Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am completely unimpressed with Fallout 4.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Tanegar
I understand that widescreen monitors are the norm on new systems, but I don't believe for a second that 4:3 screens don't still have a significant installed base. No native support for 4:3 aspect ratios is incredibly fucking stupid.

Then there's the "invisible lockpicking" bug. How did this get through QA?

I've barely played at all, less than 2 hours, and I'm already considering putting the game aside until it's patched up. These technical issues do not give me confidence.
Iduno
It's also been 9 months. It was expected to be hilariously buggy on release, but they should have gotten around to fixing most things by now.

To be fair, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are still buggy.
Stahlseele
And they are also still better than 4 . .
Raiderj
Not to mention there is no way to unite the factions... I cannot tell you how many replays I did looking for this option. Then I look it up, surprise!, you can't! Not like I wanted a perfect good ending... Or at least a non-crapsack ending... This is the same reason I hated Bioshock Infinite by the way.
Tanegar
There was another patch today. I don't know what, if anything, was changed or fixed, but it didn't add 4:3 support or fix the invisible lockpicking bug.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Jul 23 2016, 08:27 PM) *
Not to mention there is no way to unite the factions... I cannot tell you how many replays I did looking for this option. Then I look it up, surprise!, you can't! Not like I wanted a perfect good ending... Or at least a non-crapsack ending... This is the same reason I hated Bioshock Infinite by the way.

You can get three of the four factions aligned. The fourth unfortunately is completely incompatible with at least two of the others.

Maybe I've been lucky, had none of the bugs that keep getting discussed.

-k
Raiderj
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 31 2016, 12:27 AM) *
You can get three of the four factions aligned. The fourth unfortunately is completely incompatible with at least two of the others.

Maybe I've been lucky, had none of the bugs that keep getting discussed.

-k

I havent gotten that info yet! Ill try another playthrough!
KarmaInferno
Without giving away too much, it does involve stopping all of the faction's questlines at a certain point, because those eventually result in each of them trying to destroy everyone else but the Minutemen.

Search for "fallout 4 three factions alive" if you don't mind more specific spoilers.

-k
KarmaInferno
Re: invisible lockpick bug

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...2jWoC38spPZAFKA

This shows how you can manually fix the invisible lockpick bug. It seems to be related to the screen aspect ratio, the video shows how to go into the Fallout settings file and adjust the screen resolution the game thinks it is at.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-run-fallout...-on-43-display/

This page indicates the lockpick bug fix may also solve your 4:3 aspect ratio woes.

-k
Tanegar
Thanks for trying, but I've already done both of those. Editing the .ini files is how I got Fallout 4 to run on my monitor (there's no letterbox mode that I can find), but setting it to 1279x1023 doesn't solve the invisible lockpicking bug for me.

I sincerely want to know how this game made it through beta testing. Did all the testers have brand-new rigs specifically designed for the game?
Iduno
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 31 2016, 11:43 PM) *
I sincerely want to know how this game made it through beta testing.

What do you think you're doing? The only difference is, they got you to pay for it first.
nezumi
Sorry to hear it. I've played every single Fallout game (including parts of Brotherhood of Steel) except this one. I figured I'd wait until the bugs are ironed out and the awesome mods are available. But the more I hear about it, it sounds mostly like running and gunning and less like the exciting exploration and role-playing I'd hope for. I might actually skip a Fallout game.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 31 2016, 11:43 PM) *
Thanks for trying, but I've already done both of those. Editing the .ini files is how I got Fallout 4 to run on my monitor (there's no letterbox mode that I can find), but setting it to 1279x1023 doesn't solve the invisible lockpicking bug for me.

I sincerely want to know how this game made it through beta testing. Did all the testers have brand-new rigs specifically designed for the game?

Sorry to hear it didn't work. As I said, I think I'm lucky in that I have yet to run into any of the commonly reported bugs, except the Steam Updater one (If Steam updates, you have to completely exit Steam and log back in before FO4 will start up properly.)

I'm running like over 100 mods to the game as well, no glitches. I do have a widescreen, though.

Huh. Somewhat related, someone made a Predator V mod for the game:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16758/?

Nezumi, FO4 is really no more or less Roleplaying focused than Fallout New Vegas or Fallout 3 was. There's a lengthy main storyline, multiple factions to juggle, massive amounts of non-combat interaction. There's plenty of combat, to be sure, but there's a ton of exploration as well. Been playing since launch and despite hundreds of hours sunk into the game I'm still finding content I missed.

There are some parts I don't like. The repeatable quests are mostly boring. The game combat AI is kinda stupid. But overall it's been a good experience.

I will say I spend a huge amount of time playing with the settlement system, and have transformed the Boston area into a network of heavily armed fortresses. If you're not into Minecraft-style building games, that part of Fallout 4 will not appeal. So far four of the five released released DLC have had a large chunk focused on the Settlement System as well.

Speaking on the DLC, they are another disappointment in that they are really story-lite except for Far Harbor. I'll have to see how the upcoming Nuka World DLC is. Fortunately I got the season pass when it was still cheap. It's now nearly double the price and I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

-k
KarmaInferno
Tanegar, have you tried this?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/143/?

Mod that purports to solve the lockpick/aspect ratio bug.

-k
Tanegar
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 3 2016, 02:44 AM) *
Tanegar, have you tried this?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/143/?

Mod that purports to solve the lockpick/aspect ratio bug.

-k

Thanks, man, that works perfectly.

Of course, it's now been so long since I played last that I'm considering starting over; also, I made a mistake in chargen that I want to fix. I maxed out my Intelligence, because I wanted to max out my skill points per level from the beginning, but I didn't know that Fallout 4 did away with skill points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012