Which gives him a total of 660 + 250 = 910 nuyen. (edited char sheet as well)

Rolling for negotiation (this is the basic roll, please adjust for modifiers as needed).
10d6.hits(5)=0
Great first roll of the game, 0 hits biggrin.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jan 19 2014, 07:37 AM) *
Rolling for starting resources
3d6=11
Which gives him a total of 660 + 250 = 910 nuyen. (edited char sheet as well)

Rolling for negotiation (this is the basic roll, please adjust for modifiers as needed).
10d6.hits(5)=0
Great first roll of the game, 0 hits biggrin.gif

Hey, it could have been a glitch, right?

I suppose I should roll for the Bruce.

3 hits

Hey Chrome, could I get a raw charisma check please?

EDIT: Actually, could everyone who wants to give me a raw charisma check? Also, you get your normal bonus dice for a successful etiquette check on this, etiquette threshold 2.
Chrome Head
Not sure exactly what you want me to roll, but here goes.

Etiquette
10d6.hits(5)=4

Raw Charisma
5d6.hits(5)=0

Critical Glitch! ROFL.. how badly am I messing up here? embarrassed.gif

Depending on the consequences I might take an edge to soften things up.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jan 19 2014, 03:29 PM) *
Not sure exactly what you want me to roll, but here goes.

Etiquette
10d6.hits(5)=4

Raw Charisma
5d6.hits(5)=0

Critical Glitch! ROFL.. how badly am I messing up here? embarrassed.gif

Depending on the consequences I might take an edge to soften things up.

I'm beginning to think that you were leading the group on when you said you had face skills nyahnyah.gif

Well, I think that it's safe to say that you're not getting a base pay increase this run...
Lobo0705
I will say you have me confused a little as to what to roll as well.

Here is my Etiquette Check:

9d6.hits(5)=2

Here is my raw Charisma Check:

5d6.hits(5)=1

In 5e, a successful Etiquette Check means you move the NPC one category up - i.e. suspicious to neutral, or neutral to friendly, and depending on their attitude, that gives a modifier to the number of dice you roll.

In this case, what does my successful Etiquette Check do?
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jan 19 2014, 08:40 PM) *
I will say you have me confused a little as to what to roll as well.

Here is my Etiquette Check:

9d6.hits(5)=2

Here is my raw Charisma Check:

5d6.hits(5)=1

In 5e, a successful Etiquette Check means you move the NPC one category up - i.e. suspicious to neutral, or neutral to friendly, and depending on their attitude, that gives a modifier to the number of dice you roll.

In this case, what does my successful Etiquette Check do?

+1 dice and force the gm to reread the rules.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 19 2014, 07:46 AM) *
+1 dice and force the gm to reread the rules.

Gotcha smile.gif

By the way - and please answer honestly, do you want us to point out stuff where there is a difference between what you say and the rules? For me, although I GM'd 3e a LOT, I've still only GM'd 5e for about 8-10 adventures, so I don't mind people pointing it out, because that helps me learn faster.

Others don't like it as much, and I don't want to make any waves - just let me know and I'm happy to just roll whatever you want smile.gif

Here is my 1 bonus die to my raw charisma check

1d6.hits(5)=1 - woot! so 2 hits total on my raw Charisma check.

Chrome, since you got 4 hits on your Etiquette Check, you would get one extra die too - which may mitigate your critical glitch - although the way you are rolling, it is going to be another 1."

Redjack
Hawk

Charisma(5) + Etiquette(2) [1,5,4,1,2,5,5] = 3 hits
Charisma(5) [3,6,3,6,1] = 2 hits

Is the etiquette check simply a roll playing of how the basic table conversation goes and how the Bruce feels about the characters?
I assume there will be a negotiation check between our team negotiator and the Bruce?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 19 2014, 08:36 AM) *
Hawk

Is the etiquette check simply a roll playing of how the basic table conversation goes and how the Bruce feels about the characters?
I assume there will be a negotiation check between our team negotiator and the Bruce?

Red jack - there was already a negotiation roll - 0 successes for us, 3 for the Bruce.
Redjack
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jan 19 2014, 07:50 AM) *
Red jack - there was already a negotiation roll - 0 successes for us, 3 for the Bruce.
Oh... Missed that. Ugh. Yea, Hawk will have to re-evaluate the face. *snicker*
Chrome Head
Hehe.. what a failure for the proud guy who wants to show off!

Extra die
1d6.hits(5)=0

A 3.. so still a beautiful critical glitch with 1,1,1,1,2,3.

Edit: can teamwork be used on the negotiation check to maybe save my ass? nyahnyah.gif
Sponge
Hey guys, just a quick update on my status. One, I've been having problems registering at Invisible Castle, I don't receive the registration emails - I'm guessing my ISP is swallowing them as spam or something. I'll have use a webmail account instead; but unfortunately now my common usernames are "taken" smile.gif Once I get that sorted out I'll have some rolls here for you.

Second, yes, my IC intro post is coming, working on it - I had forgotten how long it takes me to do creative writing, specifically choosing how to begin. It's a strain of "analysis paralysis". Once I get going it's usually not a problem smile.gif

EDIT: Wow on the critical glitches. Io is already be having second thoughts about this team... wink.gif
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Sponge @ Jan 19 2014, 10:53 AM) *
Hey guys, just a quick update on my status. One, I've been having problems registering at Invisible Castle, I don't receive the registration emails - I'm guessing my ISP is swallowing them as spam or something. I'll have use a webmail account instead; but unfortunately now my common usernames are "taken" smile.gif Once I get that sorted out I'll have some rolls here for you.

Second, yes, my IC intro post is coming, working on it - I had forgotten how long it takes me to do creative writing, specifically choosing how to begin. It's a strain of "analysis paralysis". Once I get going it's usually not a problem smile.gif

EDIT: Wow on the critical glitches. Io is already be having second thoughts about this team... wink.gif

It's ok, take your time to get used to your character, but no worries this is not a competition smile.gif

About invis castle, I didn't bother to sign up and do all that myself, I'm just rolling dice by entering my character name in the appropriate field.

And yeah, my rolls have sucked so far, but there is only one (critical) glitch smile.gif
Sponge
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jan 19 2014, 11:19 AM) *
It's ok, take your time to get used to your character, but no worries this is not a competition smile.gif

About invis castle, I didn't bother to sign up and do all that myself, I'm just rolling dice by entering my character name in the appropriate field.

Just as well; the webmail approach didn't work either, so it seems like a problem on their end. In that case, my own rolls.

Io
Starting nuyen: 2d6*40=320
Etiquette:7d6.hits(5)=3
Charisma (+1 die for success on the Etiquette(2) ):5d6.hits(5)=3

Don't worry, I've got your back nyahnyah.gif

PS Redjack, I like the colourized name - makes it easy to find posts when scrolling through. Would it confuse things if I used the same colour?
Redjack
QUOTE (Sponge @ Jan 19 2014, 10:42 AM) *
PS Redjack, I like the colourized name - makes it easy to find posts when scrolling through. Would it confuse things if I used the same colour?
Not at all; for me, common coloring works well. I know that orange is the same I use for moderation, but there won't be a conflict with that in an OOC thread. smile.gif
FuelDrop
Feel free to correct me whenever I stuff up with the rules guys, I'm not infallible and it helps me learn the rules properly smile.gif

While there are better ways to make a first impression, Io at least seems to have gotten on the Bruce's less bad side.
Sponge
Alright, finally done, my intro will be up shortly; I'm just prettying up the bbcode. My apologies in advance for the length, once it loosened up it started flowing pretty easily. I'll try to keep it less novel-esque from here on in. smile.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sponge @ Jan 20 2014, 12:24 PM) *
Alright, finally done, my intro will be up shortly; I'm just prettying up the bbcode. My apologies in advance for the length, once it loosened up it started flowing pretty easily. I'll try to keep it less novel-esque from here on in. smile.gif

A masterpiece.

Gotta say, the French face upsetting the English Bruce works so well I couldn't have planned it better, narrative-wise. smile.gif
Chrome Head
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 19 2014, 11:41 PM) *
A masterpiece.

Gotta say, the French face upsetting the English Bruce works so well I couldn't have planned it better, narrative-wise. smile.gif

Yes, it was really well put smile.gif Love it. Can't wait to see what the Bruce ends up saying next. Man my character really wished he'd make a better impression on the group, but boy will I enjoy roleplaying this.
Lobo0705
Ok, so while he is waiting, Switch will use his DNI to run some basic matrix searches on:

1) The Coles' team
2) The Woolworth's team
3) Time, place, and who is listed as the referees for the game.

Getting 1, 4 (Wow), and 2 hits respectively.

4d6.hits(5)=1, 4d6.hits(5)=4, 4d6.hits(5)=2
Sponge
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jan 20 2014, 10:57 AM) *
Ok, so while he is waiting, Switch will use his DNI to run some basic matrix searches on:

1) The Coles' team
2) The Woolworth's team
3) Time, place, and who is listed as the referees for the game.

Getting 1, 4 (Wow), and 2 hits respectively.

4d6.hits(5)=1, 4d6.hits(5)=4, 4d6.hits(5)=2

Io is doing similar stuff, as described. Before I throw some dice at it, is there a Noise penalty in the area? (For a pbp game, is this the kind of thing I should just roll anyway with my default pool to cut down on back & forth, or should I generally ask and wait on the rolling?)
Redjack
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 19 2014, 07:36 AM) *
Charisma(5) [3,6,3,6,1] = 2 hits
QUOTE (Sponge @ Jan 20 2014, 10:17 AM) *
(For a pbp game, is this the kind of thing I should just roll anyway with my default pool to cut down on back & forth, or should I generally ask and wait on the rolling?)
As Fueldrop had posted a request for things that work well in the recruiting thread, I'll drop in my $0.02. If you post both how you built the dice, the actual dice and do it pre-emptively, it allows the GM to quick adjust the pool, drop dice off the end, add dice as required and move the game forward quickly.
Sponge
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 20 2014, 12:12 PM) *
As Fueldrop had posted a request for things that work well in the recruiting thread, I'll drop in my $0.02. If you post both how you built the dice, the actual dice and do it pre-emptively, it allows the GM to quick adjust the pool, drop dice off the end, add dice as required and move the game forward quickly.

Thanks, that's a good tip and model for other stuff. The peculiar challenges of pbp add some extra complications to figuring out how to wield the SR5 rules smile.gif

First, a Matrix Perception test to Spot the ceiling turret's icon, if it has one: Computer(6) + Intuition(5) + TM matrix perception bonus (2): [1,5,2,4,6,2,5,5,2,4,3,2,2] = (4)

As for information, there's quite a lot of details I'd like to know about the two teams and their sponsors, but for the immediate scene I think basic info about the League would suffice: player eligibility (metas/no metas; 'ware, drugs, and/or adepts allowed or not), "size" of the league in terms of exposure, is this a minor league or the SR 2075 equivalent of the AFL?, teams' standings in the league at the moment, and the implications of the upcoming game on those standings.

A Matrix Search for the above league basics: Computer(6) + Logic(5): [4,4,1,2,2,3,1,3,5,4,1] = (1)

Io has a datajack, which gives a wireless bonus of 1 Noise reduction.
FuelDrop
Well, the turret doesn't have a node as it's hard-wired, but the gel rounds it's loaded with have tags that you notice.

There isn't any noise in here. It's a runner haven, so the owners have gone to great lengths to ensure that matrix access is good. Since there's no mana storm to disrupt things at the moment you've got a clear signal.

Your searches reveal that cyberware from an approved list is allowed on footballers on all levels of organized play but all of these options are defensive in nature (dermal armour, bone lacing ect) rather than 'performance enhancing', and that while all metatypes are allowed to play professionally Orcs are the most common metatype due to their combination of endurance, strength, and sprinting speed. Drugs are still taboo, and magic is tightly controlled (again, no 'performance enhancing' magic, though that's harder to prove so magical players are often treated with suspicion).
There are naturally minor leagues where anything goes, but these are generally looked down on as unsporting (Kind of hypocritical considering the difference between metatypes being unpenalized, but there you go.)

Now it turns out that this is all part of the local league, and all the megacorps sponsor a local team as part of their public relations. Also, it's a popular form of entertainment and they get to improve customer loyalty and advertise at the same time by participating. There have been studies of the big league indicating that sales are directly affected by the corp's team's performance, thus proving that Australians are a bunch of fickle sheep.

The Coles team is mostly a mix of orcs and humans, with an elven captain (Jake Forrest) and a dwarf coach (Lynch Patterfield). They're the favorite for this match. Jake was in the news recently for his novacoke addiction, and while he swears he's clean now another incident might well take down his career for good.

The Woolworths team has several elves, a human captain (Peter Lawnford) and the rest are orcs. Their coach is an elf (Harry Smith), and they've been struggling with their star player (Ben Witchelm)'s chronic depression and resulting alcoholism. He's been diagnosed as Bipolar, and he tends to enter the manic phase of his condition on the field (Some people have suggested that his medication has been cut specifically to induce this effect).

The Referee for this game is listed as one Akio Yoshiro, a Renraku representative known for being impartial. The backup is Warren Usher, from Ares.
Lobo0705
Just to be clear, you mention that in "minor leagues" anything goes.

This particular venue is a "local league" - does that put it in the "minor league" category or is it the majors?
Sponge
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jan 20 2014, 10:47 PM) *
Just to be clear, you mention that in "minor leagues" anything goes.

This particular venue is a "local league" - does that put it in the "minor league" category or is it the majors?

He said that there exist minor leagues where anything goes, but this isn't one of them.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Sponge @ Jan 20 2014, 10:56 PM) *
He said that there exist minor leagues where anything goes, but this isn't one of them.

That's how I thought he wanted us to interpret it, but I just wanted to make sure - thanks!

FuelDrop
Should be able to reply a bit more to the IC thread this week, at least enough to get the ball really rolling on this run. Do we want to do the planning for the mission IC or OOC?
Chrome Head
I'm ready to go forward with the story. I'll give a chance for the others to add something if they want to. Offenbach will open up once again once the Bruce is gone.
Redjack
Ready to move to another location, decide on some legwork.
Sponge
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 25 2014, 10:16 AM) *
Ready to move to another location, decide on some legwork.

Ditto.

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 24 2014, 09:25 PM) *
Should be able to reply a bit more to the IC thread this week, at least enough to get the ball really rolling on this run. Do we want to do the planning for the mission IC or OOC?

My feeling (based on no experience whatsoever smile.gif ) is that at least some of the planning should be IC, but that'll mostly between us players and not really require much GM response, if any. Legwork could go either way IMO, depending on opportunities for character interaction.
Sponge
Io isn't sure if Offenbach's question is serious or not. In case it's necessary, here's a Judge Intentions roll to try and determine that.

Charisma (4) + Intuition (5) = [4,3,5,4,4,1,1,1,5] = (2)

(For quick reference, Judge Intentions is resisted by Willpower + Charisma.)
Chrome Head
No need to roll anything, you can just ask me, we're rp'ing. He's totally serious, there's no way for him to know what sigint means. He's also mostly worked alone in his professional career, so he's not that well versed in team roles and tactics.

I enjoyed the list of alternate titles smile.gif
Sponge
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jan 25 2014, 03:44 PM) *
No need to roll anything, you can just ask me, we're rp'ing.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks. One advantage I'm finding with PbP so far is that my character can deliver lines that I'd never manage to come up with off the cuff at a gaming table wink.gif
FuelDrop
Okay, so where's the secure location you guys are heading to?
Redjack
QUOTE (Sponge @ Jan 25 2014, 03:15 PM) *

Thanks. One advantage I'm finding with PbP so far is that my character can deliver lines that I'd never manage to come up with off the cuff at a gaming table wink.gif
Enjoyed them as well!
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 25 2014, 04:02 PM) *
Okay, so where's the secure location you guys are heading to?
Let me push up an IC post.
FuelDrop
You guys okay with me just making somewhere for you to meet up? If so, Offenbach can please roll his choice of con or negotiate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012