Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would really happen to someone who uses Charisma as a dump stat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
So, you know how in role playing games, Charisma is usually the "dump stat" because it's the least important.

Upon reflection, I think that most RPGs don't enforce realistic consequences for the entire party having CHA 1, so to speak.

Imagine we're talking about a group of people we either want to hire, or entrust with some important task. Let's say a group of plumbers, or a group of lawyers.

CHA 1 would mean that these guys all give the worst possible impression. They are abrasive, don't seem responsive to your needs as the client, don't give the initial impression of being very competent, and give you an uneasy feeling if you are giving them something to do that is do-or-die.

You probably wouldn't go with them if you had a choice. In the context of Shadowrun, you would think that a team meeting this description would consistently get suicide missions or cannon fodder jobs, or at least stupid jobs that aren't that important. The whole party having CHA 1 you would think would actually create a situation where they would basically have no career and deliberately be put at risk more than they otherwise might.

Think about a Dungeons and Dragons type setting. If the heroes all give the impression of being drunken aggressive idiots because they all have CHA 3, you'd think that the people who send them on quests would basically use them as cannon fodder due to lack of confidence. Like, if I were the king, and a bunch of CHA 3 adventurers showed up, I might tell them to assault the goblin's cave or whatever, but since they seem like a bunch of idiots, I'd consider sending a second party after them to, say, assassinate the Goblin King while the first party is causing a distraction by assaulting the front gate, or something like that.

That would actually be an interesting D&D game. The PCs arrive in the Hall of the Goblin King to find that the King has already been assassinated. But by whom? No time to think as the cry echoes through the cavern, "The king is slain! Take revenge on the murderers!" Later it turns out the King sent his level 9 thief to do it because he thought you party was a bunch of louts.
KarmaInferno
Remember that Charisma in most games influences Intimidation checks.

So a person with low Charisma isn't particularly intimidating either. Perhaps they don't have a particularly impressive force of personality, or are otherwise not believable as a threat.

-k
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 27 2014, 05:06 PM) *

So a person with low Charisma isn't particularly intimidating either. Perhaps they don't have a particularly impressive force of personality, or are otherwise not believable as a threat.

-k

That's why in my interpretation, low CHA means they look like a lout or an incompetent. It doesn't even mean a crass badass, it means a guy who comes off as an idiot.
Ashmire
Well, I can tell you some of this, because I am a real person who is, effectively, min-maxed for Mental stats with Cha for a dumpstat---aka Asperger's/High-functioning Autism. We do, in fact, have an appallingly high unemployment rate( around 80% unemployed or underemployed) and there is a depressingly high likelihood that I will never find a husband or boyfriend( particularly as my particular form of low Cha manifests most strongly as inability to conform to the expected stereotypes of heterosexuality even though I am actually straight. Still, others have managed before me so it's not totally hopeless, just frequently frustrating. )
However, we also tend to be exceedingly GOOD at what we do, and there ARE certain people, even in our very shallow charisma obsessed society, who are aware that Cha dumpstat often really DOES mean highly optimized for certain jobs, and there are also for some reason certain people who, despite not having any particular social handicaps themselves, seem to see nothing wrong with my behavior and express surprise that anyone else does( although the ones who do see it get incredibly mean about it). I think the real situation might be too complex to model well in an RPG, because not all interactions are created equal. I was very happily surprised when I got very glowing performance reviews from my supervisor, specifically including favorable mention of my excellent "professional manner", at my recent student internship doing Medicaid coding audits, because it's a job where precise thinking matters more than being sociable.

I also think that linking Intimidate to Charisma in such a way that you can't do it without a high stat is actually incredibly stupid. I intimidate the hell out of practically everyone any time I'm not retreating into my shell completely. Most of the time, true, it is completely the opposite of my intent and does have negative consequences, but, not being a complete idiot, I have learned to "imitate myself" under circumstances where it IS helpful( scaring away bullies twice my size is a lovely feeling, and I have done it more than once). On some occasions I manage to imitate a more socially skilled person, but this is very tiring, I can't keep it up too long, and strangely seem to suffer memory loss as a consequence of it ( in an RPG, you could very well model this by making it some kind of readily available, but somewhat damaging or limited, spell or drug, I guess).

Bottom line, I already live in a world where I get penalized for being who I am unless I find my way into certain specific niches, I'm not sure there would be much point in playing an RPG with even harder consequences.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Ashmire @ Apr 27 2014, 09:42 PM) *
I also think that linking Intimidate to Charisma in such a way that you can't do it without a high stat is actually incredibly stupid. I intimidate the hell out of practically everyone any time I'm not retreating into my shell completely. Most of the time, true, it is completely the opposite of my intent and does have negative consequences, but, not being a complete idiot, I have learned to "imitate myself" under circumstances where it IS helpful( scaring away bullies twice my size is a lovely feeling, and I have done it more than once). On some occasions I manage to imitate a more socially skilled person, but this is very tiring, I can't keep it up too long, and strangely seem to suffer memory loss as a consequence of it ( in an RPG, you could very well model this by making it some kind of readily available, but somewhat damaging or limited, spell or drug, I guess).

Well, if it makes you feel any better, you sound like a unique and wonderful person.

Anyway, to address your point, the fallacy occurs because Charisma is a rather broad attribute. It covers both the stuff you need to get along in terms of friendly social relations, but also the force of personality needed to intimidate someone. These can be different attributes in real life but in the game they're mashed into one, since there isn't a "Force of Personality" stat versus an "Empathy" stat, for example.

As I see it, in the game, you wouldn't be harshly penalized for having low CHA unless the whole team has low CHA. As long as the team has like 2 people who speak for or represent the group things should be OK. They seem competent and the Johnson assumes they're the ones in charge and all is well. It would be better if everyone seemed competent and awesome, but the group wouldn't get totally marginalized unless everyone had CHA 1.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 27 2014, 06:06 PM) *

-k

In my experience, this tends to result in frustrated players taking steps to ensure the party in question, who isn't feeling particularly intimidated because they come off as bumbling, realizes that just because they're bumbling doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

Basically, it's like calling the bluff of a guy who's holding a gun to your face. Even if he's stuttering and looks like he's meek, he still has a frigging gun to your face.

Player Characters don't like having their bluffs called, especially when those bluffs are based by demonstrated intent to use violence if their bluff is called. In a game like Shadowrun or Eclipse Phase, they might decide to go above and beyond in the name of making an example to ensure that in the future, their threats are taken seriously.

Yes, I am guilty of this myself, and no, I'm not sorry, either.

[ Spoiler ]
Blade
Most of the people I play Shadowrun with rarely use Charisma as a dumpstat. Strength is more common and sometimes Logic or Edge. And even then, I've rarely seen players have an attribute lower than 2.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 28 2014, 03:09 AM) *
In my experience, this tends to result in frustrated players taking steps to ensure the party in question, who isn't feeling particularly intimidated because they come off as bumbling, realizes that just because they're bumbling doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

Basically, it's like calling the bluff of a guy who's holding a gun to your face. Even if he's stuttering and looks like he's meek, he still has a frigging gun to your face.

Player Characters don't like having their bluffs called, especially when those bluffs are based by demonstrated intent to use violence if their bluff is called. In a game like Shadowrun or Eclipse Phase, they might decide to go above and beyond in the name of making an example to ensure that in the future, their threats are taken seriously.

In game terms that'd be a circumstance bonus.

Possibly a big one. Better yet, it shouldn't be decided with a simple skill check. Play it out.

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012