Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SRR Hong Kong
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Lionhearted
So who is picking this up tomorrow?
Im really interested to see what they do with it, though vanilla SRR wasnt that great I throughoutly enjoyed Dragonfall, especially with all the little nuggets they throw in there like the gal in the talismonger shop obviously being a free spirit.
Iduno
I already pre-ordered, so I should have it when I get home today.

The first two were good, once I remembered that what I want and what is reasonable are different things.

I agree with the bit about little nuggets. I also like that some require different skill sets or stats to get. Higher willpower gets you more information on the free spirit you mentioned. Being an elf gets you a few sentences from the drug dealer in Dragonfall who pretends to do magic. A lot of stuff for having the right ettiquette or medical knowledge. Nothing that "forces" you to use one skill or another, but helps show how your knowledge and skills affect your view of the shadowrun world.
Lionhearted
Really annoyed me though that you couldnt understand the elf speaking sperethiel even if you were an elf nyahnyah.gif
Blade
I've "preordered" it from Kickstarter, but my computer is still in its box, three months after moving in so it'll probably be some time before I play it.
I really liked the writing of the last two games, had a really good time with Dragonfall and will probably enjoy HK as well, but I'd really like to see them take it to the next level. I know they don't have the means of a big developer, but that's a shame. As immersive as the world gets with the writing, the art and the sounds, I can't help but think of how much more it could be with a more immersive perspective.
Wounded Ronin
I've been enjoying it so far.
Lionhearted
Have anyone found a resolution for the whampoa mission where everyone lives?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Aug 24 2015, 04:46 AM) *
Have anyone found a resolution for the whampoa mission where everyone lives?

Yeah, gotta keep Gaichu, as much as you might want to kill him, and find all the evidence that implicates the elders.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 24 2015, 07:14 PM) *
Yeah, gotta keep Gaichu, as much as you might want to kill him, and find all the evidence that implicates the elders.

Funny thing, I killed Gaichu after confronting the elders with evidence and to my surprise when returning to my home base there he was oblivious to the fact that he should be dead... and I wouldnt kill him just because of what he is
[ Spoiler ]
Iduno
Yeah, my complaints are pretty minor, and I like the rest. The way the new improved matrix works means there probably won't be fights where your team is protecting the decker while they race to do something before time runs out, which was only used twice(?) in Dragonfall. I also want to play now, but I also want to wait to see if they make improvements like they did with the other two games. Playing a narrow-focus mage this playthrough, and something different later.

X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Iduno @ Aug 24 2015, 12:07 PM) *
Yeah, my complaints are pretty minor, and I like the rest. The way the new improved matrix works means there probably won't be fights where your team is protecting the decker while they race to do something before time runs out, which was only used twice(?) in Dragonfall. I also want to play now, but I also want to wait to see if they make improvements like they did with the other two games. Playing a narrow-focus mage this playthrough, and something different later.

Actually if your decker gets spotted and engaged in combat, it does swap back and forth with meat space combat.
Wounded Ronin
You know what's funny? I sometimes have nightmares concerning my teeth in real life. What about the rest of you? Maybe it's a common nightmare.
Lionhearted
Can't say I do, I have a strange habit of never being able to find my pants in dreams though... Don't get many nightmares I can't control nowadays, used to have terrible problems with them so I became a quite proficient lucid dreamer to deal with it
Bertramn
Love the game so far.
Have played the Wuxing Qi Mission first,
and that is where I am atm, so relatively at the beginning.

I love that they provide you with a way to influence the skills of the chars in your party!
Also the Hacking is great this time around, I am having lots of fun with it! biggrin.gif
Graphics look fine, better than Berlin, and the cut-scenes are good so far.

Overall I have the feeling that this game is as much of an improvement to Dragonfall, as that one was to Returns,
but let's wait and see.

The music is good for example, but the loops are a little bit too short.
Iduno
QUOTE (Bertramn @ Aug 26 2015, 08:13 AM) *
Love the game so far.
Have played the Wuxing Qi Mission first,
and that is where I am atm, so relatively at the beginning.

I love that they provide you with a way to influence the skills of the chars in your party!
Also the Hacking is great this time around, I am having lots of fun with it! biggrin.gif
Graphics look fine, better than Berlin, and the cut-scenes are good so far.

Overall I have the feeling that this game is as much of an improvement to Dragonfall, as that one was to Returns,
but let's wait and see.

The music is good for example, but the loops are a little bit too short.

I loved the early Qi run. Doing things they hopefully wouldn't notice for weeks like messing with the fountain, slightly moving some cubicle dividers, moving papers on a desk, putting out the torches (maybe they wouldn't notice), smashing some windows and mirrors (uh...), and blowing up a server (nobody will notice). The characters mostly take themselves seriously, the game doesn't restrict itself so much.

DeckCon 2056 is great, too. Just make sure you blend in. And read everything, but that's mostly a given for SRR games.

The party skills change came in the Director's Cut of Dragonfall. The graphics are because they are no longer intending the games to be played on a tablet.

I would like to hear the Shadowrun (game intro) music made more atmospheric for the first 2 games like they did with Hong Kong. Maybe grungier for Seattle (DMS) and maybe an industrial techno sound for Berlin (Dragonfall)?

I kind of miss the armor having modifiers for skills, though. Higher armor may be traded off by losing your +1 int and +1 decking (or whatever).
BlackJaw
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 26 2015, 06:58 AM) *
You know what's funny? I sometimes have nightmares concerning my teeth in real life. What about the rest of you? Maybe it's a common nightmare.

I've had those, and it's a common enough nightmare category that it often shows up on link bait "most common nightmares and what they mean" lists.
Wounded Ronin
I loved the endgame.

I feel like it was able to show a very modern vision of some of the old Lovecraftian ideas. It was very satisfying to me, whereas I feel like in a lot of game settings that are explicitly Lovecraftian modern tech and capabilities are sort of given short shrift or not really satisfactorily explored for the sake of trying to be horrific.

Horror can still be horror even if it exists alongside modernity or futurism. Isn't this what World War I proved?
Bertramn
Agreed.

Played through it yesterday.
Some of the dialogues in the end are bugged, with the wrong portraits showing when talking to multiple people,
Crafty had no dialogue options in the end, and I really wanted to talk to her.

[ Spoiler ]

Anyway, I played as a Troll adept brawler girl, but chose to be the good gal whenever possible.
Now I am going to play a Charisma and Intelligence gal, and be a complete asshole all the time.

I really enjoyed the new hacking system as well, although I thought it could have been more expansive.
Also it was too easy most of the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012