Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Gilga
Dana answered "Yes, we'll start with walking and once we are outside of the camp we can send someone to the sky to cover more ground. Any volunteers? "
adamu
Raf was itching to get out of this camp, which he felt was - in its way - more toxic than any shaman could be.

And perhaps he would be able to find the right opportunity to apologize to Cailin.

"I'll take a pass on flying. But I will come with. If the camp's lone attacker is who I guess, then we'll have a better chance of reasoning with him if I'm along."

Dana's whole plan was an entirely constructive win-win.

They stood to find some of those incredibly useful clothes that had mysteriously disappeared - it was not lost on Raf that only the small camp members had been left bereft - and if they failed the worst would be getting a better feel for the lay of the land.

And any possibility of allying with the big guy was also worth exploring, with again the only downside being greater intelligence.

Then whatever course they took it would be with more resources.
Mercy
Maya watches as Dana starts to leave. Part of her attention is also focused on something going on from the eating place. Several Orks are talking loud enough to be heard up here. She glances at Rick to see what he is going to do, but then turns to Dana, Raferty and Cailin. "Please do not leave just yet. I am hearing noises from the dining area that indicate to me that Muhamed and some friends of his are angry and considering some sort of independent action. We might need the three of you here if something happens. Please remain until that is sorted out."

"And, Dana, I would ask that you reconsider your idea to go find the lone hunter and the mage on your own, even with Cailin's and Raferty's help. You are a skilled combat mage, but is that enough to find this man, or the mage. You have already stated that you do not have the skills necessary to live off the land and survive in the wilderness by yourself. Consider what you might be getting into and do not let some desire for action lead you into making a mistake. You might not be prepared for this. I am not speaking as your boss, your leader, your king, or queen, but as a friend. Please do not leave just yet. We need you here. All three of you."

She turns to Rick. "Cannot you see that you are losing control here? Your plan is about to backfire on you. Now is the time for you to be decisive in your camp. But you have to rule by their will, not by force or fear. Talk to them."

Rick seems paralyzed and shakes his head. Maya considers the situation and nods. "I thought so. Well, then, I am off to try to talk some sense into these people and prevent a disaster. I may fail, and I am sure the penalty for that failure is going to be high. I can see an outcome where Muhamed has me killed, or worse. But things are going to go south very quickly. I hope that some of you are with me."

Without saying more, the scarred girl heads down the hill to the dining area and the scene of the growing resentment. On the way, she picks up a rock in one hand and a fistful of dirt in the other. She pushes through the outer fringe of the crowd at the dining tables and steps up on one. Muhamed has his back to her as he tries to incite his rebellion among some of the other Orks in the group. He does not notice her, but one of the others says something and points to her. He whirls about in surprise and sneers at Maya. "Oh, one of the princesses has come to see what is going on. Maybe we should start with her."

Maya has seen village chiefs and shamen talk and has watched as they hold audiences spellbound and now calls on everything she can recall of those experiences. She holds her arms up and some people go quiet, then others. She begins talking in a normal voice and more go quiet in an attempt to hear her. When she has the attention of most of the people she nods and begins speaking loud enough for all to hear her speak. "I am Maya. Most of you know me or at least who I am. I am no ivory tower princess and I am not sure that I am even qualified to be standing here trying to talk some of you out of a rebellion of sorts."

Muhamed, as if on cue, yells out. "Fragging right, you ain't. You're no better than any of the others. Always putting us down and trying to scam us out of what's due us." After a few supportive yells, the crowd goes quiet, waiting to see what Maya's response will be.

Maya points an arm at Muhamed and says, "This man is lying and trying to lead others of you on a dangerous course. Yes, lying. He is lying about several things; like how he intentionally raped a girl he knew was nearly unconscious. Despite what he has told everyone, he would have had to take a very tight-fitting garment off of a girl that was not helping him. Consider how long it takes each of you to prepare to use the latrine or remove the garment to go to bed. He may now say "so what?" as it does not matter because it is now everyone against the Orks and the weaker should pay and serve. Another lie. He is not saying these things because he believes in the superiority of the Orks here, but because he is afraid of being punished. He claims to want to lead the Orks to control the camp, or perhaps even just take what they want and leave to form an Ork camp, but this lie is only to cover up that he wants to be in charge. He will rule through fear and cruelty and not care one bit about the rest of the Orks unless they do exactly as he wants. He will be a tyrant until such time as another tyrant kills him and takes his place. And then there is the greatest lie......that you can survive on your own out here. Certainly, the Orks are among the strongest physically here, and some have skills in hunting, but most of you are just like most of us, nearly completely unprepared for surviving out here. Urban skills, even bloody ganger skills, are nearly useless here, except for the rare times when fighting is needed. For most other things, those skills are of little use. What is needed is for us to stick together. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong to leave the camp. I felt that my personal issues with Rick were enough to justify leaving and I convinced myself it was the right thing to do. I was fragging wrong."

She pauses a moment to gather her breath and her thoughts. "Yes, I was wrong. I should have stayed and worked within the group to make things better for all of us. Instead, there is injustice here and now some others are considering leaving. I have heard several stories of what has been going on here while we were away. Women, convinced somehow that they were more deserving, forcing their way to the best parts of the food when that action was not justified in any manner. Members of the camp being singled out for being different. Look about you, people. How many of you are like the person standing next to you? We come from different countries, different social and economic backgrounds, different races, and very importantly, we have different skills. Almost none of us are the same. Few of us are equipped with the right skills to survive in this sort of wilderness. Forming into groups just because you are women, or Orks, or former gangers or former students is pointless here. That sort of thinking will only get you and others hurt or killed."

"There are so few of us here that we should all be forming one group and we should be vigorously defending that one group against all enemies, even those from within. There have indeed been injustices here, and they should be dealt with, swiftly and without adding more injustice on top of the first. But this takes working together." She points to some of the Orks in the group facing her. "Look, do you really want to have Muhamed lead you off into the wilderness? Even if you were able to equip yourselves with the tents and tools that are here, are you prepared to let him tell you what is needed to survive? Does he have the wilderness skills to know what plants are edible and which are poisonous? Do you? Yes you can hunt and kill, but do any of you know how to look at the meat of an animal and know if it is safe to eat or if it is ill and will kill you after you eat it? Do you have the skills to replace or repair the tools that will eventually break or be lost? If the answers to any of these questions is a no, if it is even a maybe no, then you are dooming yourselves to death out there. And for what? For an Ork that is guilty of a crime against another member of the group, someone he should have been protecting. If he will do that to one, what makes you believe that he will not do that to another, perhaps any of you that go with him and then say something in disagreement with him."

"No, his leaving is wrong. My leaving was also wrong, but for different reasons. I am back and I do not intend to leave again. I may not be a leader here, but I will fight at every opportunity to see justice done and to reverse any injustice already done. I will not please everyone, certainly not Rick. Or anyone like Muhamed, who tries to take advantage of some bad feelings to cover up his own reasons for wanting to rebel. He is guilty as hell and he knows it, no matter what the spell says. I do not know how he fooled the person that questioned him, but it could have been the way this place can warp magic. But he knows he lied and he committed the crime and now he thinks he can dupe the rest of you by focusing your attention and anger on slights that have, unfortunately, been real. I urge you all to see through his words to his actions and make a rational decision, not one fueled by anger and mistrust."

Maya turns to the larger crowd, including the women at their separate table. "And we all need to begin to work together to survive. We are too few to be able to afford any sort of clique drek. There is no one of us better than the rest. We are all in this fragging thing together and we nned to begin acting like our lives depend on working together, because they do. Women that sit apart and act apart and take advantage of others are out of place and such activity is wrong. Some of us have preconceived notions about mages and adepts, some of it based on fear of the unknown and some of it on things we have heard or seen. Some of us are ignorant about the feelings of Trolls or Orks or Elves or, well any of us. And yet, we can all make good use of the strengths of everyone else. Am I making any sort of sense at all?"

Some of the girls at the other tables get a hangdog look and leave that group for the larger group, eventually leaving only a couple of people there and even they look like they are not sure of their position any more. Some of the Orks grumble then walk to the line of people forming behind where Maya is standing. She looks about and then turns back to Muhamed. "I do not believe in branding, but there must be a punishment for what you have done. Stay here and we will find a just way to mete out punishment. You can still be a productive member of this society. If you leave, you and those you take with you will almost certainly decline and then die off. I was wrong. Can you admit the same?"
Gilga
Dana replies to Maya "I get what you are suggesting but I am a warrior and plans rarely survive the impact with reality anyhow. This situation is forcing me to play on my weaknesses. I am going to find the body gloves and confront the hunter. Then we can discuss the mage - perhaps things change by the time I am back. Either you successfully evade him or the mage makes a move that makes him impossible to ignore. At any case you need body gloves, and that loner should be confronted. I can fly like an eagle - so I will never be so far away that I cannot come to visit or resupply."

With that, Dana speed up to the outskirts of the camp and selected a place that was out of sight to the rest - these seemed preoccupied with their volatile internal social situation. Dana got ready to cast the shape change spell on herself. (I am pausing here to see who goes with Dana).
adamu
"Dana, I will go with you, " Raf began, "I absolutely agree with your plan...." and he looked at Maya as she strode off to confront some sort of budding insurrection, "...but I can't leave Maya alone to do what she's doing. Not sure it's worthwhile crusade, but I just can't leave her alone in it. If your own imperative can wait until things stabilize here, I'll be with you. If an hour or so is too long, then I wish you luck and hope to see you soon. "

And with that, the boy went to stand at Maya's shoulder.
Gilga
"Fine" Said Dana reluctantly "But I do not approve to interfere with the politics of a camp we do not belong. I come just to keep Maya safe. Now let me concentrate, this is hard. " The young mage did some theatrics hand movements that were considerably less subtle than these of Caillin when she summoned and then a small bird like spirits materialized. She spoke to the spirit a few words in Hebrew and as later changed it into a real life hawk.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
Once the hawk was on its way and Maya was into her address, Raf looked up at the statuesque redhead and whispered, "Thanks, Dana. We'll find that guy, and then hopefully I can talk some sense into him. Timing was just a little weird was all."
irn0rchid
A bit tired from her exertions, Lindsey sits and gossips with the other girls as they enjoy the spoils from the other camp. The initial trepidation some of the others had from her display of power seems to fade as the immediacy of hot food takes precedence. Midway through the meal, the kids from the smaller camp come down the hill and do their own thing, except for Maya, who hops up on a table and launches into one of her trademark tirades. Although not paying much attention at first, Lindsey gets increasingly upset as she goes on and on and no one in the camp seems prepared to say word one in response. Finally, when Maya somehow convinces her girls to get up from their table and go mill around behind her, she's had enough.

Hoping up on her own table, she shouts out over the end of Maya's apology to Muhammad, "Really?" As everyone turns to her, she continues, "You're all listening to her? What's wrong with you? Every time she opens her mouth it's to tell us how unqualified she is and how she doesn't want to be the leader, and then with her next breath she's trying to tell everyone what to do. How's that worked out for everyone so far? Lets ask Grok? Oh... we can't. And yet here she is, going on about how every. Single. Person. In this camp is doing things the wrong way and how she knows what's best for us. This time. Don't worry about those other times. Surely *now* she's got it right." Lindsey shakes her head in exaggerated dismay. "The tribunal that she herself insisted we put together in order to keep Rick in check decided how to deal with Muhammad here. Apparently she doesn't like that, so now she's got a new plan. One apparently not involving the tribunal? Who's the dictator now? And speaking of Rick... what's she done with him?" Lindsey shades her eyes and peers up the hill the tribunal was meeting on, "Why does it suddenly seem like she's replaced him? Oh, but she doesn't want to lead, I guess we're making her do this?" She snorts, "I'm done with her. If you all want to do what she says for some weird reason, well, that won't be the strangest thing about this place, so go right ahead." Turning her back on the crowd, Lindsey sits back down and resumes eating, calling back over her shoulder, "Maybe she'll be right *this* time?" With an effort of will, Lindsey continues to eat as conversations explode behind her and she seethes with anger internally.
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #130

For a moment, Cailin looks at Dana then Maya's back, and then back, a few times "I'll come with you, but... Well, we can't leave Maya alone now, can we?"

Then, she follows Maya from afar: she really doesn't want to stand in the middle of an excited crowd, and is perfectly satisfied to stand as far as possible and still see enough to be able to help should it be needed. As she walks, she summons a spirit. Better safe than sorry...

[ Spoiler ]
Mercy
Maya is startled by the apparent vitriol in Lindsey's voice as she has her say. Suddenly, she remembers that it this girl that had spoken up as she was leaving the camp, implying that she was stealing tools better used by the larger group. Initially angered, Maya lets Lindsey finish her speech and is sorely tempted to just step down and walk off. Just like the first time. But this time is different. Or maybe this time Maya is different. In any case, she feels that a response is needed, so she gathers her thoughts and says, "Lindsey, right? I remember you from the day I left. Thank you for voicing an opinion. I am a firm believer that everyone should have a say and that everyone should have a vote, so I do appreciate your words. However, I also think that something should be cleared up if factually incorrect. Last time we met, I just let you get away with your innuendos and part truths, mostly because I was leaving and it did not really matter what you said about me. This time I am staying and feel I need to set things straight. Perhaps you are just misinformed or perhaps you really feel the way you are talking. I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt on that, but I will also set some things straight because this time I am not leaving."

"I am not telling everyone what to do, I am voicing an opinion. My opinion. I do happen to think that there are a lot of things right in this camp, but there are some injustices that need to be dealt with. Again, this is my opinion, not an edict. The tribunal you talk about was not my idea and I was never going to be a part of it. I think it was Addie's idea, and it might have been a good one if people did not work hard to undermine it. I personally believe that you have tried very hard to undermine the tribunal and I wonder why? I have been told that you are the person who gathered the women here into a clique and forced Dot to live apart from the rest of you. That you were the instigator that had the women thrust themselves to the fore to get the pick of what the hunters had brought back to the camp, something that has apparently created a rift here. You also apparently led the voice of opposition to keep the clothes from the smaller camp, something I would calmly consider to be vindictive and controlling. You have a force of will that is amazing and seem to always be at the hub of the troubles here. I would like to extend to you an opportunity to be friends and companions. Use that will and your voice for the good of the group, not to tear it down. Think of the good you could be doing if you really wanted to help the rest of us instead of trying to manipulate us. Join us in trying to make a life here, to survive. I have heard you say many things about me and others, but not really one constructive thing. Give advice that helps, not words that hurt and divide."

"I have admitted I was wrong. I know that I do not have all the good ideas. I do want to be positive about this experience because I do not know if it will be over any time soon. Will you help us survive? Work with us, not against us. Words that divide us can only hurt the group. Again, these are my opinions and I know there are others out here that have good ideas, you included, but I think we need to work together on them."
irn0rchid
Lindsey waves her arm in the air without even turning around, "Blah, blah, blah. Everyone should have a say, unless they don't agree with you, at which point you'll have another say, untill they give up. Maybe she talked poor Rick to death?" She takes another bite of her food as the assembled kids titter.
Gilga
Dana follows Maya but is keeping her distance. She is in a bad mood due to the sudden change in Maya's behavior. On the positive side Maya seems to be a discovering a natural gift toward leadership. On the flip side - how can she betray them like that? What happened to Maya's democracy when living arrangements were concerned ?

Initially Dana planned to live alone - it seemed logical as she was a genetically engineered freak designed for combat. She could kill a man with her bear hands - hack she could kill a bear with her bear hands... And she had anger management issues... Dana felt like she needed her distance from the rest. When so many people poking her all the time - Dana knew that it was only a matter of time before she gives in to anger and punch someone. Her punches were probably stronger than Grok's - and look where that behavior has gotten Grok.
No - it was better for Dana to be alone, if she could not survive the wilderness with her magic - who could?

But then Maya came and so few people had followed her, that Dana figured it was an opportunity. They were not going to point fingers and mock her in a small group, they could form friendship. Following Maya was better than being alone, it offered some of the comforts and safety of society - but not that unbearable prejudice about her origin and about her gifts. Dana could live there - but then when Maya started speaking with such passion and such skill - Dana felt weak in the knees. She watched, helplessly as Maya claimed that she was wrong to leave camp... Wrong to give Dana an opportunity to form friendship, to socially blossom.

Dana looked around confused, her eyes were wet and her cheeks were blushed. It got worse as more and more people flocked to listen to Maya and eventually Dana has found herself closer to Caillin as an outsider looking at the situation.

As for Muhammad, at first he looked extremely frustrated - having Maya skillfully make his plan looks petty and ridiculous. Then he received help from the most unexpected origin - Lindsey. Lindsey has challenged Maya - and then instead of ignoring the girl - that admitted defeat, Maya has dedicated her entire attention to Lindsey and as she did, Muhammad has gotten the golden opportunity to redeem the situation. "See what I am talking about - we are being bossed around by incompetent princess that go on and on talking but cannot fend for themselves. " He said to his followers and the pack has then executed his plan, and begun marching toward the supply. Once there they ignored the guards and started snatching whatever they could carry. Satisfied they tossed torches at the supply and at the tents and used the chaos to leave camp while the rest are running around trying to put off fires.

As far as the tent was, the torches made a hole but the febric quickly melted around it and the damage was limited.

Beta
[Addie - 4th day - Main Camp]

When Dana took off again, and others followed her, Addie could just feel echoes of the second day, and suddenly it was all too much.

The sort of stinging cloud of defeat that she hadn't experienced in years came into her, and she realized that tears were leaking down her face and that she was rocking back and forth softly whimpering.

"NO -- I won't be that girl again." The thought is strong, loud, and echoes in her head briefly. It clears the cloud just long enough for her to throw herself into action. She has learned that there is one thing that could keep this at bay, and that is hard exercise. Lacking anything else, she starts running further up the hill as hard as she can. If her eyes are still wet and weak sounds are coming out of her mouth the wind in her face helps whip both of them away.

Cresting the top of the hill she waivers for a moment, not sure of where she is going. "It doesn't matter, just. keep. going. Get away from all of them."She starts heading down the slope at a breakneck pace, eventually letting out a yell containing all the frustrations of the last five days. The yell cleared her head enough to think of turning off her commlink, and it seemed to focus her will to let her settle into a solid jog, broken up by up and down hill scrambles and the occasional leap over an obstacle. The physical challenge helps her block out everything else for a long while.

Some part of her knows she is acting crazy, that she is abandoning everyone, maybe causing more problems, leaving everyone else to mess with the camp.... but it feels like if she stops moving she'll fall into some hole inside her, and never come to the bottom. So she keeps pushing herself forward until even with her improved lungs she is gasping raggedly for air and is slowing to little faster than a walk, but still she keeps pushing herself onward, stumbling into the setting sun.

Eventually the suns drops behind the mountain peaks, and just after completing one more up-hill scramble she trips -- she doesn't even know over what --and doesn't get up again. She curls up and sobs, body shuddering as everything that has gone wrong, all her fears, all her insecurities, come bursting out of her.
adamu
Maya spoke for a long time. Could have used some cuts, but pretty good for extemporaneous, Raf thought.

People seemed to be coming around. He had to hand it to her.

Then the girl Lindsey spoke. She offered no real argument, much less any sort of constructive alternative. She merely undercut in a lowest-common-denominator, rabble-rousing sort of way. Raf hadn't known her before, and still didn't, but if he had the misfortune of staying with this group, he'd be sure to watch her.

And then Muhammad took his shot. Had the girl intended to give him an opening? Raf had thought she wanted him punished. Whatever, it was on. Maybe if he'd been slated for some sort of barbaric branding ritual, he'd lead a revolt, too, Raf thought.

He watched from Maya's side as communication ended and pandemonium ensued. They went straight for the food, but it wasn't Raf's food, and he didn't think he should intervene in this camp's affairs. Same when they started burning the tents. Or trying to. They weren't attacking or trying to hurt anyone - aside from consigning them to cold and starvation - at least not yet.

He had an arrow nocked, in case they took things to the next level.

It occurred to him that they were simply better off without this sort anyway, let them go. But then he realized that they'd soon eat up the food, and then they'd become roaming predators, always an menace to anyone producing anything to eat.

He was considering whether an arrow through Muhammad's leg - or eye - would defuse or detonate the situation when he saw Rick striding purposefully into the maelstrom of testosterone-frenzied robustus youth.
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #131

A bit shocked by the speed at which the situation went to hell, Cailin just watches from afar: anything she could do - and that's not much - would not improve the situation. In fact, it would probably just make her a target. So long as no one attacks her or people from her camp, she won't act. But one thing is sure: she didn't want to stay in that camp before, but now there's no way in hell she will. This is just a powdered keg waiting to explode.
Gilga
Dana stood infront of Caillin as if to shield her from all the chaos. She was uncertain how to interfere, the situation was complex people were running and screaming fire, theft rebellion so Dana just kept an eye for her people trying to figure if any of them is in trouble.

She then softly said to Caillin, still blushed and with a hint of tears in her eyes "I think it might be the toxic mage - I hate to be the superstitious one. Though, things do escalate very quickly - and Vincent was taken then returned - the body gloves disappeared by a spirit. Rapes, rebellions - it almost feels as if someone is seeding discord in this camp. I keep telling myself that the mundane solution is 99.9% right - still there is this 0.01% that someone is pulling our strings in a certain manner to tear us apart. Even our camp is sabotaged as Maya suddenly wants to join this one instead."
Mercy
Maya should not be surprised that she had so completely failed these people, but she is. She had thought that they were listening to her, but had counted on Lindsey's words giving the Orks the opportunity to regroup and then go on a rampage. Now the food stores are stolen or in danger of burning and some of the people are scattering. She comes to a decision and calmly steps down from the table, motioning to anyone still near. "Come on, we need to try to save what food stores we can and salvage the tents if possible. Can you four please go pull the tents down and roll them in the dirt? It seems the fire is not truly effective, but we should not allow it to do more damage. Any of the rest of you that want to help, please come with me to try to save what food we can."

With that she moves quickly to the area of the food stores and tries to save something of it. She will go by herself if no one wishes to follow her.
Ennui
[???? - 4th day - First Camp #2]

I survey the area of the original site. Confused images from that time flash through my mind the confused and hallucinating as the shrooms reached their peak. Barely understanding the images and the differences between the hallucinations and reality I shake my head to clear some of the cobwebs. It doesn't work. The remains of meta-human artifice, an arrow pointing into the valley, is readily apparent as well as the sign of a large group of people moving in that direction. Shrugging I head in the direction indicated. I remain cautious but apparently these people are not likely to be enemies or they wouldn't have left such an obvious communication, though it may not have been left for me.
irn0rchid
Mentally anticipating Maya's response, Lindsey is surprised as the tone of the noise behind her changes. Turning, she sees how quickly the camp has descended into chaos, and has to use all of her willpower to avoid laughing in glee. Loudly calling out to the kids all milling around in the wake of the orc's actions, she scolds them, "What, no one lifted a hand to stop them?" Pointing up the hill where Rick can be seen barrelling down it, "Rick is sooooo not going to be happy!" Seeing Maya head for the food stores she mentally calls to her spirit which comes charging into camp, blowing past Maya and almost knocking her over, before grabbing the torches and any of the stores that had caught fire and piling them up in a dirt area where they can't do any more harm. Lindsey walks over and starts kicking dirt on to the burning pile while the four kids directed by Maya do similar with the smouldering tent.
Mercy
Maya is heading quickly to where the food stores are burning when she is almost knocked down by a manifested spirit rushing past her. By the time she regains her balance and gets to the location, the spirit has already begun moving the supplies from the burning crates. Maya rushes in to assist the spirit, who is very effective but is still only one person. The soot and smoke make it difficult to see and the flames in some places are intense and Maya is turned back several times. She feels her hair crinkle and can smell some of it burn away. After ferrying a few loads of supplies from burning crates, Maya sees that Lindsey has walked over to where they are stacking things and kicking dirt around to help put out any small fires there.

Maya spares a few rather uncivil thoughts about the other girl and perhaps that distraction causes the accident. She trips and falls sideways as she is passing one of the blazes, landing on her side in the flames. She screams out in agony as the fire quickly catches hold of her simple flats and burns at her flesh. That the clothes are so flimsy probably prevents further damage as they are burned away very quickly, but even as she rolls out of the flames and into the dirt to put the fire out, Maya knows that she has been injured and will probably add burn scars to her body to accompany the ones left by the cat. She tries to stand and move away, but the pain is too much for her and she collapses in a heap between two of the burning crates.
Gilga
Dana's eyes are constantly on Maya and when she stumbles Dana darts in, sprinting toward the girl. Her move is so swift that only a split seconds passes since Maya stumbles and until Dana rushes in to help. As Dana covers in the distance, she sees that a spirit wheels Maya out of the fire. Dana signals the spirit to handle Maya, and the spirit complies.

Dana swiftly tend to Maya's wounds and whispers "Poor thing" to Maya. She places her hand on Maya's wounds and softly sing a few Hebrew words from Psalms. The words were not strictly necessary but they were beautiful.

She signals to Raff that was not far from there - "Go see if anyone else is hurt." Dana feels a shamed for not caring, she cannot comprehend how Maya can risk her life for the same people that have conveniently lost her body glove and refused to hand it over or trade for it.
[ Spoiler ]
irn0rchid
When Maya wades into the smoke and fire behind the spirit, Lindsey can't help but watch the unnecessary trainwreck. Sure enough, it's not long before Maya's efforts are rewarded with fire. About to give in to the temptation to let the annoying girl that never shuts up get consumed with the other supplies, Lindsey hears the voice that has recently been oddly silent, "What does it serve you to let her burn?" Pausing, she considers and realizes that really, she gains nothing, but by saving her, then Maya would owe her. Path chosen, she quickly orders the spirit to stop saving the supplies and to bear Maya's burned body out of the fire without touching her and deliver her to her friends. Following behind the spirit and floating form, she calls out to Dana and Cailin, "Your illustrious leader seems to speak *and* act without thinking."

With the spirit no longer assisting with the storage fire, it quickly grows and surges across the pile of unburned supplies.
Gilga
As fast as Dana was she could not compete, with the spirit, but it was embarrassingly easy for her to put fires away, simply choke it with dirt. Dana shaped the earth in order to put whatever was left from the supply in tact. Once Maya was stabalized, Dana eyed Lindsey and said"Thanks for saving her, she is quite passionate - and seem to speak better than she can handle fire. Do you need a hand with Muhammad?"
Mercy
Maya wakes to excruciating pain, then Dana is leaning over her and whispering words she does not understand. Half delirious, she laughs and says, "Of course. I do not know Hebrew. I will have to le..............." She falls unconscious as the healing magic flows through her body, keeping the shock at bay for the time being.
irn0rchid
Lindsey's response is interrupted by a growl from Rick as he strides past them. Turning back to Dana, Lindsey snickers, "No, I think Rick is going to handle Muhammad. If you want to help him, feel free. I'm just going to watch the fireworks."
Gilga
Dana answers Lindsey "As much as I'd like to, I'll stick to Maya." She said and then with the help of Raff and Caillin places Maya on one of the tiger pelts, covering her as much as she can. Everything seems different, but could so many different people really be a single tribe? Both Rick and Maya were idealistic to think that cooperate kids could live and trust with street kids, and no wonder the gang leader was after the rebellious rich kid. This was not a better society, the conflict and division of the outside world has manifested all the same in these camps.

Perhaps both Maya and Rick had it backwards, instead of pursuing impossible unity that supposedly made everyone stronger. Perhaps we needed less day to day interaction and more long term one. Perhaps the kids were so hostile towards Dana's camp because they wanted to establish a small camp of their own. A strength of a society after all was not just about how many healthy teens it had, it was also about how deep their bounds of friendship were. People that feels threatened and afraid made bad partners.

If Rick is to kill Muhammad will it make him a stronger leader ? Perhaps so - but what was the point? "naturam quidem mutare difficile est" she said with acceptance.
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #132

Cailin stands a bit behind Dana. She seems to hesitate a bit, but then decides to follow Rick "I'll try to make sure nothing bad happens to him." She looks at Maya, then shakes her head "From what I heard, it seemed she wouldn't like that I suppose."

Frowning, she looks at Rick's back "But if I have to intervene, it will probably do more arm than good as far as camp leadership is concerned that is." she shakes her head "Whatever happens, I'll come back soon. Oh and..." she glances at Maya then Dana "You can levitate her you know, would be much easier..."
Gilga
Dana said to Caillin "Nonesense, you stay here with Maya and Raff, I do not want you to witness it. It is going to be ugly " Said Dana and made it clear that she was the one to go after Rick. The way Dana perceived Caillin - she was clearly not ready to witness a fight to life and death.
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #133

Cailin seems to hesitate for a second, but ends up nodding "Ok. I'll take Maya and wait for you by the big tree we walked past before entering this camp. I don't want to stay in the middle of all this, in case it degenerates. More than it already is, that is..."

With that, Cailin will have Maya levitating, and get on her way, glancing at Raf' and Summer to see what they want to do.
adamu
Raf was more than happy to also leave - not only out of loyalty to Maya, with with her quixotic quest now a shambles, the camp held even less appeal for him than it had before. He fell in with Cailin, walking alongside the floating Maya. It struck him that the levitation business was an amazing solution to the perennial challenge with burn victims of keeping them their healing flesh out of contact with the bed.

But of course Maya was not burned that extensively, and Dana's healing had repaired the worst of the damage. Still, she was in for a lot of pain in the days ahead.
Mercy
Maya regains consciousness as she is being transported. The sensation of being moved by telekinesis is a novel one, but the pain she is suffering through demands her attention. She moans then takes a look about her. "Wait, Cailin, please. We can't just leave. There are people here that are looking for some sort of leadership, some sort of answer. We can provide that for them, help them. We cannot just abandon them to this chaos. Even if some of them do not listen, there will be some that do, perhaps many. Please take me back there. I hurt, but it is more important that they see us as a source of strength, not running away. Please, I have to go back there." She looks about again. "Of course, it appears that I will need clothes. Perhaps the blanket will do. Raf? You and Summer will help me, right?"
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #134

Cailin stops, looking at Maya with a frown "Yes we can. They will get them. No you can't. Yes we can. And finally, no I won't." She stays silent for a moment, glaring at Maya.

"Right now, there is no way you can do anything about what is happening. Rick is probably going to kill Muhammad, most of the orcs left. I don't need to tell you what happened to the tents and the food. No one will want to listen to you, even if you were the greatest orator on Earth." she shakes her head, sadly now "You did what you could. Those that would hear you, heard you. And may join us. We will wait for Dana near that tree" she indicates a big tree with her chin "Anyone that wants to can join us. But that camp? It has imploded. A big camp like that cannot work. Too many different people, too many people that can't understand each other, that don't even want to. And, some people make sure they won't."

She seems a bit...maybe angry? Then she sighs "What you can do, what you should do, is make sure that what we have survives this. Offering a stable and better alternative is the best way to do it. If you were to try to save this big camp, you would always have at least half of the camp against you. And for a camp to work, in those conditions, everyone must pull in the same direction."

She grunts, but sets Maya back on her feet "I will not go back to that camp. I didn't want to before, and I want it even less now. Pretty sure I'm not the only one either. But if you still want to go there, for a crusade you just can't win, and that would be a huge waste..." she shrugs and turns away, walking towards the big tree.
Mercy
Maya grunts a bit as Cailin sets her down. She wraps the blanket about her and turns to take Cailin's arm before she leaves. "Cailin, you are very wise and probably quite correct about what is happening and what little I can do. But there are people that are lost and need help. I would like to walk among them and tell some that they can find help at the tree. Will you agree to that? You know I will not try to force you. Everyone has a say and a vote, remember? Will you wait for me there for a bit?"
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #135

Cailin shrugs "Do whatever you feel is right. I said I would wait for Dana, that is what I will do. But don't speak of votes. I didn't hear you speak about votes when you decided to stay here. It may have been your choice, but as the de facto leader of our camp, it concerned all of us." She shakes her head "You are so focused on those that don't want your help that you just forgot about us." She grunts "Whatever. Don't say anything near Rick, he will react badly and probably violently now to any challenge of his authority. Which is exactly what you are intending to do."
Mercy
Maya stops cold then speaks softly. "You are right, of course. I am ashamed. I was thinking I knew what might help and have got all of you caught up in this without following our rules. Will you help me walk to the tree? We can wait there and see if others will come to us. Are you willing to let our group expand to include others? Raferty? Summer? I do not know where Dana and Vincent are to talk to them about this." She bows her head and lets tears fall. "I have messed this up a lot and do not now know how to make it better. My heart goes out to people like Dot and others that might look to us for guidance and may be swept away in the violence without ever knowing we can help them survive."
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #136

Cailin doesn't seem particularly pleased to have "won" the argument. Mostly, she's tired, stressed, hungry, she feels dirty, and it shows. "Dana is looking after Rick. Something I wanted to do but...well, she insisted. Vincent went away I don't know for what. I don't understand him. I haven't seen Addie for a while either now that I think about it, she was probably in the middle of the camp but I was probably too far to see her." She looks to the sky for a moment, then adds "As for the others. Dot is big. Literally and figuratively. If there's one person I'm not worried about in this camp, it's her. And, she already knows where we stand. If she decides to, she knows where to find us. And you know she will gather those she feels good with, and they probably would be people we could agree to. And when she does so, it won't provoke the waves that your presence there would."
Mercy
Maya slumps her shoulders and sighs. "Yes. Lets go to the tree and see if anyone joins us. Thank you for pointing out what I could not see about myself. Thank you." Maya walks slowly to the tree and sits down with her back to it.
Ennui
[???--day 4--edge of the main camp]

I watch the goings on from a nearby tree. The main camp appears to be chaos and a few smaller groups have formed at the edges. One elven girl is sitting with 2 others and another group of orcs seem to be chased by a lone orc and an elven girl. After a few moments I decide the main camp does not look promising, but perhaps the smaller group.
adamu
Raf had pretty much thought Cailin was the cat's pajamas before (too bad she hated him now). But when the girl actually talked Maya out of her reckless idealism (Raf thought of himself more as a pragmatic idealist) she pretty much sprouted a halo.

For now, though, he concentrated on getting Maya comfortable and himself ready. He still had an arrow nocked, wary of marauding orks.
Mercy
Maya sits down and lets Raferty see to her comfort. Summer is beside her and makes sure that the blanket covers Maya's nakedness. Maya looks at her remaining companions and smiles. **These really are the best.** She tries to look around for other kids but does not see anyone near, although several are still milling around in the near distance. Not really speaking to anyone in particular, she says, "Such a tragedy. There was so much potential here. It would be nice..................oh, frag. Just frag."
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #136

Cailin looks at the blanket with a grunt "That's depressing." Shaking her head she touches the blanket and obviously casts some spell. It takes a moment, but the blanket starts to change, to mould itself around Maya's body. For a moment, it looks like Cailin wouldn't manage to achieve what she wanted, but after a few more seconds the blanket has transformed into a long coat with the front legs becoming sleeves.

"There." rubbing her head, Cailin leans back against the tree and closes her eyes.

[ Spoiler ]
Mercy
Maya is surprised at Cailin's effort to help her, but realizes that she should not be. The effect on the coat is quite nice and Maya reaches out a hand to touch Cailin's. "Thank you, Cailin. That was very nice of you And thank you for being truer to our principals than I was. You were quite right and I am sorry for ignoring your say and your vote." She chuckles softly, because more hurts and she wants to avoid pain for now. "I am not a very good leader, am I? Perhaps you would make a better choice for us? Would you consider it?"
Aria
Day 4, South West of the Big Camp

The marauding orcs make a beeline for the cover of the trees keen to put as much distance between themselves and the chaos they wrought as quickly as possible. Rick followed, moving surprisingly quickly and assuredly for a city dweller…it would seem the Puyallup Barrens have equipped him for the wilderness rather better than the average street rat. Rather than pursuing directly behind he swung wide clearly intending to get ahead of them, and indeed that seems like it might be possible as the orcs slowed considerably when they got to the unfamiliar territory of the woods. Although the pines were relatively open and from a distance fairly normal looking, on closer inspection the corruption of this place is more evident and despite the show of bravado they were clearly spooked by what they had done and the implications of running off in to the wilds behind a dubious leader…

Day 4, Remains of the Big Camp

The fires are brought under control and then the realisation of the loss slowly begins to settle in…groups of kids wander aimlessly around the wreckage, some arguing loudly, others just crying to themselves or whisper in small knots throwing furtive looks at the others around them. The girls gravitate towards Lindsey, hoping that she will have some direction for them…

Day 4, River Valley North West of the Big Camp

Blank’s journey has been shockingly uneventful so far…the expected pursuit doesn’t seem to have materialised, probably just as well, leaving him alone in the wilderness. One startling discovery though, a crate, considerably older looking judging by the patination on it, yields up a bounty! Inside, neatly packaged in shrink wrap are about fifty sets of tight fitting clothing, each with a name stencilled on… although they are clearly tailored garments you find one that will do you more or less…
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #137

Cailin stays silent for a moment. After a while, not opening her eyes, she sighs "You know, the main thing that makes you a 'not very good leader' is the fact that you keep repeating that. No one wants to follow someone who doesn't know what she's doing. If you don't know, pretend. And ask those who may know before someone exposes you." She pauses then groans "As for me? I'm a girl, I'm twelve, I'm a Mage. Do you really think I could lead anything here?" she shakes her head, then adds "At best, I could be your soul. The one that kicks you when you try to forget who and what we are. But lead? No."
Gilga
Dana accompany Rick and maintains constant distance from him. Rick obviously did not invite her and his speed was hinting that what he wanted to do, he wanted to do alone. Dana did not give up, she was a brilliant athlete and could run just as well as a bulky orc from Puyallup. The hunters were running away from the camp, away from rick and away from responsibility to their actions, Rick was after the hunters and after his own leadership. Dana however, was worried from something else entirely, the direction the orcs were taking should lead them directly to the toxic lake. A toxic lake they knew nothing about. They were so focused on getting out of one danger, that they were quickly getting into another one.

Eventually, the orcs slow, either getting ready to camp or trying to decide what to do next. Signs of curruption became increasingly evident over the last two hours and the scenery where they now stood seemed to be taken out of a dark drawing. Rick stopped, hidden from sight and was catching his breath. He needed a pause to be sneaky and Dana has needed it as well.

Rick looked at Dana, surprised that she managed to keep up, and then Dana said "Rick, we all are getting dangerously close to the toxic lake, keep your eyes open." The sun was about to set, and as darkness covered the wilderness, a wolf was crying. Pausing down, in that cursed place Dana begun to feel the implications of her choice. She looked at the Orc, hoping that by now he decided to accept her help.
Ennui
[??? - 4th day - Main Camp]

The folks at the tree don't catch it at first, something is tickling their minds, old memories brought to the front of their awareness. An old tune that most have seemed to have forgotten but can be remembered from their childhood if they try hard enough. The words don't sound the same, they sound lighter, playful even. You don't shake from their reverie until noticing that someone is signing nearby and heading this way.

A young Elfin girl, not much older than Cailin comes out of the brush and makes a big wave using her whole arm.

Hengar Sperethiel?
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #138

Eyes closed, Cailin had been humming to herself for a moment when she heard Sperethiel. Opening her eyes, curious, she soon notices the other girl. Not one she ever saw though... Still, that doesn't prevent her from answering in the same language. She's not bilingual for nothing after all "Of course."
Mercy
Maya looks at Cailin and says, "Yes, of course. Alright, leader it is, and you can be my soul, if you will take the job. Thank you." She goes quiet for a bit, looking at the people running about, many aimlessly. The four people at the tree are like a small knot of calm in the chaos and first one person then another gravitate that way. Without saying a word, they come to the tree and stand or sit near the others. Soon there are eight people besides the original four, some asking permission to be there, but others just quietly taking a seat.

Maya is looking about at the newcomers, recognizing some by face, and nods to them all as they arrive, increasing the size of what appears to be the only really stable group in the area. She is looking in a different direction when the Elf shows up and asks if anyone speaks Sperethiel. She is about to say something when Cailin answers, so she just nods and raises her hand.
Aria
Rick nodded to Dana

"Right, let's round up our lost sheep..." and with a strange expression on his face he twitched his right hand and something silvery but barely seen slithers sibilantly out of his hand...

"Lets at least try not to kill any of these fragging idiots!"
Gilga
Was that... a shiver passed Dana's spine and then excitement filled her body. "Was that a mono-whip?" She thought and could feel her heart racing with excitement. Her hair announced her feelings by switching to that deep shade it gets when Dana is excited, or aroused? Dana has never seen a mono-whip, and was not even sure that she has seen one now, but the stories, they were incredible they spoke of a whip that can cut an adult man in two... just like that. Dana could feel her body language betraying her as she tried to mask her eagerness to see the technological wonder in action.

"Even Muhammad?" Asked Dana with a soft whisper a bit confused "I thought we'll make an example out of him." She whispered.

(I assumed that Rick do wants to make an example of Muhammad, but I would not put these words in his mouth - I'll edit if he has something else entirely in his mind.)

... With great anticipation and and trying to combat an irrational lust, Dana quietly sneaked with Rick hoping that this thing will be strong, gore and violent... and that just one kid will die.
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012