Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can agents be run on a Commlink?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Oracle
Hi everyone! I found the SR5 rulebook to be a little bit unclear on this. Can an agent be run on a Commlink, or do you need a full blown deck for that? Thx for your help!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Oracle @ Mar 16 2015, 07:11 AM) *
Hi everyone! I found the SR5 rulebook to be a little bit unclear on this. Can an agent be run on a Commlink, or do you need a full blown deck for that? Thx for your help!

If I remember correctly per RAW, Comlinks are not actually capable of running any programs at all... Nope, not even the common ones. So that would eliminate the Agent completely. Pretty sure that most just ignore those flawed rules, though. smile.gif
hermit
So it's impossible to edit text or graphics, per RAW, on a commlink now?
Oracle
That's where the difference between "Common Programs" and "Hacking Programs" is. Common Programs can be run on Commlinks. But Agents aren't listed in any of those two categories...
Lobo0705
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 16 2015, 09:33 AM) *
So it's impossible to edit text or graphics, per RAW, on a commlink now?

No - you can do that with a commlink. That is a Dataprocessing action, which commlinks can do. The only thing you can't do are Attack or Sleaze Actions.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 16 2015, 08:10 AM) *
No - you can do that with a commlink. That is a Dataprocessing action, which commlinks can do. The only thing you can't do are Attack or Sleaze Actions.

You just cannot run any programs on them... smile.gif
Oracle
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 16 2015, 04:56 PM) *
You just cannot run any programs on them... smile.gif

Do you have any rules reference for that?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Oracle @ Mar 16 2015, 09:47 AM) *
Do you have any rules reference for that?

Indeed...

Shadowrun 5, Page 221
A commlink is combination computer, smartphone, media player, passport, wallet, credit card, Matrix browser, chip reader, GPS navigator, digital camera, and portable
gaming device. And possibly a few other things, if you’ve got a really nice one. It’s got all of the necessary software already loaded, but unlike a cyberdeck it has no space for cyberprograms or other hacking tools.

Shadowrun 5, Page 243
Programs (technically cybeprograms if they’re for the Matrix) are files you can run on your deck.

Shadowrun 5, Page 246
Agents are autonomous programs that are rated from 1 to 6. Each agent occupies one program slot on your deck.

Pretty self explanatory, really. Programs are not for Comlinks, as ludicrous as that sounds. That includes Agents. smile.gif
Smash
This is exactly the kind of semantic argument that makes me wonder what's going on with shodowrun players that they are all simulationists.

It think the rules are pretty clear that it's referring to 'cyberprograms' being the kind of stuff used by hackers for the purpose of the game. You're not meant to take that to mean that it can't run software.

It is quite possible to have a rule that stops you running hacking related software but not common software like browsers, word-processors, etc. It doesn't have to be all or none.
Jaid
QUOTE (Smash @ Mar 16 2015, 03:46 PM) *
This is exactly the kind of semantic argument that makes me wonder what's going on with shodowrun players that they are all simulationists.

It think the rules are pretty clear that it's referring to 'cyberprograms' being the kind of stuff used by hackers for the purpose of the game. You're not meant to take that to mean that it can't run software.

It is quite possible to have a rule that stops you running hacking related software but not common software like browsers, word-processors, etc. It doesn't have to be all or none.

those aren't considered programs in game terms. those are just part of the operating system, essentially.

programs don't let you perform matrix actions. programs let you perform matrix actions more effectively, frequently by increasing a limit, providing a straight-up dice pool bonus, or modifying what a check can do (for example, by increasing the matrix damage you deal)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Smash @ Mar 16 2015, 02:46 PM) *

And yet you are completely wrong in your assessment here.

PROGRAMS are for DECKS ONLY by the RAW. YOU DO NOT NEED PROGRAMS to perform Matrix Actions (Which comlinks can do just fine without any Programs). Comlinks come loaded with everything they need to run the Matrix. Says so right in the 1st Quote I provided. (SR5, Page 221). Go look at it again and you will see that it is there. Here, let me quote it for you again... smile.gif

Shadowrun 5, Page 221
A commlink is combination computer, smartphone, media player, passport, wallet, credit card, Matrix browser, chip reader, GPS navigator, digital camera, and portable
gaming device. And possibly a few other things, if you’ve got a really nice one. It’s got all of the necessary software already loaded
, but unlike a cyberdeck it has no space for cyberprograms or other hacking tools.

That being said, however, I think many people allow comlinks to run Common Programs (with slots equal to half the DR). It does not break the game, afterall. smile.gif
Voran
Sorry to bump an older thread, but I'm reacclimating myself to the system. In SR4 was it that they made Commlinks basically cyberdecks with all the related bells and whistles, but now in SR5, they moved back to 'commlinks are commlinks' and 'cyberdecks are back to being cyberdecks"?
SpellBinder
Yup. Commlinks are nothing but a glorified cell phone as of 2075/01/01 and cyberdecks are magically back in the hands of hackers deckers after having gone the way of the dinosaur after Crash 2.0 in 2064.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012