Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: War. War never changes.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Stahlseele
Fallout 4 Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4
Damn it, the graphics are good and all, but that shit looks more like the last of us than it does like Fallout <.<
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 3 2015, 07:15 AM) *
Fallout 4 Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4
Damn it, the graphics are good and all, but that shit looks more like the last of us than it does like Fallout <.<

I've heard from the grapevine that you are stuck with a male main character because of voice acting. I seriously hope this is false or they think to rectify it.
Stahlseele
That'd be a serious decrease in character customizeability, something which has been a key feature of the fallout series from the beginning . .
And as such, i do hope that you are wrong about it, but i would not put it past them <.<
Iduno
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jun 4 2015, 09:25 PM) *
I've heard from the grapevine that you are stuck with a male main character because of voice acting. I seriously hope this is false or they think to rectify it.

Isn't that why the main character from a lot of games never speaks (or at least is not voice acted)? So you can be whoever you want: any gender, ethnicity, have any accent, etc.? It seems strange to spend the extra effort (and time and money) to reduce freedom. Especially in a first person game that is supposed to get you invested in being the character.

X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Iduno @ Jun 5 2015, 07:14 AM) *
Isn't that why the main character from a lot of games never speaks (or at least is not voice acted)? So you can be whoever you want: any gender, ethnicity, have any accent, etc.? It seems strange to spend the extra effort (and time and money) to reduce freedom. Especially in a first person game that is supposed to get you invested in being the character.

That is precisely why. It seems an odd choice for both Fallout and Bethesda, both of which have long since held customization of the character in high regard.
bannockburn
It seems even odder to instantly lend credence to rumours that appear on day 1, after the only media we have seen is a single video with a man at the end.
Let me remind you, that all the promotional material for the canon vault dweller always made them male before. This did not limit your character creation options.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jun 5 2015, 12:12 PM) *
It seems even odder to instantly lend credence to rumours that appear on day 1, after the only media we have seen is a single video with a man at the end.
Let me remind you, that all the promotional material for the canon vault dweller always made them male before. This did not limit your character creation options.

There is SOME credence to it, but I'm just hoping that it is wrong. Current theories are that said main character is actually from pre-war and that his vault's schtick was cryogenic freezing. A neat theory I have to admit. This comes from the fact that the voice of a pre-war character matches the character at the end of the trailer. Which would again, make some sense as he's searching through the ruin of his old house. (other crazy theories involve being an android since we're supposed to deal with MIT and the Commonwealth). I'm mostly curious to see if we see the game before the end of the year.
Stahlseele
appearantly, that rumor is part of a bigger infodump that so far has been pretty much correct.
it was leaked by a disgruntled employee after she was fired for some reason.

further information says it's only for the main storyline quest and after that is done it won't be the case anymore.
and it supposedly won't be important for the DLCs to follow either . .

i am still not sure how to feel about this . .

if i remember correctly (highly unprobable), fallout was the first CRPG that allowed you to MAKE and play a female character . .
bannockburn
So, let me get this right. There is this ominous "info dump" (not sourced here, so far), that a "disgruntled" employee leaked.
It is not inconceivable that some truths are mixed with incomplete information and / or outright lies then, isn't it? After all, that mysterious employee is not gruntled anymore and has an interest in smearing their former employer.

Just sayin': It's a bit early to proclaim the sky falling.

if i remember correctly (highly unprobable), fallout was the first CRPG that allowed you to MAKE and play a female character . .

It wasn't.
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Wasteland_1988 , amongst others.
Stahlseele
Oh by the way:
there's a steam sale for the entire fallout franchise this weekend.
so if you haven't, look into buying some of the fallout stuff.
Bertramn
From what I heard, the part about not being able to play a woman is made-up bullshit.

Shortstraw
Does it really matter? It may be that I'm coming at it from a different place, yes it is a step backwards in customization, but as long as the game play is good I can't get that worked up about it.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Jun 8 2015, 06:44 AM) *
Does it really matter? It may be that I'm coming at it from a different place, yes it is a step backwards in customization, but as long as the game play is good I can't get that worked up about it.

Mind you, I'm not crying "sexism" or anything ridiculous like that. It just is something that goes against the grain of both the company and the series. If I want to play a game with a voiced character and railroaded storyline, I could go listen to Cary Elwes snark lines at me all day in A Bard's Tale. Which I might do, it was a good game.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Bertramn @ Jun 8 2015, 09:53 AM) *
From what I heard, the part about not being able to play a woman is made-up bullshit.

Maybe the thread title should be, "Employee drama. Employee drama never changes." rotfl.gif
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 9 2015, 05:19 PM) *
Maybe the thread title should be, "Employee drama. Employee drama never changes." rotfl.gif

It might not change but sometimes it rises to spectacular new heights.
Bertramn
Article

"[Update: Looks like this is most likely a hoax. The leaker said they had accidentally given information to Kotaku, which in turn caused her to get fired. Kotaku confirmed today that no information was ever given to them by this person.]"
nezumi
Wait wait, I thought the player was going to play as the dog?
Stahlseele
No, that was Dad in 3.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 10 2015, 03:39 AM) *
Wait wait, I thought the player was going to play as the dog?

Sold!
Stahlseele
It seems i probably will have to take back every bad thing i wrote about Fallout4 up untill now, if what i read on kotaku turns out to be correct @.@
X-Kalibur
A million times hotter than TNT. My Pip-Boy edition is already pre-ordered.
Stahlseele
i can't even find that one for preorder . .
nor am i sure if i should if i could.
because i do not know wether my smartphone, either the one i am using right now OR a new one i might be getting would actually fit into that thing . .
Stahlseele
http://www.twitch.tv/nerdcubed/v/6189912
The Fallouty Part starts at about one hour and 15 minutes in
CanadianWolverine
I'll settle for playing Fallout Shelter in the mean time.

What's that you say, you are unhappy with me as Overseer of your vault? To the Wasteland to prove your worth, vault dweller!
Iduno
I am curious why the "future 1950's with some cowboys" idea behind Fallout doesn't get the same flak as the "future 1980's with magic" that Shadowrun gets. At least I haven't read any arguments that all of the books and magazines around the world in Fallout should be replaced with ebook readers because it's the future and we already have them.

Then again, I'll accept pretty much anything in fiction, as long as it stays internally consistent.
Stahlseele
Because THAT has always been the case.
While Shadowruns world was changed.
We do not like change. We want things to be as we remember them.
Even if we remember them wrong. They are now ruined.
Because they are not as we remember them.
Back in my day, everything was better. We stuck wires into our body and called it good!
Iduno
QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Jun 28 2015, 08:45 AM) *
I'll settle for playing Fallout Shelter in the mean time.

What's that you say, you are unhappy with me as Overseer of your vault? To the Wasteland to prove your worth, vault dweller!

I've played a bit of it, to the point that I had more people that I could make food and water for without pushing buttons continually. I could add the higher-tier production rooms, and then more power, and train stats up to work them...or I can send low-end dwellers into the wastelands without equipment to prove themselves. If they collect equipment and caps worth more than the cost to rez them, they can return.

Now I miss dwarf fortress a bit.
bannockburn
So, in case you haven't seen it yet:
https://youtu.be/X5aJfebzkrM
Stahlseele
i am not happy about what they have done to the dialogue system <.<
bannockburn
I haven't seen it, I don't follow leaks, and I'll wait for tuesday, before I make my judgement.
Remember the start of this thread, concerning voice artists wink.gif
Stahlseele
They have basically taken the mass effect wheel of generic dialoge choices as far as i can tell from screenshots . .
bannockburn
If you're concerned about it, don't buy the game wink.gif
Iduno
How would you feel if you worked at Bethesda, and every story about a bug contains phrases like "we all knew this was coming" or "the bugs we expected with a Bethesda game"?

Probably also why people believed they were incapable of figuring out 2 genders. Also, they probably hadn't originally planned for that.

I'm sure the game will be moderately entertaining once it's fixed, but it would be nice not to have to wait for that. On the upside, there is only one game-breaking bug I've heard of so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012