Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Combat Effective
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Cain
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 4 2014, 02:22 PM) *
Yeah... I am a big fan of Champions. Maybe I should start a new campaign again. Been a while since the last one. Kind of out of practice, though. *sigh*
Never really had problems with Cosmic Power Pools, really (They were not my go-to power framework). Though you are right, they could get really broken really quick.

I had gonzo fun with Champions, but it's also my base example of a broken system. There were so many ways to create unstoppable characters, challenges ultimately boiled down to who mastered the rules more: the player, or the GM? The math and fiddliness was also daunting, which were both reasons I disliked BP and karmagen. Sometimes, games that are essentially competitive character-building exercises can be fun, but usually I tire of them quickly. In the long run, I prefer more substance.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 7 2014, 12:34 AM) *
I had gonzo fun with Champions, but it's also my base example of a broken system. There were so many ways to create unstoppable characters, challenges ultimately boiled down to who mastered the rules more: the player, or the GM? The math and fiddliness was also daunting, which were both reasons I disliked BP and karmagen. Sometimes, games that are essentially competitive character-building exercises can be fun, but usually I tire of them quickly. In the long run, I prefer more substance.

No such thing as an Unstoppable character in Champions, there is ALWWAYS a weakness, if you look for it. Fortunately, I was the Champions Guru, so no one really out mathed me in Character Builds (I usually had to assist players in building their characters anyways, so...). And since I was the GM, that worked out well. I agree that the math is daunting for a LOT of people, though. As for substance, you only get out what you put in. And since I tend to be a dig "substance" GM, the games I tended to run were chock full of goodness (most of the time). smile.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 7 2014, 07:14 AM) *
No such thing as an Unstoppable character in Champions, there is ALWWAYS a weakness, if you look for it. Fortunately, I was the Champions Guru, so no one really out mathed me in Character Builds (I usually had to assist players in building their characters anyways, so...). And since I was the GM, that worked out well. I agree that the math is daunting for a LOT of people, though. As for substance, you only get out what you put in. And since I tend to be a dig "substance" GM, the games I tended to run were chock full of goodness (most of the time). smile.gif

Well, yeah, that's rather the point. Champions games I've been in tended to devolve into competitive character building: the players would ruthlessly exploit whatever advantage they could. The GM would look for a weakness, and exploit it, to take out the problem character. Said player would come back with an even *more* broken build, designed to prevent the old loophole and exploit totally new ones. Lather, rinse, repeat. It got old after a while, but it was kinda fun while it lasted.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that some people were able to enjoy the substance of the game. Champions is full of potential, it's just that the build system really doesn't help things. The game breaks too easily.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 7 2014, 03:05 PM) *
Well, yeah, that's rather the point. Champions games I've been in tended to devolve into competitive character building: the players would ruthlessly exploit whatever advantage they could. The GM would look for a weakness, and exploit it, to take out the problem character. Said player would come back with an even *more* broken build, designed to prevent the old loophole and exploit totally new ones. Lather, rinse, repeat. It got old after a while, but it was kinda fun while it lasted.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that some people were able to enjoy the substance of the game. Champions is full of potential, it's just that the build system really doesn't help things. The game breaks too easily.

I have seen Champions game that run that way, to be sure and sadly. frown.gif
I had a great deal of Fun with Champions. Been considering doing it again. Probably won't though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012