Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not really Gaming related, but.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
hyzmarca
My dad wasn't exactly into games. I tried to get him to play with me. He'd give it a shot sometimes, but would quickly lose interest and give up. Still, it's the effort that counts. And he made a lot of effort. He was the one person I could always rely on. The one person who never let me down.

For most of my life it was just me and him vs the world. I don't have many offline friends, he didn't either. A lot of people knew him and respected him, but he wasn't really close to anyone other than me. We were okay with that. We'd marathon Buffy together sometimes. We'd watch like the entire series in one sitting, with breaks to sleep and nothing else. That took about a weekn to power through a hundred hours worth of television. It was grand and glorious. It's been years since we did that.

On Tuesday June 24 2014 my father started gasping for breath and told me to call 911 because he couldn't breath. He was standing and walking when the ambulance arrived, but his heart stopped almost immediately after the paramedics got him in the back. They performed CPR for about 15 minutes and gave him drugs that eventually restarted his heart.

For three weeks he was stuck in a hospital bed, completely unresponsive. I tried to make up for lost time in recent years. I watched the Indiana Jones marathon on Spike with him. I spent about six hours a day in his hospital room. Which was pretty pointless because he wasn't aware of anything but it made me feel a little better. Saturday I told them to remove the breathing tube.

He was able to breathe on his own for about 10 hours. I had hoped to be able to take him home this week. It would have been difficult, but my local Hospice would have provided medicine and support free of charge. On around 3 AM Sunday morning, while I was asleep his heart stopped for a second time.

His nurse tried to contact me when his heart rate began dropping but I left y phone on charge in the living room. Which was probably a good thing in hindsight. I would have told them to put the tube back in and I knew he didn't want to continue living like that. I just didn't want to lose him.

He wasn't the best dad in the world. Not the richest or the smartest. But he was mine and I wouldn't want any other.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 14 2014, 06:45 PM) *
My dad wasn't exactly into games. I tried to get him to play with me. He'd give it a shot sometimes, but would quickly lose interest and give up. Still, it's the effort that counts. And he made a lot of effort. He was the one person I could always rely on. The one person who never let me down.

For most of my life it was just me and him vs the world. I don't have many offline friends, he didn't either. A lot of people knew him and respected him, but he wasn't really close to anyone other than me. We were okay with that. We'd marathon Buffy together sometimes. We'd watch like the entire series in one sitting, with breaks to sleep and nothing else. That took about a weekn to power through a hundred hours worth of television. It was grand and glorious. It's been years since we did that.

On Tuesday June 24 2014 my father started gasping for breath and told me to call 911 because he couldn't breath. He was standing and walking when the ambulance arrived, but his heart stopped almost immediately after the paramedics got him in the back. They performed CPR for about 15 minutes and gave him drugs that eventually restarted his heart.

For three weeks he was stuck in a hospital bed, completely unresponsive. I tried to make up for lost time in recent years. I watched the Indiana Jones marathon on Spike with him. I spent about six hours a day in his hospital room. Which was pretty pointless because he wasn't aware of anything but it made me feel a little better. Saturday I told them to remove the breathing tube.

He was able to breathe on his own for about 10 hours. I had hoped to be able to take him home this week. It would have been difficult, but my local Hospice would have provided medicine and support free of charge. On around 3 AM Sunday morning, while I was asleep his heart stopped for a second time.

His nurse tried to contact me when his heart rate began dropping but I left y phone on charge in the living room. Which was probably a good thing in hindsight. I would have told them to put the tube back in and I knew he didn't want to continue living like that. I just didn't want to lose him.

He wasn't the best dad in the world. Not the richest or the smartest. But he was mine and I wouldn't want any other.

I'm very sorry for your loss and humbled that you chose to reach out to the members of this community. It's good to hear from you again, although I regret the circumstances.
mrslamm0
frown.gif I'm sorry for your loss.
Tanegar
My condolences, sir.
pbangarth
My father was the only one in my family, the extended family, who made any attempt to speak to me on my terms rather than condemn me for not being like them. One of the biggest grins I ever saw on his face was the first time I beat him at chess.

He was 62 when I was born. 82 when he died. I was holding his hand when he passed. My eyes are tearing up as I write this.

Yeah, he was my imperfect father. I feel for you, hyzmarca.
nezumi
I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing.
Critias
My condolences, Hyzmarca. I lost mine a long time ago, but I still remember how much it hurts. If it's any help, it...it doesn't really "get better," I guess, but the loss dims down a bit. It gets dull instead of sharp. I'm glad that you had those good times with him, and built up your share of memories. He sounded like a good guy, and a fun dad, and I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP.
DarkSoldier84
Know that your father now occupies his seat in Valhalla, where he may battle by day and feast by night. Raise many glasses in his name, for he will do the same for you.
Glyph
My deepest condolences, hyzmarca.
X-Kalibur
My own father has been in poor shape recently, you have my sympathies but I hope you're able to find peace in it all.
Critias
Best of luck with that, X. I hope he cruises through the rough patch and things even out.
fistandantilus4.0
"Condolences" never seems to do it justice. I'm sorry for what you've lost. We all lose people and have that empty void that we wonder how we're ever going to fill again. Try to remember that you were the greatest thing he ever did and be proud, be grateful, and celebrate him as much as you can. He sounds like a champ, a hell of a Dad, and a good man. I'm sure he'd be proud of your devotion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012