Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 24 2014, 09:59 AM) *
Just to make sure I haven't missed anything, the current contacts that you guys have feelers out with are:

Ramirez - looking for:
Info on Case #5427
Info on Bradshere
Twoman's SIN
Exact location of the Taylor murder

Honeypot - looking for
Any info on Overkill and Amy - i.e. who knows they are asking questions, who is interested in finding out about it, etc.

Ramirez is supposed to get back to you sometime tonight - Honeypot did not give an exact time.

Was there anything else? I don't believe so, but I'm just checking.

I think that's it, unless anyone has reached out to their contacts through PM.

Oh! The rest of our gear should have arrived around 8AM or so, I believe. (The rest of the armor vests and the Meta Links).
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 24 2014, 11:04 AM) *
I think that's it, unless anyone has reached out to their contacts through PM.

Oh! The rest of our gear should have arrived around 8AM or so, I believe. (The rest of the armor vests and the Meta Links).

Yes - good call smile.gif

Can you add to one of your IC posts about finding that (Nic would have taken delivery)
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 24 2014, 09:59 AM) *
Was there anything else? I don't believe so, but I'm just checking.

Did I ever hear back from my druggie contact? I am not sure if IC he's blowing me off, or OOC it just got lost in the shuffle ;P. I guess I wouldn't know either way.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Mar 24 2014, 10:09 AM) *
Did I ever hear back from my druggie contact? I am not sure if IC he's blowing me off, or OOC it just got lost in the shuffle ;P. I guess I wouldn't know either way.

-DrZ

KNEW there was one I was missing smile.gif Err, he was blowing you off, yeah, that's it. Totally not my forgetting about it.
Jack VII
I thought there was a follow-up on that where Lobo had asked if you really wanted to reach out to a Loyalty 1 contact about it. I could be mis-remembering.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 24 2014, 10:12 AM) *
I thought there was a follow-up on that where Lobo had asked if you really wanted to reach out to a Loyalty 1 contact about it. I could be mis-remembering.

I Don't think so. This is my drug dealer- I was asking him about a new drug! Seems like it's pretty much in the wheelhouse of our normal interaction.
-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 24 2014, 09:52 AM) *
Good question Jack, what kind of security would Chomsky normally have? I imagine it would be mostly volunteer on his end. Greeley on the other hand, we don't really have an idea of what kind of resources that she and Rebuilding Together have at there disposal.

Overkill's Corporate Security Roll
11d6.hits(5)=4

Rebuilding Together is, as far as corporations are concerned, a small one. They do not have their own security division, probably would not bother with magical security at all, and would more than likely have a contract with a Matrix security firm protect their host in case of emergencies.

As they are a non-profit, they are not, in general, have much to protect. They would probably contract a security company for a few rent-a-cops for office security work (possibly not even armed - a taser at best). For the rally, they would have staff on hand (mostly volunteers from the company - but also some professional security) to maintain crowd control, but again, these guys are in general looking to help people, and try and make lives better, they usually are not the target of anyone, nor are they looking to target anyone, so security will be light at best.
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Mar 24 2014, 10:16 AM) *
I Don't think so. This is my drug dealer- I was asking him about a new drug! Seems like it's pretty much in the wheelhouse of our normal interaction.
-DrZ

Maybe it was your gang contact then. Sorry, like I said, I was probably mis-remembering things. LOL
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Feb 2 2014, 04:53 AM) *
@Grease,
I already sent you the response in a PM from Argent. One question - and you can change your mind RP if you wish. Are you going to contact Sling about Crimson Fire? His loyalty is 1, would Grease be comfortable putting out the word he is trying to find out information about this? (So far, Amy has asked Chomsky, but he is loyalty 4, so much less likely to tell someone about her inquiries.

If you want to do it no problem, I'm just letting you know the potential consequences. Of which there might be none. Or some. We may never know.

@Grease,

Jack is correct (now I see what happened here - I forgot about this as well). This was my response to your IC post, OOC.

I don't think you ever answered - so I will assume that you did not change your mind, and Sling should be getting back to you shortly.
Always Overkill
IC is up; I didn't have him read the paper yet, it was too serious a post for that kind of moment. He is distracted after all, and may not have a chance to read it for a bit.

EDIT: If anyone has a fun idea for bringing up Drave making the paper IC, please do so. It would probably be even funnier than Drave just reacting to it on his own.
Jack VII
Probably going to have to be Amy. I don't think y'all really relayed your misadventures with the kids in enough detail for Jack or Grease to guess that the article is referring to you. Although, I guess either one of us could comment on the possible pedo-elf, particularly if we realize that it happened really close to Manuel's house, which would potentially give us another out with respect to Brandy, our real estate agent. I can see that text now...

ETA: Ugh, a public rally, in a public park, at night? There are not very many more descriptors you could add to that situation to make it a worse physical security situation.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 24 2014, 11:29 AM) *
ETA: Ugh, a public rally, in a public park, at night? There are not very many more descriptors you could add to that situation to make it a worse physical security situation.

Look on the bright side. It could be a Humanis rally. Although at that point, you aren't much concerned with the security of the rally so much as YOUR security...
Chrome Head
Just logged in, catching up.

Edit: I had a thought. Could we add extra space or extra sheets in the money recording file so that we can write down our possessions? It would be easier to keep track in a centralized space.

I was usually going back to the first page of OOC to edit my sheet there, but it's messy.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 24 2014, 02:37 PM) *
Just logged in, catching up.

Edit: I had a thought. Could we add extra space or extra sheets in the money recording file so that we can write down our possessions? It would be easier to keep track in a centralized space.

I was usually going back to the first page of OOC to edit my sheet there, but it's messy.

I have a google doc that I'm just updating with a "current inventory" sheet. I think Lobo is invited to it.

Speaking of- one of those armor vests is mine, right? I can't remember if I got one of the commlinks or not.

-DrZ
Jack VII
I'm open to whatever the group wants to do. I've been updating my sheet in the OOC thread. Once the adventure is over, I plan on updating my charsheet from that and any karma expenditures. But we could certainly either use the money Excel or just put together another excel file for gear.

As for the gear:
- Everyone paid for and purchased an armor vest (and we now have all four of them).
- Jack asked if anyone wanted a burner comm. Grease was the only one to affirm the request and pay for one, but Jack picked up a total of four just in case. He won't say anything if Amy and Overkill just grab them.
Chrome Head
I'd grab one and pay back for it. It's useful to have them spread out to each one of us, and it's definitely a team purchase.

IC, I'll wait for Overkill to get a chance to respond before posting anything else.
DrZaius
I've got a post coming in IG at ~11:30 AM, if we want to tick the timeline along a little.
Lobo0705
With regards to equipment, I think the easiest thing to do is what Jack said, update your character sheet on the first page of the OOC thread.

Then, at the end of the adventure, after we apply karma and stuff, we can update the permanent versions in the dropbox.

@Grease, once this current conversation is over (with Overkill regarding the Tribune article) we can skip 10 minutes or so IC so your call can come in.
DrZaius
As an FYI, I am going to have limited availability later in the week. I will be in the car most of Wednesday, and on the way back Thursday/Friday. Additionally, I may have limited access to the internet until Monday. Just want to keep everyone apprised so I don't throw too big of a wrench in things.

Thanks,
-DrZ
Jack VII
@Overkill: Do you want a commlink too? Amy and Grease are grabbing one. I'd just like to get all of the gear stuff sorted. Thanks!
Always Overkill
Yes, Drave will take one of the burners, and pay Jack the nuyen for it.

Its funny, I remember joking about something like this happening back when before I bricked the kid's link.
Lobo0705
When you guys want to leave, you can go ahead and write up the visit to the store to pick up the legal equipment (disguise kit, holster) - using normal pricing - i.e. 500 nuyen.gif for the Disguise kit, and either 150 or 175 nuyen.gif depending on whether Grease is getting a quick draw or concealable holster.

You can also write up the arrival at Schaefer's, Jill is working today.

If you need something else, please let me know smile.gif
Jack VII
Only thing I would add would be to have Amy and Overkill record a quick message to Jill as she is unfamiliar with Grease or Jack. We can show her the message then a screen cap of the guy from the Jackson murder for her to take a look at.

DrZ: Since Grease is driving and buying, do you want to cover the post?

@All: Are we agreed that a Disguise Kit should be a team expense? 125 nuyen.gif each?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 25 2014, 09:51 AM) *
Only thing I would add would be to have Amy and Overkill record a quick message to Jill as she is unfamiliar with Grease or Jack. We can show her the message then a screen cap of the guy from the Jackson murder for her to take a look at.

DrZ: Since Grease is driving and buying, do you want to cover the post?

@All: Are we agreed that a Disguise Kit should be a team expense? 125 nuyen.gif each?

I will cover the post. I was going to purchase the disguise kit myself, but as I am low on funds I'd appreciate everyone kicking in smile.gif

-DrZ
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Mar 25 2014, 09:58 AM) *
I will cover the post. I was going to purchase the disguise kit myself, but as I am low on funds I'd appreciate everyone kicking in smile.gif

-DrZ

I've got the disguise skill as well in a skillsoft (at a rather low level, but 4 dice might help on a teamwork test), so I would be more than happy to kick in. I'll wait for Overkill and Chrome to indicate if they are helping out or not. Amy is getting a bit low on cash as well.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 25 2014, 10:04 AM) *
I've got the disguise skill as well in a skillsoft (at a rather low level, but 4 dice might help on a teamwork test), so I would be more than happy to kick in. I'll wait for Overkill and Chrome to indicate if they are helping out or not. Amy is getting a bit low on cash as well.

I can post, and we can cover the nuyen shuffling later.

-DrZ
Chrome Head
Of course the disguise kit should be a team expense, and Grease can keep it anyway.
Jack VII
OK, assuming Overkill kicks in (he's comparatively flush with cash), I'll make the adjustments to the Expense Report when I get home.

Chrome: Can you tack this on to your post where Jack responds to you? I tried posting it, but DrZ had already posted the next scene. Trying to avoid it being out of order. Thanks!

Nodding to Amy, Jack replied, "That's prudent. I think we should put off the Thomas murder investigation then and just take the rest of the day off so you and Overkill can do whatever you need to do before tonight. Thomas was the one murdered with magic, so I think you'd probably be a good person to have when we take a look at the scene."
Always Overkill
Man, what a clusterpost.
Lobo0705
Should I have Jill give you guys a seat?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 25 2014, 09:42 AM) *
Should I have Jill give you guys a seat?

Sure, I am sure Grease could charm her into seating us in her section.
Lobo0705
It occurs to me that Amy's binding (and rest afterward) and Overkill's search for Lynx will take both of them about the same amount of time. (Depending on what force spirit she is trying to bind.)

Overkill, do you want to run that search?

Amy, what force and type of spirit are you going to attempt to summon and bind?

Will you be staying at Nic's the whole time? (how about Sam and Kevin?)
Chrome Head
Amy's summoning and binding a Force 5 Spirit, starting around 12:30. That will leave 2 hours to rest before going to the rally.

I hesitate between Water (who can assist with Illusion and has good powers) and Man (who can take a spell from my list, and has a very good range of powers itself).

I think I'll go with Man, with the Spellcasting(Ball Lightning) Optional Power. He'll be powerful in a serious fight, powerful in the astral, which is the main reason for insisting on having a bound spirit right now (I was lacking astral combat in our last encounter) and be able to assist in a variety of ways (Accident, Concealment, Confusion, Guard, Influence, Search).

Amy will possibly take an edge to reroll failed rolls on the binding test, in an attempt to get more services (or any at all).
Lobo0705
Ok - so,

Amy's Summoning test:
12d6.hits(5)=4

Spirit rolls to resist:
5d6.hits(5)=2

So Amy generates 2 net services, and has to resist 4DV drain

13d6.hits(5)=4

And does so.

Now she has to bind it. This takes 125 reagents, and 5 hours. She now makes a binding test:

12d6.hits(5)=3

Generating 3 hits. The spirit is going to roll 10 dice. Do you want to spend your edge on the Binding test?

ETA: Assuming she fails the binding, she will still have a Spirit of Man with 2 services that will disappear at sundown (which is around 7:30 PM).

If she succeeds at the binding, each net hit adds one service. So, for example, if the Spirit of Man rolled 10 dice and only got 2 hits, then Amy would have a Force 5 Spirit of Man with 3 services bound to her (2 from the original summoning test, and then an additional 1 from the binding test.)
Jack VII
This binding is vaguely terrifying! I can't wait to see the rolls!
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 25 2014, 11:17 AM) *
Generating 3 hits. The spirit is going to roll 10 dice. Do you want to spend your edge on the Binding test?

Yes, please.

ETA: Are you sure you keep the summoning services if you succeed at the binding test?

ETA2: Well it seems so... "Additional net hits beyond the first add to the number of services the spirit owes."

I find this to my advantage, but also quite dumb. Summoning is relatively risk free (compared to binding). You can chain summon until you roll well and have tons of services, and then attempt to bind that spirit. The risks are limited, especially on lower force spirits, but it can really pay off.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 25 2014, 12:20 PM) *
Yes, please.

ETA: Are you sure you keep the summoning services if you succeed at the binding test?

ETA2: Well it seems so... "Additional net hits beyond the first add to the number of services the spirit owes."

I find this to my advantage, but also quite dumb. Summoning is relatively risk free. You can chain summon until you roll well and have tons of services, and then attempt to bind that spirit. The risks are limited, especially on lower force spirits, but it can really pay off.

Ok, Using Edge to reroll 9 failed dice:

9d6.hits(5)=3

So 6 hits for Amy

Spirit rolls:

10d6.hits(5)=3

Netting 3 his (good thing you used edge smile.gif

So you will have 5 services from the spirit.

Resist 6DV drain

13d6.hits(5)=4

So you take 2 points of Stun damage
Chrome Head
Awesome. I knew edge was needed for a force 5 spirit, unless I roll something exceptional on the binding test. 10 dice can easily generate 3-4 successes, and reasonably hope to generate 5-6 once in a while.

Good thing is, Amy probably won't need to rest more than 1 hour to recuperate.
Always Overkill
Yes, I will do my search on Lynx. (This should be good...)
DrZaius
I'm cool with holding off our scene if there's anything we need to do IC for Overkill and Amy to catch up.
-DrZ
Jack VII
I think they're both basically out of it for the next six hours, give or take.
Chrome Head
Sorry for the screwed up timing. Jack can edit his earlier post considering the second message Amy sent beforehand in the timeline. I just felt like it made more sense in that order. I don't think it has a big impact on the game though.

Yeah we'll be out for a good bit now. You guys can move the story forward to catch up.
Lobo0705
Ok, for Overkill, here is the tricky bit.

The base time is 12 hours, (cut to 6 hours by his program), and a threshold of 6.

He is going to roll 10d6 base (5 Computer, 3 Int, +2 for Hot Sim).

He is -2 dice for Noise (being in the Warrens), -2 dice for being on the public grid, and his Noise cancellation is 3, so a total of -1 die.

He could hack to the local grid to avoid the 1 die penalty, but that would start his OS, and since it goes up by 2d6 every 15 minutes, that means I would have to roll 48d6, and if the total was over 40 (which by definition it would be), GOD would find him and dump him.

Do you want to use your Edge on this roll (before I roll to add 1 die and explode 6's)?
DrZaius
BTW, Grease has a base of 12 dice to etiquette in person (he smells so trustworthy!)

-DrZ
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 25 2014, 12:32 PM) *
Yes, lovely couple.
That made me cringe, haha.

The test overkill is attempting seems doomed to fail, edge or not, barring good dice. Can the extended test be resumed later? Otherwise, you might want to start it when you can put 12 or 18 hours into it.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 25 2014, 12:31 PM) *
Awesome. I knew edge was needed for a force 5 spirit, unless I roll something exceptional on the binding test. 10 dice can easily generate 3-4 successes, and reasonably hope to generate 5-6 once in a while.

Good thing is, Amy probably won't need to rest more than 1 hour to recuperate.

Speaking of which:

9d6.hits(5)=5

So you only have to rest for 1 hour and you will be fully healed of the stun damage.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 25 2014, 01:38 PM) *
That made me cringe, haha.

The test overkill is attempting seems doomed to fail, edge or not, barring good dice. Can the extended test be resumed later? Otherwise, you might want to start it when you can put 12 or 18 hours into it.

It isn't an extended test. It is a Simple Test - so if he fails, he has to start all over again (and would take a -2 die penalty for having to start over).

Basically, the difficulty in finding his info reflects that professional assassins don't like having their info out on the Matrix for just anyone to find. You have to know someone who knows them.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 25 2014, 12:39 PM) *
Speaking of which:

9d6.hits(5)=5

So you only have to rest for 1 hour and you will be fully healed of the stun damage.

For future reference, Amy has the Quick Healer quality, so she can roll 2 more dice.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 25 2014, 11:10 AM) *
Sorry for the screwed up timing. Jack can edit his earlier post considering the second message Amy sent beforehand in the timeline.

Not a problem, the edit only required adding an "s" to a word, LOL.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 25 2014, 11:24 AM) *
He could hack to the local grid to avoid the 1 die penalty, but that would start his OS, and since it goes up by 2d6 every 15 minutes, that means I would have to roll 48d6, and if the total was over 40 (which by definition it would be), GOD would find him and dump him.

One of the few explicit benefits of a TM in SR5... I'm going to convince you to like them one day, Lobo. LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012