Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sid Meier's Sword of the Samurai
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
Holy damn. I have not had a video game get me more pissed off in like the past 5 years. I've been playing Sid Meier's Sword of the Samurai from GOG.com.

Anyway, playing on the easiest level, since I'm just getting used to it, everything in the game is really really easy, except for the one on one duels.

What infuriates me is how if you "practice kenjutsu" I can win, but the moment you have a battle that counts, like when someone is breaking into your castle to kidnap your relatives, I can never win. For the first time in years I rage quitted and had my guy commit seppuku.

Furthermore there is no way around the dueling part of the game. I tried to retaliate against the guy by marching my armies on this territory. I killed his army, but for some reason I couldn't burn down his estate and kill him, which is sort of the point of all that. I tried to sneak into his castle and kill him, but I just ended up fighting a duel against him; you can't kill him in his sleep.

Basically, all of the other mini games, including field tactics and group melee, are easy...trivial even. But you just hit a wall with the damn duel mini game. Even with my kenjutsu skill level maxed out. What the flying fuck.

Also, for some reason, it never seems to work when I block in the duel mini game.

Somehow I have gotten inordinately torqued over this. This game has managed to piss me off more than any other Sid Meier game, even the later Civ games that are retardedly hard.

EDIT:

ZOMG WTF RARRAHGGRHHHHHH:

Dueling is probably the easiest part of the game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/915698-sword-of...urai/faqs/37891

WTF why is the FAQ writer saying this is the easiest part of the game??????
Stahlseele
Probably because he nas not gotten old and complacent as you have? O.o
*runs for his life* on the other hand, maybe running is the wrong idea here, i should probably just stand and ask you for a duel seeing how you hate it so much nyahnyah.gif ^^
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 14 2014, 05:08 AM) *
Probably because he nas not gotten old and complacent as you have? O.o
*runs for his life* on the other hand, maybe running is the wrong idea here, i should probably just stand and ask you for a duel seeing how you hate it so much nyahnyah.gif ^^

Hah! Better watch out, I used to practice renaissance martial arts. My swordsmanship in real life is better than how it is in a video game, which is somewhat ironic.
ShadowDragon8685
The game came out in 1989. The guide you linked was written in 2005.

I can't help but wonder if there isn't some kind of hardware-related shenanigans going on, like the way if you tried to emulate the original Space Invaders on a modern PC, it would be over in a nanosecond.
X-Kalibur
Actually, if you were simply emulating it, you wouldn't have a problem if you did it right, because you should be running it under operant conditions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012