Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sunless Sea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
Hey folks,

I see this promotion of Sunless Sea on gog.com: http://www.gog.com/game/sunless_sea?utm_so...86a143b5016901f

It sounds really good from the description! Like some open ended role playing and exploration with random elements. It seems to me like a game I could relax with in the evenings while sipping a beer.

But there are no reviews. Any word or opinion on if it is worth purchasing?
Wounded Ronin
God fucking damn it. Most frustrating game known to man!
Sendaz
Details?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 14 2015, 07:32 PM) *
Details?

I've recovered enough to write them now. smile.gif

Basically, this game has some aspects that are utterly charming and awesome, which are enough to draw you in, but then punitive aspects of the game are a bit like hitting a rotten core at the heart of a juicy apple.

Amazing aspects:
1.) Great atmosphere
2.) Creative, awesome storytelling. Like choose-your-own-adventure versions of the Weird Tales of yore. Memorable characters, good writing.
3.) Open ended gameplay. No railroading for the most part.

Rage-inducing aspects:

1.) Crazy punitive-ness

For some reason they made the game extremely punitive. You have to do a tremendous amount of grinding to obtain basic consolidation of resources, such as the ability to pass certain resources on to your next character should your current one be killed. Although there are ways to mitigate it to some extent, every time you go on a voyage there is a significant cost in supplies in fuel.

Supplies cost 20 echoes, fuel costs 10 echoes per unit, whereas the most profitable item you can reliably purchase and then resell in London is Darkdrop Coffee, at 38 echoes for purchase and 44 echoes per resale. So consider how your profit margin is quite low versus your supply costs per cargo hold unit. And you can only make this kind of marginal trade once you've sailed all over the map in order to discover the port that sells the Darkdrop Coffee.

So basically you have to invest possibly dozens or more fuel units sailing all over the place to discover places that let you make a tiny profit before you can even begin to very slowly get ahead in the game, and have the resources to even not start completely over if your character is killed. Consider you need at least 1200 echoes profit after refueling, repair, and resupply costs to even get to the point where you can save some of your resources should your character die, and even then, you still need to re-visit London maybe 5 or 6 times and invest an Artifact, a Zee Story, or a Memory of Distant Shores in your offspring in order to gain a Scion. Imagine the hair-pulling rage if you've almost gotten there and then your guy dies.

Which brings me to my next point: sudden death. They tried to make the game about discovery and risk taking. Thus you are incentivised every time you find a new port and when making risky explorations you have a chance of finding a relatively valuable resale item (take a big risk and maybe you can get a 50 echo profit on selling the item instead of 6 like on a Darkdrop Coffee). However, if you don't know exactly what the potential consequences are of what you're doing, you can suddenly die by accident. For example, if you accidentally sail off the north edge of the map, the game takes a way a whole bunch of supplies and teleports you to the part of the map that is almost diametrically opposite to where London is. If you weren't really well supplied in the first place that means you're pretty much fucked. If you stumble into a random encounter with the numerous extremely powerful monsters you can also be killed really easily as well.

Even if you aren't killed there are huge penalties the game inflicts on you as well. If Terror maxes out, which constantly fills up as you're sailing around, you have a chance of getting a Game Over right there because the crew mutinies, but if you are lucky and survive, your lose most of your crew, and then for some reason your Iron attribute permanently decreases a lot. So your guns suddenly do noticeably less damage for some reason even if you get more sailors later. This is an attribute you have to raise 1 point at a time on a 100 point scale so it's a huge loss. And then if you have less than half crew, your boat moves at half speed, so you basically soak up Terror even faster and burn through fuel and supplies less efficiently.

Honestly sometimes I felt like I was playing a hentai game or something in terms of how punitively they designed it.

I think their idea was that you'd have a lot of characters go out and die or go insane or whatever and that they were going for an HP Lovecraft feel with that. But the problem is that what this means at the end of the day is a lot of repetition and memorization of where resources are, i.e. metagaming in order to get ahead. There are great stories in this game but I feel like I am distracted from them or fail to keep track of them in my mind because I'm so focused on trying to get a little bit of resources to stay afloat. The game has a bunch of ship upgrades but in all the time I've been playing I have only been able to afford one. I'm still using the starting boat almost vanilla.

Indeed, this is one of those games where I think the experience is better if you cheat. Either by looking up all the info on the internet ahead of time and planning your voyages based on this info, or if there were some way to cheat and raise your attributes to artificially high levels (there probably is), or by changing the payout rates and profits on things you do to double, I think any of these would actually make the game more entertaining.

I am all for a good challenge, but they took it too far in this game and, heh, missed the boat.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012