Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR5] Matrix Attributes, Limits, and Programs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Trae
Hi --

I have a 5e decker, playing in SRM current season, and I've searched the faq, dumpshock, shadowruntabletop.com, general internet, etc. (and maybe my data processing score is just too low...) but do programs like encrypt, decrypt, etc... which add to matrix attributes also increase the limits for those matrix attributes?

So for example, my decker was only able to afford the Hermes Chariot, and I have assigned the 5 value to firewall, and I am running the encrypt program, which raises the firewall attribute to 6. Would six be the limit for firewall based tests?

I was playing 5-02 and the GM said that they do not, though I couldn't find a rules citation that says yes or no.

Kindest Regards,
Trae

DrZaius
QUOTE (Trae @ Jun 18 2014, 03:40 PM) *
Hi --

I have a 5e decker, playing in SRM current season, and I've searched the faq, dumpshock, shadowruntabletop.com, general internet, etc. (and maybe my data processing score is just too low...) but do programs like encrypt, decrypt, etc... which add to matrix attributes also increase the limits for those matrix attributes?

So for example, my decker was only able to afford the Hermes Chariot, and I have assigned the 5 value to firewall, and I am running the encrypt program, which raises the firewall attribute to 6. Would six be the limit for firewall based tests?

I was playing 5-02 and the GM said that they do not, though I couldn't find a rules citation that says yes or no.

Kindest Regards,
Trae

That was my understanding. Anything that adds to the attribute of the deck adds to the limits associated. There's an example on page 47 about how when using Accuracy, adding a laser site boosts the Accuracy from 6 to 7 on the example character's Shotgun. I would argue the same principle and intention would logically follow from the programs that add to matrix attributes.
DrZaius
Further,
Rather than list every single program running on a computer individually, the total effectiveness of these programs are described as Matrix attributes. These attributes are used as limits when performing Matrix actions and as part of your dice pool when defending against Matrix actions. There are four Matrix attributes: Attack, Sleaze, Data Processing, and Firewall (abbreviated ASDF). Most devices (including commlinks) have only two Matrix attributes: Data Processing and Firewall. Decks and hosts have all four, including Attack and Sleaze. Every Matrix action is categorized according to the Matrix attribute they fall under. For example, the Brute Force action is an Attack action, and the Hack on the Fly action is a Sleaze action. The Matrix attribute for an action serves as the limit for tests tied to that action.
and
Edit: This program makes editing easier with a smart interface that learns your style and can even give you suggestions. Add 2 to the Data Processing limit for any Edit tests made while this is running.
(emphasis mine)

Seems pretty cut and dried? Am I taking crazy pills?

EDIT: I'll add that the description for "Encryption" does not include the word limit, but instead just "Firewall Attribute". Seeing as how Edit is quite literally the entry DIRECTLY PRIOR, you may have to figure out a way of resolving this with your GM without questioning their language comprehension skills, or accusing them of being a Wild AI.
SpellBinder
When you look at the Matrix actions in the SR5 book, they're clearly labeling Matrix Attributes as a limit to the skill check. So any program or echo that changes these Attributes (like Encryption and Decryption) will also change the limits.
Trae
Thank you for the responses smile.gif

The GM is reasonable, I don't anticipate it being difficult to use these justifications in future scenarios.

It also helps my PC out quite a bit as it will be a long time before I can afford a more powerful cyber deck, with higher base attribs.

Kindest Regards,
Trae
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012