Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grapple Gun Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
2XS
So I was looking at the grapple gun tonight, and was thinking it'd be epic if it could pull you up instead of just providing a rope to climb. Anyone modify one to do this? I'm curious if it's been done before, and how you packaged and sold it to your GM.
ThreeGee
Homemade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFewdU0JcA
bannockburn
Don't know if SR5 has it, but in WAR (yes, I know), there's the Auto-Rappel.

QUOTE ("WAR @ p. 163")
Auto-Rappel: This harness attaches to a rope. The mechanism allows the user to drop in free-fall, slowing near the ground. The effect is very similar to a parachute drop with a very low-opening chute release, so players should use the Parachuting or Athletics skill when employing this bit of gear. The harness can be released manually with a Simple Action, released via PAN with a Free Action, or programmed to drop o by itself on landing. The harness is capable of traveling back up the rope by itself, but not with a load.

It's not actually something to ascend a rope with, but with a few modifications (stronger motor, bulkier, whatever) and GM approval it could conceivably become an ascending rappel like in the new(ish) Tomb Raider game.

Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (2XS @ Nov 6 2015, 02:43 AM) *
So I was looking at the grapple gun tonight, and was thinking it'd be epic if it could pull you up instead of just providing a rope to climb. Anyone modify one to do this? I'm curious if it's been done before, and how you packaged and sold it to your GM.

Oh man, you reminded me how years ago when I was GMing a game a player wanted to have his character Batman with the grapple gun and I had to point out that that wasn't what it was supposed to do.
Sendaz
Just keep in mind if you let them play Batman with the Grapple Gun, sooner or later one of the players is going to play Scorpion on someone. nyahnyah.gif

Not saying you shouldn't, just something to be mindful of as it's the next step if you give the GG a motor capable of lifting that level of weight.

It can make for a fairly non-lethal (besides the initial 'hit' depending on how you design the grapple- we used variable heads- so one head for normal climbing and a wider grapple head you could switch out to grab a body) way of catching someone/ dragging back someone trying to flee.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Nov 11 2015, 04:01 AM) *
Just keep in mind if you let them play Batman with the Grapple Gun, sooner or later one of the players is going to play Scorpion on someone. nyahnyah.gif

Not saying you shouldn't, just something to be mindful of as it's the next step if you give the GG a motor capable of lifting that level of weight.

It can make for a fairly non-lethal (besides the initial 'hit' depending on how you design the grapple- we used variable heads- so one head for normal climbing and a wider grapple head you could switch out to grab a body) way of catching someone/ dragging back someone trying to flee.

So doesn't that mean in the fleeing individual weighs more than the guy firing the grapple gun, the guy firing the grapple gun will get towed?
Sendaz
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 11 2015, 03:52 PM) *
So doesn't that mean if the fleeing individual weighs more than the guy firing the grapple gun, the guy firing the grapple gun will get towed?

fixed that for ya.

Think of it as an aggressive tug-o-war, weight does count but is not the sole factor.

So yes, it can happen if said shooter does not brace well or have something to anchor himself with.

Which did happen when the GG idea caught on and some bat-elf tried to 'catch' my troll that way when I dove over the edge with the intention to crash land atop a dumpster below.
I suppose he thought he would have me dangling off the building while he reeled me in.
Guess he should have taken a lesson from The Bricklayer.
Needless to say I proceeded to drag his arse right off the building and he didn't land so well.

Spirits I loved 3rd ed trolls.

If you are planning to play scorpion, look at investing in adding a taser function to the item that you can trigger manually once you land a hit.
You will still have to brace to pull in a heavier body, but is a lot easier when they just twitching on the ground and aren't actively resisting. wink.gif
Stahlseele
SR3 had a grapple gun if i remember correctly.
And yes, Trolls can have too much fun with them.
I loved to annoy people with it.
Go-Ganger-Drive-By?
Hook him and hold on to a street light. Hillarious!
2XS
In the video game "Injustice," Batman had a Scorpion-esque move that involved kicking his opponent as they were being pulled toward him.

Anyone have stats for the grapple that could do this in 3rd edition? Maybe I can convert it or something.

What about snares? Some kind of trap that yanks bad guys into dark corners, where my character can be waiting..?
Stahlseele
To be found in NSRCG3 under survival>climbing gear
Grapple Gun
Cost 450NY
Concealability: 7
Weight: 2.25
Availability: 4/36hrs
Street Index: 2
Book.Page: sr3.295

Grapple Line (100m)
Cost 50NY
Concealability: -
Weight: 2
Availability: 4/36hrs
Street Index: 2
Book.Page: sr3.295
2XS
How far can it pull you in a turn? Does it automatically reel you in during the firing action, or is it a separate action for that?
Sendaz
Ryo over on SG came up with his own houseruled version of a grapple some time back and you can see the whole thread here: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index....40396#msg240396

We have copied the relevant bits below in case you dislike hopping around:

QUOTE ( Ryo / SG / 17:04:23/09-30-13)
The Grapnel Gun is the size of a heavy pistol and uses shotgun shells to launch a length of cable 20 meters long at a selected target. Once attached, the internal battery retracts the cable at high speed, either propelling the user to the target, or bringing the target to the user. Against an unfixed opponent, treat this as an opposed Knockdown Test. If the defender's Physical Limit is lower than the Strength + net hits of the Attacker, he is pulled off his feet and dragged to the attacker at the rate of retraction. Otherwise, the attacker must succeed in a Body + Strength test or have the grapnel yanked out of his hands. Even if he succeeds, he is instead pulled off his feet and dragged towards the defender. If the rate of retraction is fast enough to incur falling damage, this applies to both the defender and the attacker as the two collide. The Grapnel Gun holds 10 charges and regains 1 charge per ten seconds when plugged in. The Grapnel can be retracted at various speeds. Switching between these speeds requires a Change Device Mode Simple Action.

Steady: The Grapnel is retracted at a speed of 3 meters per combat turn, fast enough to clear a 1 story building quickly but safely. The Grapnel needs at least 1 charge to retract at this speed, but can be used indefinitely. This requires a minimum Strength of 2 to hold onto the gun. If the user lacks sufficient strength, they must make a Strength + Body test, with a threshold equal to the difference between their Strength Attribute and the requirement for the rate of retraction, or else have the gun pulled out of their hand.
Slow: The Grapnel is retracted at a speed of 5 meters per combat turn. This expends 1 charge, and requires a minimum Strength of 3 to hold onto the gun.
Fast: The Grapnel is retracted at a speed of 10 meters per combat turn. This expends 2 charges, and moves the target at high enough speed that they must resist falling damage as if they fell 5 meters. This requires a minimum Strength of 4 to hold onto the gun.
Turbo: The Grapnel instantly retracts the full length of its cable, moving at a speed of 20 meters per combat turn. This uses up 5 charges, and causes 10 meters worth of falling damage on impact due to the high speed of retraction. A minimum Strength of 6 is required to hold onto the gun..

Wireless: Laser range finders, ultrasound and weight sensors between the gun and the head of the cable are able to quickly calculate the exact distance being traversed and the full load being pulled, allowing the Grapnel to calibrate its retraction speed to slow to a safe stop. No falling damage is taken, no matter how fast the grapnel is retracted. In addition, changing retraction speeds requires only a Free Action, and it recharges through induction at a rate of 1 charge per hour.

Grapnel Gun
Accuracy: 4
Damage: 7P
AP: -1
Mode: SS
RC: -
Ammo: 5 (m)
Avail: 12R
Cost: 1000 nuyen

Optional Heads:

Electromagnetic Head: This Grapnel head is designed to latch onto any ferrous metal, such as the bodies of vehicles or heavy girders. When activated, any metal target, or target that contains metal, receives a -4 penalty to its defense roll to avoid the Grapnel. When properly attached, the rope will break before the magnet fails. Turning the Magnet on or off requires a Change Device Mode Simple Action.
Wireless: The magnet can be activated and deactivated as a Free Action.
Damage Modifier: -
AP Modifier: -
Avail: 4
Cost: 100 nuyen

Gecko Head: This Grapnel Head has a large sphere of amorphous Gecko pad material the size of a softball. On impact, it flattens against the target, dramatically increasing its surface area and holding fast. The Gecko Head can stick to almost any surface and support the weight of a full grown Troll without slipping, but it becomes worthless when wet and can't stick to surfaces coated against adhesives. Once stuck, removing the Gecko Head requires a Complex Action to carefully peel it off its target, or a Simple Action if liquid can be poured over it.
Wireless: The adhesive in the Gecko Pad can be temporarily disabled with a Wireless Signal, allowing it to be removed as a Free Action.
Damage Modifier: -2S
AP Modifier: +1
Avail: 12
Cost: 500 nuyen

Spike Head: This Grapnel Head is a hardened, diamond tipped spike, designed to pierce through a target before deploying barbs to hold it fast. The Spike can pierce any barrier up to Structure Rating 12 and deals 1 box of damage to the barrier. Against living targets, it becomes lodged in their armor if the damage is converted to stun, or gets embedded in their body if it deals Physical. Removing the spike once its lodged into a target requires a Complex Action and a Strength + Body (4) test. Pulling the spike out like this deals two boxes of damage to Structures, or base weapon damage to a living target that took Physical damage from the initial attack. Alternatively, it can be removed without additional damage using a First Aid + Logic (2) [Mental] test.
Wireless: The internal barbs can be retracted with a wireless signal, allowing the spike to easily slip out of whatever hole it made. If lodged into a living target, this still requires a Complex Action.
Damage Modifier: -
AP Modifier: -4
Avail: 12F
Cost: 120 nuyen

For those wanted it in a cyber arm he goes with a version here:
Implanted Grapnel Gun
Accuracy: 4 (6)
Damage: 7P
AP: -1
Mode: SS
RC: -
Ammo: 4(m)/8©
Essence: 0.5
Capacity: [6]
Avail: 12R
Cost: 5,000 nuyen

Since an Implanted Grapnel Gun cannot be yanked out of your hand, it instead deals 1 box of unresisted physical damage for every point of strength you're missing as the implant yanks on the meat its attached to, Which can be prevented by the Body + Strength test as usual.

So bounce that one around and see if you like it and tweak to taste.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (2XS @ Nov 12 2015, 10:47 PM) *
How far can it pull you in a turn? Does it automatically reel you in during the firing action, or is it a separate action for that?

doesn't say sadly.
"this gun can shoot a grapling hook more than 50 meters(me:because the lines are actually 100m long, i'd change that accordingly). It comes equipped with an internal spool.If used as a weapon, it fires at heavy crossbow ranges and does 5m stun damage. The grapple line can easily hold 1000kg."
so, going by the thought that it can winch 1000kg(a ton), i'd say lower weights get dragged pretty damn fast.
if you go with only 50m, then you need to do some maths to get to a point where about 30 seconds(10 combat rounds) are used to move 1t of weight i'd guess.
That is probably straight up as well, so sideways would be different. And then go from there.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 12 2015, 08:03 PM) *
doesn't say sadly.
"this gun can shoot a grapling hook more than 50 meters(me:because the lines are actually 100m long, i'd change that accordingly). It comes equipped with an internal spool.If used as a weapon, it fires at heavy crossbow ranges and does 5m stun damage. The grapple line can easily hold 1000kg."
so, going by the thought that it can winch 1000kg(a ton), i'd say lower weights get dragged pretty damn fast.
if you go with only 50m, then you need to do some maths to get to a point where about 30 seconds(10 combat rounds) are used to move 1t of weight i'd guess.
That is probably straight up as well, so sideways would be different. And then go from there.

It says the line can hold 1000kg but it doesn't specify that the motor can pull that much weight.
Stahlseele
Seeing how Trolls could weight in upwards of 300 kg in SR3, i do not think the 1000kg are an unreasonable expectation, if the line can hold 1000kg.
KarmaInferno
It dosen't say it can winch 1000kg.

The line can hold 1000kg.

Meaning, the line won't break if the load is beneath that weight.

I can easily see the gun having a locking line brake that can hold up to 1000kg, but the actual retrieval motor having just enough torque to reel in the weight of the line and not much else.

-k
Stahlseele
Shadowrun Technology is advanced enough for it.
And the weakest part in the equation will always be the person holding it anyway.
We CAN always just escalate things and have the Troll carry the vehicle weapon Harpoon Gun around . .
Sendaz
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 13 2015, 04:24 PM) *
We CAN always just escalate things and have the Troll carry the vehicle weapon Harpoon Gun around . .

Wait, you DON'T already? nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
No. I usually just tie a rope of sufficient length to the Arrows of a Ranger-X-Bow for Max STR.
One could ALSO think about combining a NET GUN with the Grapple-Gun.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 13 2015, 03:24 PM) *
Shadowrun Technology is advanced enough for it.
And the weakest part in the equation will always be the person holding it anyway.

Back when I used to GM, unless a player was really invested in the idea of being able to Scorpion or Batman around, I would have simply left it at the line being able to hold 1000 KG but the motor basically is just for line retrevial. Because otherwise the game will kind of grind to a halt as we try to figure out some of the details that have come up in this thread already, like how fast various weights can get pulled around, what happens if you try to pull in something that weighs more than you, etc. It's easier to just say you have an extendable line you can swing on or help you to climb up walls but not a Batman/Scorpion/Lara Kroft tool.

If someone wants to base their character concept on being able to do stuff like that, I'd rather figure out these kinds of parameters before the game starts and define them early on, just so that things wouldn't derail later. Then there are all kinds of details we can think of like how the unit is powered, what is the maximum pull weight, what kind of surface does it need in order to get an adhesion, and so on.
Stahlseele
i am a bit surprised that there are no actual RULES for the grapple gun in the SR3 book.
maybe somehwere else, but i have no idea where i would look for that kind of stuff <.<
KnightAries
I saw it as the spool just held the line because once it's fired it would still need to be tied off on both ends. No way to truly retrieve the line so I'd use the catalyst stick to take care of that issue (sometimes waiting till the baddies are on it first). biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
The catalyst stick is only for the stealth line, not for the normal one though.
KnightAries
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 14 2015, 03:31 AM) *
The catalyst stick is only for the stealth line, not for the normal one though.

Yup, doesn't mean you can't load it into a grapple gun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012