Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crossfire
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Iduno
I tried searching, and didn't find a topic on the Shadowrun Crossfire deck building game. Has anyone tried it? If so, what did you think?
Redjack
Some friends picked it up at Gen Con and we played it last Saturday night.
I would say the rules are a bit confusing, but we worked our way through it. It was all good friends so we had a good time in any case.
pbangarth
Just picked it up. Hope to try it out with friends soon.
pbangarth
I haven't played yet, but I've gone through the rules and have some initial impressions.

Play looks like it will be fast-paced. Freaky things come out of nowhere and fun things happen as cards are flipped. The proposed play length of half hour to an hour will be just fine, especially for my wife who doesn't like the length of role-play sessions.

The rules look fairly straightforward, though it took a minute or two to figure out that the "basic" cards referred to in the parts inventory are actually "basic black market" cards.

The game really makes quick runs and efficient play important, as compounding Crossfire cards get very nasty if the team takes too long.

It seems targeted to be best for four players, though I may be satisfied with the mods for fewer players once I try them.

It is clearly designed for add-on cards, upgrade stickers, etc. To be expected. When I bought the game I got a special runner card as a bonus. Probably more of those will come, as well as more mission cards.

The upgrade mechanism, stickers that go onto the runner card, will preclude upgraded runner cards from being used by others. So, will we have to buy stocks of runner cards to allow for different groups to play? I suppose pen and paper runner sheets would work, but .... a hefty game price for non-reusable, integral cards like that.

More later.
pbangarth
Oh, man, it's hard to win that 1 player extraction mission!

The video on the official Crossfire website of some of the developers playing a game is useful, particularly in pointing out that a set of blackmarket cards played on one obstacle creates a pool of points of different types of damage from which the ordered list of levels of damage the obstacle requires can be drawn. The blackmarket cards themselves don't have to be used in order. The examples in the rulebook don't show that.

That makes the game a touch easier.
Sengir
Are the rules available online (like FFG does)?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Sengir @ Sep 23 2014, 03:41 PM) *
Are the rules available online (like FFG does)?

Yes, HERE.

Or maybe better, HERE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012