Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why are Agent 47's custom slides from El Monte, CA?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
So last night I just finished Hitman: Absolution. I loved the game and felt that it did an incredible job of capturing the spirit of folkloric nihilism that exists in rural America. I feel humbled that someone chose to articulate this with their artistic vision and feel that the portrayal of rural America is almost Howardian in its vividness and emotional intensity.

Of course, the game often shows that Agent 47's 1911s have custom slides from El Monte, California. Is there a well known gunsmith, manufacturer, or customization workshop in El Monte, CA? I have looked on Wikipedia but didn't see any mention of that. Furthermore, California is so despotically restrictive on firearms that it seems like an odd place for a shooting enthusiast to set up shop.

Right next door in Nevada there are lots of small companies that will do awesome custom work on your competition firearms and culturally there is a lot of libertarian and anti-government sentiment. For example, Cliven Bundy is from Nevada. I would have had the custom firearms be from Nevada. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
I guess that no one knows? This board has a lot of firearms enthusiasts, too.

Maybe on Monday I can try to call the El Monte Chamber of Commerce and see if they have any thoughts.
Wounded Ronin
OK guys, I called the El Monte chamber of commerce. The gentleman I spoke with said that there are no firearms customization businesses in El Monte. So, I am baffled as to why the slides say El Monte in the Hitman: Absolution game.
Blade
Maybe that's where the graphic artist who did the slides comes from? I guess you should ask the developer company.
pbangarth
Maybe a city that has no such facility was chosen to avoid legal issues with existing business(es)?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 7 2016, 05:09 AM) *
Maybe that's where the graphic artist who did the slides comes from? I guess you should ask the developer company.

I guess I would write to IO interactive? Maybe when I have the time and headspace I'll send them a snail mail letter. I have the feeling an email might be ignored.

I was playing some more today and was really bemused as I watched the reload animation for the dual 1911s. How does 47 reload one 1911 without putting the other 1911 down or holstering it? If he's holding a 1911 in each hand, how can he even grip his next magazine, let alone insert it firmly and fully?

I had been thinking about how fun it would be to buy the official Hitman suit ( https://us.musterbrand.com/collections/hitm...gent-47-set-638 ) and wear it to a tactical shooting competition, but then realized that there would be no practical, safe, or legal way to dual wield 1911s from shoulder holsters. Plus you would probably just mostly miss your targets due to dual wielding. I guess you could wear that suit to a competition but basically you'd have to be doing some kind of tactical rifle competition where you're just running a M4, or something like that.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 8 2016, 01:22 PM) *
Maybe a city that has no such facility was chosen to avoid legal issues with existing business(es)?

I thought about this after reading your comment. Considering that in Hitman you can basically create mass shooting scenarios, I can see why no arms manufacturer (or customization shop) would want to be associated with the game!
Critias
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 11 2016, 08:42 PM) *
I guess I would write to IO interactive? Maybe when I have the time and headspace I'll send them a snail mail letter. I have the feeling an email might be ignored.

I was playing some more today and was really bemused as I watched the reload animation for the dual 1911s. How does 47 reload one 1911 without putting the other 1911 down or holstering it? If he's holding a 1911 in each hand, how can he even grip his next magazine, let alone insert it firmly and fully?

I had been thinking about how fun it would be to buy the official Hitman suit ( https://us.musterbrand.com/collections/hitm...gent-47-set-638 ) and wear it to a tactical shooting competition, but then realized that there would be no practical, safe, or legal way to dual wield 1911s from shoulder holsters. Plus you would probably just mostly miss your targets due to dual wielding. I guess you could wear that suit to a competition but basically you'd have to be doing some kind of tactical rifle competition where you're just running a M4, or something like that.

It's not like you're obligated to draw and dual wield 1911s just because you've got a two-gun shoulder rig (or, for that matter, it's not like you're obligated to wear a two-gun rig in the first place). If you think it would be fun/funny to wear the suit, wear the suit. It's entirely possible you're overthinking this.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 12 2016, 04:45 AM) *
It's not like you're obligated to draw and dual wield 1911s just because you've got a two-gun shoulder rig (or, for that matter, it's not like you're obligated to wear a two-gun rig in the first place). If you think it would be fun/funny to wear the suit, wear the suit. It's entirely possible you're overthinking this.

Thanks for the affirmation! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012