Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Justifies an Omega Order?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Rad
Pretty much what it says on the tin. I'm looking for ideas for a deep, dark secret so terrible that it could destroy a AAA megacorp if it ever got out. This is largely inspired by the quest in Dragonfall, where you're hired to blow up an Azzie research facility that's working on developing a form of ritual blood magic than can kill people through their relatives.

What I have in mind is for it to be some kind of secret Aztechnology project which either poses a massive threat to the rest of the Corporate Court, or is just so unbelievably heinous that even corps that mess around with bug spirits and blood magic will go "Damn omae, that drek's just wrong."

If you have an idea for another corp or some other type of secret I'm open to hearing about it, the main thing is that it must be something that has a significant chance to outright destroy a AAA if the secret is exposed. Ideally the megacorp-killing nature of the secret should be obvious to any shadowrunners who stumble across it. Not an easy thing, I know--given some of the scandals the corps have weathered--but I'm interested to see people's ideas of just where the line is in terms of corporate shenanigans.
binarywraith
Honestly, I can't think of a single thing they'd actually give an Omega Order for these days, after the shit Aztechnology's been allowed to get away with without even so much as sanctions.
Rad
Yeah, that's kind of why I was asking. I tried to think of something bad enough to be "holy shit, we could bring down a mega with this" level material, and came up empty.

Bear in mind, it doesn't have to be omega-order fodder. Maybe the information poses some other type of risk to the corporation other than getting their peers to stomp all over them with Thor shots.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Rad @ Jul 13 2014, 03:49 PM) *
What I have in mind is for it to be some kind of secret Aztechnology project which either poses a massive threat to the rest of the Corporate Court, or is just so unbelievably heinous that even corps that mess around with bug spirits and blood magic will go "Damn omae, that drek's just wrong."

In the Azzie pyramid, that's called the Quarterly review. nyahnyah.gif

No seriously.

If your department does not submit at least one world collapsing/war crime equivalent plan you get to play guinea pig for another department's plan.

If you have an idea for another corp or some other type of secret I'm open to hearing about it, the main thing is that it must be something that has a significant chance to outright destroy a AAA if the secret is exposed. Ideally the megacorp-killing nature of the secret should be obvious to any shadowrunners who stumble across it. Not an easy thing, I know--given some of the scandals the corps have weathered--but I'm interested to see people's ideas of just where the line is in terms of corporate shenanigans.

Have at look at Sacrifical Limb where the runners find out more about Ares and their bug research. But even if released, they would probably still weather it fairly much.

To get a full on Omega order it would have to be something that affected the Corps/ Corporate Court directly, undermining them or cutting into their profits significantly.

If Halberstam turned back up at a corp with daisy chained TM brains in jars to create an overwhelming force to subvert the Matrix might get someone's interest and the CC might shut it down so no one party had it.
EKBT81
IMO:

Out-of setting answer: Whatever the author considers fitting. wink.gif

In-Setting answer: Stuff that threatens to deeply upset the corporate world order.

What cases have been actually mentioned in fluff yet? IIRC the one against Art Dankwalther. Was Operation Reciprocity actually a full Omega Order? I'm not sure there.
Curator
anything to do with using live human subjects, mass killings/genocide of poor/condemned/particular/sick people to try to save face/gain property/cover something up, (meta)human genetic experiments, the gross stuff
Rad
Yeah, Reciprocity was kind of what set the bar so high. Sources vary on whether that was a full on omega order or not, but either way the corp weathered it relatively well, so this needs to be something worse than privatizing a nation's worth of corporate assets.

One direction I was thinking of was that (IIRC) Aztechnology is one of the main food suppliers for the 6th world--so something that involved introducing some kind of additive (retrovirus/nanites/awakened drugs/ect) that gave them some kind of hold over everyone that consumed their products could be a big thing. Since virtually everyone eats Azzie-made food products, that would mean messing with a lot of the other mega's wageslaves/consumers, which is sure to not go over well.

The trick is to figure out what the additive does that makes it such a threat. Mind control? Drug Addiction? Opening people to possession by blood spirits?

[edit]

QUOTE (Curator @ Jul 13 2014, 01:32 PM) *
anything to do with using live human subjects, mass killings/genocide of poor/condemned/particular/sick people to try to save face/gain property/cover something up, (meta)human genetic experiments, the gross stuff

Yeah, but that's "tuesday" for most megacorps.

[/edit]
Cynewulf
Constructing a giant laser under the surface of the moon, aimed at Earth or the Zurich Orbital, and calling it the 'Death Star'.
The part the Corporate Court gets annoyed at is the blatent trademark infringement.
Stahlseele
stuff like the ability to listen in to and to change the datastream in fibre optic cables.
because with that you have basically achieved world domination capabilities.
Sengir
The Corporate Court has a secret list of technologies which were lost during the first Crash and shall never be recovered, on the threat of an Omega Order:
- Remotely manipulating optical communication (possibly made moot in the course of Shadowplay)
- Core war programs (i.e, another crash worm)
- Destroying comm sats.

Being exposed is widely infiltrated by the Bugs would certainly also qualify -- what happened to the UB amounts to an Omega Order.
Cain
QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Jul 13 2014, 01:15 PM) *
What cases have been actually mentioned in fluff yet? IIRC the one against Art Dankwalther. Was Operation Reciprocity actually a full Omega Order? I'm not sure there.

A full Omega Order is all-out corporate war; IIRC Dankwalther was "just" justified use of tactical orbital weaponry.

Really, what justifies an Omega Order is politics. If you convince the Corporate Court that it's in their best interests, they'll order one. Exactly what you justify it doesn't exactly matter, it's politics and favors that will win the day.
Nath
Originally (in Corporate Shadowfiles), what makes an Omega Order is the way the penalty must be carried out rather than the act that prompted it.

The Corporate Court issues mandate to corporations to punish the offender with a fixed amount of damages. When a small corporation breaks the rules, any of the AAA corporation should be able to gather singlehandly enough assets to tear them down. Moving into the AA megacorporate league, it might takes two or more of the AAA to coordinate their efforts. And if the offender happens to be one of the AAA, then all of the other AAA corporations would be called. More especially, it requires those corporations to divest assets out of the range of their strict business interests for the common good. So they would try to minimize the risks and loss associated.
The Omega Order is a mandate twice open: the amount of damages that can be dealt is unlimited, and the corporations that may take part is also unrestricted. The point is not only to gather enough forces to take down the targeted corporation. It also avoids having only the handful of mandated corporations looting all key assets.

The Corporate Court can issue a "regular" mandate to all seven, eight, nine or ten AAA prime megacorporations to drive a corporation value to zero. They may even possibly issue a mandate to ten, twenty or thirty additional AA megacorporations to contribute. But the actual Omega Order is when every and any AA and AAA megacorporation is allowed to.
Actually, a large regular mandate could even be stronger than an Omega Order since it would nominally requires those corporations to contribute to the effort, while the OO is open.

However, that was how it was defined originally. Story-wise, a wide-reaching mandate or an Omega Order would have the same result, and the latter has a cooler name (and just has a name, to start). Since Shadowrun is, as a roleplaying game, story-driven, people expect Omega Order for the sake of dramatic showing.

Undramatically, in my opinion, the worst thing a corporation could do would be deprive any of its shareholders of their rights. Really. The whole system relies on the idea that shareholders retain their rights to vote and sell-out. Otherwise the whole system collapses. Megacorporations may have shareholders, but also are themselves the shareholders of their subsidiaries. They rely on those rules to have their own managers obeying, instead of seceding with their entire division to join the competition. Sure, you can go the illegal route and threaten shareholders to sell-out, or outright kill them. But the very fact Damien Knight or whoever heads the Shiawase family still have to deal with their rivals on the board, while number of plots still revolve about buy-out, suggest some red line stands.
Jaid
basically, to get an individual representative to vote in favour of an omega order, the cost of issuing the omega order must be less than the cost of not issuing it (not reminding people that the corporate court can just bomb you all to death does hold monetary value as does the cost of actually carrying out the punishment).

to get enough for a majority, then, you need to persuade a majority of representatives that the threat to their corporation's bottom line is greater than the cost of launching the omega order. anything less than that, it just isn't going to happen no matter how awful the things you're doing are. (alternately, you can also provide them with reason to believe that issuing the omega order is going to be compensated by you in excess of the cost of issuing the omega order - basically, it just has to make them more money to issue it than to not issue it)

Art Dankwalther didn't get a thor shot dropped on him because what he was doing was bad. he got a thor shot dropped on him because he was going to cost too many people too much money.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 14 2014, 05:57 AM) *
Honestly, I can't think of a single thing they'd actually give an Omega Order for these days, after the shit Aztechnology's been allowed to get away with without even so much as sanctions.

Not leaving out the yearly offering of cookies and milk to the great northern spirit of man and his horde of task spirits?
Shemhazai
Ghouls as a population reduction measure.
kzt
An omega order is the Corporate Court going to war with a major corporation. They will NOT go quietly. Zurich Orbital will be be the first thing that turns into a cloud of metallic confetti.
Sengir
QUOTE (kzt @ Jul 14 2014, 10:09 PM) *
An omega order is the Corporate Court going to war with a major corporation. They will NOT go quietly. Zurich Orbital will be be the first thing that turns into a cloud of metallic confetti.

If the Z-O went down so easily, somebody would already have done it...
Lindt
It survived the Crash Virus and a dedicated hacking force whos entire job was to drop it out of orbit. Its a tough old bird of a space station.
ShadowDragon8685
Killing a space station, if you have the resources and are willing to burn the bridges to do so, is quite easy. Launch a large number of missiles that will explode and scatter shrapnel in an intercept trajectory. DONE. Or the whole "Ford Americar moving at ten times escape velocity" trick. Also, lasers work quite well, even better in the vacuum of space than not, and there's no defending against them the way they might theoretically defend against a few projectiles with their own defense sats.

Killing it with HACKING is not quite so easy, but killing it PHYSICALLY? Quite frankly, I'm astonished that Z-O didn't go down the moment they declared an Omega on Fuchi.
Jaid
destroying the ZO station wouldn't really help you any in defending against an omega order. basically, for all intents and purposes, when the corporate court declares an omega order on you, it's because the big 10 declared war on you. the court itself is merely the ambassadors... it would be like the entire UN declaring war on you. you might blow up the UN building, but each member nation still exists, and you just made them all mad. that is perhaps *slightly* better than having them all mad and still with their intact communication lines, but you're still pretty much screwed beyond belief.
FuelDrop
Back in 4th I designed a surface-to-orbit AV missile that could be fired from any launcher and would home in on its target nearly perfectly. cost less than 10 grand per shot. [/tangent]

What would justify an Omega Order? Realistically, something that will cost all of the big 10 enough money that ANYTHING else is preferable. Think a Godzilla breed-and-release program, a doomsday organization with an actual shot at success, Hydra's plan in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, that sort of thing. For the Corporate Court, issuing an Omega Order is a risk that the world's governments (who still have real military forces) decide that the corps have finally crossed the line and get their asses into gear. It's not exactly a big risk, but it is a risk that the CC has no desire to take without a good reason.
kzt
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 14 2014, 08:28 PM) *
destroying the ZO station wouldn't really help you any in defending against an omega order. basically, for all intents and purposes, when the corporate court declares an omega order on you, it's because the big 10 declared war on you. the court itself is merely the ambassadors... it would be like the entire UN declaring war on you. you might blow up the UN building, but each member nation still exists, and you just made them all mad. that is perhaps *slightly* better than having them all mad and still with their intact communication lines, but you're still pretty much screwed beyond belief.

The CC is supposed to be a lot more then a few people meeting. ZO is stated to be actually critical to normal economic operations of the corps, particularly financial transfers between corps and preventing large-scale financial fraud. It goes first because it's just so darn easy and the chaos it creates opens other opportunities.

It's unlikely that you can defeat all the other corps, but you need to defeat them, you just need to convince them that you can really, really hurt them and they should really reconsider. For example, say after being hit with an omega order and (and post swatting ZO) Aztechnology 'reluctantly' uses a ritual magic attack to kill all C level and board of Horizon when they won't agree to "just get along together".
Jaid
and then you're also slitting your own throat, and demonstrating that you're too dangerous to allow to live. congratulations. you've just made yourself a target that they can't afford to not completely obliterate.
ShadowDragon8685
Jaid: They've already issued an order to exterminate you.

At this point, you have nothing whatsoever to lose by deciding to take them down with you. Swatting Z-O out of the sky and instituting the insane havok that will cause is just the beginning. Strategic and tactical strikes launched on vulnerable vital infrastructure (and when you're going all-in, the definition of what is and is not "vulnerable" skews quite a lot,) scorched-earth tactics, scorched-matrix tatics with the release of the worst cyberworms and viruses your cyberwarfare labs have created, full-scale biowar and astral warfare...

Really, the CC issuing an Omega Order is likely to kick off World War III. The national governments (and please do not make the mistake of thinking they are powerless, inconsequential, or (all) subordinate to a AAA Mega,) will get involved in very short order, because their own interests will inevitably be threatened because that vital corporate infrastructure you're targeting is also vital national infrastruture to them, too. You can't kill AZT without also killing Aztlan, and Aztlan won't take that lying down. Likewise, you can't kill Ares without killing the UCAS and quite probably large swathes of the CAS and NANs as well, and the UCAS (et al) won't take that, either. Declaring war on Horizon is tantamount to declaring war on CalFree, etcetera. And that's before the Great Dragons and Immortal Elves get involved to protect their interests.
Rad
Sounds good to me, part of the reason I was interested in this was that I wanted to create a scenario in which runners come across this information and have to weigh "Dude, we can take down a corp!" with "Dude, that would wreck everything forever, and just having this is likely to get us killed."

It's an excellent high-stakes "what do?" kind of situation. biggrin.gif

The hard part is coming up with a "corp killing secret" that's believable in-universe and immediately obvious as such.
Jaid
but why would your corporation even *have* matrix-crushing cyberworms, or stuff like that?

the corporations exist for the sole purpose of making money. there's no money in selling stuff that prevents you from making money. if you destroy the corporate court, *which is a major investment on your part in your efforts to make money*, you have just destroyed your own interests. see, there really *isn't* any motivation to take down everyone else with you. your corporation dies, you just go join a different one. the people at the top know that. and while they certainly aren't going to be thrilled about how much they lose from an omega order against their corporation, those people are *far* more likely to care about getting out alive and with as many of their assets intact as possible than they are about throwing a hissy fit and screwing the world over for everyone else too.
ShadowDragon8685
Jaid, please don't make the mistake of thinking that corporate employees are somehow distinct from their corporation, or are all rational, money-minded actors.

People don't identify themselves as "Bob Smith, I work at Ares." They identify themselves as "Ares citizen Bob Smith, and damn proud of it! Ares, hoo-rah!" They are far more than merely financially vested in their corporation. "Jumping ship" like you describe is tantamount to defecting from your country today. It does happen, but far more people are irrationally prepared to fight for their country (or company) than to jump ship like a coward.

The corps will invest in matrix-crushing cyberworms for the same reason they invest in goddamned nuclear weapons, standing armies, space-based weapon platforms, anti-space-platform weapon systems, astral defenses, physical defenses, etcetera. It's because they need those things to prevent the other corps and/or nations from running in, shooting the pissant rent-a-cops that "real" companies today have, and stealing all their shit, and at the highest level, it's to deter them from all banding together to do that with the "If I go down, I'm taking you with me!" mutually assured destruction thing.

And if you're not willing to deploy a MAD weapon if the other guy decides to aim for nothing less than your absolute destruction, then it's not really a MAD weapon at all.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Rad @ Jul 15 2014, 12:54 AM) *
Sounds good to me, part of the reason I was interested in this was that I wanted to create a scenario in which runners come across this information and have to weigh "Dude, we can take down a corp!" with "Dude, that would wreck everything forever, and just having this is likely to get us killed."

It's an excellent high-stakes "what do?" kind of situation. biggrin.gif

The hard part is coming up with a "corp killing secret" that's believable in-universe and immediately obvious as such.

Very little. Kicking off an Omega Order against one of the AAA megas is very much tantamount to NATO declaring a war of extermination against the Soviet Union at the height of the cold war. It will cause World War III, so about the only things that could possibly justify it would be the revelation that the corp has been completely taken over by hostile, alien entities, like Bug Spirits, or Horrors, or actual extra-terrestrial aliens; something to that effect.
FuelDrop
Corp-crushing secrets are going to be rare, and at least in theory are going to be so heavily protected that just knowing that the information exists will get you killed off by any means necessary. If your runners get hold of one somehow, their first thoughts should be 'oh crap we're all going to die oh crap!', not 'wow we could take down a megacorp with this!'

Now the fact is that any secret that runners leak by normal means is going to be crushed even faster than the runners in question. How would they get the word out in a way that isn't already used by crazy conspiracy theorists or else completely under the thumb of the big ten? Assuming they found a way, and the evidence was not disbelieved or discredited, what then?

It's also worth noting that the big ten don't really want to destroy each other. They've got a good thing going here, and wiping out one of their biggest rivals will upset the status quo in ways that may not benefit them. As a general rule they're going to play it safe rather than take such a radical risk, with a couple of exceptions *Cough Aztechnology Cough*. As a result, it's in everyone's best interest to keep any mega-corp destroying secrets from seeing the light of day.

So barring completely impossible to ignore evidence that Ares is mind controlling Bug Queens and using their bug spirit minions to take over the world, good luck finding something. Any evidence must be of an act that will upset the status quo worse than the Omega Order will. That's doomsday level stuff. anything else will likely be ignored or swept under the rug, possibly with a more covert retaliation from the court coming into play once the evidence is safely hidden away.
CaptRory
I kind of like a combination: Bug Spirits infestation combined with tainted food supply about to turn a few billion people into Rage Monkey Zombies maybe combined with some sort of planned Decapitation Strike using funky blood magic to take out most of the leadership across the world.
Jaid
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 15 2014, 12:36 AM) *
Jaid, please don't make the mistake of thinking that corporate employees are somehow distinct from their corporation, or are all rational, money-minded actors.

People don't identify themselves as "Bob Smith, I work at Ares." They identify themselves as "Ares citizen Bob Smith, and damn proud of it! Ares, hoo-rah!" They are far more than merely financially vested in their corporation. "Jumping ship" like you describe is tantamount to defecting from your country today. It does happen, but far more people are irrationally prepared to fight for their country (or company) than to jump ship like a coward.

The corps will invest in matrix-crushing cyberworms for the same reason they invest in goddamned nuclear weapons, standing armies, space-based weapon platforms, anti-space-platform weapon systems, astral defenses, physical defenses, etcetera. It's because they need those things to prevent the other corps and/or nations from running in, shooting the pissant rent-a-cops that "real" companies today have, and stealing all their shit, and at the highest level, it's to deter them from all banding together to do that with the "If I go down, I'm taking you with me!" mutually assured destruction thing.

And if you're not willing to deploy a MAD weapon if the other guy decides to aim for nothing less than your absolute destruction, then it's not really a MAD weapon at all.

the people at the bottom of the corporate ladder may feel like that. (well, okay, the people slightly above the bottom... the people dragged in from the barrens to do the stuff you don't bother hiring permanently for likely don't feel any loyalty either).

the people at the top are generally *at* the top because they care more about themselves. they worship the almighty nuyen, and don't really care one way or the other about their corp, except as it exists as a vehicle to drive their own success.

if people were always unwilling to work for other corporations, there wouldn't be any need for extractions.

i don't doubt for a second that there are people fanatical enough to pull the trigger if they're given the orders (though again, stuff that destroys their own ability to make money would not imo be developed; nuclear weapons were around before the corps basically took over all weapons research by several decades, the corps aren't responsible for that). but the people with the authority to give the orders? as a rule, they're more interested in their own gain than they are in taking everyone else down with them. oh, if it's absolutely certain that they're going to die, sure they'll give the order out of pettiness (or at least, some will). but this is corporate war. your enemy is out to make money, and you don't do that by burning your enemies to the ground, you do that by incorporating them into your own corporation. and you already know how to make your part of the business profitable (hopefully). you know the people there. you're a familiar face to the workers (which may be important if the wageslaves are indeed brainwashed into loyalty to their original corporation). and if you're part of a mega that's being chopped into pieces, it's incredibly unlikely that the corporation taking over has the personnel on hand to be able to afford to discard you entirely.

so really, while many corporate employees are loyal to their corp first... that kind of personality doesn't tend to become top-level executives.
kzt
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 15 2014, 01:05 AM) *
so really, while many corporate employees are loyal to their corp first... that kind of personality doesn't tend to become top-level executives.

Well, if you are talking about Azthechnology they tend to be charming, ruthless and totally self-confident sociopaths who are perfectly willing to kill their way of of a problem. Personally, if the situation requires it.
Jaid
QUOTE (kzt @ Jul 15 2014, 03:17 AM) *
Well, if you are talking about Azthechnology they tend to be charming, ruthless and totally self-confident sociopaths who are perfectly willing to kill their way of of a problem. Personally, if the situation requires it.

sure, but destroying the economy doesn't really fix any problems. it just makes more problems for everyone, including themselves.
Temperance
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 14 2014, 09:38 PM) *
Very little. Kicking off an Omega Order against one of the AAA megas is very much tantamount to NATO declaring a war of extermination against the Soviet Union at the height of the cold war. It will cause World War III, so about the only things that could possibly justify it would be the revelation that the corp has been completely taken over by hostile, alien entities, like Bug Spirits, or Horrors, or actual extra-terrestrial aliens; something to that effect.

That analogy only works if the Soviet Union was a member of NATO, which it wasn't. Great Britain or the US would have been a better choice there.

-Temperance
Sengir
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 15 2014, 06:23 AM) *
Jaid: They've already issued an order to exterminate you.

At this point, you have nothing whatsoever to lose by deciding to take them down with you. Swatting Z-O out of the sky and instituting the insane havok that will cause is just the beginning. Strategic and tactical strikes launched on vulnerable vital infrastructure (and when you're going all-in, the definition of what is and is not "vulnerable" skews quite a lot,) scorched-earth tactics, scorched-matrix tatics with the release of the worst cyberworms and viruses your cyberwarfare labs have created, full-scale biowar and astral warfare...

Really, the CC issuing an Omega Order is likely to kick off World War III.

Remember that Triple-As have fallen before, without the world ending. What does the head of some subsidiary have to gain from pushing the red button instead of simply handing over the keys to the competition?
kzt
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 15 2014, 07:46 AM) *
sure, but destroying the economy doesn't really fix any problems. it just makes more problems for everyone, including themselves.

Well, my personal expectation would be that "something bad" happens to ZO right before the vote. Darn, now everyone has to appoint new justices.
Nath
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 15 2014, 03:50 AM) *
Quite frankly, I'm astonished that Z-O didn't go down the moment they declared an Omega on Fuchi.
Quite possibly because there never was any Omega Order against Fuchi Industrial Electronics.

It almost happened to Aztechnology in 2048 (or actually did, depending on which author wrote the piece you're reading) when they had the Aztlan governmention nationalizing every foreign corporation assets without paying compensation (You Commies !!!).

It almost happened to Renraku in 2059 (but clearly didn't) when Fuchi Industrial Electronics brought evidence they were working with a hacker who had penetrated each of the Big Eight central hosts in 2057, and have been using his techniques to conduct large-scale industrial espionage.

But I know of no reference to an Omega Order against Fuchi.

QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 15 2014, 05:08 PM) *
That analogy only works if the Soviet Union was a member of NATO, which it wasn't. Great Britain or the US would have been a better choice there.
The United Nations Security Council may be a better example than NATO in this case.

When they established the United Nations Organization and the Security Council, the United States, United Kingdom, France, Soviet Union and China did not get permanent seats and veto power as reward for winning World War 2 (unlike Poland). Nor did they get it because they were to become nuclear powers in the following decades. They got it because they all were strategical behemoths (remember United Kingdom and France still had their colonial empires at that time). The veto power is effectively here to prevent the United Nations from ever voting any action against one of them. The line fo reasoning was that the "international community" acting together could impose its will by force on any other country. But attempting to do so on one of the Big Five would rather cause a new world war. So they put a built-in security to prevent such vote.

There is no veto power on the Corporate Court, but the line of reasoning is similar. See, the original Big Seven megacorporations did not open their rank to newcomers because they somehow thought Yamatetsu, Wuxing, Cross or Horizon somehow "deserved" it. On a basic level, megacorporations would have no reason to grant AA rating and extraterritoriality to the corporations they compete against, let alone upgrade them to AAA rating with a slice of Zurich-Orbital Gemeinshaft Bank benefits and a voice on the court. But still, they did so because those megacorporations have been growing too big to ignore.
What AA rating means is the corporation is too important for the world economy to let it depends on governments' political decisions, hence the extraterritorial privileges. The AAA rating means the corporation became so important for the world economy that its point of view must be defended on the corporate court, and its funding backed by Zurich-Orbital reserves.

An Omega Order overturns that. It's the Corporate Court deciding to destroy a corporation for which it previously considered that even mere governmental meddling would have been harmful to the economy at large, in a AA case. In a AAA case, a corporation who opinion was considered necessary to the ruling of corporate affairs, and who was given a cash flow in the billions of nuyen at the expense of the other AAA.
Cain
Guys, it's all about politics.

The reason Aztechnology will never have an Omega order issued against them is because they have enough political clout on the Corporate Court to avoid it. Sure, in theory they could do something awful enough to earn one, but in practice it'll never happen.

Others, though? Art Dankwalther had wealth equal to a good sized megacorp, and similar resources. What he didn't have was political clout with the court. So even though he wasn't a threat on the level of the bug spirits, they issued a kill order against him, because he didn't have the influence to stop it.
kzt
He also didn't have the defenses needed to make this tough. If you are going to have much of your military assets destroyed while attacking him, and this will require that you destroy most of Mexico city and accept the loss of pretty much everything belonging to everyone in Earth orbit, plus quite likely having someone destroy really costly parts of your company (like nuking your HQ and main R&D facility mid-morning) the cost-effectiveness changes.
Rad
Some interesting points there. Being corporations, there definitely would be some cost/benefit analysis involved in deciding whether or not to issue an omega order.

Still, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of the AAA megas seeing their rivals as "too big to fail." Power vacuums are a thing, and trouble begets opportunity to those who know how to capitalize on it. I think gaining AAA status is less about the other corps seeing you as necessary for the continued functioning of the global economy and more about gaining the financial and political clout to walk up to the big boys' table and convince them you belong there--or at least keep them from tossing you out on your hoop.

If anything, the fall of Fuchi and Cross show that the megas are perfectly happy to take down one of their own should the opportunity arise. Hell, three of the seven founding member of the corporate court have been bought out and absorbed by other companies.

In hindsight, getting an omega order is probably less likely than being bought out/taken over or otherwise crippled and dismantled. In theory, a sufficiently bad PR disaster could lead to a mega's collapse. The other AAA's would be happy to step in and snap up the market share that's being lost, and that would just keep snowballing until the company is broken up and absorbed by it's rivals.

Of course, it would have to be something pretty damn bad (and you'd likely need the other megas to be complicit in getting the word out) to do enough damage that the company couldn't recover in time to keep the sharks at bay.

I was trying to avoid posting too many details, for fear that my players might run across this--but frag it, I'm not sure I'm going to use this anyway:

My initial idea was to catch the players in the middle of a Horizon/Aztechnology shadow war, during the course of which they would uncover information that Horizon could use to bury the Azzies, should the runners choose to give it to them. Given the power of Horizon's PR machine, that doesn't strike me as too far-fetched. The problem is that, (as I understand it) Aztechnology is the biggest food supplier in the 6th world, so it's quite likely that billions could starve while the company sinks and the other AAA's fight over the pieces and try to step into the void.
Jaid
again, this is corporate warfare.

if aztechnology dies, it'll be because someone else is taking all their stuff. they're not going to burn their farms to the ground, they'll just take it over, one way or another. instead of the azzies selling food to everyone, it'll be whoever took their stuff.
ShadowDragon8685
Jaid - Aztechnology will not go down without a fight.

What are you not getting about this? This is a setting where corporations hire criminals to shoot employees of the other corporation right in the goddamn face for money.

This isn't corporate warfare as we know it today, this is corporate warfare where the "Warfare" is literal.

They will not "just take over the Azzie farms," because the Azzie guards will shoot them when they come to change the locks. And the harder they try, the harder the Azzies will escalate - or more likely, they'll escalate first because fuck those guys, like fuck we're going to let them just take our stuff and shoot us - and the Shit will be On.
Jaid
ummm... or not?

because the guy who runs the farm is a manager. not a general. and most likely, he doesn't have a ton of soldiers hanging around on the farm either, because they're all busy protecting places that are typical targets for corporate espionage, not a farm or a stuffer shack.

the aztechnology super secret research lab? yeah, they won't go down without a fight. the blood mage cabal they've got researching new ways to convert metasapient life into magical power? they probably won't go down without a fight, either. that aztechnology arcology? well... sort of. the security will probably fight, and any armed forces they may have will fight. and taking it over will probably suck, and inflict a lot of damage on it. but the average joe isn't going to fight, and there's a heck of a lot more average joes than there are soldiers in there.

but really, who's going to help the azzies if an omega order gets declared on them? everyone will be looking for mercenaries, and who do you think is going to find it harder to hire: the side with 9 megas, or the side with 1 mega that has been designated as a target by the other 9? the corps don't maintain huge standing armies, they maintain corporate forces (including some organizations that are essentially military), but most of it will be security. they didn't sign up to fight against military hardware. when the renraku arcology in seattle got totally screwed, renraku didn't have the military to take it back. the UCAS did.

corporations have armies. they don't have huge ones, because they don't need them most of the time and they're expensive to maintain. and even if they did, their army is going to be dramatically smaller than the armies of the other 9 megas combined. when they need armies, they're probably going to call up mercenary groups to fill in. and when it becomes obvious that aztechnology is not going to be around tomorrow, and that they'll be counting their blessings if they only face 9 times as many enemies if they're working for the azzies (bearing in mind that everyone is going to be busy doing their best to not be working for the azzies, so you can expect far more merc companies fighting against you than with you), the security forces will eventually be gone. and then, the managers of those various businesses are going to start folding. not every one of them. but way more of them will surrender (and hopefully get out of this mess with their life and their livelihood intact) than will mobilize for war.
kzt
Hmm, who might Aztechnology go to for soldiers? Somehow that whole Aztec in the name reminds of some country that (thanks to the the magic of PLOT) has a rather significant military. So I'm thinking that, just possibly, they might have immediate access to a whole lot of trained military units that are equipped with a the full spectrum of modern equipment.
ShadowDragon8685
As I mentioned earlier, declaring war on Aztechnology means declaring war on all of Aztlan.

Two entities. Lots of armed forces, lots of superweapons.

No winners, only survivors.
psychophipps
Another thing to keep in mind about the Azzies is that they're a corporation that took over the area where all the drug cartels come from. You think the cartels just rolled over when Aztechnology started stepping on toes and swinging their dicks around? So they are not only pretty tough militarily, but they have the capacity to deal with, and perhaps even out-evil, the Colombian and Mexican cartels that make the Capone organization look like Dudley Dooright.

I live right on the border. I hear stories all the time of finding 50+ bodies at a time missing their heads and hands (if they're lucky). People "stewed" in a burning 55-gallon drum of diesel for pissing off the cartels. These are some seriously psychotic motherfuckers and Aztechnology brought them to heel and probably learned a few of the more handy nasty tricks in the meantime. You fuck with Azzie and I fail to see even for a second where they don't quickly inform you of the tried and true, "Plata o Plomo". You take our bribes and work with us or we'll pump your bitchass full of bullets (again, if you're lucky).
Jaid
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 17 2014, 01:17 AM) *
As I mentioned earlier, declaring war on Aztechnology means declaring war on all of Aztlan.

Two entities. Lots of armed forces, lots of superweapons.

No winners, only survivors.

and does aztlan have their soldiers, oh, everywhere on the planet? does every stuffer shack come complete with a fire team of trained guards? does aztlan have any way of plausibly making that happen?

yes, they have an army. no, it isn't hanging out at the dairy farm waiting to send in an attack chopper at the next person that goes cow tipping.

aztlan itself is gonna get screwed pretty hard, because yes, they do have an army (and they're so deeply in aztechnology's pockets there's no way they'll say no).

but they kinda need that army. if they pull it away, what do you think happens? i almost guarantee the CAS invades (honestly, the CAS will probably invade even if they don't get pulled away, once open season is declared, just because they can). the yucatan stops being controlled. and so on.

so there will be heavy fighting in aztlan. that one area may get blown to smithereens. the rest of the world, where aztlan doesn't have troops stationed (mostly because as far as i can tell, the list of nations that like aztlan and would trust them with an army in their country are as follows: aztlan, aztechnology). however, i consider it *slightly* unlikely that aztlan would be the location of the food supply of the entire world, so i expect that the rest of the world will get along just fine as far as food is concerned should aztlan be invaded. it'll suck for the people in aztlan, but then, war generally does.

having said that, if you're looking to create a moral dilemma, it really isn't necessary to threaten the entire planet with food shortages. as has been noted, war with aztechnology is going to mean war with aztlan, and that is going to result in the deaths of a lot of innocent people who are not blood mages and such (also a bunch of blood mages, and some truly despiccable people who the world will probably be better off without, but mostly innocent people).
DeathStrobe
Isn't it implied that the reason why Azlan has such a good harvest is because of blood magic? I mean, what good would taking Azlan's farms without the knowledge of blood magical crop growing do anyone?
Cain
It's not just military might. If Aztech were targeted, they wouldn't just fight with weapons, they'd fight with money and influence as well. Dankwalther was dangerous not just because he had money, but because he was willing to take a huge financial loss to take down a corporation. Aztech isn't willing to do that, but if they had nothing to lose, they could easily change their minds.

That much money and control over a major government means that they have power players the world over who owe them favors. Governments might be second string powers in Shadowrun, but they do have enough power and ability to make life difficult for megacorps, even AAA's and the Court. They're also holding onto IOUs and bonds for many other corps and governments, which they could call on in case of an emergency. Power is a lot more than how many guns you have, it's about how many people will do what you say-- and in the case of any AAA mega, that's a lot.
Jaid
if an omega order is issued against you, i'm pretty sure you *lose* a lot of that power.

you are going to lose 9 against 1. if the people you're trying to apply leverage to just sit and wait a bit, not only will you no longer be able to apply leverage to *anyone*, but they'll probably either no longer owe that debt to anyone (because the entity they owed it to no longer exists), or they'll owe that debt to the people you're asking them to go to war with.

not to mention that organization you're trying to call in debts from? odds are good that the other 9 megas are also trying to call in debts too. and their reach is just as long as yours.

and no, so far as i'm aware there is nothing implying aztlan has particularly amazing harvests because of blood magic. the amazon is regrowing at an unnatural rate because of blood magic, but that would be amazonia doing that, not aztlan.

in fact, so far as i am aware, aztlan isn't even particularly known for food production at all. the place is actually so heavily industrialized that air pollution is a major problem, which suggests to me a focus on a rather different sort of industry.

aztechnology controls a lot of food production. not aztlan. and while those two organizations have very close ties politically, geographically aztechnology is all over the world. the notion that most of the world's food production is done in one physical location is absurd; the transportation costs alone would mean that anyone setting up food production near, say, china and india, the areas of the world with the largest population (and therefore the greatest demand for food) would instantly have a massive advantage over anyone trying to ship food in from the other side of the world, because transportation isn't free. but if, for the sake of argument, aztechnology was going to put all the food production of the world in one place (and somehow still managed to not be crushed in the markets by other corporations that produce food locally), that location would be a place with ideal growing conditions and extremely low living costs (because that correlates to places where extremely low wages are standard). last i checked, aztlan is a very dry climate, not particularly known for the fertility of the land, and is quite heavily industrialized and modern.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012