http://inthekillhouse.com/doorkickers/

I just got Doorkickers from Gog.com. I am having a blast. I feel like it's the spiritual successor to SWAT 2, with more realism and modern equipment.

You have characters who level up but who can also be perma killed in campaign mode. You can also train your team without risk in single missions, where dead people aren't really dead, as in training.

It's unforgiving. Last night I played a campaign and most of my team survived. Tonight I played the same one and my whole experienced team got permakilled.

I am really enjoying it though. I feel like I've waited years for this game.

It's real time, but you can plan extensively beforehand and execute an entire mission on pre-planned actions. It reminds me of the old Rainbow Six games. You can also wing it and control individuals one at a time using the mouse. The controls are pretty intuitive for the most part although I did have a small amount of frustration getting up to speed.

There's lots of shotguns, carbines, handguns, SMGs, tactical aids, hooligan tools, armor, and so on.

The game does make me mentally tired though after an hour or two, as it requires care and careful play.